As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HBO's The Night Of - eight part crime drama, final episode 8/28 [SPOILERS]

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
This is a thread for talking about The Night Of, American crime drama series of eight episodes, adapted from a BBC show Criminal Justice.
From creators Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, The Night Of is an eight-part limited series that delves into the intricate story of a fictitious murder case in New York City. The series follows the police investigation and legal proceedings, all the while examining the criminal justice system and the purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused awaits his trial.

Cast and crew: http://www.hbo.com/the-night-of/cast-and-crew/index.html

No spoiler tags necessary in this thread. PLEASE UNDERSTAND ANY AND ALL EPISODES MAY BE SPOILED BELOW.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    As ridiculous as this show is getting, I did appreciate the contradiction of the inhaler both being presented in court as a symbol of naz not fitting the image of cold blooded killer, and used in prison for naz to be that very thing

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    As ridiculous as this show is getting, I did appreciate the contradiction of the inhaler both being presented in court as a symbol of naz not fitting the image of cold blooded killer, and used in prison to be that very thing

Yeah in some moments the show feels brilliant, in others kind of trashy and cliche. It's interesting to say the least and I like all the actors.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah that sums up my feelings. There are moments of writing and cinematography that reminds me of shows like True Detective... and then it devolves into every bad stereotype of prison (threat of violation in the shower, doing crack, forced homosexual acts veiled in shame, shivs... OK, I have BINGO), and some terrible courtroom procedure.

But the good definitely outweighs the bad, and I am looking forward to the finale.

Out of curiosity, was that a new girl at the cold open of episode 7? Wouldn't that be kind of a big deal in any normal case where someone without any kind of criminal record is locked away?

Among all the other stuff that is being handled strangely in the courtroom, like the pieces of crucial evidence people just keep picking up outside of bags for no fucking reason.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Only saw the first couple episodes of this, but I'm in camp he did it. Lady Raven is camp he didn't do it. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Yeah that sums up my feelings. There are moments of writing and cinematography that reminds me of shows like True Detective... and then it devolves into every bad stereotype of prison (threat of violation in the shower, doing crack, forced homosexual acts veiled in shame, shivs... OK, I have BINGO), and some terrible courtroom procedure.

But the good definitely outweighs the bad, and I am looking forward to the finale.

Out of curiosity, was that a new girl at the cold open of episode 7? Wouldn't that be kind of a big deal in any normal case where someone without any kind of criminal record is locked away?

Among all the other stuff that is being handled strangely in the courtroom, like the pieces of crucial evidence people just keep picking up outside of bags for no fucking reason.

He was being sarcastic that it was the same MO. I mean she was stabbed(?), but he was just noting the lack of anybody giving a damn about a rando chick not living in a brownstone being stabbed in the street.

Unless they're setting up limo driver guy as an actual serial. But I don't think so.

My money would be on stepdad, but he's just too obvious.

I'm definitely assuming Naz didn't do it, his guilt would blunt the impact of the whole show. Plus the inconsistencies it would cause (no blood on his clothes, despite him being dressed IIRC, and such).

I'm still having trouble with the idea that the cops would ignore somebody who stood to get millions of dollars from her death, and who had a history of DV, even with a silver platter case like that. OTOH, it might weaken the case they were making, so I guess it's possible they'd choose to willfully put on blinders to any other theories. It's not like we have seen real world stories where precisely that happens.

• Options
    My issue with the jail bits isn't so much that it's trashy or stereotypical...but it is, for sure...it's that it isn't in keeping with the rest of the show. The portions that take place outside feel very mundane. Even the evil stepfather thread is pretty understated, and the show outside jail makes The Wire look like Miami Vice and Law and Order look like a show that has never existed because real courtrooms are boring.

Then we pick up with Naz and every minute is straight out of Oz.

Doesn't fit.

• Options

Haha that infuriates me. They must have made the decision it looks cooler or something. Let's all handle the murder weapon!

• Options
    I liked the finale overall. Could have been better, but at least tied everything up.

I do love how moustache-twirlingly evil they made the prosecutor though.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I still feel like the show never figured out whether it wanted to be a subversive law show or just a regular law show

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Okay started the final ep

Is the defense going to put duane reade on the stand and ask him questions to basically make him implicate himself as potentially the murderer? Woah duane reade needs a lawyer

• Options
    Also holy shit so much inadmissible stuff being talked about haha

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Okay started the final ep

Is the defense going to put duane reade on the stand and ask him questions to basically make him implicate himself as potentially the murderer? Woah duane reade needs a lawyer

Don't think Duane gives a fuck. Did like his couple of "that's what they say" answers.

And I did get the feeling that after the first episode or two they largely gave up on the realism thing. It just turned into eight hours of Law and Order: Cynical Viewers Unit.

Still liked it.

• Options
    I just want folks to know, that defense attorneys parading a list of potential alternate murderers on the stand to basically ask them to implicate themselves is ludicrous

But obviously more dramatic than bringing in witness a, b, and c to say that stepdad is a golddigger or undertaker is psycho scary.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Wow she's really going to do it? Damn girl get ahold of yourself he's not that cute

Edit: haha "do you ever lie?" is the worst tv lawyer question I've ever heard

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Wow she's really going to do it? Damn girl get ahold of yourself he's not that cute

Edit: haha "do you ever lie?" is the worst tv lawyer question I've ever heard

I tried to suspend disbelief on Chandra's behavior...female prison guards have done worse for inmates. But nothing we saw suggested any reason she'd go that far. A pill or two to help her client get straight for testimony, when he's clearly in withdrawal? Maybe. Straight up drug mule? Come on.

Though honestly no more fantastic than the idea that a detective would keep digging for exculpatory evidence on a case that's days away from a verdict.

• Options
    I'm also trying to get my mind around how the withholding of exculpatory evidence works. Are we assuming the prosecution already handed all the videos in question over, and it's the defense's job to figure out on their own what they mean? Keeping in mind that the credit card info was illegally obtained and thus technically doesn't exist.

Or are we to assume he prosecutor is going for the "it's only unethical if you get caught" mentality?

• Options
    The latter, mcd. She should have turned that information over as soon as she had it, no matter the source. She knows that. She also apprently knew the detective would not tell anyone else (what is the point of his moral crisis if he wont really go all the way to clear naz, show? What is his motivation for staying quiet once he learns the truth? Sigh)

Investigations on both sides were shoddy as heck, too.

• Options
    The latter, mcd. She should have turned that information over as soon as she had it, no matter the source. She knows that. She also apprently knew the detective would not tell anyone else (what is the point of his moral crisis if he wont really go all the way to clear naz, show? What is his motivation for staying quiet once he learns the truth? Sigh)

Investigations on both sides were shoddy as heck, too.

Well, again, the detective got it illegally. So that's motivation. But nothing stopping him from delivering the video excerpt from outside the restaurant, with a post it identifying the guy, to Stone. Let Stone run with it, once he knows it's out there he can probably pin it down.

• Options
    Oh the phone records too. He would have hers legally. So video, phone record, and financial statement. That combined, no need for the credit card info, would be more than enough for the defense to run with.

Stepdad was enough for a hung jury, give them a guy who was with her that night, called her repeatedly, had shady history, and was embezzling her money? That would have been an acquittal.

So yeah, outrageous.

Question I have, I guess, is whether the defense would have already had copies of all that too? If so, is she required to help them connect the dots? Or would their merely having all the same info (cell record, video, bank statement) be enough?

I'm guessing the prosecution only had to turn over what they were using though, which wouldn't have included any of that. So double unethical regardless.

• Options
    No she is not required to help them connect the dots. That's why you hire a defense investigator and scrutinize all the records yourself. but I guess one of the themes was a message about how not everyone gets the best defense.

• Options
    No she is not required to help them connect the dots. That's why you hire a defense investigator and scrutinize all the records yourself. but I guess one of the themes was a message about how not everyone gets the best defense.

Very much so. He had whatever the criminal equivalent of an ambulance chaser is, along with an intern from a "real" firm who has precisely zero resources at her disposal. He was screwed.

As for he police, like Stone said their investigation ended in the ten seconds between finding the knifing and tackling him to the floor. After that zero effort was spent on "find the killer" and all of it was on "build a case against this suspect." Which is why Box finding the evidence at the end was equal parts fairy tale and Scooby Doo ending. At no point was that particular suspect foreshadowed to the audience, at least not that I remember.

And it's my understanding that's fairly realistic. An investigation in that scenario is going to be entirely limited to building a case against the suspect. Let's face it, you have a guy fleeing the scene with a bloody knife on him, 99.9% of the time he's guilty.. You don't waste effort making sure it wasn't really Old Man Wilkins wearing a rubber mask all along.

• Options
    How about the huge old red flag on this suspect - the fact the murder scene is super bloody, and he has not a drop on him. Did he shower? change clothes? did they test the shower? etc etc

Someone didn't catch that one when they reviewed the script.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    What should have been a red flag was the lack of blood on the inhaler. Why is it on the bed squeaky clean? The walls and floor were covered.

• Options
    How about the huge old red flag on this suspect - the fact the murder scene is super bloody, and he has not a drop on him. Did he shower? change clothes? did they test the shower? etc etc

"Battle of Gettysburg" according to the tech on the scene.

Was surprised that the defense didn't bring it up, or at least that we weren't shown that argument. It seems significant.

Gonna be honest though, I have little faith in the police or prosecutors to consider such an inconsistency to be a show stopper. Again, you've got a guy fleeing the scene with a bloody knife. He's almost certainly guilty. In Serial the detective referred to it as "the spine of the case." You can find inconsistencies in any case, but overall there's a clear narrative that makes sense here. Naz as the killer makes sense. Lack of blood on his clothes would be worth a shrug at most.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    What should have been a red flag was the lack of blood on the inhaler. Why is it on the bed squeaky clean? The walls and floor were covered.

It would have been in his pocket while the murder happened. He dropped it later. It can make sense.

Again, in the interview with the detective from Serial (first season) the wide array of inconsistencies in the case against Sayed are brought up. He basically says you ignore those. You make sure the central narrative of the case makes sense, and build the case and evidence accordingly. No blood on the inhaler? Either make it fit (as I do above) or ignore it. If the defense wants to make a thing out of it, that's their job.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Was surprised that the defense didn't bring it up, or at least that we weren't shown that argument. It seems significant.

Gonna be honest though, I have little faith in the police or prosecutors to consider such an inconsistency to be a show stopper. Again, you've got a guy fleeing the scene with a bloody knife. He's almost certainly guilty. In Serial the detective referred to it as "the spine of the case." You can find inconsistencies in any case, but overall there's a clear narrative that makes sense here. Naz as the killer makes sense. Lack of blood on his clothes would be worth a shrug at most.

This is why True Detective Season 1 was so good to me, the characters actually acknowledged this problem of fitting facts to the presupposed narrative and actively fought against it. Because it's a real problem and an actual real detective wouldn't necessarily seize the first obvious option and never look back. If the Night Of was trying to convey this theme they did it hamfistedly at best.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

This is why True Detective Season 1 was so good to me, the characters actually acknowledged this problem of fitting facts to the presupposed narrative and actively fought against it. Because it's a real problem and an actual real detective wouldn't necessarily seize the first obvious option and never look back. If the Night Of was trying to convey this theme they did it hamfistedly at best.

Agree. And I think one issue here is that Box is portrayed as a good detective. Somebody who might seize on a significant enough inconsistency and let it give him pause.

I get the feeling the police looked at the stepdad long enough to exclude him. We just weren't shown that. The others? Meh. I'm trying to remember what keeps Box looking at the case. Was it just the lack of confession? Gut? Maybe it was the lack of blood. I think one key is that IIRC he had enough blood on him (from her hand during the sex) to suggest he hadn't showered, which makes the relative lack of it on his person or clothes a real issue.

I do think that, absent another viable suspect, a detective or prosecutor would still go forward with that case. And a jury would still convict. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Options
    I think this shows problem is that it was just good enough to make me want it to be better.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This show had a great episode 1 then was pretty not good.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    This show had a great episode 1 then was pretty not good.

I got hooked by episode one, rest of the show failed to deliver. I want the show that goes with that premiere.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    The tone and look of the show did enough for me that I enjoyed watching it but I will definitely agree with it being confused as to exactly what it was trying to accomplish. I wonder how much it lost with Gandolfini and I'll admit to thinking about that far too often while watching than was fair to the show.

bad lawyering is something I might catch here and there but personally doesn't bother me nearly as much as the inconsistencies of the prison scenes and how quickly nas changed. But I do see that that's a huge part of the entire point of the thing.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    The tone and look of the show did enough for me that I enjoyed watching it but I will definitely agree with it being confused as to exactly what it was trying to accomplish. I wonder how much it lost with Gandolfini and I'll admit to thinking about that far too often while watching than was fair to the show.

bad lawyering is something I might catch here and there but personally doesn't bother me nearly as much as the inconsistencies of the prison scenes and how quickly nas changed. But I do see that that's a huge part of the entire point of the thing.

on the one hand I like the idea of eight eps and that's it, making a tightly written and executed story

on the other hand, it definitely had the feel of too much happening too quickly to really feel the length of time, and weight of experience, that caused some characters to change dramatically from when we are first introduced to them

Visually it was very well done, most of the acting was great, but the themetic elements fell flat, beyond imparting cynicism about each and every level of the criminal system. I mean, the Wire did that in a way, but it did it so much better. same with True Detective, which had a take on bad men trying to do something good within (and then outside of) a bad system.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    There were threads I enjoyed throughout the show; kitty was by far my favorite.

I am also happy (wrong emotion but you get it) that they showed the damage the system causes to otherwise good people. Him smoking up at the spot where she and him got high was just heartbreaking, as was the moment where he treated his mom like he learned how to act in prison. That is a wound that will unlikely heal and it is true to form.

But the courtroom stuff itself was weak, and the idiocy of the investigations just did me in.

Like, you can use city cameras to follow people throughout the city? And you waited to do this for a murder victim until the trial was nearly over? The fact that the prosecution and defense treated "The Night Of" as having begun for her when she got into his cab is just ludicrous. And then the prosecution didn't bring the evidence to court in any way whatsoever? Someone was brutally murdered and they didn't look at her financial records for motive?

Gah.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I also really liked John Toturro's character and would love to see him in a better script. What a flawed, human and good-hearted being.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    His arc, or journey I guess, was the one that made the most sense out of all the characters.

• Options
    There were threads I enjoyed throughout the show; kitty was by far my favorite.

I am also happy (wrong emotion but you get it) that they showed the damage the system causes to otherwise good people. Him smoking up at the spot where she and him got high was just heartbreaking, as was the moment where he treated his mom like he learned how to act in prison. That is a wound that will unlikely heal and it is true to form.

But the courtroom stuff itself was weak, and the idiocy of the investigations just did me in.

Like, you can use city cameras to follow people throughout the city? And you waited to do this for a murder victim until the trial was nearly over? The fact that the prosecution and defense treated "The Night Of" as having begun for her when she got into his cab is just ludicrous. And then the prosecution didn't bring the evidence to court in any way whatsoever? Someone was brutally murdered and they didn't look at her financial records for motive?

Gah.

i felt like this was more a reflection of naz seeing right through her lie of always thinking he was innocent, and that his mom will always wonder if maybe he did do it, especially in lieu of an actual "not guilty" decision

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I also think his eczema was cured by proximity to kitty.

Consider this; his eczema went away when he had kitty, came back with a vengeance when he returned kitty...

I think the guy just needs to have kitty in his life forever and take lots of Zyrtec.

SW-4158-3990-6116