As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rat Rod [chat]

19495969798100»

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    the trick is to just always have a practically empty fridge so when you think "do i have X"

the answer is no i definitely do not have more than two days worth of food.

this is me

money aside.

i find it really difficult to stock a fridge as a single.

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    House flipping:
    upside-down-house-in-germany-2.jpg

*When your Wrath of God gets coutnerspelled for the third time in a row*

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    You guys are so lucky. My town has a slightly iffy Chinese place that does Americanized Chinese food but at least is owned by a Chinese couple so the food isn't completely ruined by southern taste.

And finally we got a decent pizza place.

And that's it, the other restaurants are horrible. I have to drive into Florence just to get normally-mediocre American chain restaurant food.

huehuehuehuie
    I'm so glad I dont have to go up that way anymore
    Moulton is a hellhole.
    Decatur wasn't much better.

then there was Chad
    I don't even think its on maps
    That place was actually hell.

Decatur isn't that bad. Florence is actually kinda nice.

I hated Decatur mainly because we had to go to the hot air balloon festival at point mallard every year and it was always on my birthday weekend
    which means i rarely ever got a real birthday party.

Bless your heart.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The whole smart home paradigm makes me hard as a rock. Lights that I can control from my smartphone? Yes. Programmable thermostat that reacts to a weather feed? Fuck yes. Presence detection and scene settings? Oh god fuck yes.

But smart fridges just make me tilt my head like a confused dog.

I don't want any of those things.

I need to invent a time machine so I can permanently live in like, 2008.

Wifi bulbs are amazing. We got home from a trip later than we planned last week so it was dark out, hit one button on the phone and driveway lights came on, porch light came on, all the downstairs lights came on.

I got started on home automation recently to replace my old sunrise simulator. The lights in my bedroom slowly dim up over an hour before I have to get up for work. Then they turn off automatically at 10 am. It's fucking awesome. I've been adding more a little bit at a time.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Also I don't even have a smartphone anymore. Mine stopped working and I haven't addressed it yet.

And it hasn't diminished my life noticeably. The last time I was actually like "Glad I have a cell phone" was when I was standing 10 feet from that slow car accident like 8 months ago and that was mostly because being the very first person to call 911 freed me from the obligation to comfort the slightly injured accident victims.

I think you might be a boomer instead of genx/millennial

And yet I am savvy enough to detect this microaggression.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    These flippers do have a few houses where they show they lost money instead of made money

Shows do that to claim they are honest or whatever, but if you counted up the money they claim to lose vs what they claim to make they'd be super in the black. And that's ignoring the money they are paying for the houses with probably isn't even theirs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    also I saw Star Wars Episode 1 while in Decatur.
    So I blame Decatur for the prequels being shit

Bless your heart.
    You guys are so lucky. My town has a slightly iffy Chinese place that does Americanized Chinese food but at least is owned by a Chinese couple so the food isn't completely ruined by southern taste.

And that's it, the other restaurants are horrible. I have to drive into Florence just to get normally-mediocre American chain restaurant food.

huehuehuehuie
    Moulton is a hellhole.

then there was Chad

My last company had a branch office in Huntsville.

That office had some of the most difficult people I've ever worked with.

Totally polite and sweet, but passive-aggressive, dishonest, and lazy as fuck.

Congratulations, you have experienced southern hospitality first hand.

Heart blessings reaching maximum

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    These house flipping shows

Why are they enjoyable?

As someone who works in real estate they aren't. Not only are they mostly lies, they directly cause me to have to deal with idiots who watched one of those and then gets into my industry.

Tell me about the lies!

The prices they quote are ridiculous for one. Like they claim they can turn around a house for like double its listing cost in a month or whatever? Yeah no fucking way. Also they frequently price a house out of the neighborhood its in (not all of the flip shows do, but a lot of them do), so even if there was a buyer for the area they couldn't afford it.

Obviously some markets are different from others, but much like Storage wars when you see them pulling pie in the sky "worth" numbers, know its complete bullshit.

on the other hand I have seen people paint and do flooring and stage a house to try to resell something for 50k more in like 3 months.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

huehuehuehuie
    Moulton is a hellhole.

then there was Chad

I used to work out of kentucky and that over the top high pitched "nice" southern accent still triggers me.

"Hi, this is daaaaawwwwwnnnnn I was jus callin' to tell you that we are screwing you sooooo hard. Yeah it was 5 bucks cheaper if your greyhound trip had a 36 hour layover at the St. Louis bus station.

Well won't that be an adventure"

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    These flippers do have a few houses where they show they lost money instead of made money

Shows do that to claim they are honest or whatever, but if you counted up the money they claim to lose vs what they claim to make they'd be super in the black. And that's ignoring the money they are paying for the houses with probably isn't even theirs.

oh they're all full of lies.

the house purchasing ones already have the house picked out and sometimes the folks even have to remove their personal belongings from them to make it seem like it is not lived in.

scripts scripts scripts.

steam_sig.png
    Also I was staying at the Holiday Inn next to the Tennessee River bridge when Princess Di was killed
    Also Decatur's fault.

Bless your heart.
    Oh, happy 301st anniversary of the death of Louis XIV of France

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Thick lines for all force arrows and bold letters for forces in general

ΣFx = 0 => FCDcos30° - FBDcos45° = 0

Etc. It looks nice.

And of course unlined paper, the one true way to take notes.

ftOqU21.png
    Well at least hakkes isn't here to shit this up with anime.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Ooh these flip floppers bought a house that has a cracked con the slab and it will cost $42,000 to repair by itself lol

Doesn't that fall under section 1 issues, also how do you even find a crack in the slab unless its incredibly obvious.

The fact that my house is on a slab foundation is the thing that worries me most.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    (awesomed for book, not for lamp.)

Come on I engineered the fuck out of that lamp

The floodlights just went off, too, so there's no other light anywhere now

ehh ok the lamp can take, let's say, 5% of the awesome, with another 20% for the physics homework and the rest going to Bulgakov.

Acceptable.

ftOqU21.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    n03_23232963.jpg

poo
    rockrnger wrote: »

huehuehuehuie
    Moulton is a hellhole.

then there was Chad

I used to work out of kentucky and that over the top high pitched "nice" southern accent still triggers me.

"Hi, this is daaaaawwwwwnnnnn I was jus callin' to tell you that we are screwing you sooooo hard. Yeah it was 5 bucks cheaper if your greyhound trip had a 36 hour layover at the St. Louis bus station.

Well won't that be an adventure"

Buses. Not even once.

*Gets a bus to work*

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    that sky looks delicious

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Ooh these flip floppers bought a house that has a cracked con the slab and it will cost $42,000 to repair by itself lol

Doesn't that fall under section 1 issues, also how do you even find a crack in the slab unless its incredibly obvious.

The fact that my house is on a slab foundation is the thing that worries me most.

There are houses in California with slab foundations. I don't even understand how that is legal, and it sure as shit is not advisable.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm leaving work momentarily if i get picked i defer to my second

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Obviously staged, I'm sure you would have an inspection before the sale is final

Someone start writing a lengthy post, it's the only way to trigger Geth's hate matrix.

Obviously staged, I'm sure you would have an inspection before the sale is final

Depends actually. On some foreclosure properties in hotter markets sellers won't let you have an inspection, or crazily enough a viewing of the property until you're under contract.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Could've been hidden by an exterior facade around the slab. Then you tear up some subfloor inside to replace it and whoops.

nibXTE7.png

There are houses in California with slab foundations. I don't even understand how that is legal, and it sure as shit is not advisable.

yup, mine is one of them. But its also 60ish years old and didn't seem to have any issues so they must have poured it real fucking well.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Next ep! They are offering three hundred grand in cash to buy this one!

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 5

@Regina Fong will create the new thread
    @So It Goes is backup

This discussion has been closed.