As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trails/Kiseki] - Trails through Daybreak, Summer '24, PS4/5, Switch and PC

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    TC first impressions:

1. I really like the relationship they set up between the main characters. Even by the standards of this series, there's an unreasonable amount of history and personality packed into their first interaction.
    2. The battle music is great.
    3. Mama Russell is great.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh so primary story is really short huh.

No wonder all my side missions were suddenly marked as failed when I initiated the point of no return.

Also, would have I known the the 8 legged goliath was a chain of boss fights without pauze I would have stocked up before entering the point of no return, now I had to do all these fights with no health items and had to chip myself full of health recovery chips.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    TC is...odd, but I think I like it.

Now, just give me Olivier game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    There are... a lot of typos in this game.

Like, a lot. More than can be excused with just "there's a lot of text so it's not surprising that they sometimes get it wrong"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Blackjack wrote: »
    There are... a lot of typos in this game.

Like, a lot. More than can be excused with just "there's a lot of text so it's not surprising that they sometimes get it wrong"

Steam or GoG version?

Renzo on
  • Options
    Steam.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Yeah, I've already seen a fair number of typos in the few hours I've played. They'll probably get patched. SC had a lot of text patches in the month after release.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    The music is deliberately a bit dissonant, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant to listen to. HATE the battle theme and the main field music. Kinda not feeling the linearity so far, hope it settles down and lets things breathe as it goes.

• Options
    A long time ago, I posted this.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Oh, Olivier...you're my favorite.

CesffGV.jpg

the more things change...

F899WLq.jpg

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    The end of chapter 6 will be the end of me.

"Hey, remember those Ouroboros enforcers from SC? How would you feel to fight all three of them at the same time, fellow The 3rd player?"

Christ, and I thought Cassius Bright was a pain. Good music remix, though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I've been playing Cold Steel on the PC - it's a great port! - and have made it much further than I ever got in the PS3 version. I'm now at the start of chapter six. I don't know if I could wait for the second game on PC, though. Durante made it sound like it may not release this year. I do own both games on console, so I'm tempted to continue playing the series there. But does CS2 have the same fractured line recording as the first game?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    I've been playing Cold Steel on the PC - it's a great port! - and have made it much further than I ever got in the PS3 version. I'm now at the start of chapter six. I don't know if I could wait for the second game on PC, though. Durante made it sound like it may not release this year. I do own both games on console, so I'm tempted to continue playing the series there. But does CS2 have the same fractured line recording as the first game?

Somewhat, but overall CS2 has better VO coverage and cuts down on those awkward voiced/unvoiced sequences.

• Options
    Reminder for those of you playing Cold Steel right now:

At some point after finishing chapter 6, you should read the script for the Ymir trip. There was a large story sequence that ended up getting cut from the game because it had already gotten Too Damn Long. In Japan, this sequence was released as an audio drama. In English, all we got was a translated script on the game's website. It's super important, because CS2 references this sequence every other fucking line.

Also, there was a second audio drama from early in act 2 of CS2 that I was not aware of until now, from what would have been a new area. It's nowhere near as important.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, there's a youtube video of that one kind-of-plot-critical NG+ quest, for anyone that has finished CS2 and isn't going to replay it: Trails in the Sky the 3rd provides some context.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The second audio drama is even better if you've read the Ring of Justice manga. It is set between Trails in the Sky III and the untranslated Crossbell duology and features a number of familiar characters.

There's a fan-translated version here.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Sen no Kiseki 3 trailer
    https://youtu.be/fr-8b6S6HOQ

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    OMG, he's back! (Spoiler from a split second in the trailer)
    Olivier! No, not Olivert. Olivier!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Trailer is rad. It almost looks like they have a budget this time around.

I don't know whether I feel excited or spoiled to have read about so many returning characters. On the one hand, the surprises would have been cool. On the other hand, it's
    Tita and Agate! And Campanella!
    Really wish I didn't know about the two 'mystery' characters, though.

If I don't finally get to meet fucking Yun Ka-Fai in this game, I'm going to riot.

edit: Unless Yun Ka-Fai is the Grandmaster. Or Aidios. I would accept not meeting him until the last game if he was either. Or both.

Monger on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well, the game has gone from Vita/PS3 to PS4-only.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on a us release date for cold steel 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Not to the best of my knowledge, no.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Alright, that trailer probably spoiled me on something I had figured was the case already. Because I see someone that totally died in the first game that's around again, unless that was a flashback. I haven't quite finished Cold Steel 2, mainly because I have a LOT of time to finish it before 3 comes here. Cold Steel 3 only hits Japan at the end of this month.

And yet I'm seeing some REALLY strange alliances popping up in that trailer. I know it's a few years after the second game, but things must've shook up something fierce to see some of those folks coming together.

Also, slight spoilers for how the game starts, but...
    Isn't it a little bit weird for Rean to be a military professor a scant year after basically graduating high school? I mean I realize that Rean is super duper JRPG main protagonist special, but if I was Valestein or Neithardt I'd be giving Rean a lot of shit for the special treatment... and hopefully they do.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Also, slight spoilers for how the game starts, but...
    Isn't it a little bit weird for Rean to be a military professor a scant year after basically graduating high school? I mean I realize that Rean is super duper JRPG main protagonist special, but if I was Valestein or Neithardt I'd be giving Rean a lot of shit for the special treatment... and hopefully they do.

Vague general spoilers:
    I'm not sure if it's that much weirder than Sara. At the very least he's got a pretty decent track record going for him from events in the last two games (even if you got your ass kicked in every other boss fight), and he certainly has the connections at this point.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Trails of Cold Steel 1 for PS4 is official. 4k, 60fps, PC Turbo mode, supports importing PS3/Vita saves. Out in Japan March 8th.
    https://gematsu.com/2017/11/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-kai-ps4-launches-march-8-japan#dPx8fYrrXhJjFIVi.99

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    As always, I hope it makes it out of Japan too.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    It has only taken me six months of sporadic play, but I'm finally done with the 3rd. That game is real damn weird and real damn good. For as small of a side story as it seems at first, it's kind of nutty how much is packed into it. It does a better job of setting up Cold Steel than Cold Steel does. It's probably my favorite Trails game so far. Kevin and Ries are definitely my favorite leads. I hope we see more of them down the line. They've got room to grow.

For the first few chapters, I wasn't sure if I liked the format of the sidestory doors, but I really came around on it after a while. The individual narratives end up being super tightly presented short stories, and they overlap in clever ways. It also starts feeling more natural to pop in and out of them once the main story kicks in and there's more to the main game than just monotonous levels of dungeon.

A few more specific things:
    -Jesus, everything to do with Renne. Fuck.
    -That last conversation between Estelle and Renne made such a good point of how much Estelle has changed over the three games.
    -I was kind of confused on reading that Tita was a major character in CS3, but it's perfectly set up in this game. Kind of scary how well.
    -Alan Richard was one of the best parts of FC, so I appreciated him getting a proper character arc in this game after being absent for most of SC.
    -I need to know what Lechter's deal is. I know he's a Crossbell character, and this game is a goddamn tease with regards to him.
    -Also Ein Selnate, and pretty much everything regarding the church.
    -I can only hope that the Calvard arc will be about Kilika's secret service. She would make for a really strong protagonist, although there's no way they end up going that direction.
    -Fuck the fishing sidestory.
    -I kind of want Gilbert to turn up at the end of this whole series super swole and wreck face. I also kind of want him to get murdered unceremoniously within 5 minutes of turning up at the end without having changed at all.
    -I really liked how immediately recognizable Vita's voice was. I don't know if that was more to do with forward thinking in the Japanese script or the English localization of Cold Steel preceding the 3rd. I know one of the others in that scene is a Crossbell character.
    -The Bug of Legend

I've got a pile of other stuff to play through now that I'm finally done with it. And then I guess I'll start my Ys vision quest until someone will give me more Trails.
    Renzo wrote: »
    As always, I hope it makes it out of Japan too.
    It would have to, right? It looks like they're just porting XSeed's PC port, and PS4 releases of CS1 and 2 would be a perfect leadup to CS3's English release.

Monger on
  • Options
    Looks like everything Trails is on sale through Steam right now. Trails FC is $10 Trails SC is $20, 3rd is $22.50, Cold Steel is $30.

• Options
    XSEED had a stream where they showed off the Steam version of Trails of Cold Steel 2. At the same time, the game page released on Steam with an official release date. People won't be waiting long... it's coming out Valentine's Day, less than a month away.

CS2 Intro just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5ooQy9g_U

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Cold Steel 2 just popped on Steam for purchase. Even better, it's 10% off for the next week.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    This is only kind of related to Trails, but Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is on sale on Steam for $36, down from $60.

It's Falcom's action-based take on a Persona game.

• Options
    Trails series lags behind Japan even further.

No localization news whatsoever on chapter III and Falcom already teasing character reveals for chapter IV...

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/02/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iv-gets-details-screens-juna-kurt-altina/

(Ch. 3 spoilers in article)

• Options
    https://gematsu.com/2018/10/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-i-and-ii-for-ps4-coming-west-in-early-2019
    Both The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II were originally released for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, followed by enhanced versions on PC. The PlayStation 4 versions include the enhancements of the PC versions, including 5,000-plus additional voiced English lines, and the bonus of both English and Japanese voice-overs for the first time in the series’ history. The PC versions will also receive Japanese voice-overs via a free update.

I feel like this is the runway for a Cold Steel 3 and 4 announcement. But I'm also blindly optimistic about this series' English-language future in general.

• Options
    https://gematsu.com/2018/10/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-i-and-ii-for-ps4-coming-west-in-early-2019
    Both The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II were originally released for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, followed by enhanced versions on PC. The PlayStation 4 versions include the enhancements of the PC versions, including 5,000-plus additional voiced English lines, and the bonus of both English and Japanese voice-overs for the first time in the series’ history. The PC versions will also receive Japanese voice-overs via a free update.

I feel like this is the runway for a Cold Steel 3 and 4 announcement. But I'm also blindly optimistic about this series' English-language future in general.

About goddamn time we heard ANY news about Cold Steel outside Japan. I assumed it was happening, but that took WAY too long.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

About goddamn time we heard ANY news about Cold Steel outside Japan. I assumed it was happening, but that took WAY too long.

Wouldn't surprise me if they decided to just take some time re-evaluate what they were going to do for localizations going forward after both NIS and Aksys wanked up their respective projects so severely that they basically had to do the whole thing over again.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me if they decided to just take some time re-evaluate what they were going to do for localizations going forward after both NIS and Aksys wanked up their respective projects so severely that they basically had to do the whole thing over again.

There's still no announcement on who's localizing 3 and 4. All we know now is whoever it is, they're probably doing both at once.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/17/nis-america-bringing-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-westward-in-fall-2019/

Oh no... NISA is localizing Cold Steel III. And it will not be getting a PC port.
    A release window has been announced for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III. NIS America has revealed it will bring the RPG to the west in Fall 2019. It will be heading to the PlayStation 4.

In addition, NIS America revealed it will be talking about The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III at PAX South 2019. At 11am CT on January 18, 2019, a JPN → USA : Danganronpa, Touhou, and Beyond panel will be held. It will also be live streamed on Twitch.

Not only will we be lucky if the translation doesn't turn out to be straight garbage like their first crack at Ys(or their localization history for third parties in general), but there's no way the world will get the same care and attention to detail that XSeed put into the previous titles.

Given their announcement tweet starts off with misspelling the hash tag, I'm filled with confidence already.

Edit: since they deleted the tweet

ee9xBWv.png

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Yes, that's NISA, not Xseed.

I know some folks will be unhappy about this, but I'm optimistic. I think it was either this or no more Kiseki outside Japan.

From resetera user Theswweet:
    Preparing this thread in advance, so I apologize as official PR is added as it comes in. I was told in advance along with a few pieces of info, during a visit to NISA HQ on Tuesday.

Localization: "a [big part of our panel] will be about who's returning - specifically, who we've recruited to help us contextualize, translate, and localize the title" NISA bringing on talent with experience on the series, naming names during their panel on Friday.

Crossbell: "part of a longer discussion" with Falcom.

Platforms: Only PS4 was mentioned during my visit.

For context, Brittany Avery and Thomas Lipschultz are no longer at Xseed, so they may be involved. As well as Jessica Chavez.

Looking forward to hearing more tomorrow.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Cold Steel 1 and 2 didn't get PC ports until after their console versions. I don't know if I would expect a PC port, but I definitely wouldn't expect an announcement right now no matter who is handling the localization.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hm.

NIS localizations are typically great, but Xseed’s have been outstanding.

Still though if I had to pick someone to do it other than Xseed then NIS would be my first choice by a wide margin.

Like @Renzo said having no PC announcement isn’t out of the ordinary right now. The other games didn’t until much later. Though I certainly hope there will be one. NIS has been good for that lately.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.