Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: A Day at the Racist

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think Anthony Bourdain has said as much. Basically that if we were to ever actually follow through on mass deportation, the food service industry would be completely and utterly destroyed. So much of the back of the house crew is immigrant labor, not to mention how much food costs would rise.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I think Anthony Bourdain has said as much. Basically that if we were to ever actually follow through on mass deportation, the food service industry would be completely and utterly destroyed. So much of the back of the house crew is immigrant labor, not to mention how much food costs would rise.

yeah, he says the same thing about paying them a living wage

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Mohandas K. Ghandi was a clit-commander.

I had an affair with Mohandas

he would cover his bald head in oil and rub it all over my body

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

:snap:

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I get the feeling that a big part of the establishment frustration with Trump isn't just that he's up front about shitty ideas that they wish were dog-whistled, but that they suspect he might carry through with some of it. So much of it now is just lip service to Tea Party ideals that the elected officials know would be impossible or disastrous to actually implement. So they talk good game, and then along comes Trump with zero capacity for subtlety, and they're all like "Oh fuck, no dude, no! Raging against the Mexicans is just a way we unite shitty white people behind us! If we actually kicked them out, it would wreck everything!"

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The big struggle at the bar I work for is that the police outright see us hosting hip-hop shows and DJ nights and vocally disdain the fact. Fortunately, they're okay about not *actively* harassing us, but we had to close earlier than most bars our first year until we could prove that having rap music wouldn't be a bad thing - the hip-hop shows, it turns out, are even better behaved than a lot of metal show crowds (we do everything from bluegrass to punk to rap in the music venue in our basement, which I also bounce for on show nights) - so they let us close at 2 am, after a year of probation that no other music venue in town ever had to go through

The DJ nights do bring a rougher crowd, but it was specifically the hip-hop shows which scared the cops

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Punk kids party hard but the shows usually don't lead to anything more severe than public urination in an alley and maybe a few broken bottles. At least in my experience.

Metal shows can go one of two ways: smooth and uneventful or the exact polar opposite.

• Options
    Punk kids party hard but the shows usually don't lead to anything more severe than public urination in an alley and maybe a few broken bottles. At least in my experience.

Metal shows can go one of two ways: smooth and uneventful or the exact polar opposite.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The really rough punk/metal showcrowds are the Richmond-centered old school hardcore fans. Richmond hardcore sucks less than most of the hardcore genre these days, some of it even bordering on good, but the moshers are nearly muay thai levels of pugilistic in their dancing style. Especially the straightedge types. Bouncing those shows is a fucking trip because you can never quite tell dancing from a fight until shit has properly hit the fan

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Most other rock/metal/hip-hop/etc shows, the real thing that gets 95% of bounces is good old fashioned drunkness, or being a dick to the staff, plain and simple.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've seen punks destroy venues before

Grabbing onto pipes in basement venues while crowd surfing

Whoops, turns out those exposed pipes in your basement are a) important and :cool: not designed to support your thirty pound studded leather jacket, let alone your personal weight

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, every punk pit I've been in has offered a helping hand to those who fall, whereas I've been at some hipster-ass indie shows that kick people in the head

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah I've heard of some more straightedge crowds protesting the scene's involvement in shows being held at bars by being shitty and destructive to the bar and venue itself

There's a reason that most straightedge types have exileed themselves to house shows - it's a rare venue that has the balls to book 'em

Edit: haha, looks like I ended up rambling about work after all. Harrisonburg is a hell of a town and I do what I can to make it a better place for any and all crowds so long as they come in good faith

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Straight edge kids are just weird all around

I ain't got a problem with not drinking or anything, and I've known some individual straight edge folks that are alright

But the developed straight edge scene weirds me out

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ...There's a straight edge scene?

Isn't it the absence of a scene, so to speak?

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Music scene stuff and most of the people I've met involved in them make me pretty uncomfortable for some reason. Probably because I have met a disproportionate number of absolute trash people involved with that stuff when I've been to shows and stuff.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

It's like hardcore but more self righteous, essentially

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

mosh_girl_boy.jpg

There's definitely a scene.

• Options
    Metal crowds (good ones anyway) have so many pit etiquette things. Picking people up, keeping your elbows tucked, etc. I remember I got knocked fuckin stuuuupid at Ozzfest one year and this MASSIVE Mexican dude with that weird, like, shaved head but also a super long braided ponytail combo literally picked my three hundred pound ass up like an infant and set me on my feet while his bros made a little wall around us. He made sure I was okay and then threw up the horns and went back to raging.

I am too broke down and old for the pit any more though. I will gladly stand by and watch.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there's usually some form of a straight-edge scene as a subscene within any scene, though not all will call themselves straightedge

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I like metal music a whole lot but pits are super not my thing. Which makes shows pretty uncomfortable in small venues that are pretty much just the pit.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Clinton opens campaign HQ in Utah

Man, this election is going to be the Democrats chasing the GOP into the corner and throwing body blows until the referee has to stop it isn't it?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Clinton opens campaign HQ in Utah

Man, this election is going to be the Democrats chasing the GOP into the corner and throwing body blows until the referee has to stop it isn't it?

Right now it isnt and i worry about the clinton campaign stretching itself thin

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I like to sit down with a drink and watch the band play.

Sitcore #chillstorm #iamawaited

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

:snap:

that wasn't a joke! he actually says that!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    To be clear, is he saying it in defense of not paying them a living wage or "yeah if we ever got our shit together and actually paid people appropriately we would be fucked"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I like to sit down with a drink and watch the band play.

Sitcore #chillstorm #iamawaited

every shitty metal show i've been to made me envy the bar sitters

so glad i am one now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    To be clear, is he saying it in defense of not paying them a living wage or "yeah if we ever got our shit together and actually paid people appropriately we would be fucked"

Yes.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Guys my girlfriend found a gem tonight. Scrolling through Facebook comments on an article she read, because boredom, she found this...this thing.
    cqaud8xr6ina.jpgk51ibay999yw.jpg
    6wl8lbvnbca7.jpg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    its really scary how obsessive people are, and how much they project. You see these cults, and what strikes me is how basically banal and un-charismatic most cult leaders really are. People kill and die for these nobodies with nothing to say, empty platitudes and often obvious disdain for their fellow man in their body language and tone, let alone their behaviour. At least with cults you can chalk it up to attracting broken people who are looking for connection. I just dont know what to make of that Trump letter.

Trump is just an empty idiot void. His words are meaningless where they arent pure nonsense vitriol. And yet someone can write that? I feel like they have more feelings and emotions about Trump than he does about himself. Its just a character in their head.

Human beings are fucking terrifying

The language of ignorant bigotry and how it worms its way out of being too obvious, Obama, by talking about issues around race, is a "divider", Trump, by ignoring and maligning those issues, is a "unifier"

Human beings are so fucking terrifying

Prohass on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    that just makes me sad and depressed.

it's so heartfelt.. and so awful...

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I thought I was in the Steven Universe thread, so I clicked the spoiler for some neat fanart, and then....Psyduck'd

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I truly hope every reply to that is that scene from Billy Madison because it has never been more apt

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I truly hope every reply to that is that scene from Billy Madison because it has never been more apt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OKuLHp4FE ?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    its honestly scary to me. Theyre writing about him like hes this amazing humanitarian who has done so much. When 70% of what he says is him boasting about how he doesnt give a fuck about anyone else, how all that matters is winning, etc

Have these people ever even read about Jesus? What he stood for?

• Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Yes.

yeah I just want to be clear

when Anthony bourdain defends immigrant workers, he isn't doing so because he wants them to be able to immigrate legally

it is objectively good for the restaurant industry that there is a constant influx of people who can easily be exploited

like yeah dude, the reason that Dominican guy works for seven bucks an hour every day for two years isn't because of some inherent Dominican work ethic

it's because missing a day means not making rent and getting pinched by INS

it's super gross

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    its honestly scary to me. Theyre writing about him like hes this amazing humanitarian who has done so much. When 70% of what he says is him boasting about how he doesnt give a fuck about anyone else, how all that matters is winning, etc

Have these people ever even read about Jesus? What he stood for?

Of course they have.

They completely misinterpret it but they've read it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just love how there is nothing of genuine value with Trump.

He is flagrantly ignorant in political matters.

He is appallingly insensitive to the plight of others.

His professional history is loaded with bankruptcy, lawsuits and failed businesses.

He blatently uses dog-whistling in leau of actual policy ideas.

He is an incredibly obvious and easily debunkable liar.

He might the least qualified person (in politics, or otherwise) to be nominated to a major US party in quite possibly ever.

And he's still going to get like 40% of the vote.

Did I say love? I meant hate with the fiery loathing of a thousand suns.

• Options
    I honestly and truly believe Trump made use of a broken Genie. He wished to president, he will get like half the vote, roughly.

This discussion has been closed.