As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USA Presidential Election 2016: A Day at the Racist

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    politico has a story about Obama making the drone "playbook" public

There's one thing about Obama that I really utterly hate. Everything suddenly became a sports analogy when he became president. We don't have business plans or SOPs, we have "playbooks", literally everything at work is part of the "playbook", managers are always "coaches", projects are "game plans", streamlined processes are "race tracks"

the fourth quarter is the third period

REALLY?

e: excuse me I meant the more semi official term of "racing tracks" given the obvious problem with the term race tracks

are you seriously attributing this to Obama?

cause that might be the stupidest complaint i've ever heard

It's in the top ten dumbest plays of the week

What an unforced error

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's better than early on in his first term when the conservatives were really playing on the dirty communist angle and all of Obama's appointee's were called 'czar'

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

There's one thing about Obama that I really utterly hate. Everything suddenly became a sports analogy when he became president. We don't have business plans or SOPs, we have "playbooks", literally everything at work is part of the "playbook", managers are always "coaches", projects are "game plans", streamlined processes are "race tracks"

REALLY?

e: excuse me I meant the more semi official term of "racing tracks" given the obvious problem with the term race tracks

It's in the top ten dumbest plays of the week

What an unforced error

Truly a buttfumble

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    That would be the media's fault, not Obama's, in case that isn't clear.

Fencingsax on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Marco Rubio: women with Zika should not be allowed abortions
    Florida senator Marco Rubio has said women infected with the Zika virus should not be allowed to have abortions, even if their babies have microcephaly, the severe developmental disorder than can result from infection with the disease.

“If I’m going to err, I’m going to err on the side of life,” the Republican told Politico. Rubio, who has championed Zika funding bills in the Senate, also blamed Democrats for the failure to pass such federal aid.

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) figures, Florida is the state second-worst affected by Zika, after New York, but is the only state to have infections caused by local mosquitoes. Most Zika cases in the US have been found in people who travelled to affected countries and territories.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Fuck you fuck you fuck you. @Soon To Be Former Senator Marco Rubio

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ugh oh my god, I don't know where else to unpack this, but I guess my Ex and her friend are like anti feminists? They are talking about how women don't actually get harassed for being women but for being terrible, and its like arguing with a brick wall that thinks plaster is way better.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/28/7084995/a-woman-walked-around-new-york-city-for-10-hours-and-filmed-every

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular

REALLY?

You think that's the stupidest thing I've said? I'm pretty stupid, don't underestimate me.

Also if I look stupid but it sets up four jokes then hey at least everyone had a good time. I'm doing this for democracy. Also justice. Justocracy if you will.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    you're doing god's work, zoel

i'd have you batting cleanup any day.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

It's hard to express my visceral reaction to the pro-life opinions of Rubio and his ilk because they believe childbirth is some kind of mysterious miracle, unknowable and covered in angels. I would sincerely like to take these deluded fools to the ranch I worked as a teenager and show them the spot where I had to hold a cow down during the breech birth of her first calf; if they want miracles, I'll show them some goddamned miracles, starting with how many of our ribs were broken trying to keep her from hurting herself or the calf.

Sure, birth is a fucking miracle from God; so is fucking popcorn if you can't figure it out.

(sorry-not-sorry, I just hate that fundie garbage about life being sacred when they're deliberately encouraging women to be barefoot and pregnant all the time and HARGLE-FUCKING-BARGLE)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    It's better than early on in his first term when the conservatives were really playing on the dirty communist angle and all of Obama's appointee's were called 'czar'

to be fair, Presidents have had czars since FDR

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It's hard to express my visceral reaction to the pro-life opinions of Rubio and his ilk because they believe childbirth is some kind of mysterious miracle, unknowable and covered in angels. I would sincerely like to take these deluded fools to the ranch I worked as a teenager and show them the spot where I had to hold a cow down during the breech birth of her first calf; if they want miracles, I'll show them some goddamned miracles, starting with how many of our ribs were broken trying to keep her from hurting herself or the calf.

Sure, birth is a fucking miracle from God; so is fucking popcorn if you can't figure it out.

(sorry-not-sorry, I just hate that fundie garbage about life being sacred when they're deliberately encouraging women to be barefoot and pregnant all the time and HARGLE-FUCKING-BARGLE)

I'm pretty firmly pro-choice because I'll never be pregnant and will never know what the decision entails, so I'm not comfortable making that call for anyone else, you know?

That said, it's the one political issue where I will never, ever try to talk anybody out of their views, or criticize them for having them. I will criticize methods, but the issue itself is, like, philosophical. If you genuinely believe that a thing is a life and has a soul, and should be protected, there's no countering that. Not without disproving the existence of the soul (proving a negative is always fun), or declaring when the soul enters a body (i.e., making shit up) - not without answering definitively the exact existential queries that have vexed humanity for as long as we've had languages and faiths.

I think a lot of pro-lifers are hypocritical scumbags (supporting the death penalty, for instance), but the core tenet belief of "every life should be protected, even the nascent ones" is a hard one for me to be too critical of, even though it's not a belief I hold.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    If pro-lifers consistently supported social programs aimed at youth and foster care, at least they'd be consistent in their protection of life.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

to be fair, Presidents have had czars since FDR

Oh yeah, it's a totally normal thing that had entirely manufactured scrutiny due to Obama being a president they didn't like.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    If pro-lifers consistently supported social programs aimed at youth and foster care, at least they'd be consistent in their protection of life.

Yeah, that many pro-lifers are actually just pro-fetus, and that the belief is typically just a smokescreen for punishing women for having sex - it all muddies the waters considerably

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I'm pretty firmly pro-choice because I'll never be pregnant and will never know what the decision entails, so I'm not comfortable making that call for anyone else, you know?

That said, it's the one political issue where I will never, ever try to talk anybody out of their views, or criticize them for having them. I will criticize methods, but the issue itself is, like, philosophical. If you genuinely believe that a thing is a life and has a soul, and should be protected, there's no countering that. Not without disproving the existence of the soul (proving a negative is always fun), or declaring when the soul enters a body (i.e., making shit up) - not without answering definitively the exact existential queries that have vexed humanity for as long as we've had languages and faiths.

I think a lot of pro-lifers are hypocritical scumbags (supporting the death penalty, for instance), but the core tenet belief of "every life should be protected, even the nascent ones" is a hard one for me to be too critical of, even though it's not a belief I hold.

I agree with the notion that life is sacred because I think there's a lot of amazing people in the world who come from foster families, but I'm biased because two of my close friends were adopted as newborns. Even within that particularly narrow viewpoint, I totally agree that I'm not free to make that choice for any woman whether I'm for or against whatever choice she makes.

I also agree that there's a ton of pro-lifers who have a really narrow view of what constitutes 'traditional values' when it comes to pregnancy, childbirth and starting a family; decisions have to be made at every step of the process and, if there's anything my life has taught me, it's that the universe gives no shits about how you planned your life out, this is your reality now, no takebacks, deal with it. So I guess I'm trying to say that any methodology that restricts options, choice and free will is a methodology that promotes needless hardship; life is already tough enough, no need to pile it on.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    When I think of how some of the strongest proponents of safe abortion access are catholic nuns, the religious arguments against abortion kinda seem a bit thin to me.

There's also the whole socio-economic angle of I as well, where poorer women are much more likely to seek abortion services and are much more likely to be demonized for doing so.

Needless to say, it's a fuckin complicated issue that, as a man, I don't really feel like I should have any fucking say in at all.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it's pro-life, not pro-good life

if the argument is that abortion is murder and murder is wrong, then wanting abortion to be illegal but not supporting social programs isn't inconsistent

it's callous, insensitive, and short-sighted, but it's not inconsistent

repoublicans have a lot of awful agendas but the legalization of child murder isn't one of them

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh oh my god, I don't know where else to unpack this, but I guess my Ex and her friend are like anti feminists? They are talking about how women don't actually get harassed for being women but for being terrible, and its like arguing with a brick wall that thinks plaster is way better.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/28/7084995/a-woman-walked-around-new-york-city-for-10-hours-and-filmed-every

Nope according to them it doesn't happen. Also appearntly Zoe Quinn deserved what happened as did Leslie Jones and Twitter is bad for banning the guy who started that.

My brain physically hurts.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    my feeling is that abortion as an issue exists at the intersection of a massive number of cultural, philosophical, social, spiritual, and practical questions and issues, such that I am deeply uncomfortable with anyone wanting to make a definitive declaration on its moral status. It is too complex and multifaceted an issue, and people should have the right to self-determinate and come to their own conclusions regarding it

My thing with abortion is that no one cares what I think. I'm a guy and therefore the issue is not mine to comment on. I will never have to carry a fetus so I don't know what that feels like nor what abortion would be like or how you would feel mentally or emotionally before or after.

My thing with abortion is that no one cares what I think. I'm a guy and therefore the issue is not mine to comment on. I will never have to carry a fetus so I don't know what that feels like nor what abortion would be like or how you would feel mentally or emotionally before or after.

if the argument is that it's murder then that logic doesn't hold though

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    the origins of the abortion issue are pretty gross so

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    BTW Sanders is Soldier 76. I don't even have to draw the "principled outsider fighting corruption" comparisons. Have you seen what those two look like?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Except Bernie is clearly Bastion. I mean the bird was a dead giveaway

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Clinton - Drew
    Trump - Dan
    Johnson - Brad
    Stein - Jason
    Sanders - Alex
    O'Malley - Vinny
    Bush - Rorie
    Cruz - Jeff

PNk1Ml4.png
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

They don't give 2 shits about "the sanctity of life" and they never did (as is easily demonstrated by their outright rejection of policies that do actually demonstrably reduce abortion, plus their enthusiasm for letting everyone who isn't a fetus and is also not them die); it's about controlling female sexuality first, last and always. And for the Dominionists, it's about bringing about a "biblical" state of affairs where women are chattel.

V1m on
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

REALLY?

You think that's the stupidest thing I've said? I'm pretty stupid, don't underestimate me.

Also if I look stupid but it sets up four jokes then hey at least everyone had a good time. I'm doing this for democracy. Also justice. Justocracy if you will.

You took one for the team

Mvp of the thread for sure

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    FWIW, I have never seen an discussion about abortion convincing anybody of anything.

On Trump, because might as well:

And he issued an aclaratory on the baby thing:
    USA Today writer either failed to do thorough research or has completely ignored facts that would have exposed her false claims. The article, “For the Record’s week in review: Trump’s rock bottom,” attempts to mischaracterize Donald Trump by listing a certain falsehood that has already been discredited. The nonsensical line in the article accuses Mr. Trump of kicking out a baby at a rally. Even Katy Tur of NBC, who was at the event, gave an on-air recount of the exchange, debunking any claims of Mr. Trump kicking anybody out of the rally.

The mother of the baby also made a statement, saying Mr. Trump did not kick her and her baby out of the rally:

“The media has severely blown this out of proportion and made it out to be something that it wasn’t and is clearly using this as political gain for the Democratic Party. I hope this message sheds light to what really happened.”

BizPac Review was even able to see right through the obvious falsehood, unlike a media conglomerate like USA Today, and wrote a thorough and succinct review of what really happened at the rally.

Instead of doing a simple Google search that would have provided the story with correct information, USA Today is playing fast and loose with the facts in this article.
    This is the classic Trump strategy: Poison the well to depress turnout. Attacks that look absurd like the baby thing and the Manchurian Candidate accusations play to Trump's strength: Lowering the discussion to his level. Also, Brexit has shown how much people are willing to do just to "stick it" to the press and the pundits.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Clinton - Drew
    Trump - Dan
    Johnson - Brad
    Stein - Jason
    Sanders - Alex
    O'Malley - Vinny
    Bush - Rorie
    Cruz - Jeff

this does a disservice to all of those quality and great people

except dan of course, that's accurate as fck

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

What gets me most angry isn't his stance, or the fact he hypocritically blamed democrats for a lack of Zika funding... it's that he's from Florida. The most basic fucking thing a politician should is look out for their fucking constituents.

Nope according to them it doesn't happen. Also appearntly Zoe Quinn deserved what happened as did Leslie Jones and Twitter is bad for banning the guy who started that.

My brain physically hurts.

Internalized "ugh all these OTHER GIRLS" type sexism is the most frustrating thing in the fucking world to me.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bush- ross
    clinton- phoebe
    biden - joey
    trump - chandler
    obama - ross
    monica - stein
    sanders - rachel
    ross - riker
    worf - obama
    finn - geordi
    rei - rachel
    bb8 - trump
    ross - kyle
    han solo - luke
    obama - biden
    jon snow - jon snow
    bender - sanders
    warren - ross

edited August 2016
    -Tal wrote: »
    Clinton - Drew
    Trump - Dan
    Johnson - Brad
    Stein - Jason
    Sanders - Alex
    O'Malley - Vinny
    Bush - Rorie
    Cruz - Jeff

this does a disservice to all of those quality and great people

except dan of course, that's accurate as fck

Dan/Jeff 2016. America needs a man who is willing to take dumb risks and someone to replace him who has a "ehhhh fuck it" attitude

Bucketman on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the origins of the abortion issue are pretty gross so

relevant:
    https://youtu.be/pPsderlzd6c

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I'm starting to really like this guy

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    FWIW, I have never seen an discussion about abortion convincing anybody of anything.

I convinced my wife to become pro-choice when we first were dating. She grew up in central PA in a very conservative family, and had never really met many liberal people or pro-choice people.

I managed to convince her by proving (via myself and my family) that pro-choice was not pro-baby murder, but that it was not her right to make a choice for what someone else does with her body, and that there were more and better ways to stop abortion, through birth control and education and easier access to adoption.

Today she's as strong a feminist and pro-choice person as I've ever met.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Trump calls Philippines a terrorist nation

funny, i figured trump would find duterte to be a great role model

uc3ufTB.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This was posted already but I feel it's worth posting again

vox.com/2016/8/4/12369912/hillary-clinton-pro-life
    You should vote for Hillary Clinton.

And I’d like to suggest that voting for a pro-choice candidate in this election, or any election, need not overburden your conscience.

Here’s why.

In the eight years since we’ve had a pro-choice president, the abortion rate in the US has dropped to its lowest since 1973. I believe the best way to keep this trend going is not to simply make it harder for women to terminate unwanted pregnancies but to create a culture with fewer unwanted pregnancies to begin with.

Data suggests progressive social policies that make health care and child care more affordable, make contraception more accessible, alleviate poverty, and support a living wage do the most to create such a culture, while countries where abortion is simply illegal see no change in the abortion rate.

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I'm a little pissed with Marco. To put it mildly.

This is coming from someone with a Marco Rubio T-shirt. There are probably ways to get that other then by donating more money then I should sanely give, and I've probably used them to acquire it since I can't say who I've given money to, or if I even have. I was pretty committed to him.

But now it's over.

You know what his position was during the press campaign? It was "life is a definitional issue."

That meant something VERY fucking different when he was running for president. I still don't regret supporting him over cruz and trump, because at least he isn't an existential threat to life on earth, however,

Fuck Marco Rubio. Fuck his broken tooth. Fuck how thrifty he is. Fuck his deliberations on running for Senate. Fuck his tweet storms. Fuck his failure to stop a literal incarnation of Hitler from coming one vote away from the presidency. Fuck his attempt to make his campaign look like a Barack Obama cover band.

I'm sorry Marco, but I'm breaking up with you. And yes, it is you, not me.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
This discussion has been closed.