As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good Hunting Horn set to use after Strange? Nothing seems to be standing out.

Strange is the highest set with Maestro, but that's an easy one to gem in. Stamina Thief is either Kita Star (Dirty Fencing includes it) or... Maccao lol for HR.

You're probably just looking at gemming Maestro into any generically good blademaster armor.

Yeah, Kita Star looks kind of useless, since its defense is barely an upgrade for me and Hunting Horns don't really benefit from Marathon Runner.

The problem is that many generically good blademaster armors don't seem to have decoration slots at all.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Alright gang, first of all thanks @Frosteey @Knight_ and @Orphane for helping me complete my goal of getting all the bug sets.

Secondly, I'm trying to decide between the final form of either the Heat Haze or the Feminine Haze. I'm going to use one of those two, but I can't choose which one.

Advice, opinions, etc?

• Options
    Also, similar question - fully upgraded insecticutters or insectiscythes?

• Options
    Hmm, Arc S has plenty of slots, I could fill those with Maestro and combine it with some other skill on a talisman (right now I'm using a +6 rec level talisman with 3 slots, for a total of +10). If I ever do find a handicraft talisman, I can switch over to using that and get Sharpness+2.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I am exactly one slot short of adding Razor Sharp onto Guard+2 and Artillery Expert and it is infuriating.

• Options
    Ooh, just got a pair of interesting talismans in the same quest reward. The first one is Sheathing+4/Handicraft+4, which would be even better if I was using a slower weapon but is still pretty neat. The second is HotBlooded+5 with 3 slots, which gives me some room to play around with mixing in Kushala R. Though on second thought maybe not, since the only piece that shares both Handicraft and HotBlooded is the legs, and Arc S legs are awesome.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Tough one. Insectirippers have a higher raw (220 vs. 190), but Alated Insect has natural white sharpness (and more blue than the 'rippers if I'm reading that bar right) plus two slots.

In this game I'd err on the side of more slots and better sharpness, personally.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Tough one. Insectirippers have a higher raw (220 vs. 190), but Alated Insect has natural white sharpness (and more blue than the 'rippers if I'm reading that bar right) plus two slots.

In this game I'd err on the side of more slots and better sharpness, personally.
    I haven't used DBs in a while, but wouldn't the white get chewed through in no time? For the majority of the hunt it will be 220 raw plus blue versus 190 raw plus blue.

Although running the numbers now, it doesn't even matter; 220+blue is better than 190+white, and 220+green is better than 190+blue if you don't bounce. Blue to White is generally worth about 20 raw, and Green > Blue is worth like 25-30.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Lagombi parts up to bat today, despite aiming for Gypceros, which remains elusive for finding teammates.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm. Beat the Hyper Brachy from the Footbatch Cat. What's next for Toka unlock? He's not giving another request atm.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I haven't used DBs in a while, but wouldn't the white get chewed through in no time? For the majority of the hunt it will be 220 raw plus blue versus 190 raw plus blue.

Although running the numbers now, it doesn't even matter; 220+blue is better than 190+white, and 220+green is better than 190+blue if you don't bounce. Blue to White is generally worth about 20 raw, and Green > Blue is worth like 25-30.

Honestly for me it really doesn't matter because pure raw duals just feel horrible regardless of actual stats. Given my option I use the Narga ones because I like the pretty crit flashes — and they took away the bug blades' affinity on top of everything else.

• Options
    Oh. For blast weapons. What should I add after Sharpness+2 and Bomb Boost (trivial with Brachy EX armor - just need +4 handicraft from a charm)?

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    razor sharp probably

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Can charms not have +10 Fast Charge? Am I wasting my time or just unlucky?

• Options
    Also @Wyvern thanks. I'd kind of decided on the Insectirippers, and that helps me feel better.

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    razor sharp probably

Would have to be a charm that gave +10 points, because the gems reduce handicraft. Speed Sharpening is an option though. Can't use Absolute Readiness easily on LS because the LS arts are so damn good (and Sakura is basically mandatory).

• Options
    edited August 2016
    After hundreds of hours playing as a Hunting Horn user, I've come to the conclusion that Hammer users are scum and deserve to suffer. I'm one or two more launches away from never holding back on superpounds ever again.

jothki on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hmm. Beat the Hyper Brachy from the Footbatch Cat. What's next for Toka unlock? He's not giving another request atm.

I just went through this. There are a few non related things you need to do.

Hr2 Fresh is Best
    Village 5 Island Heat
    Completed the village request "the combinator"

I was missing Fresh is Best. I did that and the final unlocked. Hopefully I can get that done sometime this week and finally make this armor.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Hr2 Fresh is Best
    Village 5 Island Heat

I was missing Fresh is Best. I did that and the final unlocked. Hopefully I can get that done sometime this week and finally make this armor.

Hmm. Got all those.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Can charms not have +10 Fast Charge? Am I wasting my time or just unlucky?
    FastCharge caps out at 5. A lot of the kinds of skills you'd look for max out at 5-6. You can see a list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tp_IaGATG8f9V3RGPvGLljq9VjnwnyG5rOuAk0nQayY/edit#gid=11003305888

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    jrddie2id7ox.jpg
    It was sloppy, but I got it on my first try. It's nowhere NEAR as difficult as the equivalent quest in 4U, which had Apex Diablos and Seregios, followed by an Apex Deviljho.

A feather for me!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Finished my starter GS set today, Focus, Quick Sheathe, Crit Draw

And I think it looks quite nice too!
    WVW69jhMTYERU-OYcX

When I saw ASS was allowing any 3 gem hat I knew what I had to do.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I have an amazing outfit for sharpness +2 and hge

I just need to get 2 more chameleos spikes to make my last hearing decoration

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    That photo of your 3ds is larger than an actual 3ds. Mod looks cool though, might order one tonight.

Thanks! Did it on my phone last night and tested the image size but messed it up. I just linked it until I can fix it later

Edit: eh, I'll just leave the link. That way people can zoom in on the pad to look at it better.

Edit 2: One thing to note about the mod. It doesn't really move or turn into a joystick. It's more like a textured larger nub. You exert force in a direction to get movement still. That being said it requires a lot less force to go in any direction and I can get the camera to go a lot faster than I could with the nub.

Nice. The nub was fine for other games but I'm spinning the camera so much in MHG and I find it stops responding/gets greasy after a while and it messes me up. I've reverted to using L lock-on again in fights.

I didn't even need a tool to do it. I just hooked the nub from right to left with my fingernail and then pulled up on it.

I played a bit last night after doing it and its infinitely easier to control the camera now.

Just wanted to chime in and say I did this too.

It's so much better for fine camera control. I'd been avoiding using the nub at all since I'd always had problems with it.

Much happier with the mod and no problems with it so far.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Hr2 Fresh is Best
    Village 5 Island Heat

Hmm. Got all those.

@Polaritie Village 4 Peddling Practice?

edit: Here's the list of all of Requirements:

V3 For Whom the Egg Yolks
    V4 Peddling Practice
    V5 Island Heat

H2 Fresh is best
    H7 Wolf and the Footbath
    H7 Steam and Smoke
    H6 Nibeling on Apples
    H6 The Plesioth Adventure

Villiage Request - The Combinator

Doing all of that should unlock the final quest H7 Searching for Secret Baths.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jeix wrote: »
    That photo of your 3ds is larger than an actual 3ds. Mod looks cool though, might order one tonight.

Thanks! Did it on my phone last night and tested the image size but messed it up. I just linked it until I can fix it later

Edit: eh, I'll just leave the link. That way people can zoom in on the pad to look at it better.

Edit 2: One thing to note about the mod. It doesn't really move or turn into a joystick. It's more like a textured larger nub. You exert force in a direction to get movement still. That being said it requires a lot less force to go in any direction and I can get the camera to go a lot faster than I could with the nub.

Nice. The nub was fine for other games but I'm spinning the camera so much in MHG and I find it stops responding/gets greasy after a while and it messes me up. I've reverted to using L lock-on again in fights.

I didn't even need a tool to do it. I just hooked the nub from right to left with my fingernail and then pulled up on it.

I played a bit last night after doing it and its infinitely easier to control the camera now.

Just wanted to chime in and say I did this too.

It's so much better for fine camera control. I'd been avoiding using the nub at all since I'd always had problems with it.

Much happier with the mod and no problems with it so far.

At this point I've had 4 or 5 hunt sessions with the mod and I can say I am very pleased.

I no longer feel like I am fighting with the equipment to get the camera control to work. It's made a huge difference for me so far.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    After hundreds of hours playing as a Hunting Horn user, I've come to the conclusion that Hammer users are scum and deserve to suffer. I'm one or two more launches away from never holding back on superpounds ever again.

Maybe stay away from the head?

Sound advice from anyone who isn't rocking a hammer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Hunting Horns like to be at the head, too.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

Hunting Horns are basically just musical Hammers.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Once I get Toka made I'm going to start working on a good Hammer setup to bring.

But yeah HH's can provide just as much KO to the head as a hammer can just in different ways. KO value on a HH is lower per hit but it's also faster to hit so it evens out.

HH's are sustained whereas Hammers are burst.

Seidkona on
  • Options

They like to, but if they go up there I lay any blame on them for getting knocked around. Horn just isn't a good at it, the hunting arts only cementing this, and I'll ignore anyone who gets in the way of me knocking something out.

And hammer definitely wins the disruption game if someone tries to get salty.

They can get minds eye, they can go wherever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

They like to, but if they go up there I lay any blame on them for getting knocked around. Horn just isn't a good at it, the hunting arts only cementing this, and I'll ignore anyone who gets in the way of me knocking something out.

I mean if we're going that route do you just get out of the way for Charge Bladers?

I get being a bit put off is someone who can't do KO is there at the head. As a Lancer I'll fully accept being thrown away if I make it there and a Hammer or HH user comes up but if I were playing with my Hammer setup and someone else with KO gets there first I'd just let them have it and run up exhaust on the body.

• Options

Hr2 Fresh is Best
    Village 5 Island Heat

Hmm. Got all those.

V4 Peddling Practice
    V5 Island Heat

H2 Fresh is best
    H7 Wolf and the Footbath
    H7 Steam and Smoke
    H6 Nibeling on Apples

Ah, that's it then - the two HR6 hypers I don't have.

And it's a shame since the armor is so damn easy to make.

• Options

Hr2 Fresh is Best
    Village 5 Island Heat

Hmm. Got all those.

V4 Peddling Practice
    V5 Island Heat

H2 Fresh is best
    H7 Wolf and the Footbath
    H7 Steam and Smoke
    H6 Nibeling on Apples

Ah, that's it then - the two HR6 hypers I don't have.

And it's a shame since the armor is so damn easy to make.

It's just gated behind a ton of bullshit.

• Options
    That last quest looks unpleasant. Well, somewhat - hyper Royal is a chump, hyper Zinogre can be nasty (mitigated by excellent tells), haven't done hyper Duram.

• Options
    That last quest looks unpleasant. Well, somewhat - hyper Royal is a chump, hyper Zinogre can be nasty (mitigated by excellent tells), haven't done hyper Duram.

Duram is a pushover (sad trombone) so I can't imagine Hyper is too bad.

But facing down the Zin after being worn down a bit might be rough.

• Options

Duram is a pushover (sad trombone) so I can't imagine Hyper is too bad.

But facing down the Zin after being worn down a bit might be rough.

Faced my first hyper Zin last night and that thing is fast when it executes its hyper attacks.

• Options
    I knocked out dual Rajang last night (Arena switch fence is life!) and then took out Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian this morning. Silver and Gold gave me the most trouble... I kept getting juggled by Silver into a Gold backflip, which is basically "Welp, Farcaster out and sleep" at that point. I also activated Swarm just before entering the arena (which is what I do if Swarm is up and I'm heading out of the starting zone), except the step forward while stabbing the ground pushed me through the zone transition, canceling the Swarm from happening. :( It was definitely a comedy of errors until Gold died, after which Silver was a cakewalk (a single monster? YAY!).

Two more village quests, then I'm done with my current list. Not sure if more village quests spawn (since there's that stupid Quest Rotation thingy).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I mean if we're going that route do you just get out of the way for Charge Bladers?

I get being a bit put off is someone who can't do KO is there at the head. As a Lancer I'll fully accept being thrown away if I make it there and a Hammer or HH user comes up but if I were playing with my Hammer setup and someone else with KO gets there first I'd just let them have it and run up exhaust on the body.

Charge blade isn't better in gen actually. Different, but no where near what it was in 4u.

So no. In 4u? Yes. Easy enough to do in after their burst because the follow-up animation is slow as crap.

Also any animation is too long so you should be rolling out of the way. If you're somehow in the way of someone else's attack that means you either

A) didn't roll out.
    B) ran up as they were mid animation.
    C) were wasting time using a combo when that's just.. well, a waste of time.
    D) maybe someone unsheathe upswings because they are a noob.

I feel if you're playing with a modicum of attention to others in multiplayer you'll realize the actual bad zones of most weapons aren't that much of a problem. LS is panned specifically because it's no where near as easy to avoid as every weapon that came before it. ... Or after it.

But hey everyone has their own opinion on things. I just know how I hunt.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I just make sure I get Orange extract with Insect Glaive. That prevents knockdown from about half the weapons. The other half (Lance charge, Wyvern Fire, Hammer pound, HH Superpound, upswings) aren't something you can really do anything about regardless of what weapon you are using, and the upswings now don't leave you helpless (free Aerial attacks!).

In general, I look for a location someone isn't already stabbing and stab at that location with all weapons. You get higher DPS if everyone is hitting the monster, even if you are hitting a sub-optimal hitzone. I hate when everyone gathers at one armpit and only one person is dealing damage because the other three are being tripped.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png