Options

Friends At The [Podcast]

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Friends at the Table, latest Marielda ep.
    Austin is downright vicious at times.

Roll to look at this thing, you rolled a five, you get your foot hooked, your head is almost bashed in and you're now in a desperate situation.

Roll to punch this dude in the face, you rolled a five, your shoulder is erased from existence.

It was a five!

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    FIREBALL, VINNY

FIREBALL

scholars will argue for generations whether or not he was fucking with them

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Roll to look at this thing, you rolled a five, you get your foot hooked, your head is almost bashed in and you're now in a desperate situation.

Roll to punch this dude in the face, you rolled a five, your shoulder is erased from existence.

It was a five!
    I think that's just how those games play! Only perfect 6s just have the good shit happen. Which was the hook and bash?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Remake NOLF & NOLF 2 imho

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

It was a five!
    I think that's just how those games play! Only perfect 6s just have the good shit happen. Which was the hook and bash?

Ehhhhh

Part of it is the system, sure

But Austin does have tendency of pushing just how severe a "complication" can be

Which, like, that's what their group knows is going to happen and seems to enjoy; but also it does make it hard for me to listen to sometimes

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Remake elevator action again

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

It was a five!

Ehhhhh

Part of it is the system, sure

But Austin does have tendency of pushing just how severe a "complication" can be

Yeah I suppose that's fair!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That reminds me of like

Dm's who would force you to roll balance to walk across a pier

Whoops you got a 3 you fell down and cracked your head open

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    To be fair, they are on the road to the apocalypse and things should be going horrifically awry.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

It was a five!

Austin is a very...proactive...GM

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    The thing about the Merielda arc so far is

well, in past stories one of austin's key guidelines as a DM was Be A Fan Of The Characters

Which read to me as wanting the characters to experience both success and failure that would lead to interesting developments

And with the latest crop it feels like Austin doesn't really care for the fate of those characters as much as he enjoys messing with his friends

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

It was a five!
    It was a study roll, I was rude enough to categorize Bolster Valentine as a thing rather than an Undead Marieldan. Castille looked at Bolster after he snapped at her, trying to figure out why that seemed familiar, and Ms. Manufactory hooked her leg while she was distracted.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    There's lots of video game trailers that I think are pretty good but nothing that has shocked me with its existence

We live in an era where nostalgia and "brand recognition" are overtrafficked and highly weaponized. Every single thing will eventually get a sequel or a reboot.

They could announce a gritty reboot of Burger Time and I wouldn't bat an eye.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I was pretty damn excited about the new Nier game getting announced.

But that just manifested in me changing the JRPG thread's title and laughing a bunch at Yoko's Emil mask.

I dunno, I think getting super outwardly excited about things kinda got beat out of me in highschool.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    There's lots of video game trailers that I think are pretty good but nothing that has shocked me with its existence

We live in an era where nostalgia and "brand recognition" are overtrafficked and highly weaponized. Every single thing will eventually get a sequel or a reboot.

See

I would be way into a gritty reboot of burger time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

See

I would be way into a gritty reboot of burger time

You're a man convicted of murdering people by mixing cyanide into your burgers

you get sent to prison where you have to make burgers under the watchful eye of the warden

the tagline is "Don't want to do the burger time? Don't do the burger crime."

• Options

It was a five!
    It was a study roll, I was rude enough to categorize Bolster Valentine as a thing rather than an Undead Marieldan. Castille looked at Bolster after he snapped at her, trying to figure out why that seemed familiar, and Ms. Manufactory hooked her leg while she was distracted.

Oh gotcha, I just forgot which roll it was is all. Yeah, that was a rough one.

• Options

It was a five!

Oh, when I say "rude", I meant I also forgot and had to go back and scroll through the ep to find it. I just remembered the base situation.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I was pretty damn excited about the new Nier game getting announced.

But that just manifested in me changing the JRPG thread's title and laughing a bunch at Yoko's Emil mask.

I dunno, I think getting super outwardly excited about things kinda got beat out of me in highschool.

The only possible game announcement that could actually make me lose my mind is if, like, Square announced FFX-3 and also it was the exact storyline I had made up.

So essentially there is a 0% chance that any video game announcement would make me lose my mind.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

It was a five!

Oh, when I say "rude", I meant I also forgot and had to go back and scroll through the ep to find it. I just remembered the base situation.

I think the only thing is that it completely fits the fiction. She was distracted, and then that happened. Idk. It's like OH NO but I don't know that that one pushes the limit.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It was a five!
    Those consequences made sense because Castille was already in a Desperate position when she made that roll, because they were in the middle of a fight.

• Options

It was a five!

I think the only thing is that it completely fits the fiction. She was distracted, and then that happened. Idk. It's like OH NO but I don't know that that one pushes the limit.

I think it's three things. One, that specific thing happens twice in the ep, so it stood out. Secondly I'm already not sold on a system where half your rolls is a fail and two thirds of your remaining rolls get treated more like partial fails than partial successes. And thirdly it feels like the punishment in no way fits the crime, she'd have been better off not doing this thing and succeeding at it.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

When Stranger Things gets a remake is when we've come full circle.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

It was a five!
    Those consequences made sense because Castille was already in a Desperate position when she made that roll, because they were in the middle of a fight.
    "You're now in a Desperate position" is Austins direct quote after that happens, so I don't think she was.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've said this before but I think Austin is running a very harsh version of Blades in the Dark and his players (except for Siege -- that guy knows what's up) are also playing the game "poorly" which is not helping them out.

That comedy of errors/tragic failure might be the tone they're going for but it does clash with the tone of all phases of the FatT games except maybe the finale of Counter/Weight.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'd probably get excited about a sequel to Sid Meyer's Pirates!, but that's also a pretty low % chance of ever happening.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TWA

The Thunderzord is kind of obtuse to assemble. There's pieces that are kind of hard to snap and sometimes they don't actually snap at all and it's more of just "set this piece in this other piece and make sure it rests in the right spot" I'm kind of nervous about disassembling and reassembling it, to be honest.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I love

the Shenmue Endurance Run.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I love

the Shenmue Endurance Run.

TELL ME ABOUT CHINESE PEOPLE

"oh... jeeze Ryo, its 2016 ok man?"

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    That reminds me of like

Dm's who would force you to roll balance to walk across a pier

Whoops you got a 3 you fell down and cracked your head open

To be fair stuff like this is really system contextual.

Am I playing D&D? Yeah, I suddenly "remember" I have another social obligation, excuse myself and never play under that GM again.

Am I playin Call of Cthulhu? I go, shit, yeah, what was my dumb ass doing out in a dangerous place like a pier?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Roll to breathe

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Roll to urinate.

• Options
    Roll to breathe

Well crap, now I'm breathing manually.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Roll to breathe

I can honestly see this being rolled in Call of Cthulhu. Possibly due to the result of first really botching a sanity check, or something snaking a tentacle around your throat.

Heh, failing to roll to breathe would actually not be a bad way to go in that system as it would be pretty memorable for the group. "Remember that time your character got so scared he literally forgot to keep breathing?"

Most memorable CoC death in my group was probably one player getting mind controlled, shotgunning another player to death instantly, and then the rest of the adventure no longer being about stopping an eldritch evil, but rather how to destroy all evidence and flee the country. I love it when stuff goes pear shaped.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Roll for anal circumference

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shenmue is paced exactly like I remember it so far

Go talk to someone during the day, okay now kill time until night to talk to someone else, okay now you need to see this other person during the day, oh they tell you to go see this other person at night, etc

• Options
    Though I dunno, another really good one was when one player died twice in one sitting. First time he died was like five minutes into the session where he threw open a door and stood in it, and promptly got gunned down by like 5 concealed gunmen in the woods. He rolled up another dude and joined us on a train, and when investigating a cult of yig we ran into a giant physical manifestation of yig that ate his new character in one bite, causing my character to decide that supplication was wiser than resistance, turning my into a cultist of yig and beginning my slow decent into madness.

God I love Call of Cthulhu. I should run it again sometime.

• Options
    Okay, I can't listen to this at work. I just lost it at Zack trying to explain himself for watching Alvin and the Chipmunks and I'd rather not have to explain any of this to my coworkers.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I also understand where Sony is coming from, though

It is a way bigger deal, PR Wise, to have CLEAN FACES, ULTIMATE BOOB/NIPPLE PACK V 3.6 or a potentially system bricking mod pop up on the Top Mods page on a console versus whatever random Fallout Mod Site you're browsing on the PC

I mean we don't know the details so maybe Sony had some truly outrageous demands but it feels like more of a situation where Bethesda refused to compromise it's original vision despite the console landscape being a different animal

I would also not be surprised if sony was putting the onus on bethesda to curate the mods and be liable for them, which seems fair to me, and bethesda was like "but that will cost us more money and make us liable for things!" and then spun it like big bad sony was being unreasonable, send your hatemail their way not our way, etc.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I ALMOST got mega-excited when a cel-shaded looking game from Level 5 showed up at a Sony conference recently but it was just bullshit Ni No Kuni 2 and not MOTHERFUCKING Dark Cloud 3.

That is the game that would get me excited. Although maybe Dragon Quest Builders will slake that thirst?

I've already got a Torment sequel, I got an HD Grim Fandango, I'm pretty good.

Maybe Burnout Paradise 2 - Trouble In Paradise, but Forza Horizon was really good and it's not the same crew that made Paradise.

Chrono Trigger real-ass sequel? But it wouldn't be the same.

This discussion has been closed.