As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

but no seriously jake, this [chat] op is all yours

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of you are using knowledge of "how to build a computer from scratch in 2001" and are reminiscing about zipzoomfly and tigerdirect and then panicking because you forgot arctic silver and need to run to CompUSA or Fry's to finish your build.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    japan wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    A cycle race that is right up chat's alley (boom boom)
    j6crKvy.jpg

and then the final leg of the race is down the poop chute right

You jest, but people that build trails always give them insufferably whimsical names on strava

Anything remotely muddy gets termed "the poop chute"

Equally there are approximately six million "spooky woods" out there

I'm afraid to get on Strava and discover just how terrible I am at running compared to everyone else

Actually the joy of it is that there is pretty much always someone slower than you

If you have any level of fitness at ask you can reach, like, top twenty percent reasonably easily

Then you can convince yourself that the tier above you is occupied by people powergaming it in a manner that is not in the spirit of the thing, and thus claim the moral victory

I am tempted to believe you but I dunno this is NYC where all the hyper competitive Type A people run for fun (I live with one of these people so i kno)

Beasto is on Strava tho and will proudly announce when he does the Triboro bridge over and over faster than other people who have logged. Then he will tell me that elite runner Kaci Lickteig logged some casual 7:30min/mi run up a ridiculous incline for like 40 miles in Nebraska for training and I die

It's not good for my self esteem i tell u whhaat

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Can anyone else confirm that that song is indeed a joke and a meditation on contemporary pop music?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Aioua wrote: »
    the front panel connectors are a weirdly antiquated standard. You'd think by now some MB manufacturer would have some sort of quick-connect plug carrying all those wires, with an adapter to the standard pin header for cases without the plug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Connector

It's beautiful. Asus 5 lyfe.

q-connetorsconnected.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of you are using knowledge of "how to build a computer from scratch in 2001" and are reminiscing about zipzoomfly and tigerdirect and then panicking because you forgot arctic silver and need to run to CompUSA or Fry's to finish your build.

last time I did an upgrade I did not realize my old RAM wouldn't work, so I did have to run to Fry's to finish my build.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    oh hey compusa just relaunched

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Someone come to Baltimore with me

I'm sorry Six

I've got to keep the devil way down in the hole

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    "hurray" i am going to go to a conference on SAS in october

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

My very first PC build in 1999 had bad ram.

That's two days of my life I'm never getting back.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

but why

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    @Grape Ape @milski
    Srsly tho for monster hunter generations chatbros u should check out the g&t thread and hop on the discord

Always some people around up for hunting most nights

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I guess these q-connectors only come with asus motherboards, thought they were standard:
    640px-Q-connector.jpg

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

but why

I don't know

they aren't selling anything

looks like they're reddit's pc part deals under a big retail brand name

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    the front panel connectors are a weirdly antiquated standard. You'd think by now some MB manufacturer would have some sort of quick-connect plug carrying all those wires, with an adapter to the standard pin header for cases without the plug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Connector

It's beautiful. Asus 5 lyfe.

yeah that's what ends up happening (and what I've had on my last two PCs) but I want them to take it a step further.

Replace the pin header on the mobo with an actual socket, give the standard out to all the case manufacturers, provide a little socket->pin header adapter.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    A cycle race that is right up chat's alley (boom boom)
    j6crKvy.jpg

and then the final leg of the race is down the poop chute right

You jest, but people that build trails always give them insufferably whimsical names on strava

Anything remotely muddy gets termed "the poop chute"

Equally there are approximately six million "spooky woods" out there

I'm afraid to get on Strava and discover just how terrible I am at running compared to everyone else

Actually the joy of it is that there is pretty much always someone slower than you

If you have any level of fitness at ask you can reach, like, top twenty percent reasonably easily

Then you can convince yourself that the tier above you is occupied by people powergaming it in a manner that is not in the spirit of the thing, and thus claim the moral victory

like when you see someone smiling on an early morning jog while you're on your way to work

fuck that person and the massive amount of drugs they're probably on!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Every PC I've every built (for myself) has had a DOA motherboard. All three of them. Some day I will build a PC and not have a dead motherboard but at this point I just expect it to not post.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

but why

What is compusa?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    My last build is the machine I'm using now, which I did May 2014

Now that I've looked that up wow does time fly

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    this is Kaci Lickteig. She ran the Javelina Jundred Mile race the same year Beasto did. She was the first woman to finish at 15 hours 40 min 55 sec. if there was a banana for scale in this pic, you would see that she is barely bigger than the banana.

Kaci-Lickteig-photo-by-Belinda-Agamaite.jpg

You see how she's got just one water bottle and a huge smile on her face? This bish doesn't bother with hydration packs or carrying gus or necessary sustenance to keep her body going, even when she's racing IN THE FUCKING DESERT. And she is constantly smiling, the entire time.

these people are not fucking human i tell you what

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

but why

What is compusa?

compusa is to bestbuy as kmart is to walmart

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    "Grape Ape" milski
    Srsly tho for monster hunter generations chatbros u should check out the g&t thread and hop on the discord

Always some people around up for hunting most nights

Let me get through low rank, and then I for sure will! I played through HR solo in MH4U and I get the strong impression that my experience was diminished for it.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

yes but the flip side of that is, you know, you can genuinely be bad at something or not be performing as well as you should &c

• Options
    I

TELL

YOU

HWAHAHHTAHAHTWHAT

• Options
    this is Kaci Lickteig. She ran the Javelina Jundred Mile race the same year Beasto did. She was the first woman to finish at 15 hours 40 min 55 sec. if there was a banana for scale in this pic, you would see that she is barely bigger than the banana.

[img]https://www.ultrarunning.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Kaci-Li ckteig-photo-by-Belinda-Agamaite.jpg[/img]

You see how she's got just one water bottle and a huge smile on her face? This bish doesn't bother with hydration packs or carrying gus or necessary sustenance to keep her body going, even when she's racing IN THE FUCKING DESERT. And she is constantly smiling, the entire time.

she's probably one of those lizard people that doesn't sweat

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

PharmaSUG?

• Options

[img]https://www.ultrarunning.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Kaci-Li ckteig-photo-by-Belinda-Agamaite.jpg[/img]

she's probably one of those lizard people that doesn't sweat

i swear to god I witnessed it, I watched her cross the finish line at Javelina and not a drop of sweat on her, she's an alien i fkin saw it call the New York Times

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Grape Ape wrote: »

PharmaSUG?
    SESUG
    (going to a conference in this case = getting on the metro and going like 2 stops over)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Skippy what kind of tea are you drinking?

I used to drink only tea and then switched to pretty much only coffee, but I liked tea more.

Or...I like most teas better than I like coffee from a big pot, but not as much as I like a nice espresso, maybe?

so the other day I was complaining to some friends about the egregious number of poops I take during a typical workday

and they sleuthed out that this may be related to the fact that I was drinking like, 1x 4-shot latte + 1x 20oz coffee + 1x diet coke before lunch

so yesterday I had 1x 20oz coffee + 1x 20oz chai tea

today I am having 1x 20oz coffee + 1x 20oz earl grey

after I get used to that for a few days I will look at continuing to walk the total caffeine amount down

years ago I used to do periodic caffeine resets where I'd go cold turkey (with 2 week headache) and then be off it for a while

idk if that is my end goal or not here

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Winky, take it down a couple of notches bro, you're getting a little traveling evangelist on us

though it pains me to say this about a Winky-When-High screed :) he is totally correct about this and isn't even exaggerating

there is really no way for people who haven't tried it to really get what room scale VR is like

though I still wouldn't actually buy the current gen of the Vive. The cables are bulky and too short and very easy to trip on or get tangled in. The headset is very noticeably heavier and less comfortable than the oculus (note: I wouldn't get the oculus either, I just mean that this shows it is possible with current tech to do better). The lack of a built in headphones like the oculus really is a problem for 3d audio as precision is so important there.

Also the IR transmitters are proving to be really unreliable and HTC is absolutely impossible (even compared to those fuckwits at valve) to deal with for returns or customer service. To deal with the issue they just put up replacement IR transmitters for sale. You can get one of those (for a price) right quick. It takes weeks, if ever, for them to respond to a customer whose transmitter just stopped working randomly.

I really want a V2 of either device. A Vive that has the ergonomics and headphones of the oculus or an oculus with the room scale stuff of the vive.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

naw you're having trouble breaking out of your own lifestyle and perceiving the general case

sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to upgrade my pc

I am going to save up and do it all in one rather than piece by piece because I'm not an idiot

Yup

• Options

is it somewhere fun

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Oh man girl I just met at a party last weekend had a total breakdown on Facebook...awwwwkward

Winky on
  • Options
    Every PC I've every built (for myself) has had a DOA motherboard. All three of them. Some day I will build a PC and not have a dead motherboard but at this point I just expect it to not post.

the last PC I built, everything worked fine on first power on and the os install went off without a hitch and I was just like, huh

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I tried room scale VR one time

it was kinda cool

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This is the same with me.

I spend a day trying to fix it. Then one doing a replacement order. Then a week or two of waiting.

Then finally finish the thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I

TELL

YOU

HWAHAHHTAHAHTWHAT

Yaddayaddayadda bodega bagel rats.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh man girl I just met at a party last weekend had a total breakdown on Facebook...awwwwkward

https://youtu.be/z_Y3mnj-8lA

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

yes but the flip side of that is, you know, you can genuinely be bad at something or not be performing as well as you should &c

Yes it's complex to untangle.

I feel like people with impostor syndrome should:
    1. if good, either work it out with a therapist and realize they are good or
    2. if bad, git gud, or rework work ethic and be cool with being bad (therapist probably not required but idk)

but I'm unnecessarily hostile and confrontational about impostor syndrome because it's always put on me inaccurately. Like hey, you're at a meeting for women in science, I bet you have impostor syndrome cause all women do. Um, no, not at all, I know I'm awesome but I want to hang out and complain about my advisor and figure out if he's being sexist in the way he underestimates me.

Meh.

Probably it comes from an anxious personality and just telling people to work it out with a therapist is mean. Sorry. I know that's not a viable solution for everyone.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I tried room scale VR one time

it was kinda cool

Yeah but did you try it high?

This discussion has been closed.