As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trails/Kiseki] - Trails through Daybreak, July 5, PS4/5, Switch and PC

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Is it a 16 hour performance?

If not, I'm just going to assume the entire thing is 20 minutes of Alisa's boob shenanigans followed by an hour and a half of Machias and Jusis yodeling at each other while the audience slowly files out in regret.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Is it a 16 hour performance?

If not, I'm just going to assume the entire thing is 20 minutes of Alisa's boob shenanigans followed by an hour and a half of Machias and Jusis yodeling at each other while the audience slowly files out in regret.

...I'd watch it.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    CS2 done!
    So while I've got fewer sheer "I have no idea what's going on here send help oh god" pieces than I did for the first, still quite a few unanswered bits.

-I'm assuming the whole Divergent Laws thing is explained elsewhere in the series? Only thing I really took from it was that it was basically pulling something that shouldn't exist into existence.
    -Thomas is kinda weirding me out a bit, guy seems to know way more than he appears to at first glance. That and his whole personality shift for a bit there towards the end.
    -Sort of strange that they'd go through the trouble of mentioning "Hey, we upgraded the station here so you can switch out Valimar's augments" and then not use him anywhere afterwards. Granted, that's more of a design choice but it just seemed odd to me.

All in all I liked it quite a bit, looking forward to the next one whenever that hits.

• Options
    Mechanical wrote: »
    CS2 done!
    So while I've got fewer sheer "I have no idea what's going on here send help oh god" pieces than I did for the first, still quite a few unanswered bits.

-I'm assuming the whole Divergent Laws thing is explained elsewhere in the series? Only thing I really took from it was that it was basically pulling something that shouldn't exist into existence.
    -Thomas is kinda weirding me out a bit, guy seems to know way more than he appears to at first glance. That and his whole personality shift for a bit there towards the end.
    -Sort of strange that they'd go through the trouble of mentioning "Hey, we upgraded the station here so you can switch out Valimar's augments" and then not use him anywhere afterwards. Granted, that's more of a design choice but it just seemed odd to me.

All in all I liked it quite a bit, looking forward to the next one whenever that hits.
    Divergent Laws are basically just super crazy powerful weapons. Couple people in Trails in the Sky had them as well.
    Thomas' deal is explained in a NG+ sidequest. Suffice to say he's way more important than he seems
    That's just in case you summon him in battle, I guess

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It says it right there on the image, but yeah, there are spoilers for Cold Steel 2 all over that image.

It's pretty great.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They forgot one overarching trope that spans across all of the trails games released to date.

Heroes discuss what they're going to do next, then camera pans off into the distance to show a mystery character who's been spying on them the whole time and arrogantly smirking about it. May or may not include mystery monologue to drive plot.

Also one that happens in all of them but doesn't get legitimately, irritatingly egregious until most of Cold Steel 2.

Non-specific event stuff:
    >Fighting a new boss, probably actually handle them in battle no problem.

>Boss may or may not plot armor out of the battle, if you don't otherwise bring them zero.

>Exit battle, protagonists are panting and talking about how totes tough and impossible the boss was.

Boss: "now let me show you my true power!"

Protagonists: "...!"

>Somebody else comes in and saves the day.

Protagonists: "We would have been goners if you didn't show up, thanks! We clearly still have so much to learn!

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I looked up information on Berseria for a bit before starting to play Cold Steel 2 again. I get the idea that if Tales was ever turn-based, it'd look remarkably like Cold Steel's battle system. Artes, gauges, interrupts, and the Mystic Artes that flash an action shot of the character.

That would never happen in a Tales game, but they're remarkably similar in the style. Just one's more tactical, and one is more fighting game inspired.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Well, the only good thing about getting strep virus is I get more time to play. Act 2 end spoilers...
    Wow, was that supposed to be hard? I mean, I can see it being hard if you only level up the characters you like. But if you played the first game, you should already know they constantly hook you up with characters you can't drop. Unless someone just really dropped the ball on prepping every character, that's a cake walk, S-Crafts aren't even necessary.

Oh, and something those battles did teach me... Rainbow Shot is officially the most adorable S-Craft in the game. But, that's to be expected.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    So I had like five of the bonding events before the finale, and then I had to look up the rest just to know.
    Alisa: Boy, they really have it in for her to be the canon partner, huh? Everything about that bonding event screamed 'THIS IS CANON', including her getting the only kiss.

Sara: Her kiss on the cheek doesn't count, but her's went EXACTLY like I expected it to go. Essentially 'you can totally destroy my hoohaa in a few years if you're still around'.

Alfin: This one was fun if nothing else. Rean goes Friend Zone because he knows the noble family will DESTROY him if he gets close to her, and Alfin's 'I did this to tease Elise but I kinda like it now' was adorable.

Towa: My bae got gypped here, but giving the head-pat back to Rean after doing it spontaneously to other girls including herself was a nice touch.

Emma: I like Emma's character, but I think they're trying to hard to make her act like a fish out of water. Her range of emotions is a little constrained, and I can't tell if that's the character or the VA. It unnerves me a bit though, like someone thinking the only way to be more passionate is to say it louder.

Fie: Nothing wrong with this one. It was cute, if a bit tamer than I was expecting, though you have to figure that her double entendres were intentional.

Millium: Basically what I expected. At least she didn't latch onto him with arms and legs like the first time they reunite.

Laura: This surprised me. I was honestly expecting a 'you gotta beat me to date me' moment, but their talk and her flustering and being terrible at this kind of thing was PERFECT. Makes me wish she was one I reached that point with... still choosing Towa regardless though.

The bromances were about on par too, though Elliot is perpetually adorable.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So I had like five of the bonding events before the finale, and then I had to look up the rest just to know.
    Alisa: Boy, they really have it in for her to be the canon partner, huh? Everything about that bonding event screamed 'THIS IS CANON', including her getting the only kiss.

Sara: Her kiss on the cheek doesn't count, but her's went EXACTLY like I expected it to go. Essentially 'you can totally destroy my hoohaa in a few years if you're still around'.

Alfin: This one was fun if nothing else. Rean goes Friend Zone because he knows the noble family will DESTROY him if he gets close to her, and Alfin's 'I did this to tease Elise but I kinda like it now' was adorable.

Towa: My bae got gypped here, but giving the head-pat back to Rean after doing it spontaneously to other girls including herself was a nice touch.

Emma: I like Emma's character, but I think they're trying to hard to make her act like a fish out of water. Her range of emotions is a little constrained, and I can't tell if that's the character or the VA. It unnerves me a bit though, like someone thinking the only way to be more passionate is to say it louder.

Fie: Nothing wrong with this one. It was cute, if a bit tamer than I was expecting, though you have to figure that her double entendres were intentional.

Millium: Basically what I expected. At least she didn't latch onto him with arms and legs like the first time they reunite.

Laura: This surprised me. I was honestly expecting a 'you gotta beat me to date me' moment, but their talk and her flustering and being terrible at this kind of thing was PERFECT. Makes me wish she was one I reached that point with... still choosing Towa regardless though.

The bromances were about on par too, though Elliot is perpetually adorable.

I feel Alisa was pretty downplayed in this one compared to the first chapter, she's more on par with the rest of the characters this time where they really only stand out when you actually spend time with them. It's a big contrast to the first chapter basically throwing her at you even outside of bonding events. (She's hands down the best Valimar support though and still the best battle support in the game)

All of the characters also have a second specific event that happens after the ending as well if you chose them. Towa's path goes down a particularly emotional direction. (don't look it up, has big ending spoilers in it)

You've still got a while to go too, hilariously enough. Like 10-ish more hours. This game's fuckin' long.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    http://gematsu.com/2016/12/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-ps4-launches-fall-2017-japan

I don't know how much CS3 info is already out there, but:

1. PS4 only. 2017 in Japan.
    2. Two year time skip from the end of CS2. That puts us a year after graduation, with Rean at 20.
    3. We seem to be going back to Crossbell, where Zero and Azure were set.
    4. Screenshots show some new party members. They've got Thors emblems, but different uniform designs than the previous games.
    Altina seems to still be rolling around with us. She has a sweet beret, but not as sweet as Rean's coat.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    PS4 only, wonder how they'll deal 27th save games?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They can probably ask OmegaForce how they do the save transfer thing. As they perfected the Vita/PS3 --> PS4 save transfer so well it's doable both ways from expansion to non-expansion visa/versa.

Or they can just not do a save transfer this time.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    By then Megalith can help fill in any gaps in short order anyway.
    http://gematsu.com/2016/12/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-ps4-launches-fall-2017-japan

2. Two year time skip from the end of CS2. That puts us a year after graduation, with Rean at 20.
    4. Screenshots show some new party members. They've got Thors emblems, but different uniform designs than the previous games.
    Altina seems to still be rolling around with us. She has a sweet beret, but not as sweet as Rean's coat.

Quick speculative thought on 4.
    I'm thinking more of an integrated class at this point after the developments of 2, may have just done away with the old uniforms. Especially after the success of Class 7 and all.

• Options

Yeah, some of the pics I saw made me wonder if they were students or IronBloods in training. Both have some really neat weapons though, with the guy kicking it Arthur Dayne style with two longswords, and the lady wielding what I'm hoping are goddamn Gun-Tonfas! The pictures also seem to hint that, well... you start the game with NONE of Class VII, meaning pretty much everyone you start with is a new playable character.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    They can probably ask OmegaForce how they do the save transfer thing. As they perfected the Vita/PS3 --> PS4 save transfer so well it's doable both ways from expansion to non-expansion visa/versa.

Or they can just not do a save transfer this time.

Though it would be nice for it to know your choice for a lover at the end of 2, even if it's only for an extended scene when you meet again. Besides, I totally want a really uncomfortable moment with the rest of Class VII when they find out he really DID smash Sara after graduation...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/28/legend-heroes-trails-sky-3rd-translation-complete/

Today, Xseed Games offered an update on the progress of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd. In a tweet, it confirmed that the English translation of the Windows PC game is now 100% complete. It went on to note that it is 13.23% edited. As far as editing goes, Xseed Games is “on it like Stregas on Estelle.”

In addition to an update on the game’s progress, Xseed Games shared some pictures of bugs and glitches encountered during The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd localization process.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd will come to Windows PCs in 2017.

• Options
    Yeah, these are the Chinese versions from Joyoland, not associated with Xseed at all. Don't take it as a sign or hint that we're getting these in English.

• Options
    I gathered as much just from looking. But XSeed doesn't have exclusive monopoly on english translations of Trails games(that I'm are of) - anyone who can get a decent translation of them out I'd be fine with.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I gathered as much just from looking. But XSeed doesn't have exclusive monopoly on english translations of Trails games(that I'm are of) - anyone who can get a decent translation of them out I'd be fine with.

I'm curious and nerdy, so I checked, and yeah, their exclusivity agreements with Falcom seem to just cover the specific games they intend to bring over. Of course, they could ink a deal for the Crossbell games any time, but they pay for the privilege, so I doubt they'd do it unless they were prepared to announce that they're all-in. Unlikely to happen until after Trails the 3rd, if it happens at all. Joyoland would also have to pay Falcom for the rights to translate and distribute the games here, though, and as Falcom already has a rather competent partner in this territory, I imagine the entire process of that happening could be difficult.

I'm also super-unsure that I'd want to play the Crossbell games without an XSeed translation. I am in love with their take on characters like Estelle and Father Kevin, and I wouldn't want to see them butchered by a literal translator or even transformed by different writers into people I didn't really recognise.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    What I'm more curious about... is if the VA strike will affect anything done by XSEED in the near future. Cold Steel 3 is already an eternity away, and I'd hate to see it delayed further because they have to wait to get some of the talent that was in the first two games.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The VA union is only striking against specific companies. Marvelous is not one of them. You can see the full lists of actors and games here if you're curious. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I just started playing Trails in the Sky and have to admit, it's a fun game! Looks great on the PC too. Once I switched over to a controller, I was hooked. Still need to figure out how these orbals really work and what the optimal way to play is - similar to materia from FFVII I feel. I've run into some encounters that were incredibly difficult too.

Is the best way to make money to sell unused Sepith? I didn't realize you don't make mira after combat like in most RPGs. Or just use the mira from quests to buy items?

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I just started playing Trails in the Sky and have to admit, it's a fun game! Looks great on the PC too. Once I switched over to a controller, I was hooked. Still need to figure out how these orbals really work and what the optimal way to play is - similar to materia from FFVII I feel. I've run into some encounters that were incredibly difficult too.

Is the best way to make money to sell unused Sepith? I didn't realize you don't make mira after combat like in most RPGs. Or just use the mira from quests to buy items?

I wouldn't sell sepith unless you are REALLY hurting for money, until you've unlocked all the slots for everyone. Also the Bracer Notebook lists out every spell in the game and the combination needed for it so it's definitely worth checking out.

There is a money trick you can do starting in chapter two if you're interested. It involves making a certain recipe and selling it back for more than its ingredients.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The surest and probably intended way to make money is to do sidequests. They also reward nice gems that usually aren't available for synthesis until later in the game.

The sidequests also tend to have fun little stories.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Thanks! I will avoid selling sepith :)

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Looks like Trails of Cold Steel is on sale. :)

• Options
    More details for CS3.
    Another Vander, huh?

• Options
    I'll probably grab it, but I gotta say given that I think CS2 has been the most formulaic entry in any trails series so far I'm not excessively excited for it. I'm hoping they shake things up a little more than just driving the "anime" up to 11 again.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

If you purchased Trails SC on Humble or GOG and opted for the DRM-free, non-Steam Versions, XSEED needs your help!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    - Trails in the Sky 3rd on May 3
    - Trails of Cold Steel coming to PC this Summer (w/ 5000 more voiced lines (will not be added to PS3/Vita versions))
    - Cold Steel 2 PC at a later date

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Did they say Cold Steel was a straight port, or is it getting some upgrades like AA and FPS improvements? I'll almost certainly buy it anyway because I really like the Cold Steel games and want to support them, but I am curious.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Did they say Cold Steel was a straight port, or is it getting some upgrades like AA and FPS improvements? I'll almost certainly buy it anyway because I really like the Cold Steel games and want to support them, but I am curious.

Hatsuu on Twitter mentioned targeting 60fps, so I imagine they're going to go for some optimization/display options.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    They're adding a shit ton of voice acting. I remember reading that the PS3 release was hard-coded as to which pieces of dialogue had voicing attached, so XSEED couldn't add voicing where there wasn't already any in the Japanese release. Some voiced lines also had hard-coded lengths that had to be matched, as well. Presumably, now that they're porting it and can make deeper changes, they've gone ahead and removed that limitation. I assume they've at least got the critical path fully voiced now, instead of voicing randomly switching on and off mid-scene, or having everybody voiced except the friggin protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46daHheewJM

Super stoked about this. A series with this kind of deep continuity really needs platform consistency. Could potentially also mean a PC port of CS3 at some point.

Monger on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's pretty goddamn ludicrous. I mean, most instances you have a JRPG coming to the West, the English dialogue is restricted. This is the first time I think I've ever heard of a company not only matching the amount of voice work in a game between regions, but trying to add MORE than the original version as it's ported. It really is astounding the amount of care XSEED wants to put in at least this property, if not whatever else they work on.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/436670/

Trails in the Sky 3rd chapter launches in 6 days!

Also, they're making some fairly extensive translation changes for consistency, and patching the previous chapters to match.

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/159288714430/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-series-localization

I won't quote it because it's like a billion paragraphs but they itemize out each change and why.

• Options
    Trails in the Sky The 3rd tomorrow!