Options

A Tent with Paul Hollywood in it. [GBBO]

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    HAs anyone else seen Nadiyas show?? I watched it after, holyshit I didnt expect to like it so much but she is SO CHARMING and I am completely delighted and intrigued.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    The PBS website has something like the latest 5 episodes at a time, but other than that I think the U.S. is out of luck. It is on a delay from when the UK gets it, I think.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    HAs anyone else seen Nadiyas show?? I watched it after, holyshit I didnt expect to like it so much but she is SO CHARMING and I am completely delighted and intrigued.

Yeah I stuck around to watch it because I thought it'd be vaguely interesting and have a few nice looking foods in it, but the actual show was really great and far more engaging than I'd expected. (I'm not really one for travelogue-style tv). What really did surprise me is how natural a presenter she is, which is amazing considering how nervous she was when she first appeared on the show.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Fucking starting off with "ill eat some carpet"

BUT WHERE IS SUE

• Options
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    She is present in V/O form at least.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    my god you wait ages for some innuendo and then it all comes along at once

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    "Shall I put my hands on your bag or my body" I cackled like a witch.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I had a power cut this evening and I missed it! Thank goodness for iplayer. I hope after this week I still find Andrew adorable. I might have to bake something tomorrow.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Well this is just lovely news.

Wait no, the other type of news :( No word yet on the destination but it seems like both the money wasn't there and also there was a disagreement about "development of the brand" according to a report on the tv just now.

Just, no Sky of all things please

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    SHAME.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Well, there is a small silver lining in that Channel 4 have picked them up and not something more Murdochy
    The BBC has lost the contract to broadcast The Great British Bake Off, which will now be shown on Channel 4.

It has signed a three-year deal with Love Productions, which makes the hit show, currently shown on BBC One.

The first programme, a version of Celebrity Bake Off, will come in 2017.

Love Productions said negotiations with the BBC had been taking place for a year, with a last-ditch meeting on Monday. They signed a deal with Channel 4 the same evening.

The BBC earlier said it hoped Love Productions would change their mind and that Bake Off was a "quintessentially BBC programme".

Channel 4 is understood to have offered more money for the brand following the breakdown in negotiations with the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37344292

Still, it's a real shame :(

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    How good is this front page though?

v3s5g6nq2p5x.jpg

exquisite punning

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    The show is so BBC. Sad.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Besides adverts, I doubt they'll change the format much? Why change what clearly works.

I'm assuming all the presenters/judges work for the production company and will move with the show.

Because if they don't....yeah that's not a good sign

• Options
    There's no confirmation yet about the cast and crew moving over, but yeah there is no reason they wouldn't unless they have some kind of philosophical objection. The terrestrial coverage of F1 did the same thing pretty much and it's turned out fine.

What is interesting is that previous contestants have mentioned that things like the hoo-ha about the SMEG fridges from a couple of years ago perked some people's ears up about how valuable product placement could be, even on a background level like that. Also slightly more concerning that contestants might start to be selected more for a "Journey" or a weepy backstory than they are currently. Hopefully that's just fearmongering but if things go all Xfactor with the contestants then the production company has lost the plot.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    We should give it the benefit of the doubt, I would be very surprised if they fuck about with what is clearly a winning formula.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    MORE FIGHTING

MORE DRAMA

WATCH THE FISTS FLY AND THE TITS COME OUT

GUY FIERI JOINS AS CO-JUDGE AND HE'S BROUGHT A LOT OF COCAINE WITH HIM

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    MORE FIGHTING

MORE DRAMA

WATCH THE FISTS FLY AND THE TITS COME OUT

GUY FIERI JOINS AS CO-JUDGE AND HE'S BROUGHT A LOT OF COCAINE WITH HIM

I would really enjoy that

• Options
    is sandra lee out of rehab? let's put her in too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI

non-kosher marshmallows hidden in the middle of a Hanukkah Cake

delicious

• Options
    In actual baking news I've finished icing this year's Christmas cake, after last year's attempted resurrection of the tradition was such a success.

uqk98q4f1hz3.jpg

December please...hurry

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Why would you make a cake for Christmas in September?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Because it is designed to improve over time due to it being a very heavy fruit cake. Like Christmas puddings are a thing that you buy in...like January, or buy next year's in December and eat the one you bought last year. It's hard sealed in with royal icing which is like concrete, so it can't really go off.

Basically fruit+booze=gets better if you leave it in a cupboard for a few months at least.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Because it is designed to improve over time due to it being a very heavy fruit cake. Like Christmas puddings are a thing that you buy in...like January, or buy next year's in December and eat the one you bought last year. It's hard sealed in with royal icing which is like concrete, so it can't really go off.

Basically fruit+booze=gets better if you leave it in a cupboard for a few months at least.

Ah, I see. Neat.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Ah, I see. Neat.

It's also a fun thing in a sense of hey it's Autumn hurrah!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Ah, I see. Neat.

It's also a fun thing in a sense of hey it's Autumn hurrah!

Oh I totally get that aspect of it, for sure, just was a bit confused about the timing. I'm not really familiar with long-term baking as a concept.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Well, shit.

C4 have a lot stacked against them now. I'm not going to totally write it off, but that's a core part of the experience gone.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    boooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Yeah, no point to it now, is there?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I feel I should take responsibility for killing the show by finally making a thread for it.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Well, shit.

C4 have a lot stacked against them now. I'm not going to totally write it off, but that's a core part of the experience gone.

Oh well that's pretty much fucked it.

Also the BBC must be loving this now

• Options
    Not happy.

• Options
    i don't understand how the bbc let this get away from them in the first place

it's their most popular show and it doesn't actually cost a whole lot to produce

• Options
    edited September 2016
    It's because they are facing a significant budget cutback due to having to shoulder the burden of Free TV licenses for the over 75s (it's a long standing Government policy but they don't want to pay for it any more and rather than take them away they "forced" the BBC to take it on) The way the BBC is funded is very unique and unlike anything in the states, it's a combination of taxes and grants and they are very limited in what they can spend on things compared to an independent broadcaster. They also can't legally do things like product placement which would be huge for this show.

Currently the BBC pays £5million to the production company for the rights. It's arguably worth much more than that, fine, so the BBC decided they could afford to go up to £15million, but no higher, in sweeps Channel 4 and puts £25million on the table. There are some reports floating around that Mel and Sue refused to even discuss what Channel 4 would pay them and just won't change channels on principle, which is admirable and now I have to imagine that there are some worried looks over at Channel 4 now that they appear to have paid £25million for a Name and a Tent. (And probably Paul Hollywood because he'll go for the cheque I reckon)

It does seem like they let it get away from them but they just don't have the deep pockets of other channels and they can't plough the money from overseas sales back into programme making easily because of an awkward division in the company that prevents it because they can't be a "for profit" broadcaster.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I fully respect Mel and Sue for sticking to their guns and not jumping ship from the BBC

I was betting on the judges bailing as they're more famous.

So fuck knows what happens now, I'm already way off the mark

Karl on
  • Options
    okay guys

this means we have to appreciate the shit out of this season

• Options
    It's because they are facing a significant budget cutback due to having to shoulder the burden of Free TV licenses for the over 75s (it's a long standing Government policy but they don't want to pay for it any more and rather than take them away they "forced" the BBC to take it on) The way the BBC is funded is very unique and unlike anything in the states, it's a combination of taxes and grants and they are very limited in what they can spend on things compared to an independent broadcaster. They also can't legally do things like product placement which would be huge for this show.

Currently the BBC pays £5million to the production company for the rights. It's arguably worth much more than that, fine, so the BBC decided they could afford to go up to £15million, but no higher, in sweeps Channel 4 and puts £25million on the table. There are some reports floating around that Mel and Sue refused to even discuss what Channel 4 would pay them and just won't change channels on principle, which is admirable and now I have to imagine that there are some worried looks over at Channel 4 now that they appear to have paid £25million for a Name and a Tent. (And probably Paul Hollywood because he'll go for the cheque I reckon)

It does seem like they let it get away from them but they just don't have the deep pockets of other channels and they can't plough the money from overseas sales back into programme making easily because of an awkward division in the company that prevents it because they can't be a "for profit" broadcaster.

Surely they can raise the funds by giving away tote bags while showing reruns of old American comedies

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Maybe I can convince the top brass that we should steal it over here.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Maybe I can convince the top brass that we should steal it over here.

YAAAAAAASSS