As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USA Presidential Election 2016: Straight Outta Breitbart

19596979899101»

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also I can't imagine Mexico would attempt to nullify that treaty because it would just make the Mexican central government look like fools at a time when they need credibility more than ever.

But what if they ARE fools.

Check and mate.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    ideally, minimum wage would allow an adult to support themselves with one job
    by support, I mean afford rent, food, medical bills, and other needs as well as enabling money saving

however, without strict economic rules in place
    greedy folk will jack up their prices because they have an 'excuse' to do so

this ain't the sort of thing that works with half-measures
    Folks don't need an excuse to jack up prices. Any economic entity should be expected to do anything to maximize profits regardless of ethics. Basically, unless there's specifically some reason why a business can't raise prices you should expect them to do so.

The reason is "the store down the street didn't jack up prices and I want to stay in business".

There isn't much evidence that moderate increases in wages drive prices up at all. Seattle is moving to $15/hour and:
    VIGDOR: So far, as of January 1 of this year, the large employers in Seattle are now paying $13 an hour, and the smaller businesses get to pay a little bit less. So far, the impacts seem to be not too great here. We've seen some impacts on prices, but in terms of employment or other sorts of things, not too much.

SHAPIRO: So things are not costing a lot more. Employment is not dramatically dropping. It doesn't look like people are getting laid off because of the wage hike. What about people who were making the minimum wage who are now making more money? Has it had much impact on them?

VIGDOR: Yeah. Our study has involved doing interviews in depth with a number of low-wage workers who are trying to raise families and make ends meet, and they are telling us that the higher wages are making a difference.

NPR

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

HOW IS THIS SO FUCKING CLOSE

Huge amounts of free ad copy given to Trump's often contrary positions with less emphasis on examinations or counters from the Clinton campaign. So he's kind of become the candidate who promises to have answers for everything with less time spent on examining how none of the answers work much less how they have no structure.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    The thing about raising the minimum wage is that in the vast majority of cases it doesn't have the knock-on effect of price increases that people assume it will. Fast food workers having their hourly pay suddenly double will not double the price of a big mac for instance, because wages is only a small part of the cost of running a McDonalds restaurant. The one I worked in for four years paid more on franchise fees than it did wages, the power bill was more than the wage ticket, hell they paid more in taxes than they did in wages. If you'd doubled OUR wages the price of a happy meal would have only gone up a few cents, because the few seconds of labour it takes to make the meal only accounts for a portion of the cost and besides, the markup was something like 600% of the meal total cost anyway. I remember a cheeseburger costing 22 cents to make and serve and retailing for about $2.

A way to make the minimum wage increase easier onnsmall businesses that operate differently and thus cannot afford to basically absorb the labour price increase would be to reduce payroll tax for small companies in that situation.

I think stories like this are important for helping people understand the issue, because most people really don't know about all the factors involved in the final cost of a product.

It'd be really helpful if this kind of information was more readily available. I guess we can only hope that Papa John goes in for another interview and tells everyone that he'll have to raise the price of his pizzas by $0.05 to cover the cost of paying his workers $15 an hour.

steam_sig.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oh I wasn't saying anything as an argument against waging minimum wages, I was just saying businesses will generally charge the maximum possible price they can get away with. (Whether the limiting factor be competition or government regulation or just literally the maximum amount of money a person is physically able to pay.)

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Greta Van Sustern was just fired.

So, heads up on the next person working for Trump.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Increasing the minimum wage generally either doesn't hurt employment much or may even slightly improve it marginally based on most economic research. There are some studies that disagree but most reflect that.

The difference with $15 is is a radical change for most of the country. Even in NY and CA, it represents a 66% increase over 4/5 years (NYC and otherwise) and a 50% increase over six years. Those are radical increases, even for high CoL states. Its an open question whether it will hurt the economies there to have a big swing like that, but there's some reasonable hope that it can be absorbed, which may in tern inflate other wages without kicking off inflation or increasing unemployment to harshly.

The real issue is in places like Mississippi. If you take 10% of wage earners and double their salary, that's not a gentle change. The median hourly wage in Mississippi is $13 dollars an hour. Most jobs would require a substantial increase in wages and there isn't a lot of spare capital in Mississippi to absorb those changes.

This is not true and I've posted articles reflecting this previously. I'll maybe try and dig them up again later, but I've been busy lately so maybe not.

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Greta Van Sustern was just fired.

So, heads up on the next person working for Trump.

she wasn't fired, she left

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If the relationship between Mexico and the US is so bad they reject all existing treaties then that's bad for the US even if the Mexican army isn't storming into Texas.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    538 is 67/33

I wouldn't bet on that in any game much less real life =/

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

THE LIBERAL MEDIA

CLINTON NEWS NETWORK

HARGLEBARGLE

please kill me i've had an aneurysm

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    from what I see, conservative manipulation of the media is a MUCH larger problem than "liberal bias."

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    It's not really partisan media - they're in it solely for the profit
    and depicting this as a close race is good for viewership

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    from what I see, conservative manipulation of the media is a MUCH larger problem than "liberal bias."

I'll take "Nothing New" for $500 Alex.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Hey guys what's goin on in here, oh Trump's ahead in some polls?

Fucking burn it all down!

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Fucking Bern it all down!

FTFY

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Fucking Bern it all down!

FTFY

That won't help anyone

This discussion has been closed.