As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I have a DBS I've built for silent running. I can't wait to try out the silent running changes in it. It's such a fun little ship.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How cool can you get it to run with thrusters on? My dream is a ship that can fly around with ice on it.

Also! I saw my first unseen earth-like, both of this trip and of all time. Those are crazy fucking rare!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    How cool can you get it to run with thrusters on? My dream is a ship that can fly around with ice on it.

Also! I saw my first unseen earth-like, both of this trip and of all time. Those are crazy fucking rare!

Should be super easy if you use a monopropellant.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've got a Tobii 4C eye and head tracker coming tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to trying out with Elite.

I've also got a pair of Oculus Touch controllers arriving. Tomorrow.

#firstworlddilemmas

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Oh hey, new trailer! Some shots of avatars in ships, Dolphin, I have no idea at 0:50, playstation 4 confirmed for q2 2017. A bit to bombastic for what the game actually is like, but oh well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

I'm of to scrutinize the trailer in more detail!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Is that a Veritech Fighter crossed with a butterfly?

It has moving flight surfaces.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Oooooh, check 0:19! That's an asteroid base if I'm not mistaken!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, I don't think even my Titan XP can handle a cityscape in a SRV in VR.

• Options
    Like the ones that are already in the game or...?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Since when there are big cities you can drive through?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    I don't understand

• Options
    In the trailer there's a short of SRVs going through a city with skyscrapers and stuff.

• Options
    I think those are the ones already in game. The larger settlements have skyscrapers.

That unfolding ship is a Taipan right? It doesn't do that in game. I hope that's something they're adding and not just a bullshot.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Is that a Veritech Fighter crossed with a butterfly?

It has moving flight surfaces.

That's a Taipan fighter. It folds up to fit in the fighter bay.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Brb buying a taipan

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Oh finally! PS4 version.

Give it to me... so excited! All the Horizon stuff was confirmed too.

Ceno on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Oooooh, check 0:19! That's an asteroid base if I'm not mistaken!

Oh man you are right that IS an asteroid base!!! I am SOOO excited for that! I have always wanted to fly around asteroid bases and stuff in this game! Thank Braben they are finally adding some really interesting places to go and see! Huzzah for variety! :D

7drHiqr.gif

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    EAT IT

Added detail: look how bust up my paint is at this point. It's lost all of the metallic sheen.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Nice work, I suppose that is Sagitarius-A? I hear that "the great annihilator" is another must-see in the area.

Edit: This is a bit late, but here is the Taipan doing its origami in-game in case anyone wants to see it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DvGtevEEIVU&feature=youtu.be

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Nice work, I suppose that is Sagitarius-A? I hear that "the great annihilator" is another must-see in the area.

Edit: This is a bit late, but here is the Taipan doing its origami in-game in case anyone wants to see it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DvGtevEEIVU&feature=youtu.be

I guess it's time to fit that fighter bay in my Gunship...

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I decided to give Resource Extraction point camping again--found a good target, got just close enough to fire at him, went running at full power with boost--and was hit by an "impulse attack", Class 4A shields knocked out immediately. Then they went for my engines, naturally. I would've been dead if I didn't exit out.

So, yeah, I won't be doing that again. I can take a fine board job and get 500,000 for a few jumps, or I can try this, and get killed and pay the insurance premium. Not hard at all to chose. :D So this clearly works for some people, but not for me in my modest Viper Mk IV. Doesn't surprise me if they decided to crack down on gaming the system like that.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I decided to give camping resource extraction sites for bounties a way to raise money rather than waiting for lucrative ~1 million passenger routes, assassinations, etc.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but...it sucks. Really sucks. If I'm lucky, I run into a bounty worth ~50,000 or so, and he doesn't run away. If I'm not lucky, I get a bunch of contacts worth less than 10,000 each.

I like combat, but grinding for a few hours at the mercy of the RNG sucks. At least on a mission board, I don't have to be actively flying the whole time. On the other hand, I've never found a bounty worth 100,000---the closest I've ever gotten is assassination missions on pirate lords and that sort, and the payment for the actual mission beats the shit out of the bounty frankly--you'll get 700,000 or so for killing someone with a 40,000 bounty.

Maybe I just have bad luck?

Are you in a High or Hazardous RES? If so, and you jump in and find tiny bounties, reenter supercruise, loop back around and reenter the RES to reset it. If the first bounty you come across is still tiny, do it again. You should eventually get a high bounty coming in to start, and when it starts out with a high bounty they'll almost always all be in that same neighborhood from then on.

I was, though I'm not doing myself any favors by spending so little time in extraction/refinery economies that most of the areas are still marked "unknown."

Then again, I'm only in a Viper Mk IV--even fully upgraded, unless I'm mistaken a Deadly FDL would basically vaporize me in a few glances.

Which is why you use the space-fuzz as a cannon-fodder. Remember, you don't need to do the majority of damage...just to participate on hull damage.

Sounds extremely situation--you have to find a good bounty and hope the cops are on the scene to do the work with you. Though a Viper Mk IV can run away very fast at least.

I guess they changed how they distribute bounty credit--I remember earlier versions where you do do 30% on a target, if Internal Security did the other 70%, you'd get nothing.

In a High RES the cops are pretty omnipresent. You can even tag a hard bounty if there are no cops nearby, flip and boost towards the cops, and when you get close enough the cops will engage.

Funny thing--they distinctly are not, not in a way that would matter anyway. In Epsilon-Hydri anyway. ; )
    I had one of those paranoid passenger missions, and miscalculated my distance when boosting in on silent running. I ended up wedging my AspX under the ring at the back of the station. Which wouldn't have been bad, but my passenger also didn't like me taking hull damage, and I kept forgetting I was in reverse from trying to slow down.

I finally managed to get loose and dock, with my passenger one step away from giving me the finger.

I've never actually gotten a passenger angry enough to abort the mission, excluding the one time before "Passenger Wanted" was visible, and I got killed inside the space station (and technically that was a ghost, I suppose, so naturally they were upset). Assuming you start from "Happy" I think you get quite a few strike outs.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My SOP in RESes: check local contacts and scan for bounties. Never engage targets until the space-cops start shooting (and even when they start shooting, it'd probably be a good idea to not engage until after the target's shields are down). And of utmost importance is to keep an eye on local police ships to make sure they don't all get wiped out while you're taking down the bounty.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Impulse Attack means you were getting hit by railguns.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    My SOP in RESes: check local contacts and scan for bounties. Never engage targets until the space-cops start shooting (and even when they start shooting, it'd probably be a good idea to not engage until after the target's shields are down). And of utmost importance is to keep an eye on local police ships to make sure they don't all get wiped out while you're taking down the bounty.

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that in doing this, you are at the mercy to what the police want to attack. If they're attacking Vipers, you're collecting bounties on Vipers.

On the bright side, seems like an okay way to build up a combat rating. Money? Eh, not really.

• Options

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that in doing this, you are at the mercy to what the police want to attack. If they're attacking Vipers, you're collecting bounties on Vipers.

On the bright side, seems like an okay way to build up a combat rating. Money? Eh, not really.

Depends on the RES you're in. I mean, racking up 150,000-200,000 in 30 minutes is about normal for me in my Viper MkIV. If I get lucky with what comes in, that number can be upwards of 300,000-500,000 in the same time frame.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Depends on the RES you're in. I mean, racking up 150,000-200,000 in 30 minutes is about normal for me in my Viper MkIV. If I get lucky with what comes in, that number can be upwards of 300,000-500,000 in the same time frame.

Well, I hung out in a High Resource Point until literally every target was cleared by the Eagles and they were going in patrol circles...a half-dozen 20,000 bounties and two 40,000.

Not terrible. Not great certainly. One 700,000 transport call or assassination would've been more than everything combined. I'll stick with the boards, unless I'm really bored out of my mind.

EDIT: Then again, that's only possible because I maxed reputation in a convenient star system with the leading faction.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    You might be having bad luck with spawns - I can usually get between 1-3 million an hour in a RES.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    At that point, it's about as up-to-chance as the mission board, but a good bit less transparent.

On the bright side, you can finally see where your space taxes are going.

• Options
    I once made 9 million in an hour at a res

• Options
    edited December 2016

With everything turned on, it flies around at 19 degrees. Deploying hardpoints puts it at 23. Disabling my bi weave shields flies it at 17 degrees (coasts down to 14 without firing the thrusters). Deploying a heatsink keeps the ice on the canopy for a good bit.

I also didn't go very far with engineering. I could definitely get it colder.

For some reason I think 20 degrees is some kind of break point. I never really fully researched the stealth / silent running mechanics.

Edit- Silent Running Video

Derrick on
  • Options
    Cheers! That's really interesting.

I'm having trouble finding The Great Annihilator. That doesn't show up on my map. Any tips?

• Options
    That's odd Tube, I've never been there myself but according to the wiki the system is indeed called "Great Annihilator". If that doesn't show up I have no clue....

• Options
    So having not seen a single neutron star on this entire trip, I saw five this morning. Three in a row! Then I jumped into a system with two neutron stars and a black hole

• Options
    edited December 2016
    So having not seen a single neutron star on this entire trip, I saw five this morning. Three in a row! Then I jumped into a system with two neutron stars and a black hole

I've seen two neutron stars with massive emission jets. Not sure if those are pulsars? Who knows. Of course, I'm no where near the core.

so, I thought I'd give Resource Extraction Site camping another go--did substantially better (no where near a good assassination mission though)....but while pushing too hard on my X-55 like an idiot I cracked the bottom right corner of the frame somewhat and now my stick falls into a grove when pulled that way.

After feeling very dumb (and disassembling and reassembling my stick so I could see the damage) I guess I'll need to see if Saitek sells replacement parts (in my case, I just need the top face of the of the joystick's base, the one with yellow markings on it. The internal circuitry of the joystick is remarkably simplistic (and all on one board), I think I could actually do the swap if I was feeling brave enough.

Or I could try waiting to see what comes down the line since Logitech's acquisition of Saitek, though so far all I've heard is that for some insane reason the X-56 is running in the hundreds of dollars easily despite being almost the exact same HOTAS.

Did I mention I felt very stupid?

EDIT:
    I once made 9 million in an hour at a res

And I made 212,000 in one hour. It's not very consistent. :) Not that I can collect any more evidence with a cracked joystick.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I am sure I posted a screen of doing over 5 mill in an hour of res.

• Options
    I am sure I posted a screen of doing over 5 mill in an hour of res.

Like Synthesis said, it's incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes, you'll friendship drive into one and it'll have a pile of FDLes, Fed Drop/Assaultships, Imperial Cutters, Cobra and Viper IVs, and Vultures. Other times, though, it'll be nothing but Eagles and Sidewinders as far as the eye can see.

Last night, it was solid FDLes, Fed Dropships, and Cutters...45 minutes later and I had 1.6mil in bounties. And this is from a RES that's less than 1 L-minute away from Cavendish Station in LHS-371 (which, if I remember, is really close to the system I started the game in).

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    It is super inconsistent

but I find combat very fun so I like doing it

they nerfed my 3-6 million one jump transport missions into the dirt so eff it

• Options
    My record run needed super specific circumstances. Alf was the number one power that week and I had rating five, so it essentially doubled my payouts.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm still around the Poitriti system and still no federal promotion quests. Should I be moving to another system? I've been doing them in one system to get rep but still never see the quest.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      In the potentiality of having to replace my X-55 this Christmas, what are people recommending HOTAS wise? This seems as good a place as any to ask about it.

This discussion has been closed.