Options

[Pokemon], Home of Legendary Opinions and Victini Promos

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean they won't all be ice

Right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i would like an onix that is made of coconuts and/or bamboo please

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I would like a Jigglypuff

made of Fire

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Right

The Exeggutor became Grass / Dragon, so ice typing isn't a guarantee

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Right

Nah. I think they'll have fun with that volcano and the electric area.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    A new fire type drifloon that lives around volcanoes to fill itself with hot air

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Redesigned Pokemon are cool. Imagine the other ones they could do! An Ice type Onix! An Ice type Volcarona! Or a Scyther with redesigned blades... Made of ice!

But seriously, imagine re-typed starters. Like, like X and Y, with a twist.
    Maybe we'll finally get that Crystal Onix from the anime.

Although I hope it's not just "a bunch of classic Pokemon that are Ice now" because Ice is a really crappy typing, defensively.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    a pumpkaboo but its a cocoanut

• Options
    I'm stickin' with Hula Ludicolo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So ostensibly there's a way to get the non-Alola forms

And a bunch of Pokemon this gen are invasive species from the mainland

And the alola region seems kinda small

And people have wanted to travel back to an old region again ever since gold and silver did that

And we already have a region that represents the mainland United States

Just, yknow

Sayin

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Man, I'd really rather they went with new pokemon over Alola forms.

• Options
    So ostensibly there's a way to get the non-Alola forms

And a bunch of Pokemon this gem are invasive species from the mainland

And the alola region seems kinda small

And people have wanted to travel back to an old region again ever since gold and silver did that

And we already have a region that represents the mainland United States

Just, yknow

Sayin

On the one hand, I'd be all down for visiting another region. But on the other, we've already had two distinct games in Unova, given that BW2 were brand new games. I think, as much as I don't like it, it would make the most sense to revisit Sinnoh as it's the place we've seen the least and maybe it showing up in this game would be enough for the handful of people who inexplicably want Diamond/Pearl remakes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I am a big proponent of alola forms of only because exeggcutor is great and has deserved to be a better Pokemon for over a decade

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD Gumshoos has the ability Stakeout, I love it.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

I keep seeing this

That's really not how character design works

The alternate forms are not "taking up design space" or whatever, just like Dark Pit didn't "steal" a character slot in Smash Bros

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    someone should really tell Game Freak what a dragon is, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    So this is interesting
    There are two conditions for performing Z-Moves: a Pokémon must learn a move of the same type as a Z-Crystal, and it must be holding the corresponding Z-Crystal.

Sounds like some weird combination of Mega Stones and Plates. But the Z-Move your Pokemon uses doesn't have to be one of its types, just a type of a move it knows. Which adds an interesting twist to picking moves for your Pokemon. Also means that practically every Pokemon will be able to use the Poison-type Z-Move.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

I keep seeing this

The alternate forms are not "taking up design space" or whatever, just like Dark Pit didn't "steal" a character slot in Smash Bros

Sure it is? You have limited people, time, and money spent on any project.
    By definition taking time, people and resources into developing one form of a pokemon means you do not have these things for other pokemon.

if it takes 3 designers 2 weeks collaborating to make a pokemon design, and pay them $x per hour, and you have $y budget for pokemon design...

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Literally every Pokemon sequel has allocated a little bit of space for new evolutions/pre evolutions/forms of old Pokemon

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Who are you to tell a dragon what it can or can't be?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Z-Crystal is the power rangers-est shit ever holy crap

• Options
    Literally every Pokemon sequel has allocated a little bit of space for new evolutions/pre evolutions/forms of old Pokemon

Gen V.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

I keep seeing this

By definition taking time, people and resources into developing one form of a pokemon means you do not have these things for other pokemon.

if it takes 3 designers 2 weeks collaborating to make a pokemon design, and pay them $x per hour, and you have $y budget for pokemon design...

It takes less time to tweak an existing design than to make one from scratch

• Options
    Z-Crystal is the power rangers-est shit ever holy crap

All they need is a mechanic where you give each of the Pokemon in your team a different crystal and they combine into one giant Pokemon.

(I would not like this, for the record. Not because it's not cool, but because it would complicate the battle system in a way I do not appreciate)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I mean it IS like, a species of thing

If someone told me that my dog was actually a horse they would be a liar

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I keep seeing this

Sure does. Doesnt stop resource allocation being a question though does it?
    Again. If it takes 3 designers 2 weeks to make a new design. And 3 designers 1 week to rehash an old one. Then you can make 2 changes rather than 1 new design.
    But it's still taking up your resources that you have allocated to pokemon design budget.

• Options

I mean it IS like, a species of thing

If someone told me that my dog was actually a horse they would be a liar

Uh I have some bad news for you, buddy

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Gen V.

Huh okay yeah

Still it is hardly a new thing

• Options

I keep seeing this

Again. If it takes 3 designers 2 weeks to make a new design. And 3 designers 1 week to rehash an old one. Then you can make 2 changes rather than 1 new design.
    But it's still taking up your resources that you have allocated to pokemon design budget.

And when you only have one week left...

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    gen v was all-new all-different pokemon

also my least favourite gen for that reason

• Options

Gen V.

Huh okay yeah

Still it is hardly a new thing

Yeah, I wasn't arguing the main point--I actually agree, just immediately thought of that when you said "every one". Frankly "no direct ties to the other games" was kind of the Gen V gimmick and it's totally the exception that proves the rule.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i'm not gonna say that finding new ways to play with old pokes is better than new pokes, but it's almost as important in my mind

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    And to be fair gen V totally included a Luvdisc evolution that they forgot to actually make evolve from luvdisc

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    aaaaaaaand there's a flower mantis pokemon

...I'm gonna come home and it's going to be floor to ceiling Lurantis pictures

• Options
    And to be fair gen V totally included a Luvdisc evolution that they forgot to actually make evolve from luvdisc

I guarantee someone at GameFreak made this Luvdisc evo (for god knows what reason) and then the word came down that there weren't going to be any old Pokemon in the regional dex and he was all "well I already made it so we're using it."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I keep seeing this

Then you got time management problems. just like everybody else! :P

But, still. At some point during development somebody via artistic decisions, or economic reasons, allocated budget/time towards pokemon (re)designing. Suggesting that you have infinite time/money/people and so 1 design isnt "taking away" from another is foolish. There's a hard limit to how much development can go into the next pokemon game. Whether they chose to do redesigns or not is irrelevant. Some of the (Finite!) resources went to them, rather than designing new pokemon (For whatever reason they did redesigns is again, irrelevant.)

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Like, it probably wasn't a matter of, "We need a Pokemon to fill this route, maybe an Ice type that's also a Steel type. Let's flip a coin to see whether it's a new Pokemon or a redesigned old one." It was more likely that if they didn't try the redesign thing, those routes would have a different old Poke or one less.

• Options

I keep seeing this

it wouldn't be even CLOSE to this ratio

it probably took the same amount of time to redesign the pokemon models for the new game for every pokemon as it took to color vulpix white

At that point you may as well be saying they shouldn't be bothering with backgrounds and graphics and should just spend all time on pokemon because every mailbox and street sign takes away from new pokemon

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    That trailer was awesome!

I'm starting to wonder if they've ditched megas?

Still plenty of time, I guess

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

I keep seeing this

Then you got time management problems. just like everybody else! :P

But, still. At some point during development somebody via artistic decisions, or economic reasons, allocated budget/time towards pokemon (re)designing. Suggesting that you have infinite time/money/people and so 1 design isnt "taking away" from another is foolish. There's a hard limit to how much development can go into the next pokemon game. Whether they chose to do redesigns or not is irrelevant. Some of the (Finite!) resources went to them, rather than designing new pokemon (For whatever reason they did redesigns is again, irrelevant.)

There's no way Gen VI having the smallest ever selection of new Pokemon and also having a bunch of Megas was a coincidence. I'm not going to claim causality one way or the other (Megas to cover for limited design time or vice versa) but the two are almost definitely linked.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.