Options

[Pokemon], Home of Legendary Opinions and Victini Promos

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    Man, I'd really rather they went with new pokemon over Alola forms.

I keep seeing this

That's really not how character design works

The alternate forms are not "taking up design space" or whatever, just like Dark Pit didn't "steal" a character slot in Smash Bros

Sure it is? You have limited people, time, and money spent on any project.
    By definition taking time, people and resources into developing one form of a pokemon means you do not have these things for other pokemon.

if it takes 3 designers 2 weeks collaborating to make a pokemon design, and pay them $x per hour, and you have $y budget for pokemon design...

It takes less time to tweak an existing design than to make one from scratch

Sure does. Doesnt stop resource allocation being a question though does it?
    Again. If it takes 3 designers 2 weeks to make a new design. And 3 designers 1 week to rehash an old one. Then you can make 2 changes rather than 1 new design.
    But it's still taking up your resources that you have allocated to pokemon design budget.

And when you only have one week left...

Then you got time management problems. just like everybody else! :P

But, still. At some point during development somebody via artistic decisions, or economic reasons, allocated budget/time towards pokemon (re)designing. Suggesting that you have infinite time/money/people and so 1 design isnt "taking away" from another is foolish. There's a hard limit to how much development can go into the next pokemon game. Whether they chose to do redesigns or not is irrelevant. Some of the (Finite!) resources went to them, rather than designing new pokemon (For whatever reason they did redesigns is again, irrelevant.)

this is 100% not how it would have worked out

They had their time to design new pokes and used it, and then said oh also we could do this other fun thing and it'll only take a couple weeks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    wait, Lurantis isn't a bug type

that's some BS

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

I keep seeing this

The alternate forms are not "taking up design space" or whatever, just like Dark Pit didn't "steal" a character slot in Smash Bros

Sure it is? You have limited people, time, and money spent on any project.
    By definition taking time, people and resources into developing one form of a pokemon means you do not have these things for other pokemon.

if it takes 3 designers 2 weeks collaborating to make a pokemon design, and pay them $x per hour, and you have $y budget for pokemon design...

It takes less time to tweak an existing design than to make one from scratch

Sure does. Doesnt stop resource allocation being a question though does it?
    Again. If it takes 3 designers 2 weeks to make a new design. And 3 designers 1 week to rehash an old one. Then you can make 2 changes rather than 1 new design.
    But it's still taking up your resources that you have allocated to pokemon design budget.

it wouldn't be even CLOSE to this ratio

it probably took the same amount of time to redesign the pokemon models for the new game for every pokemon as it took to color vulpix white

At that point you may as well be saying they shouldn't be bothering with backgrounds and graphics and should just spend all time on pokemon because every mailbox and street sign takes away from new pokemon

I dont see how the amount of resources per object is called into question here.
    Suggesting that they spend less on ANY area and more on pokemon designs is valid. We might suggest that it's silly. But it's still a valid feeling.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    That trailer was awesome!

I'm starting to wonder if they've ditched megas?

Still plenty of time, I guess

Yeah, with each new trailer that doesn't feature even a hint of Mega evolution, I get more suspicious that it's a Gen VI gimmick only. Which I've half-suspected since Day 1, since it's tied to an item and, thus, easy to leave behind.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Can't wait for dragonslayers Sandslash and Ninetails

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The secret is that they plan ahead about how many new pokemon they want to make instead of just making new ones until they run out of time

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Not to mention slowing their roll out of new Pokemon in gen 6 and 7 is probably a good thing, considering the total amount of Pokemon is constantly skyrocketing. Better to give some more spotlight to older Pokemon, whether they be classics or more obscure ones.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    The secret is that they plan ahead about how many new pokemon they want to make instead of just making new ones until they run out of time

I dunno about that. Pretty sure just about every generation features Pokemon that were originally planned for a previous game and got dropped because they didn't want to put them in or ran out of time. It's a known fact that a good chunk of Gen II was content dropped from Red/Green (likely due to space constraints at that time) and I'm pretty sure a handful of other Pokemon throughout the years have been confirmed to have gone through similar design flows.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    That gumshoes thing bothers me cause it looks like it has trumps hair

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    is there gonna be an Aloha Farfetch'd

maybe wearing a Lei?

please

please

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Mongoose crossed with Columbo has to be the oddest Pokemon mash up concept yet.

Awesome, but crazy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Mega Evos seem pretty popular, it'd be weird to leave them behind. But if they did, would it just mean no new Megas? Or would you not be able to use the old ones either?

• Options
    Mega Evos seem pretty popular, it'd be weird to leave them behind. But if they did, would it just mean no new Megas? Or would you not be able to use the old ones either?

There wouldn't be any Megas. Because you can't mega evolve without Mega Stones and you can't transfer items through the Bank.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    ALOLA EXEGGUTOR IS 35 FEET TALL

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Time to bring back Pokemon following you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I severely doubt they're going to completely strip megas out

even if there aren't new ones there will be a shop with mega stones

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

I keep seeing this

They took up design hours, and design ideas that could've went into making new pokemon instead. If you wanted to make an ice/steel rodent, you could make one that isn't a Sandshrew. So, yeah, it does kind of work that way, a little bit.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I severely doubt they're going to completely strip megas out

even if there aren't new ones there will be a shop with mega stones

Mega stones are primo Battle Noun items

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I hope you're right - I love Mega Fire Karate Chicken.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Eh, they should either add lots more megas, or ditch megas entirely

Leaving things as is would be the worst choice

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Oh they easily could drop Megas. "Introduce new thing in a generation that the story of the game is built around and/or everyone loves then completely drop it forever" is practically in the Pokemon Style Guide.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    That trailer was awesome!

I'm starting to wonder if they've ditched megas?

Still plenty of time, I guess

I think Alola Forms are the new Mega Forms. They'll probably still carry over the old Megas, but I don't think they'll make new ones.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Oh they easily could drop Megas. "Introduce new thing in a generation that the story of the game is built around and/or everyone loves then completely drop it forever" is practically in the Pokemon Style Guide.

Yeah but that's been for side features, not things that directly tie in to the battle system

They've had to shoehorn in some kind of electrically charged area in every game since gen IV so nosepass and magneton can evolve

Speed Racer on
  • Options

Yeah but that's been for side features, not things that directly tie in to the battle system

They've had to shoehorn in some kind of electrically charged area in every game since gen IV so nosepass and magneton can evolve

Eh, Mega evolutions aren't new Pokedex entries or tied to really anything. There's no real reason they'd have to keep them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

that poke has earned the right to call itself a dragon I think

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    If they do another gen 7 game set somewhere else they'll need something other than alola forms

Then again this gen is butting up against the next Nintendo handheld just like gen v was, so it's possible it'll also be a more truncated gen or have sequel games or something

• Options
    Oh yeah as a real answer to @Mr. G's complaint about Dragons, Dragons have existed in many cultures in many different forms, many of which do not share a lot of common characteristics. Dragons don't represent a real physical thing so much as they do the idea of something great and magical. A dragon can come in many forms, limited only by your imagination. It's not at all like calling a dog a horse because dogs and horses aren't mythical concepts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Eh, Mega evolutions aren't new Pokedex entries or tied to really anything. There's no real reason they'd have to keep them.

There was also no reason to keep natures, abilities, or held items, yet here we are

I know you hate them but it would be weird if mega evos weren't in the game

• Options

There was also no reason to keep natures, abilities, or held items, yet here we are

I know you hate them but it would be weird if mega evos weren't in the game

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a bit weird or that they shouldn't be in, I just don't see any reason why they would have to or think it's entirely crazy that they wouldn't be. It totally feels like something they could make a generational gimmick.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Alola forms are neat.
    Are they going to take up a different space in the pokedex?
    My gut reaction was no, but on second thought, a normal Ninetales pokedex entry probably wouldn't fit an Ice type, would it?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    hey people who know pokemans more than me

why is there still only one save file

is there literally any reason other than "buy the other version, nerd"?

• Options
    edited August 2016

Because the game is supposed to be a personal thing. It's your copy with your Pokemon. If a family shared a single cartridge they couldn't trade with each other and battle each other. The design philosophy is entirely based around everyone having their own and playing together.

And I think the Bank is the closest thing to a concession we'll get from them toward people wanting to replay the same game.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Oh yeah as a real answer to @Mr. G's complaint about Dragons, Dragons have existed in many cultures in many different forms, many of which do not share a lot of common characteristics. Dragons don't represent a real physical thing so much as they do the idea of something great and magical. A dragon can come in many forms, limited only by your imagination. It's not at all like calling a dog a horse because dogs and horses aren't mythical concepts.

Ok but lets break it down for a second.

Dragons have at least 4 limbs + wings.
    If you have 2 legs and 2wings which have arms attached? Sucks to be you, you're a wyvern.
    Got no wings period? Welcome to the drake family.

(Note: only applies in western context and also im not being serious.)

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Except for Feebas' evolution

That said mega evolutions will probably be in in some form, I can't think of anything tied directly to combat that they've taken out

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

pretty much

• Options

Ok but lets break it down for a second.

Dragons have at least 4 limbs + wings.
    If you have 2 legs and 2wings which have arms attached? Sucks to be you, you're a wyvern.
    Got no wings period? Welcome to the drake family.

(Note: only applies in western context and also im not being serious.)

Yeah, I'm normally all for discussing the taxonomy of mythological creatures but "dragon" has had so many different interpretations that I don't think you could build an inclusive common definition. As far as I'm concerned, anything that could destroy me with minimal effort is free to call itself a dragon if it wants and I'm not going to argue.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Because the game is supposed to be a personal thing. It's your copy with your Pokemon. If a family shared a single cartridge they couldn't trade with each other and battle each other. The design philosophy is entirely based around everyone having their own and playing together.

And I think the Bank is the closest thing to a concession we'll get from them toward people wanting to replay the same game.

well

me and mrs. chilla can't do that now because we're not buying a second 3ds and copy of the game

we could at least chat about it with two saves

That seems like a bad reason

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    While Ninetales would fit in Alola just fine in its normal form ice Ninetales looks pretty so I'm fine with it

but does ice Vulpix still evolve with a fire stone?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Ice Ninetales better have an ability that turns every pokemon in your party into Ice Ninetales

• Options
    Also thinking about save files now, I wonder how much space multiple "save profiles" would take. Because that's what it would be, if anything, mulitple concurrent games. They definitely won't give you "save slots" because they need to be able to save-lock you for trades and whatnot. I'd imagine storing all the unique information needed for multiple games worth of data would be a significant amount of space.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.