As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trails/Kiseki] - Trails through Daybreak, July 5, PS4/5, Switch and PC

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I do like how the main characters tend to get better and better outfits in their sequels. Estelle, Joshua, Rean and Co., and the Crossbell team all get outfit upgrades in their second and third games (and fourth-ish), where applicable.

Renzo on
  • Options
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Nah, little optional stuff doesn't really bother me. And pita weapon sidequests are something I've dealt with before (Brionac).

Initial impressions: I like Estelle. She's good people. I wonder what Joshua's deal is. And this magic system is good stuff. Kinda reminds me of FF 6 in a way. Where magic is really interchangeable.

Estelle is the best, and if you play through both Trails games she gets one of the most realistic and touching character growth arcs in gaming.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Estelle is so good.

FC and SC spoilers
    Didn't like the romance angle, but everything else about her is just amazing.

"May I remind you that I carry a very big stick?"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I've apparently found myself on a Trails Vision Quest over the past couple of years. I don't know how it happened*. I can't explain any part of it**. By all conventional logic, this series could not be farther from my niche, but it has managed to consume me. Weaseled its way in there and pumped the fantasy regional politics right in my veins.

I finished Cold Steel 1 last week, and the end of that game fucked my shit up. I had previously thought that the end of FC would be the most savage cliffhanger I would ever see in a video game (even considering the way that Half-Life died), and then all of that happened.
    Turns out they throw out intentionally predictable plot twists for the better part of a hundred hours and use Millium, Emma, Sharon, and Vita's two identities as red herrings and unreliable information sources in order to divert attention away from Crow and Vita's friggin third identity. It just about turned my brain upside down when I realized how thoroughly they'd sucker punched me. They goddamn shift genres in the last hour. They may or may not have gotten ballsy and killed off Anton's friend. Shit got raw dog real.

Surprising restraint in not overtly forcing Rean into a relationship with Alisa by the end, though. I appreciate that. Because she is awful. And when the time comes, as it undoubtedly will, I will fight it tooth and nail.

I need, among other things, to know what the fuck happened in those Crossbell games. Just. Right in the veins.
    Nah, little optional stuff doesn't really bother me. And pita weapon sidequests are something I've dealt with before (Brionac).

Initial impressions: I like Estelle. She's good people. I wonder what Joshua's deal is. And this magic system is good stuff. Kinda reminds me of FF 6 in a way. Where magic is really interchangeable.

Estelle is the best, and if you play through both Trails games she gets one of the most realistic and touching character growth arcs in gaming.
    There are a whole lot of things that I like about Estelle's character arc, but my favorite is that they use multiple choice questions in a bunch of places early on in order to have her lean on you, the player, when she has to make decisions. Then they subtly stop doing it as she gets more confident in herself over the course of the story.

*I know how it happened.
    **This is still true.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Monger wrote: »
    So I've apparently found myself on a Trails Vision Quest over the past couple of years. I don't know how it happened*. I can't explain any part of it**. By all conventional logic, this series could not be farther from my niche, but it has managed to consume me. Weaseled its way in there and pumped the fantasy regional politics right in my veins.

I finished Cold Steel 1 last week, and the end of that game fucked my shit up. I had previously thought that the end of FC would be the most savage cliffhanger I would ever see in a video game (even considering the way that Half-Life died), and then all of that happened.
    Turns out they throw out intentionally predictable plot twists for the better part of a hundred hours and use Millium, Emma, Sharon, and Vita's two identities as red herrings and unreliable information sources in order to divert attention away from Crow and Vita's friggin third identity. It just about turned my brain upside down when I realized how thoroughly they'd sucker punched me. They goddamn shift genres in the last hour. They may or may not have gotten ballsy and killed off Anton's friend. Shit got raw dog real.

Surprising restraint in not overtly forcing Rean into a relationship with Alisa by the end, though. I appreciate that. Because she is awful. And when the time comes, as it undoubtedly will, I will fight it tooth and nail.

I need, among other things, to know what the fuck happened in those Crossbell games. Just. Right in the veins.

I guarantee it's the extreme level of world building that got you invested, you now know too much to just let it go.

Also yes Alisa is pretty bad, but everyone knows Fie is best anyway so it doesn't matter. :P

Trails in the Sky third chapter is coming to Steam..............eventually. So you'll have that to look forward to. It's a bit of a story connector between Sky and Cold Steel. It's intensely unlikely we'll ever see the Crossbell games unfortunately, but it really depends - if XSeed was able to be harassed into localizing chapter three despite the rough waters surrounding SC, maybe they can be harassed into working on the Crossbell games.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I just replayed the last hour or two of Cold Steel 1 last night to prep for Cold Steel 2. Just...so good. Thankfully I only beat it about 5 months ago, so I haven't had to wait too long.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Also yes Alisa is pretty bad, but everyone knows Fie is best anyway so it doesn't matter. :P
    I am not having any conversations about who is and is not best girl.
    Because it's not a conversation.
    It's Laura.
    Fie is side best girl.
    Renzo wrote: »
    I just replayed the last hour or two of Cold Steel 1 last night to prep for Cold Steel 2. Just...so good. Thankfully I only beat it about 5 months ago, so I haven't had to wait too long.
    I considered myself lucky to have jumped into Trails in the Sky about 9 months before SC came out. I can't imagine what it was like for anyone that played that game on the PSP at release and had to deal with the nightmare that was SC's localization.

• Options
    I purposely tried to undersell the games in the OP, even though I made a thread, so I must think highly of them. But @Monger put it well, these games' stories will mess you up good.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I will say this about Cold Steel at the very least. It's good that the game draws you in with story and character development. The rest of the gameplay from the combat to the orbments are pretty mundane, and the dungeons are pretty lazy even for a Vita game until the very end.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    That's too bad. I really like the combat and putting together Quartz builds in CS1. It's also fun in Sky FC and Sky SC, even though the Quartz system is a little abstracted compared to the CS1 iteration.

• Options
    I still find it funny that most of the end game of Cold Steel could have been avoided if only
    Emma had turned on a dang radio once in six months.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    That's too bad. I really like the combat and putting together Quartz builds in CS1. It's also fun in Sky FC and Sky SC, even though the Quartz system is a little abstracted compared to the CS1 iteration.

Not saying it's bad, just saying it's safe. It uses materia and limit breakers from FF7, combos and all-out attacks from Persona, and the dungeons aren't overly long or complicated until the end. It's not trying anything new basically, so it won't really surprise veteran JRPG players much.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I've had FC on my steam wishlist since basically forever it feels like. I got it on a whim as a birthday present to myself. Mostly just wanted a good older style JRPG and ask the ones I could think of I had already played.

Playing this is sort of a happy accident is what I'm trying to say.

Played a bit more last night, not much. Got the farm job done. Without to much spoilers, is it safe it dump upgrades into Josh? My jrpg senses are tingling and this sepith stuff isn't easy to get.

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I've had FC on my steam wishlist since basically forever it feels like. I got it on a whim as a birthday present to myself. Mostly just wanted a good older style JRPG and ask the ones I could think of I had already played.

Played a bit more last night, not much. Got the farm job done. Without to much spoilers, is it safe it dump upgrades into Josh? My jrpg senses are tingling and this sepith stuff isn't easy to get.

Yes. And sepith will be more plentiful as you go along. Orbment slot upgrades will be affordable.

Renzo on
  • Options

Yes. And sepith will be more plentiful as you go along. Orbment slot upgrades will be affordable.

Oh good. I like Josh. He dual wields. That means hes cool. LOGIC!

• Options
    Cold Steel 2 has one of the most adorable things I've ever seen in a video game.

(Image from the website)
    Towa in a captain hat.

I6kyoQA.jpg

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

Not saying it's bad, just saying it's safe. It uses materia and limit breakers from FF7, combos and all-out attacks from Persona, and the dungeons aren't overly long or complicated until the end. It's not trying anything new basically, so it won't really surprise veteran JRPG players much.
    I was pretty irritated that they changed the quartz system to something more straightforward. I understand why they did it, but puzzling out ideal lines in Sky was super rewarding. Cold Steel just has materia without linking. It's still a fair amount of freedom, but it's not the good stuff.

I still like the combat system, though. They kind of flubbed the balance between arts and crafts this time around, and moving away from a grid system made it a lot harder to manipulate enemy positions, but links are fun and battles go by really quickly.

• Options
    The trick to making arts really good is to use the Pandora Master Quartz, a bunch of cast time reduce quartz, a Mirage Art delay quartz, and then spam Luminous Ray for about 6000 damage a pop.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2016

I was pretty irritated that they changed the quartz system to something more straightforward. I understand why they did it, but puzzling out ideal lines in Sky was super rewarding. Cold Steel just has materia without linking. It's still a fair amount of freedom, but it's not the good stuff.

I still like the combat system, though. They kind of flubbed the balance between arts and crafts this time around, and moving away from a grid system made it a lot harder to manipulate enemy positions, but links are fun and battles go by really quickly.

At least they're coming up with storyline excuses for it, i.e. tangible progression of orbment technology between games. For example Trails FC had a pretty rudimentary orbment system compared to SC, which they figured out how to do even more with the orbments than before. Fast forward a few in-universe years into the future and hey we've developed orbments so advanced that we don't even need to color coordinate. While it's obviously also an excuse to move to a more generic materia system, at least it's kept in a somewhat interesting context within the lore of the game world.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's nice how they couch a bunch of the systems in the fiction of the world. Even the S-Crafts are story-gated.

The Sky series Orbments are just called Orbments, right? Then the Zero/Azure games use ENIGMA, and Cold Steel has Arcus.

• Options
    If there is one thing that Trails is good at, it's going out of its way to provide reasonable explanations for things that don't really need reasonable explanations.

• Options

See, this explains a lot to me. I really was expecting the quartz system to evolve at some point during the game, and it never did, and it puzzled me. The ARCUS shows that some quartz are linked and some aren't... why? Well, that's apparently a mechanic that was in previous games that didn't happen in Cold Steel, so apparently the links were there as... purely a callback to the older games?

I mean that's nice, but it got me jazzed for a mechanic that NEVER happened.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016

See, this explains a lot to me. I really was expecting the quartz system to evolve at some point during the game, and it never did, and it puzzled me. The ARCUS shows that some quartz are linked and some aren't... why? Well, that's apparently a mechanic that was in previous games that didn't happen in Cold Steel, so apparently the links were there as... purely a callback to the older games?

The lines determine how much EP a character will have. The further into a line the slot is, the more EP it gives when you unlock it. Also you can only have one status effect quartz in each line.

edit: unless you knew that and are talking about something else when you say linked?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2016
    What's interesting is that this makes characters with several isolated branches more powerful than characters with a single line, which is the opposite of how it was in Trails. It's pretty funny just completely hobbling a boss for an entire fight because every time you attacked, at least one status effect landed on it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Blackjack wrote: »

The lines determine how much EP a character will have. The further into a line the slot is, the more EP it gives when you unlock it. Also you can only have one status effect quartz in each line.

edit: unless you knew that and are talking about something else when you say linked?

Not really, but those were things I never really learned about in regards to the ARCUS unit. This game kinda feels like I need to do homework to get the most out of it. I'm not sure how I feel about that... I don't dislike the game, but the Trails series as a whole is a little too fragmented and niche to go full Marvel Cinematic Universe with it, especially if we're not getting all the games. Even Falcom understood after 7 Ys games to, you know... maybe just remake the games and get them more popular rather than stretch an ongoing niche series.

And you know... it doesn't help if every Trails game is 120 hours like Cold Steel will be for me. I mean I like to take my time, but that is serious investment.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Is there any info on the file size for Cold Steel 2 by the way? May need to clear some space.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Also you can only have one status effect quartz in each line.
    Ooooooohhhhhhhhhh.

I never actually managed to work out the logic behind status effect stacking. Just that I could sometimes load up and sometimes couldn't so much. Didn't even consider that it could be per line.

I feel dumb now.

Monger on
  • Options
    Finished the prologue. This is going to be a long on isn't it.

Also, literal call to adventure. Fun stuff.

• Options
    Welp. I read through the Ymir vacation. It's... unfortunate that it did not make it into the game. I can see how it happened. That game was already overreaching for its budget, and Ymir would've been a new location and chunk of content the size of Legram. Plus, most of the story reveals are easy to summarize or intuit from existing content. Still. That was kind of a lot of character development for Rean, and some continuation and closure on a couple plot threads that just kind of get dropped otherwise.
    Finished the prologue. This is going to be a long on isn't it.
    There are many ways that I would like to respond to this, but I will content myself with "uh huh."

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    What's interesting is that this makes characters with several isolated branches more powerful than characters with a single line, which is the opposite of how it was in Trails. It's pretty funny just completely hobbling a boss for an entire fight because every time you attacked, at least one status effect landed on it.

Not really; it means physical attacks are better off with multiple short lines since they can stack status effects, while art users are better off with a long line so they get a ton of mp.

• Options

Not really; it means physical attacks are better off with multiple short lines since they can stack status effects, while art users are better off with a long line so they get a ton of mp.

What you said doesn't really contest or change what I said.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ok, I just finished Cold Steel after putting off the last two chapters for half a year, and holy shit. I'm kind of glad I did wait until so close to the sequel's release.
    What a cliffhanger. I did not see most of those twists coming, although in retrospect they were set up nicely.

Also, a WHOLE NEW BATTLE TYPE for the finale!? What the hell?

I was planning to hold off on picking up Cold Steel 2 for a while, what with the new WoW expansion, but now I don't think I can.

Xerink on
    PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options

What you said doesn't really contest or change what I said.

Only if you're working from a presupposition that arts users can never be as powerful.
    Which I don't entirely disagree with...the casting time definitely made me underuse arts.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess Cold Steel II isn't the kind of game you boot up without playing the first one, right? My friend tossed me a copy of the sequel but I have no other experience with the series.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm going to guess Cold Steel II isn't the kind of game you boot up without playing the first one, right? My friend tossed me a copy of the sequel but I have no other experience with the series.

It's basically the second half of the game, yeah. You should at least play Cold Steel I first.

• Options
    Is your friend in the press? CS2 isn't out until the 6th.

Also I'm jealous.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

It's basically the second half of the game, yeah. You should at least play Cold Steel I first.

I figured as much, especially when I read about items and relationships carrying over. It's too bad the first game is still $40, though, even around eBay.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    $40 is a steal for a game this long and good. I'd keep an eye out for a sale when the sequel is released, though, they've done them in the past.

• Options
    On the other hand, Trails in the Sky is half that price on Steam. Now that is real value, my friend. It'll probably be half again next sale. That's 10 diddly-dang dollary-doos. How can you afford not to buy it?

It has creepy sheep and abnormally detailed fictional socioeconomics. Usually not at the same time. But occasionally.