As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    keep watching

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah, uh-huh! I kept watching

This series has been...totally fine, which I don't mean as an insult, necessarily

It's also the first anime series I've watched in earnest? Which is maybe a weird choice on my part

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

This series has been...totally fine, which I don't mean as an insult, necessarily

It's also the first anime series I've watched in earnest? Which is maybe a weird choice on my part

(Waaaaaatch Baccaaaaaaanoooooo)

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Is that also on Netflix and something I could download for work

edited June 2019

Is that also on Netflix and something I could download for work
    Uh

No

But hold on I can find something that would fit that criteria

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    I saw that there was a Gundam series, but I feel like that's the sort of thing where I don't just want to start with a Gundam series, I want to start with the "right" Gundam series

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Baccano has a very good dub.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I saw that there was a Gundam series, but I feel like that's the sort of thing where I don't just want to start with a Gundam series, I want to start with the "right" Gundam series

You need to start with G Gundam.
    It is the one with a horse gundam that's piloted by a horse.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

The Gundam that's on Netflix is basically the Avengers Endgame of Gundam shows.

Oh brilliant
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

The Gundam that's on Netflix is basically the Avengers Endgame of Gundam shows.

which one is that? Unicorn?

BahamutZERO.gif
    @SirEtchwarts waaaatch Fuuuuuullmetaaaaaal Allllcheeeeemiiiiissssst Broooootherrrrhoooooood

CYpGAPn.png
    SirEtchwarts waaaatch Fuuuuuullmetaaaaaal Allllcheeeeemiiiiissssst Broooootherrrrhoooooood

But there's no giant robots in that one!!!

(no it's definitely on the list, I've heard nothing but good things about it)

SirEtchwarts waaaatch Fuuuuuullmetaaaaaal Allllcheeeeemiiiiissssst Broooootherrrrhoooooood

But there's no giant robots in that one!!!

(no it's definitely on the list, I've heard nothing but good things about it)
    It is an excellent First Anime Series if you wanna watch a show

Not too long, really well animated, satifying ending, good dub

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    watch One Punch Man!!!

watch One Punch Man!!!

I don't know. OPM is kind of lacking in both giant monsters and horse piloted mecha.
    Only one of those is relevant to this thread though.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    One Punch Man has quite a few giant monsters, actually

One Punch Man has quite a few giant monsters, actually

There's the Attack on Titan knockoff, but I'm drawing a blank on other giant monsters. I mean, sure there are big monsters, but I don't know that they'd classify as giant in the sense of Kaiju.
    But then, I've only seen the first season. Might be more in the second.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Unicorn is fine if you haven't watched the shows it's a continuation of, but it's definitely better if you have.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait this isn't the anime thread
    but anyway unicorn sort of assume you know what the deal with newtypes is, but other than that it's pretty comprehensible

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Given how dismal the rest of the summer has been for everyone except Disney, I wonder if that recontextualized the box office for KotM enough to make WB more likely to keep producing these movies after Godzilla vs Kong.

I want to see more good monster movies, but also?

The idea of one of these franchises actually ending is weirdly nice

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I think Toho wants to get back to making stuff once Godzilla vs. Kong is out, so I don't think it'll matter either way.

They had that whole taking turns deal with Legendary.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    This article makes it sound like Legendary has the right to keep making Godzilla movies as long as they want; as long as they keep making them. https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/japan-godzilla-toho-expansion-in-hollywood-1203192294/?fbclid=IwAR0IMqqVGuHuCrVnL4P_ruizF9mmF4il_5JxpD9C0u_O_kb2HoJ2_M0zMhA. I'd imagine if Kong v Godzilla is a hit, they'll probably keep making more.

Toho has it's own strategy that includes Godzilla as well. So plenty of Godzilla in the future I'd imagine.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Do you think Toho would make a Shin Godzilla sequel

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    This article makes it sound like Legendary has the right to keep making Godzilla movies as long as they want; as long as they keep making them. https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/japan-godzilla-toho-expansion-in-hollywood-1203192294/?fbclid=IwAR0IMqqVGuHuCrVnL4P_ruizF9mmF4il_5JxpD9C0u_O_kb2HoJ2_M0zMhA. I'd imagine if Kong v Godzilla is a hit, they'll probably keep making more.

Toho has it's own strategy that includes Godzilla as well. So plenty of Godzilla in the future I'd imagine.

I should be so lucky

I’ll take more of everything, please

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2019

It sounds like they want to make a new Godzilla universe rather than sequalize Shin.

As for more Monsterverse movies; I'd suggest they could make a workaround so in years Toho are making Godzilla films, Legendary could be making Kong, or possibly even Mothra movies. (Though whether or not a Mothra movie would even be viable in America these days is anyone's guess.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I think a Shin Godzilla sequel would be like 20 minutes long.
    he wakes up, adapts to the coagulation attack, splits into humanoids and the world is over.

Oh brilliant
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

It sounds like they want to make a new Godzilla universe rather than sequalize Shin.

As for more Monsterverse movies; I'd suggest they could make a workaround so in years Toho are making Godzilla films, Legendary could be making Kong, or possibly even Mothra movies. (Though whether or not a Mothra movie would even be viable in America these days is anyone's guess.)

Yeah, since Toho is invested in the Monsterverse, they have a financial motive to keep them going if they keep making money. So far it seems like Godzilla KotM isn't a flop anymore, taking in around $360 million. But it's also far from the $530 million of Godzilla 2014. If Godzilla v Kong ends up more like 2014 and Skull Island, I doubt Legendary will let it go.

The bigger question then would be whether they want to license more Toho monsters or run with the ones they are creating.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    So far it seems like Godzilla KotM isn't a flop anymore, taking in around $360 million.
    Wiki wrote:
    The film had a production budget of $170–200 million, and an additional $100–150 million were spent on marketing. It is estimated the film will need to gross $550–600 million in order to break-even.
    BoxOffice wrote:
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters carried a reported production budget of $200 million. Whenever you see a number like that, you can expect that the film is going to need to gross somewhere in the $550-600 million range just to break even.

edited June 2019
    That is less "it is a flop" and more "Hollywood accounting is a fucking nightmare"

Like saying the combined budgets are 350 million and so it needed to gross almost double that to break even is fuckin bananas

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2019
    That is less "it is a flop" and more "Hollywood accounting is a fucking nightmare"

Like saying the combined budgets are 350 million and so it needed to gross almost double that to break even is fuckin bananas

It's not combining the budgets, mentioning the marketing is just mentioning the marketing. The break-even point is for making back the production budget

Anyway I only posted it to counter the assumption that it's successful, which is spreading erroneous information. All prior MonsterVerse films cost less to make and made more at the box office (Godzilla 2014 = $529mil, Skull Island = $566mil). This will be lucky to even total $400mil

It's hard to not consider that extremely (if not disastrously) underwhelming by any/every metric, especially with more marketing and more hype behind this one than either previous one, and I don't know why it's not okay to point that out considering they already were well into making the next (and currently planned as final) one before release day

Vs Kong is happening regardless

Sweeney Tom on
    edited June 2019
    It straight up says in your own post the production budget was 170-200 million and the marketing was 100-150 million on top of that

Saying 500-600 million is the break even point with those figures is 100% Hollywood accounting nonsense, that math doesn't work

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, seriously, those numbers add up to $270-$350. Anyone suggesting that they'd have to make back nearly DOUBLE the original and marketing budget to break even is full of crap. Movies with way lower margins have been considered successes, especially in the face of WB being desperate for movies they can franchise. KotM didn't do well, but the idea that it'd have to make $600 million to break even is ludicrous.

Undead Scottsman on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I couldn't say how well the numbers a studio puts out lines up with reality

It is worth keeping in mind that a studio does not get 100% of ticket sale proceeds, especially outside of North America

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I couldn't say how well the numbers a studio puts out lines up with reality

It is worth keeping in mind that a studio does not get 100% of ticket sale proceeds, especially outside of North America
    This is true but Hollywood also has a long, documented history of being straight up criminal with its accounting

The Harry Potter series was reported as a loss for WB, for example

CYpGAPn.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    While it might not have actually lost money, if it doesn't make double the "cost" then the studio will very likely consider it a loss because movies don't just have to do ok, they have to make all the money. Normally this would mean no sequel, but as the current sequel is already in the works... I'd guess they'll keep on trucking.

edited June 2019
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    if it doesn't make double the "cost" then the studio will very likely consider it a loss

Thank you

Sweeney Tom on
    I think what Studios actually consider losses is something we just won't ever really know

They report basically everything as a loss but also make sequels to them because in reality they were successful

For another example, the screenwriter of Men in Black tweeted the statement Sony sends him that they use to say the franchise isn't actually profitable so he doesn't get residuals

Meanwhile they have made 4 of them

What a studio says is a loss and what they actually internally consider a loss appear to be two different things

CYpGAPn.png
    To be clear I agree KotM did not meet WB's expectations, they were hoping it was gonna be a huge smash

But 360 million, maybe 400 before the run fully ends ain't a bad haul

CYpGAPn.png
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    While it might not have actually lost money, if it doesn't make double the "cost" then the studio will very likely consider it a loss because movies don't just have to do ok, they have to make all the money. Normally this would mean no sequel, but as the current sequel is already in the works... I'd guess they'll keep on trucking.

Deoends on what WB's line-up is going to be like. Also depends on if the exec's who signed off on this film can be convinced the poor box office is part of a larger trend, rather than isolated to one or two films.

Home video sales are also going to be a factor.