As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix and chill thread (also other streaming services I suppose)

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's fucking hilarious and she's great in it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I keep laughing that Marc Maron literally is wearing his street clothes and getting away with it in a movie set in the 80's

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Finished OitNB last night. Hell of a cliffhanger.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Probably already posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAiZ-jWf6I

It looks to be just the right amount of stupid.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Watching GLOW. I never watched wrestling in the 80s because it was, you know, obviously bullshit.

But this show is pretty great, you guys.

Best use of Journey in the soundtrack I've heard for years.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Two questions about series I tried last night:

1) If I thought the first episode of Black Mirror was terrible, is there a chance I'll like the others? I know it's an anthology so everything changes, but I really disliked the first one.
    2) Many, many people say Person of Interest is good but that it takes a while to figure itself out. I found myself drifting off to read the forum and do other things during the pilot, how long until it's interesting?

And Moana is good, Disney's animation has been on a roll lately.

I guess it depends on what you disliked about the first episode of Black Mirror. I'd definitely give another episode a shot. For example, in the third season I just skipped Nosedive some 8 minutes in and haven't looked back. It's always a bit rocky, but there's some great content there. The usual recommendations are San Junipero, White Christmas, and White Bear. I'd add 15 Million Merits, Shut Up and Dance, and (more hesitantly) Men Against Fire.

PoI is pretty cool, but it is probably the most tv show ever to tv show. I recall seeing a commercial (muted, of course) a few years ago and thinking "this is so generic it could be Person of Interest", and then Finch shows up. There is an almost slavish devotion to the formula for the vast majority of the run. This is not totally a bad thing (I liked the formula, but feel it hurts the binge-watching), and could even be a point in favor on thematic grounds. I definitely say stick with it.

Later on, the cast expands a bit. Amy Acker, Sarah Shahi, and Enrico Colantoni are some highlights.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    With regards to Black Mirror, they get a lot more inventive about the exploration of technology and how what we have now could be applied to more interesting sci-fi concepts. For the most part, the rest of the series could be considered grounded nightmares or stress dreams.

Despite the episode being made before the news hit after what happened to David Cameron I still see the PM as him.

Harry Dresden on
    edited June 2017
    You know, her movie career ain't great, but Brie picks incredible TV projects. She's been a regular on four shows: Mad Men, Community, Bojack, and GLOW.

enlightenedbum on
    You know, her movie career ain't great, but Brie picks incredible TV projects. She's been a regular on four shows: Mad Men, Community, Bojack, and GLOW.

It's a shame, she's a fantastic actress. Instead she's usually being the pretty friend to the lead.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    First episode of GLOW was good. In for the season.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    WTF has happened to OitNB? It feels like the most emotionally corrupt show I've ever seen now. It pingpongs between comedy and melodrama at such a rate now that it's actually hard to watch. Granted, it's always done this to some extent but it always gave the two sides of things room to breathe. Now it's like emotional whiplash.

Also, they've gone the route of making almost every character on the show completely despicable. I think it's time to wrap this thing up.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    WTF has happened to OitNB? It feels like the most emotionally corrupt show I've ever seen now. It pingpongs between comedy and melodrama at such a rate now that it's actually hard to watch. Granted, it's always done this to some extent but it always gave the two sides of things room to breathe. Now it's like emotional whiplash.

Also, they've gone the route of making almost every character on the show completely despicable. I think it's time to wrap this thing up.

They accomplished nothing this past season. Squandered TONS of chances for character progress, or consequence, or growth something but instead everything winds up pretty much same as it started.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think we still have about 3-4 episodes left but the stuff with Piscatella and also the secret room is just completely ridiculous. Also the Piscatella flashback was maybe one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen (which was admittedly pretty impactful).

I was really interested to hear this season was taking place over just a few days but it almost feels like they're ignoring that from a development perspective. Characters and their motivations change so much it feels like it's taking place over years or months, not days. At this point I'm basically only interested in Caputo.

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Its like they consistently miss every opportunity to actually have consequences to character actions. They get RIIIIIIIGHT up to the edge of having it matter and then walk it back.

That being said, the ACTRESSES are amazing this season. Some staggeringly great performances. Its a shame the writers wont let it have impact

*click* Subscribed to GLOW.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I accidently watched Black Mirror seasons backwards, starting with 3 and going back. IDK why it did that but it felt like a really great way experiencing the series.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    1st episode of GLOW was solid and good.

-Intro was good but also just kind of stops which was weird.
    -I can see Netflix made sure to pay Brie's nudity price. I think the "Golden Age of TV" is just shorthand for "bewbs!"
    -Brie is basically playing Annie Edison, even complete with still living above Dildopolis it seems
    -Maron is great and basically asks the question I have about Brie when he takes her headshot
    -the other guy, that guy from Mad Men, nah brah, nah. Hopefully he's killed off in the next episode
    -the supporting cast is good and likable, from the giant lady to the indian lady and even not Britta. Again, Britta is better than Annie. Fact.
    -the 80's look is a little superficial but it works (it comes across like they're just wearing old clothes and drive old cars but it's not super distracting)

Feel better about this show than Weeds or OitNB or other new shows and hope it doesn't make me regret typing this.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    GLOW is amazing and Sheila is the best

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I accidently watched Black Mirror seasons backwards, starting with 3 and going back. IDK why it did that but it felt like a really great way experiencing the series.

Maybe because it's listed that way on Netflix, which is odd

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Midway through the new OiTNB.
    I suspect that Red's plan will fail, but meanwhile Piscatella will get so mad at being disrespected by the real police that he snaps and gets himself in trouble without any help from the inmates.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Thanks to Moana I can no longer say "your welcome" without singing it like The Rock.

Thanks to Moana, whenever you give something to my daughter, she says "you're welcome" instead of "thank you."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    They're going to make GLOW season 2, right?

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Seems likely, but presumably they have to see how many people watch it. Critical reception is positive.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    They're going to make GLOW season 2, right?

If there's a kind and caring god, 6 seasons and a movie.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, they use Stan Bush's DARE in episode 7.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I had a half day because I start a new job Monday and left at noon so I marathoned through glow and just finished it.

It's amazing.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    In literally all of the awful, fucking awful things that are happening today. We have GLOW.

GLOW.

It is here. It is beautiful.

I am willing to fight anyone who disagrees.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Glow is pretty great, I dont think its what I was expecting, but still great.

Really surprised Annie's Boobs show up like 5 minutes in, wasnt expecting that. I'm pretty sure Marc Maron is playing Marc Maron who doesnt hate himself as much as Marc Maron hates himself.

Also, 80s lady workout attire was ridiculous.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    emp123 wrote: »
    Really surprised Annie's Boobs show up like 5 minutes in, wasnt expecting that.
    Netflix Originals seem to always have nudity early in the first episode to get people's attention, I guess they need to up the ante these days.

Coinage on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Coinage wrote: »
    Really surprised Annie's Boobs show up like 5 minutes in, wasnt expecting that.
    Netflix Originals seem to always have nudity early in the first episode to get people's attention, I guess they need to up the ante these days.

That's actually par for the course in most premium shows that do nudity. Someone gets naked in the first episode to make sure folks know that there might be more nudity later. Like, Eva Green drops trou in Camelot episode 1, but then it's late in the season before she takes off her clothes again (and this is Eva Green, who has to have NOT being naked written into her contract... bet that was an uncomfortable union representation session for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children).

Dracomicron on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

I think what they were trying to go for was a "this is what happens when you push people too far - they push back" message with the last two seasons, but they've done it in such a really animalistic way that it instead ends up being hard to find sympathy for them.

I mean, it could be going for a "they're cons, not your friends" kind of real life reminder thing, but that wasn't the point of the show at all.

Ninjeff wrote: »
    Its like they consistently miss every opportunity to actually have consequences to character actions. They get RIIIIIIIGHT up to the edge of having it matter and then walk it back.

That being said, the ACTRESSES are amazing this season. Some staggeringly great performances. Its a shame the writers wont let it have impact

I think they're shooting for a parallel to the Adams County incident - if they are, this is probably their best opportunity to salvage the season. But given things look like
    they're just getting worse rather than better
    I'm not holding out any hopes.

Edit: I gotta say though as someone who grew up in hispanic households there's no way I don't notice the Goya and Cafe Bustelo product placements whenever they show the hispanic characters. It's all at once blatant, hilarious, culturally aware and a little racist, and I'm thoroughly amused by it.

Donnicton on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man if you liked Glow though don't read the wikipedia or watch the documentary because that shit got really depressing as a prime example of how the 80s was just horrible to everyone.

Like, it turns out taking a bunch of actresses with no proper training and making them wrestlers causes long term health damage.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man if you liked Glow though don't read the wikipedia or watch the documentary because that shit got really depressing as a prime example of how the 80s was just horrible to everyone.

Like, it turns out taking a bunch of actresses with no proper training and making them wrestlers causes long term health damage.

To be fair, trained wrestlers tend to have long term health damage as well. Though I imagine it is worse if you are completely untrained.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2017
    Through five episodes of GLOW and I really like it, credit to the supporting cast for making Brie look like chump change; I'm not saying this as a slight to her because I like Brie, but every time the others are onscreen they steal the scenes. Cherry is the only one I kinda don't care for if only because she seems the most bog standard character type and feels like she's being propped up about more than needed (I guess I'll call it Captain America-ing).

Edit: this show is also 30 minutes which is the perfect length for dramedy, it's not being padded the fuck out like the Marvel shows or other originals.

TexiKen on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Glow is pretty great, I dont think its what I was expecting, but still great.

Really surprised Annie's Boobs show up like 5 minutes in, wasnt expecting that. I'm pretty sure Marc Maron is playing Marc Maron who doesnt hate himself as much as Marc Maron hates himself.

Also, 80s lady workout attire was ridiculous.

Ya I want to make a game where you put pictures of Marc Marin doing his podcast/regular life and put them side by side with pictures from him in GLOW and see if anyone can tell which is which

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    First episode of Glow down and I'm not engaged just yet.

Is it more than just wrestling and tits, because I didn't care for Community so I haven't been obsessing over Alison, and for the other, well I'm not that into theatre.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    It's more than tits and wrestling, Marc Maron alone gets some solid jokes in and is the strongest character, and even Piz from Veronica Mars is good (as opposed to that show where he killed it). And although they throw them titties out every now and then just to act like they're being a rebellious show it's a bit more restrained as you go on.

As someone who has never been in the Squee For Brie club (Chillin' With Gillian 4 lyfe), the show spreads out so that she's the main character but not the focal point for a bulk of the episodes, much the way Don Draper was used in Mad Men.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I didn't like Allison Brie's character until she figures out her persona in the show. At which point all her lines are just golden and she becomes a bunch more likeable.

I was still hooked on GLOW despite my apathy for Brie's character. And the show was able to evoke a wide array of emotions from me when the payoff happens at the end of the season. Which for me is usually a good indicator that they've done a good job with writing, story, characters, etc. Even better, is that it has a solid, actual ending with just enough left over to build to a new season.

Netflix is showing they ain't all about two season guarantees 95% of the time as Girlboss is axed after the first season.

Seemed like it was a bit too generic (rebel young adult girl taking on the fashion world and trying to have it all!) and never saw anyone talking about it one way or another.

This discussion has been closed.