As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• Worsel96Worsel96 A Castle in the SkyRegistered User regular
    I'd definitely check out Ultraseven if you can. It has a more serious tone than Ultraman and is a lot less kid-oriented and gets pretty dark at times. I wasn't as big a fan of the original Ultraman series either but Ultraseven I love so much I've watched it several times. Maybe it helps that the airings they did on TNT were my first exposure to the Ultras but I think it's pretty awesome. Maybe wait for a sale on the discs but I think you'll enjoy it.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    REPTILICUS 6-5000! doo-da doo dee-da doo dee-da doodoo!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Welp, Godzilla vs Kong is delayed, which might explain why there's still no trailer even though the movie was going to come out in four months.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/godzilla-vs-kong-release-date-pushed-back-to-november-2020-1203416119/

Disappointing, but if it makes for a better film, then I'm all for it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I object to any godzilla that can jump

2x39jD4.jpg
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzSEhndXaA

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaQj_yB6GDQ

dN0T6ur.png
    edited December 2019
    Finished up Ultraman. Little bummed it never broke far from the formula, especially in regards to the fact that Hayata is constantly disappearing/running off/dying right before Ultraman appears, and the only ones who figure it out are bad guys. They kinda play at Ide getting suspicious, but they drop that plot like a hot potato. Overall, it was neat, though I feel like they forgot to film the fight scenes and minatures in slow-mo, so everything looks a little faker than it needs too, but it was a tv show from the 60's so I can cut it some slack. Also this was the first blu-ray I've owned with a blemish I couldn't wipe off, making part of an episode literally unwatchable, which bums me out but oh well.

Ordered a copy of Ultraseven, as well as the obscure Kaiju movie Reigo. Here conveniently renamed "King of the Sea Monsters"

EDIT: Huh, apparently Reigo is japanese. I must have misread a press release.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2020
    g3bohud.jpg

This is actually kinda clever.

Anywho, been slowly working my way through Ultraseven, aside from the contrivances of a super secret alien fighting organization recruiting a random dude off the street (who happens to secretly be an alien), I'm liking it so far. I especially like the music, it's VERY catchy.

Curious if they'll ever explain why he's Ultraseven, unless they just mean he's the secret seventh member of the anti-alien team. (Which is funny because his human identity, Dan, is the sixth member)

There is one episode I need to comment on, because I feel like the writers shrugged their shoulders at the end when it came time to wrapping up the plot
    It's a basic "New guy here, turns out to be controlled by aliens, deflects suspicion onto the hero" plot, but it goes off the rails where, after using his superpowers to see through a wall and see the dude colluding with aliens, our hero just outright attacks him with no proof. And this is after the guy had raised suspcions against Dan. They throw him in a cell, at which point when he's alone he just turns into Ultraseven and rips the cells apart to escape. He then goes on to defeat the monster, the mind controlled guy is freed and they all laugh about it.

But like, how'd Dan explain the fact he tore some iron bars to SHREDS? Ah well. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited February 2020
    I was about to get pretty mad because I bought the first 11 movies off ebay like last week, but I paid about $60, so I guess it worked out.

EDIT: Actually, looking at what that package has, I'm back to being mad. :razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    That is too much money to pay for Gamera

By which I mean it is not them paying me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    NECA revealed thier next two upcoming figures and I just can't anymore.

It's 1989 Gozilla (from Godzilla vs Biolante) and 2003 Godzilla (from Godzilla: Tokyo SOS)

Just to recap they've done the following figures

-2014 Godzilla (in 6" and 12" varients)
    -1994 Godzilla (from Godzilla vs Space Godzilla)
    -1985 Godzilla (from Return of Godzilla)
    -1995 "Burning Godzilla" (from Godzilla vs Destroyah)
    -1954 Godzilla (from the original Gojira)
    -"Classic Videogame Appearence" Godzilla (from the Godzilla NES game)
    -2001 Godzilla (from Giant Monsters All-Out Attack)
    -2016 Shin Godzilla
    -2001 "Atomic Blast" Godzilla
    -1995 "Reactor Glow" Godzilla
    -2016 "Atomic Blast" Shin Godzilla
    -1962 Godzilla (from King Kong vs Godzilla)
    -1956 Movie Poster Godzilla (from the original Godzilla: King of the Monsters)
    -2019 Godzilla (from the newer Godzilla: King of the Monsters)
    -2019 Mothra
    -2019 Rodan
    -2019 Godzilla v2 (Atomic Blast)
    -1964 Godzilla (from Mothra vs Godzilla)
    -2019 Godzilla v3 (Burning Godzilla)
    -2019 Mothra v2 (Poster Version)
    -1989 Godzilla (from Godzilla vs Biollante)
    -2003 Godzilla (from Godzilla: Tokyo SOS)

At this rate they'll make every Godzilla possible long before they do any other monster from before 2019. :(

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Disappointed that the S.H.MonsterArts stuff sells out and then it's done. I really wanted a King Ghidorah 2019 at some point when I had room to put it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Kinda crazy that Godzilla vs Kong was originally going to come out in March and we still don't have a trailer. (Though the pandemic is a good reason why)

Finally got around to watching the 3D version of Godzilla: KotM that I got for Christmas. I know for a lot of movies 3D was pretty gimmicky but man, that was amazing. They did a great job, nothing flying out of the screen or anything, just really good depth.

3rd or 4th time watching the movie and it's just amazing how good the monster parts are and how bad the human parts are. The 3D really brought one of the worst aspects out even more and that's the feeling of weight. The extra depth really sucks you in, but then you get Ghidorah landing 100 feet from some humans and they barely flinch.

I hope for Godzilla vs Kong they get the team that did the monster battle scripting to help but that's it lol. It's so strange to me that we live in this post-Marvel cinematic universe world and studios still can't figure out that what makes them successful is matching the coherent to great storytelling with the action and SFX.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kinda crazy that Godzilla vs Kong was originally going to come out in March and we still don't have a trailer. (Though the pandemic is a good reason why)

What's the general consensus on the director being Wingard? When he's great, he's amazing, but when he's not working with Simon Barrett... yiikes...

wVEsyIc.png
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Since quarantines started I decided to watch through all of the Godzilla movies!

I loved Godzilla movies as a kid. I had a VHS of Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla and would watch it over and over. I also had this book (I wish I still had it) which let me know of so many other movies:
    4tmko0pe8f0b.png

Would force my mom to take me to Blockbuster on Fridays so I could try and find more. Probably watched about 10 different ones as a kid?
    Went to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters last year and, reading the thread, I've seen a lot of you all didn't really care for it. For me? It brought back so many childhood memories and my girlfriend and I loved the movie.

Anyway, yeah, watching all of Godzilla now. Just finished the Heisei era yesterday!
    My top five so far are:
    1. Godzilla
    2. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
    3. The Return of Godzilla
    4. Godzilla vs. Hedorah
    5. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

BreakfastPM on
    Watched King of the monsters for the second time with my family yesterday and still get goosebumps at some parts. I know the parts with the humans were forgettable but I just love seeing the monsters smashing stuff.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Watched King of the monsters for the second time with my family yesterday and still get goosebumps at some parts. I know the parts with the humans were forgettable but I just love seeing the monsters smashing stuff.

I thought they did a better job of making the human characters engaging and consistent than 2014 did. At least KotM kept the same character focus rather than killing the most interesting one halfway into the movie.

wVEsyIc.png
    No thats exactly what king of the monsters did too

2x39jD4.jpg
    No thats exactly what king of the monsters did too

Not at all, the core character is whatsherface from Stranger Things, and that never changes, as opposed to being Walter White VS The Kaiju then, never mind.

wVEsyIc.png
    Thats true, I should have specified the killing off the only interesting characters part

2x39jD4.jpg
    I loved Ken Watanabe scene with Godzilla, but replacing him with Kyle Chandler is a massive downgrade.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Wow. I loved Godzilla 98 as a kid. I remember all the hype for that movie.

Re-watching it? It's so bad. It's not even Godzilla. I'll keep the memories of enjoying it as a kid. But, damn, I wasted two and a half hours yesterday.

At least Godzilla 2000 was decent.

BreakfastPM on
    I think AVGN put it best. It's best enjoyed as a monster movie, and distancing from anything remotely linked to Godzilla. It's just a goofy disaster film.

wVEsyIc.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think the comics did some interesting things with Zilla, and the cartoon series that functioned as a sequel wasn’t that bad.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Zilla works much better as a redesign of the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

This is genuinely beautiful in a way I never would have expected

Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. Have to say I really liked it. Part of it is that I work in government so it's fun to see the dysfunction play out on screen that you see every day. But also I think my favorite Godzilla movies, treat him more as a natural disaster and a puzzle for the humans to figure out. It's why I still love the original and 1984/85 as 2 of my favorites.

I think the only downside was Godzilla itself. Most if it was fine, however the laser stuff felt really out of place. For a movie that was going for a slower more serious tone, to then have him shoot homing lasers from his back was up there with the silliest of Showa era stuff.

So I was a dumass and didn't preorder that Gamera collection and it promptly sold out. Whoops.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. Have to say I really liked it. Part of it is that I work in government so it's fun to see the dysfunction play out on screen that you see every day. But also I think my favorite Godzilla movies, treat him more as a natural disaster and a puzzle for the humans to figure out. It's why I still love the original and 1984/85 as 2 of my favorites.

I think the only downside was Godzilla itself. Most if it was fine, however the laser stuff felt really out of place. For a movie that was going for a slower more serious tone, to then have him shoot homing lasers from his back was up there with the silliest of Showa era stuff.

I liked the light show because I felt it made Godzilla feel more alien. Like obviously whatever that thing is, it is not of this Earth. Or at least not related to any known organism. Plus I thought it looked cool as hell and frankly that is pretty much always welcome in a Godzilla movie.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Long overdue, very proud of the boy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I liked the light show because I felt it made Godzilla feel more alien. Like obviously whatever that thing is, it is not of this Earth. Or at least not related to any known organism. Plus I thought it looked cool as hell and frankly that is pretty much always welcome in a Godzilla movie.

I got lucky and watched it in the theater. At that scene, my girlfriend whispered "hacks!" to me.

New Godzilla anime coming, unrelated to the previous ones (thankfully.)

https://deadline.com/2020/10/godzilla-singular-point-netflix-new-original-anime-series-2021-1234592659/

I also watched the Daimajin trilogy, from the creators of Gamera, and those were neat movies. While they're all kind of samey, (evil warlord attacks innocent village, village's god comes to life to punish the evil doers) despite being unconnected to one another, the move to late feudal japan give them a unique hook over other kaiju films. What I really wanted to mention is the monster design. Majin is a very interesting kaiju. He's a giant stone statue avatar of a god that comes alive, replacing it's stone face with an incredibly menacing green one when he comes alive. The face is a mask for the suit actor, but you can see his eyes through it, while the rest of the face is motionless, locked into an angry grimace. This gives Majin a VERY intimidating look, as his eyes scan and lock on to his next victim, a permanent scowl affixed to his face. It's great every time they do it.