As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Haha wow, I just wanted to be cool and post a pirate thing

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Using ghost posts to pass secret messages to living players would be kinda against the spirit of ghost posts/the rules anyway

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Unless the secret message is "Hi Obi"

Anyhow, my main feedback for this game has to be that starting with 5 attack sort of sucked.
    I couldn't engage with the drinking or pirating at all and didn't have any chance of grabbing some of the great items. Because I was a slave to attacking.

Would've preferred to start as a villager (and would've attacked the network post Obi if I had been so) or just a mafia that could pose as a villager.
    Can see how that would have messed up the kill ratio though.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    discrider wrote: »
    Anyhow, my main feedback for this game has to be that starting with 5 attack sort of sucked.
    I couldn't engage with the drinking or pirating at all and didn't have any chance of grabbing some of the great items. Because I was a slave to attacking.

Would've preferred to start as a villager (and would've attacked the network post Obi if I had been so) or just a mafia that could pose as a villager.

Yeah, it was slightly weird that the anticipated mafia behavior was clearly "go on a killing-spree," in a game where we could do all the same things the village could, except repair. I really was the only one with any incentive to take those actions apart from hoping you'd get something cool.

I did however enjoy the process of going from this:
    cultist_zpsxlxhl4jd.jpg

To this:
    updatedchaplain_zps9y8a28tc.jpg

If I HAD been able to dodge the vote, you guys would've gotten to watch me use the Cleansing Power Of Nuclear Fire on someone else the second night and I think it'd have given us enough kills and leftover Cultists to win this.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Gizzy wrote: »
    I think this was one game where just based on the thread conversation and votes I did a really good job of picking out who the Mafia were (which I told folks in PMs). I had discrider, aura, WAcriminal, and chamberlain - the only one I was wrong about was MrT

I even wrote Obi a paragraph before I died about why I thought corvidae was village

Interested to know what tipped you off.
    Was trying to be more inactive, but I also had no idea how to handle the random PM you sent me at the beginning of the game asking to team up on account of never really doing that in any normalish game.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yeah, it was slightly weird that the anticipated mafia behavior was clearly "go on a killing-spree," in a game where we could do all the same things the village could, except repair. I really was the only one with any incentive to take those actions apart from hoping you'd get something cool.

cultist_zpsxlxhl4jd.jpg

To this:

If I HAD been able to dodge the vote, you guys would've gotten to watch me use the Cleansing Power Of Nuclear Fire on someone else the second night and I think it'd have given us enough kills and leftover Cultists to win this.

yeah, that's how close this game was. Literally the only reason I caught you was because of that post on the dead boards about someone trying to work an angle on me.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »

cultist_zpsxlxhl4jd.jpg

To this:

yeah, that's how close this game was. Literally the only reason I caught you was because of that post on the dead boards about someone trying to work an angle on me.

... I am both flattered and a little annoyed that it made you sure I was up to something when you read that.

Also, seriously, can I be mafia and not something that encourages me to try to infiltrate the village network some time?

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

I think this was one game where just based on the thread conversation and votes I did a really good job of picking out who the Mafia were (which I told folks in PMs). I had discrider, aura, WAcriminal, and chamberlain - the only one I was wrong about was MrT

I even wrote Obi a paragraph before I died about why I thought corvidae was village

Was trying to be more inactive, but I also had no idea how to handle the random PM you sent me at the beginning of the game asking to team up on account of never really doing that in any normalish game.

That was what tipped me off - the silence on your end. I remember recently you mentioned that no one ever softnetworks with you and it makes the game less fun. So I thought I'd offer to work together and we could team up attacking folks and sussing out Mafia. I didn't go wide open with info about myself to you but I was pretty open at first about my actions and the results. Then you didn't reciprocate, then you went radio silent on me. So I became suspicious.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Special 2 games in a row, dead day 3 two games in a row.

Oh Phalla.

Thanks for running @Burnage.

Assuran on
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Oh @Burnage
    The poor slave
    Was there supposed to be any effect from 'freeing' him or did i just toss my protection away for nothing

cultist_zpsxlxhl4jd.jpg

To this:

... I am both flattered and a little annoyed that it made you sure I was up to something when you read that.

Also, seriously, can I be mafia and not something that encourages me to try to infiltrate the village network some time?

Well I mean it narrowed it down to one of 4 players: Jpants, Austin, Ebum, and you. The other three were clearly village, so it kind of stranded you. I did doubt Ebum a bit, but I decided to test you first.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this , Burnage . I had fun ; I think you have an uncanny ability to make mechanics that would normally be frustrating to somehow be fun. Bit of a backwards compliment . But meant as a compliment :)

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Oh @Burnage
    The poor slave
    Was there supposed to be any effect from 'freeing' him or did i just toss my protection away for nothing

No, that was just me being a dick. The night you "freed" him I'd just add a bit in the narration about you murdering him casually - you wouldn't get any benefit out of it.

For the majority of you who didn't find one while raiding, slaves blocked one assault or attack against you.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    And if you drank while having one, there was a chance you killed him via drinking game, but picked up a pirate bodyguard impressed with your drinking ability.

......what, so I drank almost the entire game. I was being a pirate.

AustinP0027 on
    And if you drank while having one, there was a chance you killed him via drinking game, but picked up a pirate bodyguard impressed with your drinking ability.

......what, so I drank almost the entire game. I was being a pirate.

I think that just makes you a drunk?

Eh, tomato, tomahto

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The drinking stories were one of my favourite parts of the game, as a host. Cythraul kept blacking out and waking up with tattoos in new and strange places, Austin acccidentally burned the pub down...

I'll definitely try to add similar mechanics to any future games I run - something to give a little bit of benefit while also adding a personal narrative.

Burnage on

That was what tipped me off - the silence on your end. I remember recently you mentioned that no one ever softnetworks with you and it makes the game less fun. So I thought I'd offer to work together and we could team up attacking folks and sussing out Mafia. I didn't go wide open with info about myself to you but I was pretty open at first about my actions and the results. Then you didn't reciprocate, then you went radio silent on me. So I became suspicious.

Yeah, so what this means I was both flattered and confused.
    I had no idea what to do and I don't think that was particularly mafia of me. Just me being caught in my own inadequacies as a player :P

Like if I'd suddenly been better at being a buddy, that would've been more suspect as the other mafia would've been coaching me.

Disc, you're now on my list to reach out to every game.

It generally blows up in my face as people keep ending up Mafia but I keep putting on my trusting hat and doing it anyways

Burnage wrote: »
    The drinking stories were one of my favourite parts of the game, as a host. Cythraul kept blacking out and waking up with tattoos in new and strange places, Austin acccidentally burned the pub down...

I'll definitely try to add similar mechanics to any future games I run - something to give a little bit of benefit while also adding a personal narrative.

This makes me even happier because it looks like my mason and I both chose to drink frequently.

Great minds!

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I do think it's kind of funny that it feels like in at least half the games where I'm Mafia, Discrider is too.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    First of all, thank you @Burnage for running, this was delightfully chaotic.

I was super happy I snagged my super bad ass Soul Edge sword after losing my first night to a bachelor party (A whole different level of piracy, to be sure) and even better that I nailed a mafia with it. I thought that I had the rest of the mafia pegged after a day of info, but I was paranoid and not sure who to dump the info to once the hammer started to fall. Then I thought, I had enough guards and protection I should be fine, if anyone was trying to put one over I should have at least 1 person who would keep me safe.

I wasn't counting on dying horror movie style.

Worse, my shots had been off and I got more villagers killed. Oh man, I was ticked with myself. Then I got the invite for the dead board. Totally new lease on (un)life. Suddenly my info had new use.

My only regret was not being able to convince the unholy host to stop firing at Obi after 1st or 2nd time.

Very good game, good way to go into PAX and continue planning for the next game idea I've got inspired by this one.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    My only regret was not being able to convince the unholy host to stop firing at Obi after 1st or 2nd time.
    I died 4 times this game.

I'm gonna design a game purely to get someone else to beat that.

I would be very intrigued to see how that works. Then again, I'm working on some funky mechanics that tweak some of our previous conceits as well, so...

Hail Hydra
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Remember the idea I mentioned to you about a Game of Thrones inspired legacy series?

I think it could be of use here.

Alternatively, you could use a Paranoia 6-clone system.

Like, was I different when I was masoned with you forever ago?

WACriminal wrote: »

Remember the idea I mentioned to you about a Game of Thrones inspired legacy series?

Cat Phalla

everyone has 9 lives

I've been sitting on PHALLANOIA notes for forever and I was wondering if 6 lives would be at all acceptable....WELL NOW I KNOW...!

Hail Hydra
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've been designing a phalla where every day everyone dies, so you have to make children with other players to play as next day

liEt3nH.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Cat Phalla

everyone has 9 lives

@Gizzy facing the Sophie's Choice of whether to play or co-host

i've been designing a phalla where every day everyone dies, so you have to make children with other players to play as next day

This is an amazing idea

Wait. There's a crucial distinction to make here.

Make children with other players, or make children with other characters?

edited August 2016
    Because I'll soft-network but I ain't sucking no Phalla, if you know what I mean.

WACriminal on

Part of the sign-up process is to install Tinder

Part of the sign-up process is to install Tinder

...and now you've given me another idea for game mechanics.

edited August 2016
    Like, was I different when I was masoned with you forever ago?

For some reason I thought so, but looking back at our mason PM we barely talked. My excuse for that is it was a vanilla game. I'll be sure to keep bothering you in future games and dump all of my crazy thoughts on you to get the convo flowing next time :p

This game I think I asked 3 different people "why don't we just suicide inactivus" and got three completely different answers of why that was a bad idea but I have a feeling had I talked to you - you would have been like YEAH!

Gizzy on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

sweeet! i'm already ahead of the rest of you!