As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I am very jealous. Wish I had the money for it.

Also, I managed to talk one of my friends who has never played a MH game into getting generations the other day. Unfortunately WoW just released one of their content patches so it is like impossible to get him to play it now lol.

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Finally got the Dreadking armor. Do I have to upgrade it a few times to get the Dreadking skill or what?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    Finally got the Dreadking armor. Do I have to upgrade it a few times to get the Dreadking skill or what?

Yeah, they have to hit... 5 or 6 I think? I can't recall the exact level it kicks in. May be lower, definitely not higher.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    6 to unlock deviant skills

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Random question. In 4U, is the Titania or the Deadly Serpentblade better? My "added elements suck" sense is leading me towards the Titania, but I figured I might want to check just in case.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Pretend elements aren't even there on a GS. 30 more raw and 5% affinity yes please.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    If it were an actual element and not poison it might be different depending on what monster you were fighting, but yeah, Titania is way better.

• Options
    Another question, as a Greatsword user, should I be spending the majority of a fight luring the monster near a ledge or climbable wall and then repeatedly jump attacking it? Because it feels so right when I do it.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    jothki wrote: »
    Another question, as a Greatsword user, should I be spending the majority of a fight luring the monster near a ledge or climbable wall and then repeatedly jump attacking it? Because it feels so right when I do it.

In 4U? Probably not, although it is fun.

If you were playing Generations I would revommend Aerial Style.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    If it were an actual element and not poison it might be different depending on what monster you were fighting, but yeah, Titania is way better.

The formulas make it really hard for element to win even on SnS and DB. They do lots of it, but the biggest problem is hitboxes.

For example, Zinogre tops out at 65 (or 70 from shot) on the head (and only 15 element!). For element it tops out at a mere 25 on the back, and raw ranges 35-45 depending on type on that spot.

Disregarding sharpness, affinity, etc... compare Kirin (220/54 maxed) and Daora (270/35) SnS.

Daora has 50 more raw, which with ~.2 motion on the head gives around 6 more damage per hit. Kirin has 19 more element. But against the lower hitbox it gains 3 damage from element. The raw wins.

On the back, you get a bit under 5 more from Daora from raw. Kirin nets all of 5 from element. So even there it's only a tie.

Now lets look at the back legs you'll whack most of the fight (or tail, it's pretty similar hitboxes). That's 45 from melee and only 10 element. Clearly the raw trounces element again. Since this is basically where SnS will be glued to unless Zinogre's down the winner is clear overall.

Now, there is one hitbox the element will win handily on. The tail tip is a mere 21 from cut and 20 element. So Kirin is ahead by 3 damage per hit or so. On a spot you'll bounce with anything under white sharpness.

Element can pull ahead more though with skills - you can get significantly higher boosts to element than you can raw from them (without accounting for affinity, I don't want to run that in my head how it pans out there).

This is just for SnS - DB I think works out a little better for element because of lower motion values on each hit, and I might be overestimating average SnS motion value a little.

Element really could use a slight bump in the numbers it gets (or just increase all hitboxes by like... 5, across the board) in order for the break even point to make it more of a choice. Of course, the Kirin weapon lines are also insanely high element.

Also, as an unfortunate side note... Divine Egression's 150/74 may be utterly obscene element... but Stygian Luxuria's 270/43 will destroy it in basically all cases (and that's before we take into account the massive sharpness difference...)

Oh, and for the love of god dual-element DBs need to stop being a thing.

• Options
    Well he was talking about GS, and in 4U there are GS that get like 1000 element, which gets multiplied on charge attacks. Therefore it is entirely possible on some monsters with the right GS that one with lower raw and a huge amount of element could be better.

• Options
    Well he was talking about GS, and in 4U there are GS that get like 1000 element

Aren't the 4U numbers inflated?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yep.

I hope they remain with the base numbers going forward.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

Yep. Divide element by 10.

• Options
    I mean it's not hard to figure things out but it really does make it frustrating for new people to the series to know what's going on.

Oh? using a Switch Axe? Let's see what modifier they used in this version of the game. . .

• Options
    Recent Greatsword achievements:

Breaking every part on a Black Gravios, including a part that I didn't notice until I heard the break sound. Looking it up, I guess it was breaking the chest a second time.

KOing a Monoblos. I wasn't expecting to ever have something like that happen, but I guess all of those bounces must have added up.

• Options
    I also just figured out how to make the X+A attack not completely suck. I really should have looked at a weapon guide at some point.

• Options
    decided to make the grimclaw longsword, even though i had never fought grimclaw before. I went at it with my seregios LS and full silverwind armor and basically got wrecked. carted twice real quick before playing a little better and capturing it when it started limping. It was only grimclaw 1! But I've always been really bad at fighting tigrex. When I soloed the G rank molten tigrex in 4u I nearly shit myself. I also sort of suck with long sword, but despite my sweet silverwind set with weakness exploit from the charm and weapon slots, one of the deviant weapons will work with striker so much better because of the faster hunter arts charge.

I imagine swapping to gunner and farming a few tigrex would be easier, but I kind of need to get better at LS, so I dunno. Just ranting that I almost got completely wrecked by grimclaw 1...

• Options
    Stories confirmed for 3DS this fall!

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet!!!!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Just after i import lol

Xx is guaranteed now, probably jan 2018?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I wonder if they will release the stories amiibo along with it. I know i could always import, but it's cheaper not doing that. If it's been this long and they are localizing stories, i guess there is still hope for XX as well.

Overall i think they announced a lot of stuff that i want for the 3ds in the direct.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Just after i import lol

Xx is guaranteed now, probably jan 2018?

Probably.

Jesus fucking wept. A year. That's how they will reward new Monster Hunter fans that have been popping up in the west: fuck you, delayed longer.

I mean, I suppose Capcom could think that Stories and MHXX are different enough games that one's release doesn't hurt the other and not push back MHXX... But this is Capcom. So I'm just gonna assume the worst.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    if i were to bet, it's going to take longer to port because they are going to simultaneously announce XX for 3ds along with a higher res switch port

• Options
    I dont think there are enough Switches out there yet

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I do wonder, though, what causes these kinds of delays. Capcom generally doesn't have a problem doing near-simultaneous releases with its other games. Shit, even Ace Attorney has been pretty good lately, with 5 and 6 merely having a three month gap, and those games are basically novels that you read through, and have a fraction of the sales that Monster Hunter does...

So yeah. No clue why it takes them so long for MH in particular.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Ugh i am so bad at fighting grimclaw tigrex. GC 4 took me 30 minutes with a LS and i used like all of my potions and the supply ones. I also used the bed twice because the tigrex was in zone 2 and flew away when i was low. I didnt die, but it felt like such a slog. I also did 6-10 with a group which went better, but im sure it wasnt because of my gunning skills. Now i just need to do 5 and i should be able to upgrade my LS all the way to 10.

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    I dont think there are enough Switches out there yet

With the JPN sales going the way they are it will not be long before there are.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Dac wrote: »
    I do wonder, though, what causes these kinds of delays. Capcom generally doesn't have a problem doing near-simultaneous releases with its other games. Shit, even Ace Attorney has been pretty good lately, with 5 and 6 merely having a three month gap, and those games are basically novels that you read through, and have a fraction of the sales that Monster Hunter does...

Just raw localization. There is a ton of text in a MH game, and most items have a very limited character allotment that doesn't work for every language so substitutes need to be found that still work within the spirit of the original. They never release in the US without a European release, which means at least half a dozen translations.

Multiply that by the number of items, equipment (including each tier of weapon upgrade and don't forget Palico stuff), skills, arts, styles, quest descriptions, and all of the random conversation text and I'm honestly amazed that we get these things at all.

I'm pretty sure there are virtual novels with less aggregate text than an average MH game.

Vyolynce on
  • Options

Just raw localization. There is a ton of text in a MH game, and most items have a very limited character allotment that doesn't work for every language so substitutes need to be found that still work within the spirit of the original. They never release in the US without a European release, which means at least half a dozen translations.

Multiply that by the number of items, equipment (including each tier of weapon upgrade and don't forget Palico stuff), skills, arts, styles, quest descriptions, and all of the random conversation text and I'm honestly amazed that we get these things at all.

I'm pretty sure there are virtual novels with less aggregate text than an average MH game.

I can get behind a blame Europe campaign lol

• Options
    edited April 2017

I can get behind a blame Europe campaign lol

But there's a song for Canada. And you can blame the French either way!

Polaritie on
  • Options
    I've been pondering Monster Hunter and DLC. I'd easily be willing to pay $5-$10 dollars to have some of the old high-end bosses added in that otherwise wouldn't make the cut.

I'd also pay $5 to have the original four Elder Dragons removed from the base game and redone as paid DLC. I wouldn't actually buy the DLC, I'd just send Capcom a check.

• Options
    Getting the hayabusa feather is going to be the end of me. I hate all these wycademy point quests, liver gathering, and transport quests.

Been practicing LS a bit though and dont completely suck anymore. Did the hyper 4 flagship + jho quest withsome pugs and nobody died, though i think everyone was out of healing towards the end of jho. Finished with under 5 minutes remaining.

Using the deviant weapon makes a huge difference when playing striker style. I can use the cool skills like all the time now.

Also, lets not give capcom ideas about paid dlc.

• Options
    Wife has finished her side distractions (Pokemon, Bravely Second, Zero Time Dilemma) and returned/started Gen. Was having issues with Nibelsnarf, gave her the usual tips.

Got misty-eyed about that fight since it's so much abuse-able fun.

Turns out that playing Breath of the Wild is horrible for my hunting muscle memory. Like... all of the buttons are backwards. I kept sheathing when I wanted to attack, attacking when I wanted to jump, jumping when I wanted to run... just a mess.

That fight should not have taken that long.

• Options
    Wife has finished her side distractions (Pokemon, Bravely Second, Zero Time Dilemma) and returned/started Gen. Was having issues with Nibelsnarf, gave her the usual tips.

Turns out that playing Breath of the Wild is horrible for my hunting muscle memory. Like... all of the buttons are backwards. I kept sheathing when I wanted to attack, attacking when I wanted to jump, jumping when I wanted to run... just a mess.

I am sure I am rusty as hell right now.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Rusty is one thing. Actively betraying your instincts is another. I'm pretty sure the only way it would have been worse is if the games were on the same system.

• Options

Rusty is one thing. Actively betraying your instincts is another. I'm pretty sure the only way it would have been worse is if the games were on the same system.

well. I am sure I will saw the 3ds in two and use my buttons backawrds too. I've also been playing a lot of Zelda.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well, I tell you what:

You guys make a room some time this week and we'll see if I still shoot everyone off cliffs or into bad positions with not having played in months.

I'm betting yes.

• Options
    I don't want to live in a a world where the answer is no.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I don't want to live in a a world where the answer is no.

I mean, the really excellent ones in the style of what I get @fRAWRst with regularly are gonna be hard to reproduce until I'm back in the swing of it, but I think I can guarantee sending guys flying.