As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    It's really cool.

I can't wait to play it in probably December or never.

I....want the transmog......someone plz....awesome skills on my Astral set....

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Put it in 5U and also release 5U in 2018 plzkthx.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Also I would counter that the beginning of 4U was terrible. But personally I hate all of the boat combat things.

Whether or not you like the Mohran fights, you cannot seriously deny that the experience of repelling an enormous angry sand whale in your underwear is not the best MH opening of all time, especially if you're a new player.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Eh, if I were a new player, after doing that opening mission and a few of the missions after, I would just be like "wtf did that boat battle have to do with anything else im doing?". What killed 4U for me was easily the end game though. The apex monsters just weren't fun to fight against, and the guild mission system was cumbersome. Also, I liked 3U because I had randomly chosen long sword and it didn't suck in that game lol.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Eh, if I were a new player, after doing that opening mission and a few of the missions after, I would just be like "wtf did that boat battle have to do with anything else im doing?".

I think you're letting both your experience with the series and your distaste for the boat battles color your judgment here? Also you eventually get your proper rematch with Dah'ren so it's a nice callback instead of just being "hey here's something completely random" later on.

The boat battles are mostly garbage that have nothing to do with anything else in the game but as introductions go it's brilliant. It lets you encounter a ridiculously huge monster and fend it off without having to worry about learning a weapon or your armor, while also laying the groundwork for the scant few gathering quests you will have to do before getting down to business — 3U and Gen certainly can't say the same about their respective early games!

In fact, let's compare 4U and Gen here.

4U early solo quests (counting any Urgents as the rank they bring you up to):
    1*
    - cook steak
    - learn how to combine a Mega Potion
    (optional weapon training vs. Great Jaggi)

Actual hunts: 0% but it's literally two quests plus the intro vs. Dah'ren

2*
    - gather mushrooms
    - slay Jaggia
    - kelbi horns
    - slay Knochu
    - slay Jaggi
    - deliver eggs (boo!)
    - catch fish
    - Hunt Great Jaggi
    - Hunt Seltas (A. Steppe)
    - reach wagon (Velocidrome)
    - reach wagon (YKK)
    - Hunt Seltas (Sunken Hollow)
    - gather crystals

Actual hunts: 23%, or 3/13; if you include the expeditions that gets much higher (38%) but the hunts there aren't required so I'm not. 7 of these are keys (half!), including both expeditions.

Gen early solo quests:
    1*
    - gather ferns
    - gather crystals
    - gather bugs
    - kelbi horns
    - gather mushrooms
    - slay Maccao
    - slay Jaggi
    (optional training quests, incl. weapons and capturing)

Actual hunts: 0%, no introduction, 7 quests (4 required)

2*
    (5 harvest tours)
    - Hunt Great Maccao (Urgent)
    - slay Rhenos
    - slay Maccao
    - collect berries (by hitting herbivores at the right moment)
    - gather ferns
    - accumulate Wycademy points (Frontier)
    - Hunt Gendrome
    - Hunt Cepadrome
    - slay Genprey
    - slay Hermitaurs
    - gather berries
    - deliver piscine livers (by killing Cephalos)
    - accumulate Wycademy points (Dunes)
    - Hunt Velocidrome
    - slay Bullfango
    - catch fish
    - accumulate Wycademy points (Verdant)
    - Hunt Bulldrome
    - slay Giaprey
    - slay Blangos
    - gather herbs
    - accumulate Wycademy points (A. Ridge)
    - Hunt Azurous
    - slay Jaggia
    - slay Jaggi
    - gather mushrooms
    - gather sprouts
    - accumulate Wycademy points (Misty)
    - 3 gathering quests for Prowlers
    (more optional training, this time for styles)

Actual hunts (ignoring tours and prowlers): 21% spread over four different villages, 6/28; harvest tours bring that average down to 18%, adding prowlers drops it to an actual 1/6th (16%). Even worse, only four of those are keys. A new player won't know which without help and the signal-to-noise ratio is ridiculous.

Generations is a bloated mess, and in the early game boring as hell unless you know which quests (again: 4/36!) actually count. 4U is more focused and has a more coherent narrative.

Without getting into details, 3U is closer to 4U: 6 gather/slays at 1* (3 required — including the one where Lagi crashes the party and you basically have to swim/run for your life); 4 hunts out of 8 (+1 tour) at 2* but two are capture-only (including one of the two keys)!

What killed 4U for me was easily the end game though. The apex monsters just weren't fun to fight against, and the guild mission system was cumbersome.

That I'm not denying, for sure. However you don't even see your first storyline Apex until you've cleared out a ton of the LR and HR stuff, and outside of the introduction the Guild Quests are completely optional. That's still a good 100 hours at the very least before things get wonky. Honestly even just running the pre-4U solo campaign up to the big showdown with Shagaru and stopping there without ever experiencing HR content is worth the $20 for this sale.

My point is that if the early game is trash then new players won't even make it to the late game.

Also, I liked 3U because I had randomly chosen long sword and it didn't suck in that game lol.

3U has a soft spot in my heart for being my first and also for not making me put up with a bunch of poorly-designed crap monsters that 4U and Gen have since foisted upon me (I still miss Wroggi). The fact that duals were one of the best underwater weapons helped too.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    3u is my favorite.

I think for me is goes 3U>Gen>P3rd>4u>Unite

Those are the ones I have played. 3u gets that title more for the fact that I had the most multiplayer hunts on that one and probably put the most time into it as a single unit because of the seer amount of good multi experiences I had.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I feel like starting to learn Monster Hunter is a pretty tough thing to do on your own. You almost need a guide (like a person guide, not a book guide) to help you to start out. Gaijin Hunter on YouTube has filled that role really nicely recently but I STRUGGLED to learn the game when I started. I think I enjoyed Gen the most (in terms of joy per hour) because the Arts and Styles made for a more forgiving experience. It seems like I might be in the minority around here though. No matter how you slice it, don't go into a MH game expecting a great introduction to the gameplay elements. Ever.

edited March 2017
    MH is so bad at tutorializing it's systems in anyway.

The problem is it's super dense. The systems are not exactly organic or intuitive. There has to be a way to teach this stuff without requiring 3 hours worth of 3rd party videos (I've probably spend 100's of hours reading people speculate about maths in how this game works.) to understand what is going on but they sure as hell haven't found out what that something better is yet.

It's sad. I think more people would love this game series if the ramp to understanding what it is trying to do were better.

Seidkona on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    MH is so bad at tutorializing its's systems in anyway.

The problem is it's super dense. The systems are not exactly organic or intuitive. There has to be a way to teach this stuff without requiring 3 hours worth of 3rd party videos (I've probably spend 100's of hours reading people speculate about maths in how this game works.) to understand what is going on but they sure as hell haven't found out what that something better is yet.

It's sad. I think more people would love this game series if the ramp to understanding what it is trying to do were better.

I don't think they ever will. Pretty sure figuring things out on your own is part of the Fun™. Not saying I agree with it myself, but it is pretty clear to me that this is the position of the Devs.

Part of the reason I'm keeping an eye on Dauntless. They could swoop in and grab those people out there that have been turned off by MH. Though I'm tempering my expectations considerably in regards to Dauntless.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I played dauntless at pax, and it seemed neat but the combat was super shallow.

It could be fun but it wouldn't fill the monster hunter space for me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I played dauntless at pax, and it seemed neat but the combat was super shallow.

It could be fun but it wouldn't fill the monster hunter space for me.

This is my concern.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    MH is dense, but that's also part of its appeal - at least to me.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Today is the day for XX.
    Just waiting on the Yamato delivery person to bring me the goods!

edit: That was quick.
    9m1moo3rk9z9.jpg

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cromarty wrote: »
    This is kind of a tough call for me. I think Gen is the best mechanically, but 3U is the only one that feels fully formed and cohesive. It's like having to choose between X2 and X1.
    (In this metaphor, 4U is X3. Although it has the most stuff in it, it was never in the running for best.)

3U is my all time favorite for a variety of reasons but mainly because I liked the monsters and locations the best. I also actually enjoyed the water combat (I know, it's just me). That said 4U had some really cool new monsters too like Nerscylla and great locations. MHGen I'd agree is the best mechanically and while I'm really enjoying it I'm not as fond of the new monsters and locations as in previous games. That to me actually is alot more important than the hunter arts / styles.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    The water fights instantly dunk 3U down to midtier at best for me. I hated them more than I've hated anything in a Monster Hunter game.

I really liked 4U, though I wish the guild quest system was better.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Okay. Brave style makes it a whole new game.

Kinda wished I played the JP version of MHX more, cause of how damn much transfers over. I sorta stopped playing MHX when I removed my level cap. Then swapped to the NA version later to play with coworkers.

Still, great starting point... feels like purely a huuuuge expansion. Wanna fight the new Diablos. I dont know the first kanji in his title, asked the wife and she didnt even know. She just said its super rare and means hes an insane devil or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    This is kind of a tough call for me. I think Gen is the best mechanically, but 3U is the only one that feels fully formed and cohesive. It's like having to choose between X2 and X1.
    (In this metaphor, 4U is X3. Although it has the most stuff in it, it was never in the running for best.)

3U is my all time favorite for a variety of reasons but mainly because I liked the monsters and locations the best. I also actually enjoyed the water combat (I know, it's just me). That said 4U had some really cool new monsters too like Nerscylla and great locations. MHGen I'd agree is the best mechanically and while I'm really enjoying it I'm not as fond of the new monsters and locations as in previous games. That to me actually is alot more important than the hunter arts / styles.

Yeah, the 3rd Gen monsters were just, by and large, better than their old counterparts, and people might remember how I spent a lot of the run up to 4 grumbling about nostalgia forcing old worse monsters back on us when the likes of Gigginox disappeared from the universe.

And I also enjoyed water combat a lot and still miss it. Fighting a Lagiacrus underwater was a monumentally cool thing. That said, it did have the problem of disproportionately benefitting some weapons. Like, Lance lost very little going from ground to water, while SnS had most of its moveset gutted and rendered useless.

I also liked the build-a-bowgun thing 3 did, but that was also walked back and thrown into the nonexistence pile.

You know, in general, it kinda feels like the Monster Hunter fandom don't deal terribly well with new stuff, do we?

Steam ID: Right here.
    The new air drops are cool. You research each one, then order it with points before a mission, then it drops in front of you at the start. So you can have stuff like the area map in the air drop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Drascin wrote: »
    You know, in general, it kinda feels like the Monster Hunter fandom don't deal terribly well with new stuff, do we?

I dunno. If MH5 doesn't keep styles there might be a huge backlash.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I'm personally mixed on them, though if XX balances them better it would be fine.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Styles are frankly too large a change and too positively received to just throw in the garbage.

Prowlers, too. If MH5 came out without those features, I'm not sure if I'd buy it.

Polaritie wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I'm personally mixed on them, though if XX balances them better it would be fine.

Sure, some tweaking is probably in order but like Dac said if they were just done on MH5 it would be a huge backstep.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

Yeah, the 3rd Gen monsters were just, by and large, better than their old counterparts, and people might remember how I spent a lot of the run up to 4 grumbling about nostalgia forcing old worse monsters back on us when the likes of Gigginox disappeared from the universe.

And I also enjoyed water combat a lot and still miss it. Fighting a Lagiacrus underwater was a monumentally cool thing. That said, it did have the problem of disproportionately benefitting some weapons. Like, Lance lost very little going from ground to water, while SnS had most of its moveset gutted and rendered useless.

I also liked the build-a-bowgun thing 3 did, but that was also walked back and thrown into the nonexistence pile.

This is why I hated water combat. I'm an SnS main. You couldn't play SnS in 3U if you were fighting a water monster and that was awful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Styles are frankly too large a change and too positively received to just throw in the garbage.

Prowlers, too. If MH5 came out without those features, I'm not sure if I'd buy it.

Agreed. I am pretty sure I still would but it would be a tough sell for the 3+ friends I sold on MH because of how much fun the arts and styles in Gen were.

I hope striker gets a bit more gimmick in MHXX than 'get rewarded for getting hit', because that's going to be a baaaad idea in G rank.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I hope striker gets a bit more gimmick in MHXX than 'get rewarded for getting hit', because that's going to be a baaaad idea in G rank.

Striker's gimmick was the third art slot though, wasnt it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »

This is why I hated water combat. I'm an SnS main. You couldn't play SnS in 3U if you were fighting a water monster and that was awful.

I main or frequently use SNS and did it anyways lol. I really like aquatic stuff though and I think that's part of why I enjoyed the water combat (like I love underwater combat in GW2 as well). That said it could be very annoying at times too.

The hunter arts for me are kind of mixed. I like them but I worry the game is moving away from its low fantasy style of man vs nature. All these flashy moves kind of feel like the hunters are becoming too powerful compared to the monsters.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    edited March 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »

Striker's gimmick was the third art slot though, wasnt it?

Its other thing was having it be "easier to charge the hunter art gauge!", which actually meant you got HA from getting hit, when other styles didn't.

Dac on
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    It's nice to know that after all these years of gaming, there are still things that make me go "wtf japan"

https://youtu.be/nDHW9bD685k

Jeix wrote: »
    It's nice to know that after all these years of gaming, there are still things that make me go "wtf japan"

https://youtu.be/nDHW9bD685k

They are from a Japanese news show called あさチャン (Asachan). Its pretty much Good Morning America, Japan style.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Insane Devil Diablos sounds pretty rad

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I'm more excited for Six Engine VTOL Dragon, myself.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

My overall favorite is still Tri. There were a few flaws (Barioth's and Alatreon's original hitboxes, Barroth's lack of downtime between charges, everything but lance having an inferior moveset underwater), and it was smaller scale, but that scale and fresh start permitted such impressive quality to go into everything -- these hitches aside, it was indeed a rebirth the series needed. Just a few old monsters came back, each with head to tail redesign to rid themselves of their defects, and all the other designs were re-imagined to be better, more fun executions of the same themes. Same is true for many mechanics, such as the enormously improved spawning/gathering. Nearly all gear and each monster was awesome, and it was the last game to offer something like the original R-analog-to-attack controls; there was something viscerally satisfying about it.

3U, despite all it added, was stripped-down in several ways which bothered me:
    - No actual day/night cycle (the nighttime Moga theme is outright gone).
    - Sub-species. I've never liked them. I'd rather have all the effort to palette/element swap every monster go into just 1 more unique monster instead. Also tie into the next item...
    - Changing and immensely nerfing and skills on most armor sets, as well as inflating the skill pool with a lot of cheap, trash skills. Never understood why existing armors couldn't be unchanged with new armors having new combinations of skills, plus a few desirable new ones.
    - Greatly compressing the quests in each rank; for example, while you could fight Rathian in D. Island, Sandy Plains, and Flooded Forest in each difficulty Tri, there was only one Rathian locale per-rank in 3U.
    - Tossing Loc Lac entirely. Why couldn't Tanzia Port be just for local wifi?
    - Huge performance issues with transparency on WiiU.

It's a good game, I had plenty of fun with it. The P3rd & brand-new content was welcome, but I have mixed feelings on it due to the above. I think they also missed an opportunity to revise the underwater movesets of Tri's weapons to be nearly identical in and out of water, like the returning types.

I'm quite glad XX has gone the direct expansion route and doesn't seem to be paring down anything. It's what I wish 3U had been, a direct expansion to Tri, and not so heavily influenced by P3rd's many needless changes to spec.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I would be perfectly happy with future games not keeping hunter arts. Then again, I used a Hunting Horn, so I'm not sure how valid my opinion is there.

With how amazing brave style is, its hard to care much about arts now. You only get one slot for them in brave style, and the constant animation canceling combo onslaught makes me rarely use the one I have. Brave style is so fun, it makes hammer gameplay a nonstop attacking chain of awesomeness.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You apparently get to remake the character when you transfer all your stuff from X. Just leave it unlocked so I don't have to choose between male Gammoth and female Gammoth, Capcom.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just saw this in the Switch thread:
    Maz- wrote: »
    Sounds like we are being Double-Crossed ... on Switch. Honestly wondering if the 3DS version will come West at all.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    I'd be ok with that.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I would buy a switch for Mon Hun

J3qcnBP.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular