As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    No info yet.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm,

Should I make my way back to the bubble? I'm about 3kly out on my aborted core trip (although distracted with other games at the moment). Or should i keep going to Colonia?

I'm a bit worried I'll make my way to colonia and then find all the new content will be in the bubble and have to work my way back.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm,

Should I make my way back to the bubble? I'm about 3kly out on my aborted core trip (although distracted with other games at the moment). Or should i keep going to Colonia?

I'm a bit worried I'll make my way to colonia and then find all the new content will be in the bubble and have to work my way back.

Well if it helps any, 2.4 (ie: the new content) won't be until Q3 of this year so I'd say you have plenty of time to head out to the colonies, have adventures and make it back to the bubble in time for Thargoids.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    What's the Federal Rank grinding system de jour? Any particular ship I should bring?

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    What's the Federal Rank grinding system de jour? Any particular ship I should bring?

I think data couriering is still the most efficient way (sadly). So you'd look for systems in Boom state at the fringes of the Bubble (so they only have 1 or 2 destinations, which means you can stack data missions to one place, and then stack and come back.)

Sothis/Ceos is still good for this, as is Niu Hsing. If you get bored of that, you can also look for systems with minor Fed factions in Famine or Outbreak states, and help them out. They spawn a lot of donation missions as well, so it's fast to max rank with the minor factions to get access to all the missions.

For data couriering, anything works. Probably want a good jumper like a Diamondback Explorer or Asp Explorer just to get out there. Make sure you bring a cargo rack for the mission rewards (otherwise you can't take them). For Famine/Outbreak, you need cargo space for donations of food and medicine.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Hopefully there are no outposts and I can bring the Anaconda. Thanks for the help!

edited June 2017
    Sothis/Ceos is real good and they are right next door to each other with nothing else around. They're usually in a Boom state. Sothis also has a tourist beacon right in to system as well. Not nearly as conveniently located as Quince, but still nice.

Both systems have a full size station. Sothis also has an outpost, so when making the return trip from Ceos to Sothis just double check the delivery location.

Axen on
    I hit Post Captain last night in Niu Hsing. I like that one a bit better than Sothis, because Niu has 2 federal factions frequently in boom. They also will frequently hand out scanning missions that pay very nicely. That money goes into the donation missions, which triggers the link missions for another nice payday.

One more rank to go. I really want to get that chrome corvette out before the Thargoids get rowdy.

• dylmandylman Registered User regular
    You're nearly there! They slightly nerfed the number of missions required in 2.3, so it's "only" about 320 missions left to go (used to be about 385 for the last rank).

I jumped to Sothis and found it's not in boom, then I jumped to Niu Hsing and discovered it's an outpost. Then I turned the game off.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So still playing solo right now. Primarily ran hauling missions to get enough money for a Cobra MkIII. Then I bought some extras for that and headed to a nav point to kill scan and shoot wanted guys to get some combat experience. Man I suck :D

Didn't lose a ship or anything just would get the crap chewed out of my shields and chunks out of my hull while I tried to keep my target in my sights. Completely forgot about maneuvering thrusters, which I tend to use to swing around the front of a station when I dock.. I suppose using them in combat is a good idea.

Will likely stick around doing this solo for a bit until I get use to not sucking against the computer before I come and play with you guys.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I jumped to Sothis and found it's not in boom, then I jumped to Niu Hsing and discovered it's an outpost. Then I turned the game off.

It has a planetary - cabera's claim or something like that. You can probably just buy a small ship around there to jump around in. Also, you can check minor faction states from anywhere using the galaxy map. It will save lots of time.

If you're doing the Nui Hsing > Col 285 grind then any medium/small ship will do, but you're likely to accumulate up to 20-24t of cargo rewards per run so a decent cargo hold is advised (Python is perfect). Personally I avoided Cabrera's as it just slowed me down.

Wow, Nui Hsing is great. Doesn't really feel like a grind because there are plenty of missions and I can break them up with some cargo deliveries or the planetary scan chains. Every system should be like this, just a constant flow of stuff to do.

I made enough to whack A drives and all the bits and bobs I needed on the cutter. Only the power plant remains (and a size 8 shield if I wanted to go that route). I guess I can start engineering it, maybe get it into some kind of usable state!

Five ranks to go until I have the rep for a corvette. Not that I urgently want one, but it'll be nice to have the option.

I made enough to whack A drives and all the bits and bobs I needed on the cutter. Only the power plant remains (and a size 8 shield if I wanted to go that route). I guess I can start engineering it, maybe get it into some kind of usable state!

Five ranks to go until I have the rep for a corvette. Not that I urgently want one, but it'll be nice to have the option.

I put in a few hours this weekend as well at Niu. 50% to go until I can buy the corvette. I'm hoping to get one by next weekend. I really want to have it ready when the fighting gets thick with the Thargoids.

• NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm,

Just got back to the bubble from Colonia. It was super easy. Docked at Jacques, sold my ship, bought starter sidewinder, undocked, turned life support off, respawned at LHS 3447 :twisted:

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I had to abandon a 500k credit "retrieve black boxes" mission last night because, when I dropped out of supercruise at the USS, we were close enough to the planet that everything went into free fall.

This would not have been a problem but my ship just kept bouncing all over the place as I raced through the upper atmosphere trying to collect the canisters, which resulted in me running into and destroying them.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for you, but that's actually pretty cool.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, it kinda was. :D

Drop out of supercruise, "Wait - where are they all going so quickly?" ... "Oh. Huh. Okay, let's try this."

I had about three aborted passes on each one before I bumped them too hard. I thought about leaving things until they hit the ground to see if they survived impact, but I didn't have that much time to play and they were taking their sweet time falling the ... 250km?

Derrick wrote: »

I put in a few hours this weekend as well at Niu. 50% to go until I can buy the corvette. I'm hoping to get one by next weekend. I really want to have it ready when the fighting gets thick with the Thargoids.

Um yeah. So I went a little crazy today.
    RUTCK39.jpgt3TSbSI.jpg

So I can scratch that one off the Elite bucket list. I swapped core modules from my Anaconda, so it's already in decent fighting shape. I just need to find a weapon loadout that I like. Also, maybe I'm just imagining it but it feels slower to turn and such than the Anaconda. Maybe I should drop some hull reinforcements? It'll be a project getting it where I want it. I'm thinking about ditching the two huge multis and going for plasma accelerators instead, to start.

And now that my Anaconda is free to no longer be the CZ war machine, I can fit her out for Haz RES mining and start mapping out a RES site or two.

I also spent the weekend at Niu Hsing, but was pretty chill about it. I got to 50% liutenant, which is only a gain of about one and a half ranks. I really like that loop though! I'm going to switch out for a Courier though, seems like that might improve it a bit.

I also spent the weekend at Niu Hsing, but was pretty chill about it. I got to 50% liutenant, which is only a gain of about one and a half ranks. I really like that loop though! I'm going to switch out for a Courier though, seems like that might improve it a bit.

I did it in a Diamondback Explorer. The planetary scan missions were pretty great. I actually made a few million ranking up even doing donation missions as they came up because the planetary scan missions paid so well.

I also want to get a courier. I expect it will be an easier rank up than the Corvette. heh. I'm not interested in a Clipper or Cutter at this point.

The Courier should be pretty easy to get. Hell, I got the rank for the Federal Gunship without ever actively grinding for Federation rank.

Once you've done one of the rep grinds, the next one is easier. And then you decide to switch platforms, so you have to do it again...

edited June 2017
    After a night of playing with the Corvette, here are my thoughts versus the Anaconda.

Definitely the Corvette pitches slower. It makes up for it with far less drift. So while with the Anaconda I was basically always doing a strafe run, with the Corvette I'm much more likely to be flying more naturally. I'm glad I didn't outright sell the Anaconda, because I do kinda like having to throw it around to get any work done.
    0cb53f4d1a009a1e621c1d62787893987f60439d54a27f652f9006ac75c02355.jpg

I've yet to really get the hang of docking the 'Conda after countless times doing so. The Vette I can dock with almost like an old pro. It's very telling as to how much better the Vette handles. Also, the Vette's cockpit isn't quite so high up.

Hardpoint convergence on the Corvette is the #1 best thing about it versus the Anaconda, imo. Right now I'm still getting to know the Corvette, so I decided to try 2 Huge PAs and the rest fixed multis just to get a taste of which hardpoints might be problem areas to gimbal out. None of them. I'm running full fixed and it's still a joy. I run full gimbals on the Anaconda, as a factor of 1) Hardpoints are too spread out 2) Drift strafe flying style is harder to aim with because of the funky flight paths and 3) I outfitted and engineered the Conda a long time ago, when I was less good at using fixed weapons (admittedly).

The true test is coming up. There's a system going to war (probably today) that I flipped months ago to Fed rule. I'm going to do my best to hold the line, so I'll get lots of CZ practice in. (And maybe some cop killing. It depends on if the mission boards are going to keep me occupied.)

Derrick on
    Awesome! It's good to hear your specific thoughts on it, because just looking at the numbers I couldn't see why you'd fly that thing over an Anaconda. If/when I get one, I'll probably switch all my combat gear onto it and keep the Anaconda permanently in an exploration build. That way I'll have a Big 3 for each of the 3 game play styles.

I'm having a lot of fun with my Courier in Nui Hsing. Something about that loop just really appeals to my lizard brain. The fact that the money is pretty good (but not crazy good) helps, the fact that I can mix it up a little and do different things is nice as well. Handing in a set of thirty missions is just a really satisfying feeling. The Courier has some some really light engineering on it (grade 1 upgraded performance thrusters notably) and it's a really fun ship to fly. I love the Asp for so many things but as a mission runner it's just a little dry.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I think the Conda has better hardpoints for fixed weapons, but it's harder to get them on target IMO. Two huge weapons will be a big plus over the Conda as well if FDev ever gets some balls and makes those shield/big 3 hull changes.

The Corvette is just more fun to fly than the Conda, in my opinion. 2 huge gimballed MCs and a load of efficient beams make any HazRES a complete cake walk.

edited June 2017
    Yeah from what I understand the general census on the big three is:

Corvette excels at combat.
    Anaconda is a fantastic multirole.
    Cutterr is unrivaled at trading/mining.

In terms of usefulness:

1st- Anaconda
    2nd- Cutter
    3rd- Corvette

All three are of course great for combat, which is what actually limits the Corvette's usefulness. Apart from combat it lags behind in pretty much every other department. Sure the Anaconda and Cutter may not be as good as the Corvette for combat, but all three ships are pretty much over kill for any PvE (though maybe that'll change with Thargoids).

The Anaconda can do everything very well and certainly makes for one of the better exploration ships on the market (not so much cost wise though :razz: ).
    Nobody beats the Cutter at trading or mining or basking, though if we get that bitch'n Panther Clipper this will certainly change.
    Corvette is really, really good at pew pewing, but not much else.

I still fucking love the Corvette though.

edit- Clipper changed to Cutter cause I always confuse the two.

Axen on
    Clipper? That's not big 3 :pop:

I used a Cutter for combat for a good while, switching it up with the Vette here recently.

edited June 2017
    dylman wrote: »
    The Corvette is just more fun to fly than the Conda, in my opinion. 2 huge gimballed MCs and a load of efficient beams make any HazRES a complete cake walk.

Gimbals? On the huge? MCs at that? Get behind me satan! ;)

At least you aren't setting up turret boats in expansion zones and going afk like certain eastern European power play factions.

Bigity on
    edited June 2017
    Bigity wrote: »
    Clipper? That's not big 3 :pop:

I used a Cutter for combat for a good while, switching it up with the Vette here recently.

Corrected.

I always mix those up. Doesn't help me that the traditionally larger ship is called a Clipper.

A Clipper,
    98ZFBnT.jpg

A Cutter,
    pG9uU8z.jpg

:razz:

Axen on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Finally, a little under a week and I'll get to finally dig into this game on the PS4. Probably in the middle of the night, since we'll have a newborn soon, but it'll be a pretty chill baby-holding game.

The Cutter is basically an expensive, useless source of resentment that I keep around in the hope that one day I'll be able to improve it enough that I don't fucking hate it any more. Kind of like my son.

At least you aren't setting up turret boats in expansion zones and going afk like certain eastern European power play factions.

Turret boats eh? Let me write that down...

I use all gimballed MCs on my Anaconda, except for the medium and smalls which are turreted beams for multicrew purposes. I know the cool guy thing to do these days is all fixed, but I never end up hitting anything. I do have fixed pulse lasers on my courier though, and even won a fight in it the other day.

I can't hit anything with fixed weapons, I blame the Xbox controller.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Only got the Anaconda and Cutter out of the big three. May have to grind the rep for the Corvette.

I will say that the Anaconda generally is a lot more fun to fly and fight in. The Anaconda tends to fill multirole very well and I enjoy fighting in it as it can move pretty well for such a large ship.

The cutter after the amount of Rep and money invested is okay but it's a slow turning ship even upgraded and it feels more of a support combat ship.

Though I did buy another Cutter which I've upgraded for FSD and maxed cargo. For passengers or cargo it's superb. Also dyed it pink and called it Truffle Pig.

Corvette from what I understand is the ultimate fighting ship.

I've never used a Cutter with grade 5 dirty drives or similar, but I just can't imagine using it in combat.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    The Cutter for combat is okay maybe there is a better build than what I have but as a support in a wing it's still handy.

This discussion has been closed.