As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Heavensward] /dote on people with this year's Valentione Event!

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I hate shitty tanks who blame others for their shittiness.

Scenario: I'm playing WHM, which is my 2nd job (level 47 before the run). I get Brayflox normal from the leveling roulette. No problem, I've run it dozens of times. Tank is a PLD. Cool. Even without Shield Oath, it shouldn't be a problem, especially since there's no newbie icon next to his name. Wrong.

The guy doesn't know how to handle AOE aggro at all. Shield Lob, maybe one Flash, but then just single target attacks. He's losing aggro to the rest of us constantly, especially the BLM. I try to help him out - "Hey, Shield Lob then Flash x2 at the start" - but he just ignores me. The drake fight almost ends with a wipe because he doesn't know I should sleep the first one when the add arrives, and things get dicey. Then, in the next room, we wipe because he over pulls and gets half the pre-frog boss mobs on him. At the end boss, he nearly cuts off the room due to not positioning the dragon well, lets it sit in a puddle for a while to regain HP, and gleefully stands in a couple of the column AOEs.

And when it's all over he has the audacity to suggest that healing might not be for me.

I honestly can't tell if he was simply trolling or just the FF XIV embodiment of Dunning-Kruger, but that pissed me off. I've had plenty of shitty runs as a tank. You don't get to 60 without utterly embarrassing yourself. I've caused plenty of terrible wipes before, hung casters out to dry, cut off rooms due to poor boss positioning, etc. If there's a way to fuck up as a tank, I've likely done it, and with flair. But, I never blame others for my suck. I always acknowledge and apologize for it in chat. Always.

I know it shouldn't bother me, it's just a game, etc., but just take responsibility and be honest. You had a spotty run and need to clean things up. It's okay to say "My bad." If I fucked up the heals/cleanses I'd be the first to admit it. Because I've done that, too. Many times. The inability of others to admit mistakes is a HUGE issue for me, even with strangers. I just can't understand that mentality.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I hate shitty tanks who blame others for their shittiness.

Scenario: I'm playing WHM, which is my 2nd job (level 47 before the run). I get Brayflox normal from the leveling roulette. No problem, I've run it dozens of times. Tank is a PLD. Cool. Even without Shield Oath, it shouldn't be a problem, especially since there's no newbie icon next to his name. Wrong.

The guy doesn't know how to handle AOE aggro at all. Shield Lob, maybe one Flash, but then just single target attacks. He's losing aggro to the rest of us constantly, especially the BLM. I try to help him out - "Hey, Shield Lob then Flash x2 at the start" - but he just ignores me. The drake fight almost ends with a wipe because he doesn't know I should sleep the first one when the add arrives, and things get dicey. Then, in the next room, we wipe because he over pulls and gets half the pre-frog boss mobs on him. At the end boss, he nearly cuts off the room due to not positioning the dragon well, lets it sit in a puddle for a while to regain HP, and gleefully stands in a couple of the column AOEs.

And when it's all over he has the audacity to suggest that healing might not be for me.

I honestly can't tell if he was simply trolling or just the FF XIV embodiment of Dunning-Kruger, but that pissed me off. I've had plenty of shitty runs as a tank. You don't get to 60 without utterly embarrassing yourself. I've caused plenty of terrible wipes before, hung casters out to dry, cut off rooms due to poor boss positioning, etc. If there's a way to fuck up as a tank, I've likely done it, and with flair. But, I never blame others for my suck. I always acknowledge and apologize for it in chat. Always.

I know it shouldn't bother me, it's just a game, etc., but just take responsibility and be honest. You had a spotty run and need to clean things up. It's okay to say "My bad." If I fucked up the heals/cleanses I'd be the first to admit it. Because I've done that, too. Many times. The inability of others to admit mistakes is a HUGE issue for me, even with strangers. I just can't understand that mentality.

Sometimes you just got to let the bad players die to let them know who is the boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This is the entire point of tank limbo. Show them how low you can let them go.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Hivemind healer's motto:

There’s a time to take damage,
    There’s a time to deal it,
    There’s a time to ignore all else
    and do your best to heal it
    Then there’s a time to laugh while they all burn

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Fuck shitty tanks.

No, let me rephrase that.

Fuck shitty tanks.

As a tank main, shitty tanks hurt me deeply. I'm really beginning to enjoy WAR (learning how to stance dance and hit things hard has been incredibly fun), and I do love being a DRK. So when people are bad tanks and don't acknowledge that they are, it hurts me in a personal way.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man, I really hate when I DRG to a shitty tank and they go stop LOLDRGing please. Why don't you learn to hold hate please.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I wish there was a way to practise tanking that didnt involve other players. I think i have ruined many evenings of other people by not being the best tank i could be if i could practise somewhere first. :bigfrown:

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to practise tanking that didnt involve other players. I think i have ruined many evenings of other people by not being the best tank i could be if i could practise somewhere first. :bigfrown:

I feel the best way to learn to tank is to recruit a healer and two high DPS friends who will not hold back, will split DPS, will "forget to heal," and will mock you relentlessly on voice chat for any deaths. I'm mean sure my friends are dicks, but now there's pretty much nothing that can happen in a pug that I haven't dealt with. :lol:

But seriously, I am hoping they expand on the novice lessons a bit more. The tank and healer training don't touch on cooldowns at all, the DPS training doesn't touch on AoE vs single target. They could keep the basics, then start layering in new skill training at higher levels.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    I mean, isn't that basically the idea behind guildhests? To introduce concepts for the group to manage in a small, manageable chunk. Might as well make guildhests solo content or better teaching mechanisms than work on whole new lessons that honestly probably wouldn't work out due to the whole problem the people who most need it not thinking they need tutorials.

Ishtaar wrote: »

I feel the best way to learn to tank is to recruit a healer and two high DPS friends who will not hold back, will split DPS, will "forget to heal," and will mock you relentlessly on voice chat for any deaths. I'm mean sure my friends are dicks, but now there's pretty much nothing that can happen in a pug that I haven't dealt with. :lol:

But seriously, I am hoping they expand on the novice lessons a bit more. The tank and healer training don't touch on cooldowns at all, the DPS training doesn't touch on AoE vs single target. They could keep the basics, then start layering in new skill training at higher levels.

You do realize that you are playing FFXIV, not Paranoia?

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I wish there was an option to replay quests.

You can rematch cutscenes and replay dungeons/bosses all you want, but it's just not the same as going through the entirety of the quest, reaching that buildup that leads to those key moments. Not to mention the fact that the NPCs always have lots of neat contextual lines of dialog that can be easily missed out on the first time around.

Sucks that you only get one chance per created character to experience them.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wish there was an option to replay quests.

You can rematch cutscenes and replay dungeons/bosses all you want, but it's just not the same as going through the entirety of the quest, reaching that buildup that leads to those key moments. Not to mention the fact that the NPCs always have lots of neat contextual lines of dialog that can be easily missed out on the first time around.

Sucks that you only get one chance per created character to experience them.

I'd seriously pay money to do stuff like the grand melee or the solo fight with Hydrus in the ACRF again.

Heck considering the XP you get it could be a nice middle ground between people wanting to avoid a level up potion/micro transaction and people who do want it.

I'd pay a fiver to reset my MSQ only for my lancer or whatever class I felt like levelling while also continuing my MSQ on my AST.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I know there are complaints against it, but I really like Palace of the Dead as is. Could it be better, absolutely.

But for me, it's let me get three jobs unlocked at 30, get one of them to 41, earn a i235 weapon on WAR, and get a taste of SCH healing role 1-60 in a lower-difficulty than a normal 5-man. Plus the mode is pretty great to run while watching a tv show on the 2nd monitor.

Also, interested to see where the story/mechanics of the dungeon go from here and what goodies are attached to it going forward.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    I know there are complaints against it, but I really like Palice of the Dead as is. Could it be better, absolutely.

But for me, it's let me get three jobs unlocked at 30, get one of them to 41, earn a i235 weapon on WAR, and get a taste of SCH healing role 1-60 in a lower-difficulty than a normal 5-man. Plus the mode is pretty great to run while watching a tv show on the 2nd monitor.

Also, interested to see where the story/mechanics of the dungeon go from here and what goodies are attached to it going forward.

They've already said that the 4.0 Deep Dungeon is in development.

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind seeing them do another armor / acc option for the deep dungeon, to give another way of accessing some higher end gear for that time. Or if they could do a deep dungeon that allowed for crafters to do things to get access to another MH/OH.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing them do another armor / acc option for the deep dungeon, to give another way of accessing some higher end gear for that time. Or if they could do a deep dungeon that allowed for crafters to do things to get access to another MH/OH.

They've said that the plan is for PotD to reach 200 floors.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »

They've said that the plan is for PotD to reach 200 floors.

Which doesn't mean that they are going to put in the things Jakarrd is asking for.

I personally think that the only thing they will put in is another weapon for DoW/DoM as a catch-up mechanic for those who haven't completed future relic steps or completed savage mode fights just like the current reward.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Unfortunately none of my friends will touch a MMO FF game with a 10ft pole. I tried making friends in-game but I play on super random hours for short periods of time, so it doesnt really work out.

The Novice thing is pretty great. It has plenty of room to add stuff to it. Some other characters would also help that would be stereotypical other players would help.. Would help to make people consider the social part of playing in a group.

Fuck shitty tanks.

No, let me rephrase that.

Fuck shitty tanks.

As a tank main, shitty tanks hurt me deeply. I'm really beginning to enjoy WAR (learning how to stance dance and hit things hard has been incredibly fun), and I do love being a DRK. So when people are bad tanks and don't acknowledge that they are, it hurts me in a personal way.

Same here.

I play every weekend with my IRL friend. He has a really horrendous work schedule, so he just plays 1-3 hours a week. So, I partner up with him as healer and I basically play The Tank Whisperer on headset, telling him who to target first, when he's losing aggro, when to Flash/Provoke, etc. simply because he doesn't have the time to practice. I'm essentially playing two jobs at once, and only once have we completely fucked up (my fault, because I hadn't played WHM for a while). All other dungeons have gone smoothly because I take pride in being a competent tank, and I'll be damned if he's going to suck on my watch.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I hit 50 for the first time last night. Yokai grinding has given me a big boost, so I'm still not even done with the 2.0 story (almost to Cape Westwind trial I think), and then from what I understand I'll have to go through all the patch questlines before I can move on to Heavensward and unlock the three new jobs.

Are there any rules about purchasing a room in the Ghost House if you meet the in-game requirements?

Also, about how much of Ghosts is composed of people from here versus people that just joined up through the game? I've been able to figure out some people from here (mainly through who has it listed in their signature).

I haven't gotten to do too much with the guild yet (was with them fighting Odin last night, and got randomly matched up with C'C' in a dungeon by the Duty Finder the other day, but that's about it), but have been having fun leveling up and exploring the world.

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I hit 50 for the first time last night. Yokai grinding has given me a big boost, so I'm still not even done with the 2.0 story (almost to Cape Westwind trial I think), and then from what I understand I'll have to go through all the patch questlines before I can move on to Heavensward and unlock the three new jobs.

Are there any rules about purchasing a room in the Ghost House if you meet the in-game requirements?

Also, about how much of Ghosts is composed of people from here versus people that just joined up through the game? I've been able to figure out some people from here (mainly through who has it listed in their signature).

I haven't gotten to do too much with the guild yet (was with them fighting Odin last night, and got randomly matched up with C'C' in a dungeon by the Duty Finder the other day, but that's about it), but have been having fun leveling up and exploring the world.

First bold: No rules. If there's any open rooms and you have the money, grab a room. Then start decorating as much as you want! :biggrin:

Second bold: I dunno if I'd say half our overall members came from here. We've had a lot of members that have come in thru here in the past years but we've also had either their friends come in or transfer server in, people who see GHOST constantly and/or dungeoned with them and really liked it, and just peeps that have asked about us and signed up looking for their first or second FC.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    Lars wrote: »

Nope, as long as you can scrape up the 300k gil, you can have a room.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This is old, but I only discovered it last night and wanted to share it with others. I found it surprisingly well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4akl6AUj_JM

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I just hit ilvl 181 and unlocked the level 60 roulette (yay!). Is just doing the Level 60 Roulette, Antitower, and Pharos Sirius (hard) the best ways to gear up to ilvl 200?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    So, I just hit ilvl 181 and unlocked the level 60 roulette (yay!). Is just doing the Level 60 Roulette, Antitower, and Pharos Sirius (hard) the best ways to gear up to ilvl 200?

Pretty much, yes. And PotD for that schweet ilvl 235 weapon.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

Pretty much, yes. And PotD for that schweet ilvl 235 weapon.

PotD is also the fastest source of tomes too, I think. Of course, how fun it actually is to run varies from person to person.

Aside: Thaumaturge at 30 now. Just have to do class quests to unlock Black Mage. And then only Ninja and Dragoon to go.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Okay, as my PCs dead and the first page of Google rarely turns up a modern guide does anyone have any class resources/guides they find particularly helpful? PLD/WAR are of interest but really anything for me to read up on works.

It's pretty funny going from a level 49/i43 WHM to a level 50/i115 WHM in about a second. All of a sudden I look good (Ironworks gear is very pretty) and I'm healing and damaging for pretty solid numbers.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Not to mention the fact that the gear is good until the late 50s.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah my augmented ironworks NIN weapon carried me to 60. Admittedly a good portion of that was in PotD...

Delzhand wrote: »
    Yeah my augmented ironworks NIN weapon carried me to 60. Admittedly a good portion of that was in PotD...

Augmented Ironworks will get you to the Vault, then it begins to fall behind the curve.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Augmented Ironworks lasts until Aery. Orthodox gear is i135 and that extra 5 ilvls will make a difference.
    By the time Vault rolls around, you need to be swapping out gear with a higher ilvl or weapon damage. Even if it's generic white stuff off vendors or crafted because you really want the extra def/mdef to make solo content less dangerous. Not to mention the stat increase.

Some Dreadwyrm (i135) weapons will surpass Aery (i136) weapons by strength of the secondary stats

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Yeah I never actually did Vault/Gubal. Leveling Roulette and PotD catapulted me from 55-60 and Aery was the highest dungeon I did, and I had PotD daggers waiting for me on the other side of 60.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So what does one do if they level a character entirely to 60 in POTD? Is there a way to buy a fresh 60 gear set that isn't bank breaking?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So what does one do if they level a character entirely to 60 in POTD? Is there a way to buy a fresh 60 gear set that isn't bank breaking?

If you have access to Azys Lla, buy i150 from Repository Node. Or have someone else buy or craft it.

Do HW hunts for Centurio Seals and buy i170 stuff. PVP for i180 stuff. Esoterics for i200 stuff. This is what I'm doing, I don't claim it to be the optimal path.

e: For PVP, the daily Roulette + 2 more matches got me enough Wolfs Marks to get a i180 accessory and I was TERRIBAD at PVP. Also got enough esoterics to help fund an i200 piece.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Around 55 I started doing daily HW hunts, that'll get you more than enough centurio seals to hit 60 with a fully upgraded set of i180 gear.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    As I've said several times before. The most optimal time wise is farm esos in Aetherchemical Research (~1100 esos) and get the full i220 set made. Heck, work a deal with me and I'll craft all of it with you providing me with around 1.5k worth in eso mats and that's it. No other materials or gil. 1.5k is 10 runs which may or may not totally bore you to death, which then leads to the matter of a weapon. To get into Aetherchemical you can use a i150 set which is very cheap/easy to have crafted.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    PotD also gives lore, eso, and poetic tomes at 60. So running that and buying eso gear is also an option.

Probably not as fast as running Aethro, of course.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.