As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i am so down to get shot out of my lvl 3 strong charges

lets hunt!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i am so down to get shot out of my lvl 3 strong charges

lets hunt!

been booting up Gen again daily, mostly grinding pubbies to get more quests done and to find that coveted +5 charge 3 slot

cmon yall we should hunt more!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ive been randomly playing a bit. I charm farmed for 3 hours the other day and ended up with a fastcharge5 3 slot with only a -1 to eating, but i was really looking for a pierce or sharpness 5 with 3 slots. Its also annoying that basically all the best armor is silversol by a mile. So all anyone seems to want to do is the fire emblem quest or farm hellblades for weapons.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    i wanna make everything to prep for the GenU transfer

EDIT: I also desperately need that charm

striker gs in XX with punish draw/lions maw/2x absolutes looks right up my alley

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    it's actually my 2nd +5 fast charge charm, but the first one was -3 loading and i needed it for bow not GS. i just can't bring myself to use GS, it's kind of boring to me.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Didn't have a lot of time for it, but good hunts last night @Frosteey and @fRAWRst

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Sorry I have been busy with work, home stuff and my homelab.

But I think I'd like to hunt soon.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    man guys

so brave GS is pretty dope

all of brave is pretty excellent

the GS especially though

unsheath strong charges

hrghhhhh

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Not that I need more games but Toukiden 2 looks pretty cool and like a very different take on MH. Any of you played it? If so, good?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It slipped under my radar with all the other crazy awesome that dropped this spring.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I wasn't impressed by Toukiden 1.

Too arcade-y for me.

• Options
    Yeah there is too much cool stuff, there is always too much cool stuff.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I think i really just want the mh stories amiibo lol.

So import them? You can find them on ebay for approximately retail. I got my Megaman and Shiek amiibos this way.

Looking at them now I am seriously tempted by the Barioth rider...

In fact, just ordered it. $17.50 w/free shipping. Should be a nice surprise at the end of April.

EDIT: Holy crap I didn't know the riders were interchangable. :3

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Shit. I need that amiibo.

Barioth is one of my favorite fights (as long as people understand the rule of "don't fucking chase the monster")

Edit: To be clear, this depends on the monster - some stuff will happily lob projectiles all day at range. Barioth will charge. And if you chased... well now you've just switched places.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Man remember Vanilla Tri Barroth

shit was so crazy

and then him and Deviljho and Ala got nerfed in P3rd and never again did he pub stomp

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Not that I need more games but Toukiden 2 looks pretty cool and like a very different take on MH. Any of you played it? If so, good?
    @DarkMecha I've put ~40 hours into T2 off and on since its release, and while that's shy of the hundreds in any particular MH I've played, it's basically because I'm cycling so much stuff right now rather than it being worse than MH. I never played T1 or the Kiwami update on any system so I went into T2 fresh and have enjoyed what I've played. At (too much so spilered) length below, but the short is T2's got the best aspects of MH gear farming, combat is perfectly solid for an action game but, like basically any non Platinum/Clover dev'd game, it's not as impactful as MH which is always a huge flaw coming from MH.
    T2 solidified what I want the most, even more than the combat, in a hunting style game: itemization. I want to kill things, break things, wear their skins, scales, furs, horns, tails, and assorted bits, then gather a few things on the side. It's nearly 1:1 from MH to T2 in hunting things, breaking parts, and crafting using those specific parts for equipment. Not as much emphasis on the gathering side but it's still there especially with the demon eyes mechanic for the rarer stuff. So itemization alone means I'll probably sink a hundred hours into it off and on just making gear which is why I sink so much time in MH more than any other reason.

Combat wise it's the ever evolving dynasty warriors combat. I really liked DWGundam 1 and 2 and Hyrule Warriors, sinking a lot of time farming in all three, so seeing T2 be similar to those worked for me. Everything works and clicks for what it is, but it's definitely not MH combat. You don't get the deliberateness of the actions in MH, especially stuff like commit to a potion then flex. T2 the heal is just a skill you activate, it heals you, and you can move while doing it. There's a solid argument attack wise you commit as much as you do in monster hunter so you have to be as careful attacking, especially in the end game stuff, so you can't just mindlessly spam. Some of the super min-max'd stuff gets close depending on what you're fighting, like just spinning with dual daggers, but I've yet to see anything as ridiculous as head locking from MH. I haven't been keeping up with the absolute min-max'd stuff so it may be there if you look for it.

Special mention for hit-stop and impact that nothing else nails like MH other than really Platinum, and when they were Clover with God Hand. Same problem here, combat feels floaty by comparison to MH just like pretty much every game ever. Certain weapons like the club in T2 almost have that same feel when landing tip attacks (special, fun gimmick the club has) but it ain't as good as hitting the head with a MH hammer. If this is what you're looking for, and it's hard to tell someone they're wrong for wanting this aspect of combat given how satisfying MH makes it, T2 may not cut it coming from MH for this reason alone.

The open world aspects are better than anything MH has done. There's a few DW style maps connected as an overworld you run through in the story mode creating a decent chuck of land and climates to hunt in endlessly whether advancing the plot or wanting something other than missions. Missions are there for the multiplayer just like MH, can be played multi, solo, or with bot companions. Better solo experience than any MH, the companions do a heck of a lot more than Felynx, Kayamba/ChaCha, etc. Story is fine for giving you reasons to hunt, better put together than MHs given the dialogue and CG videos, but it's not like better than MH is a high bar to clear for most people and this story ain't anything special either.

Skill system is tied to Mitamas rather than armor making fashion hunting easier. You pick three people/gods be they historical, semi-historical, or mythic and can min max with it. I like it a little more than MH because it's more free form, but it's nothing majorly better.

Weapons are varied enough too just like MH. Taking to the skies constantly with a chain and sickle feels every bit as good as aerial shenanigans in MH, and just like MH, it's easy to over commit in that fun getting killed towards the end game. Mentioned hammer as being semi-close to MH levels of hit-stop and impact so it stands out, but there's plenty of other things to try too.

If you can demo it it's worth a shot. One issue with a demo it is the same as MH though, MH never feels like MH until at least HR where there's a few skills to play with. Some of the mitama combinations you get around the HR equivalent in T2 really made it come alive. Like, a demo isn't going to let you play their take on sword and board with the Arthur+Beowulf+Siegfried mitama combo which makes that weapon insanely fun. That said it will let you see if DW style combat is too floaty or not to get that awesome itemization loop going. If the demo makes you go this is fun enough while we wait for a new MH, it's probably worth grabbing at least during a steam sale if nothing else.

• Options
    @Column Thanks for that write up, sounds very interesting! I may just have to pick that up sometime.

In MH news, I finally got around to beating the village Glavenous quest and then...
    (not that this is a spoiler for many of you, but just incase)

...a crazy felyne music video played and the credits are rolling. I actually beat a MH's village questline for once, haha. I usually get really close to the end, get distracted, then the next one comes out before I can finish it. I should go back and beat the rest of them lol.

The video and credits are really silly and fun, something I love about this series so much. :D Also cats. So many cats.

• Options
    man guys

so brave GS is pretty dope

all of brave is pretty excellent

the GS especially though

unsheath strong charges

hrghhhhh

okay so been solo playing Brave LS

its probably considered the most "op"

once you get into brave as LS, the first hit of R is a mini version of critical junction, i.e. you parry and instantly counter ANYTHING.

if you miss the parry, it just turns into regular spirit combo

brave LS doesnt level up, but as soon as you get brave you get a blue bar and blue glow

blue bar/glow is in between yellow and red, and it lasts ALOT longer than red

Brave GS gets free strong charges from unsheath, as well as super fast charging (like faster than focus)

it also turns GS roll into a DS demon dash

TLDR: brave is dope and MHXX is dope and i cant wait until i can bring my Gen save into it

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    great hunts @Vyolynce @Frosteey

we failed 5 kings once (hyper gammoth, astalos, mitz, glav and jho) but then took it on second try at 47 minutes!

soloing that must be insane

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    great hunts @Vyolynce @Frosteey

we failed 5 kings once (hyper gammoth, astalos, mitz, glav and jho) but then took it on second try at 47 minutes!

soloing that must be insane

Me carting twice against Gammoth made that second run super tense even before the 10-minute warning popped up right when Jho spawned. I said this in Discord but I have no idea why that Jho even leaves rage mode unless it's simply to waste our time with extra roars.

Then we ran into the angriest Lurdoth ever. Twice!

On the positive side, we wrecked that Daora and had a solid run vs. Alatreon. Fighting that thing with Aerial style makes it so much more fun than it was for me in 3U.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Getting the itch to get back in but still waiting on a Generations Ultimate announcement.

You'll budge first, Capcom. Not me. :x
    ...I'm probably going to budge first.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Getting the itch to get back in but still waiting on a Generations Ultimate announcement.

Announced simultaneously with Generations Ultimate HD, for Switch! :biggrin:
    :bigfrown:

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Do what I'm doing and replay 4U instead.

Speaking of soloing nasty fights, I was surprised at how relatively simple the quest with a HR Brute Tigrex and Stygian Zinogre together in the arena was. You'd think they'd both be all over you, but their attacks don't actually have much synergy.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

Announced simultaneously with Generations Ultimate HD, for Switch! :biggrin:
    :bigfrown:

:D Oh please oh please oh please?

• Options
    I was messing around with weapons i dont use much today and going from the clunky gunlance to switch axe was like going super saiyan, it felt so easy. Then i tried some dual blades vs a shaggy and i think i could have done that naked. All weapons are not created equal :(

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm not getting a new MH game until it's a proper sequel and that they bring back the Molten Tigrex.

• Options
    I'm debating waiting for a switch title. But I dont care about molten.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'm debating waiting for a switch title. But I dont care about molten.

I kept my 3DS specifically for the chance that GenU is 3DS only.

If it's a dual release then I will get the Switch version.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I havent touched a switch yet

i would basically only play docked tbh

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I really don't want the switch because the pricing on things like a pro controller are abusive and the joycon are tiny. But there's only so much longer that games will be made for 3ds. I loved 3u on the wiiu for voice chat and a decent online setup, and I know the only way to get that again is in the switch, or wishful thinking the ps4.

Also screw molten tigrex, bring back qurupeco.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm not getting a new MH game until it's a proper sequel and that they bring back the Molten Tigrex.

Molten Tigrex can get back in line behind Lucent Nargacuga.

jothki on
  • Options
    or wishful thinking the ps4.

i dont think this will happen for a very long time, if ever

sony passed on localizing p3rd and capcom jumped shipped completely at that point

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    or wishful thinking the ps4.

i dont think this will happen for a very long time, if ever

sony passed on localizing p3rd and capcom jumped shipped completely at that point

It wasn't just that they passed on localizing p3rd.

They tried to force them to release the game in the west without Sony also updating the utility on the PS3 for network play. So it'd have been a localization with less features and they really didn't want to do that.

• Options
    I mean i did say wishful thinking, basically meaning snowballs chance in hell, but we are getting mh stories which i didnt think theyd bother with.

But god i wish we could play mh with a normal controller and not w/e crazy thing nintendo is up to at any given time.

I do hope dauntless is good and does well, i could stand more monster hunter type games on different consoles. Though im not sure my computer is new enough to actually run it.

Also lets not forget that nintendos online and account systems are always 10 years behind everything else.

• Options
    That crazy thing Nintendo came up with is pretty great though so. . .

• Options
    I mean i did say wishful thinking, basically meaning snowballs chance in hell, but we are getting mh stories which i didnt think theyd bother with.

But god i wish we could play mh with a normal controller and not w/e crazy thing nintendo is up to at any given time.

I do hope dauntless is good and does well, i could stand more monster hunter type games on different consoles. Though im not sure my computer is new enough to actually run it.

Also lets not forget that nintendos online and account systems are always 10 years behind everything else.

Tri did online right.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Entaru wrote: »
    That crazy thing Nintendo came up with is pretty great though so. . .

I am like 95% sure I would not have stuck with MH3U without touch screen support. Part of what killed Tri for me was the control scheme for item use (which I now use almost exclusively, but only once actual fighting became second nature in 4U). On the actual Wii U we even got voice chat, which was fun with good groups.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I think im still salty 4u and gen were never on the wiiu. The online lobby system in 4u was such a step back even though you could go online with the 3ds.

• Options
    I think im still salty 4u and gen were never on the wiiu. The online lobby system in 4u was such a step back even though you could go online with the 3ds.

That wasn't Nintendo though. Capcom didn't want to make a WiiU version because console MH games sell like shit in Japan. 3U only happened to make it so 3U had online.

Look at Tri. Sold abysmally in Japan.

Also probably another good reason a PS4 version is unlikely.

• Options
    Japan and the west have always had different preferences for games though. Now that monster hunter has become more popular in the west i think a console version would do much better. There will certainly be a switch version because it is essentially both. But there is no way in hell i would be bringing my $300+ Switch anywhere in the us, thats how shit gets stolen or broken. Not to mention abyssmal battery life.