As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

1246732

Posts

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny feigns confusion, hoping to distract the young man while the others do as they will.
    "Ohh. Oh dear. Are you sure? There was a gentleman..." he gestured vaguely in the direction of where they had parked. "I could have sworn... Damnit, damnit." Danny started rubbing his temples. "Why do I always? That way you say? Thank you so much. You may have saved me a great deal of trouble."
    Danny starts heading in the direction the teenager suggested. Walking until he loses interest in Danny.
    Danny will regroup with everyone when he can. Let me know if you want any specific rolls.

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Even Deke's relatively modest understanding of the streets is enough to recognize a lookout. The question was, who or what was the kid looking out for?

    The Toreador couldn't read Mandarin, so he did the next best thing and moved to walk with Danny, engaging him in meaningless smalltalk. "Couldn't find your 'secret noodle shop' huh?"

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    "Fuckin' quack. Wandering around this neighborhood'll get you in a bodybag. That prick your boyfriend?" He laughs as the two leave, clearly pleased with himself for posing a threat, though he looks about as dangerous as the women of the night across the street, if not less.
    None are required, the boy leaves you be as long as you move away from the shop.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex thumbs out two bills and places the cheap watch into his pocket. "My thanks!"

    He returns to the group to share the information he has gathered. "Looks like Li Feng's place is right over there." He points across the corner to the shop the woman pointed out to him. "I'm guessing what we are looking for is somewhere near that."

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke nods. "Kid's a lookout, apparently supposed to keep gwai lo away. That's us, to be clear." He shrugs if anyone gives him a look. "You don't grow up in New York City without hearing it said behind your back and to your face on occasion."

    "If I understand Julia's meaning," he says, emphasizing the Prince's name, "We should avoid damaging him. That means scaring him off, I think. I'm not terribly good at that."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    "Now you're spreaking my language." Bulldog says with a smile. "I'll handle this."

    The biker stalks up to the kid, and when tries to say something, Bulldog hauls the him up by his shirt with one hand. "Get the fuck outta here, before I smash that stupid smile off your face."
    Using strength 5, intimidation 2, potence 2 to intimidate. I'm trying to scare him with an obvious physical threat but I'm careful not break the masquerade.
    Geth, roll 9d10o10h8 for Intimidation

    Intimidation:
    9d10o10h8 3 [9d10o10h8=3, 9, 6, 9, 7, 8, 7, 4, 3]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    AustinP0027
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    While Bulldog acts like an ass, Lizzy takes this opportunity to slip down the stairs to the shop. She figures she has only a few moments to get what is needed before the brute outside causes everyone to be strapped to the roof for a sun tan.

    Maclay
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    While the Brujah has the kid's attention, I will pretend to walk toward the corner, but then follow Lizzy, hopefully without him noticing me

    Geth roll 8d10o10h8 for Dex+Stealth+Subterfuge

    Dex+Stealth+Subterfuge:
    8d10o10h8 5 [8d10o10h8=8, [10, 9], 1, 7, 3, 2, [10, 9], 6]

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    The kid's expression turns from cocky to horrified in record time. He throws his hands up in defense, manages a stuttered apology, and, once allowed, runs out of sight as if he were set ablaze.

    The descent into the shop feels more like walking into an underground rave than an occult shop. The staircase darkens until finally opening up into a small room, dimly lit with assorted tubes of neon lighting. The scent of melded incenses is nearly overpowering, but the surroundings are comparatively mundane. The tiny square chamber has a single counter, a back door, and a wall lined with electronic components, mostly the sort that seem used to repair tiny devices for a very niche crowd.

    "Seems like you all had a bit of a fuss getting in." A half-Asian woman in her late teens to early twenties is behind the counter, blowing a ring of smoke out from a thin pipe of tobacco. "Hope it was worth scaring off that brat for. You all lookin' for someone?"

    rpcJVoo.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    "We are looking for one called Li Feng Chai as he may know something important to us.
    We do apologize for causing such a fuss."

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "Oh come on. That one you were barely trying" Max is being affable, at the moment. "This shouldn't take long, we just were told he was the one to talk to."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    "That all depends on who wants to know, and why." The woman sits back, watching your group with a measuring expression. "The kid's just doing his job. Badly, but I digress. Fortunately you were smart enough not to hurt him, or there certainly would have been some 'smashing' done as a result."

    rpcJVoo.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke finally enters the shop, in time to catch the admonition. He offers a nod, the traditional greeting of New Yorkers, and a closed-mouth smile. "Even if we did not have explicit rules about interacting in Chinatown, there's little need to do permanent harm to your lookout. He was, for what it's worth, good at the actual looking out part." He settles in, letting Max and Lizzy handle the matter of getting to Li Feng Chai.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Alex's followed the group down into the shop once the lookout had been taken care of. He casually strolled up to the woman behind the counter as she spoke. "We're just hoping he can help us with a little problem we seem to have. Heard he can help us find someone, and we would love to get some of his time, if it's not too much of a bother."
    Charisma+Subterfuge+Presence.

    Assuming Friendly face is h7 unless you let me know differently.

    Geth, roll 7d10o10h7 for Turning on the Charm

    Turning:
    7d10o10h7 4 [7d10o10h7=2, 5, [10, 9], 1, 8, 9, 3]

    AustinP0027 on
    Boozer
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog followed the rest of the group down, posting up by the entrance, scanning the room reflexively. He didn't seem concerned or amused at stories of the kid's fright. It was just business, something he was good at.

    Bulldog was content to let others do the talking, especially after hearing Alex turn on the charm.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny offered to stay topside and keep an eye on things. He did his best to blend in, but stay close in case of trouble. "I'll text if shit hits the fan."
    Unless there are any objections?
    Dex Stealth Obfuscate 5 to disappear.

    Geth roll 5d10o10h8 for Blending In

    Per Alert Auspex 7 to watch.

    Geth roll 7d10o10h8 for Looking for Trouble

    Blending In:
    5d10o10h8 1 [5d10o10h8=8, 2, 3, 6, 1]
    Looking for Trouble:
    7d10o10h8 3 [7d10o10h8=8, 5, 6, 3, 2, [10, 10, 6], 3]

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Alex's charm manages to pique the woman's interest, but she maintains a stoic demeanor. "Lot of problems in this city, pretty boy. Lot of missing people, too." The hand not holding the cigarette reaches out to the counter surface, unseen fingers passing along the underside of it. "Won't bother me none. He doesn't take kindly to having his time wasted, though, so I do hope you make it worth his while. He can be... touchy." A faint beep resounds, and the back door swings open, making the origin of the incensed aromas all the clearer; and stronger. "You got ten minutes."

    The chamber beyond the small shop is far more spacious, more akin to a giant collection of antiquities than a shop. There's little rhyme or reason to how the interior is sorted. A few isolated tables are cluttered with assortments of knick-knacks ranging from chess pieces to jewelry, most caked in dust, while other transparent cases seem to keep far more valuable items such as weapons and parchment behind thick glass. Every so often a towering statue or sculpture stands out, or most strikingly, the ominous presence of a stuffed komodo dragon taking up the entire length of a shelf. At least, you certainly hope it's the work of a taxidermist, since it looks prone to swift action at any given moment.

    Examining one of the statues with a magnifying glass is a hunched-over man that is well past sixty, and is making use of a footstool just to reach its midsection. "We're past business hours, friends." He speaks with a thick accent, but his English is clear enough. "So I wonder what it is you seek." He doesn't give his full attention with his remarks, but the door remains open.

    @Maclay
    The incident outside the shop seemed to have drawn a few prying eyes, but once the kid ran off, it was back to business as usual... for a time. It doesn't take long to see that the same kid is back on that same corner, only this time he is talking to a man in a black suit who seems very interested in what he has to say.

    cj iwakura on
    rpcJVoo.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Looking at the collection of things, Elizabeth is stunned and delighted at the insanity of the room. She looks at the Komodo Dragon before speaking.
    "We are looking for the whereabouts of the Nosferatu clan.
    They were once powerful people in the New York Land
    But now suddenly, they have gone missing and we wish to know why.
    And so we've been told that we should give you a try."

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny noted the physical appearance of the newcomer, hopefully enough so that he could give a detailed description later. The ambient noise would be hell to separate from the conversation at this distance and he had serious doubts about getting closer.
    "Our boy's having a chat with a suit. Hold position or follow as required?"
    I'll leave it ambiguous as to who he's texting so anyone can pick it up. Presumably we're all smart enough to have our phones on silent?

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    The gentle melody of Dorthy's "Raise Hell" cuts through the room as Lizzy fishes out her phone and looks down at the text messages.

    Hold Position.
    Unless there is a change in condition.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The man turns from the object of his examinations at the question. "Ah, you're here on Miss Cardinal's behalf. She really doesn't come this way much, seeing as how the locals... well, aren't much for her kind. Will you have tea? Come, at least introduce yourselves. Always in such a rush, your lot." Whether an answer of agreement is offered or not, the man goes to a warmer by the wall and begins preparing some. "Have you ever heard the saying 'rats from a sinking ship'? Think on that, and your answers will become clearer." After the liquid heats, which is a remarkably fast process, he returns with a tray, a pot, and some cups. "Yes, when the spies run, the wise would do well to follow. Bad things are on their heels, friends. Bad things." A cup is offered to each of you in turn. Home-brewed green tea, at a glance. "Consider how much you want to know about something that would scare off the likes of them."

    Elsewhere, one man is joined by another. Then another. Three in all begin to make their way to a certain restaurant.

    @Ardent @AustinP0027 @Fencingsax
    There are artifacts on display of a sufficiently high enough Craft to draw your attention.

    cj iwakura on
    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    "Company x3. If there's another way out you may want to use it. If they head downstairs I can be on their backs."
    If they got boxed in a fight might be unavoidable. Danny got ready to move but didn't want to give up his cover until it would be too late for the kid to sound an alarm.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Elizabeth gracefully accepts the tea and gives it a soft blow but doesn't drink it.
    "Funny you should say that.
    I said the very same about the rats."
    Her phone goes off again and she looks at the message before pointing it at Bulldog.
    "I'm Elizabeth Hailion and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She says to Li Feng Chai.
    "And I am sorry for the suddenness of our entrance.
    But we need to know what it was that scared the Nosferatu away.
    And what we do next as a society depends next on what you say."

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "Looks like the locals have sent a welcoming committee already, three so far. I’m impressed, that was pretty damn quick.” Bulldog says with a smile.

    “Gonna have to keep this short, unless they give you your space, Li Feng. Any other ways out of here?" The big man says, glancing around.

    "Name’s Bulldog.” He adds.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Alex gives the woman another smile as they are let through. He feels cocky enough to even follow it with a wink as he turns and heads into the new room. As they enter, a voice wafts out from somewhere deeper into the room, but the blonde Toreador's attention is elsewhere. A tall golden statue is there off to their left, a golden monkey resting delicately on a tree trunk, holding a diamond studded banana. It enraptured Alex's attention, pulling at that weakness within him with drew his to items of uniqueness. It wasn't necessarily beauty that drew him, but something about it had grabbed his attention and he had to fight to pull it away.

    However, the weakness had a strong grasp on him, and he drifted into his own world as the other conversed.


    Geth, roll 6d10o10h8 for Look Away, Look Away

    Look Away, Look Away:
    6d10o10h8 3 [6d10o10h8=8, 9, 3, 3, 7, 9]

    AustinP0027 on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke's eyes are drawn, implacably, to the objects strewn about this unassuming storefront. A puzzlebox has fixated him, and he mentally punches himself, knowing he needs to regain control of himself or he'll be trapped in the details of the puzzlebox for hours. The first time this had happened to him after the Embrace, he was looking at plans for Zaha Hadid's latest project. Through school these had been secret joys of him and he was horrified to realize almost eight hours later that he had been lost to the world and nearly consumed by the morning's light looking at the technical specifications.

    With concentrated will he brings his attention back to the moment, he takes in Bulldog's warning, filing it away. He wasn't a fighter, really. A few scraps in school and the basics of self-defense drilled into him by one of Magdalena's ghouls. He took the Chinese man's meaning, though.

    "We had suspected as much. We were hoping for a little more than vague platitudes, sir," he says. "It seems we're nearly out of time here."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max is lost in a simple image of a tree. Such simple brushwork, yet revealing the underlying complexity of all trees. Each line reveals a new meaning, a new truth. The world dims to just this picture of a tree. However, he knows the outside world beckons. His mind is required elsewhere.

    Geth roll 6d10o10h8

    6d10o10h8 1 [6d10o10h8=6, 8, 1, 3, 2, 7]

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "Oh, it does, does it? Curious that the future of a society so strong rests on the words of one so frail." The man allows himself a chuckle, setting the tray down with its seemingly unappreciated contents. "But very well, I shall dispense with the nuances." The man sits on the foot stool, content to take some burden off of his legs for the time being. "Your soothsayers are hunted. Something from the depths is pursuing them. The what or the why, I can not say, but it has gone on for years, decades, centuries. It has found them. It has found your city. They fled. Perhaps you should follow their lead." He clears his throat and stands at a slow pace, the act seeming to require a great effort on his part. "As to your request..." Li accommodates the biker with a motion towards the back of the store. "I try to keep one around for emergencies." A thin smile through yellowed teeth. "It will take you to the alley, which isn't without its risks in these nights."

    @Fencingsax @AustinP0027
    Although you remain entranced for the moment, you may make another attempt with your next action. Five minutes will have passed, and the successes are cumulative.

    cj iwakura on
    rpcJVoo.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke pulls out a business card and places it on the clearest corner of the table. Anyone who glances at it would be able to see it says nothing but includes his phone number. "I understand the debt that we owe. Contact me should you have need," he says, sounding as if he's reading from a script. He starts to move to the door, but stops, glancing at Max and Alex and sighing.

    "Bulldog, you may need to carry them. They're fascinated."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    A vague sound reaches Alex's ears, piercing through the veil of attention that had been drawn to the statue. "...they're fascinated.. It triggered something within him, a moment of strength to try and pull himself back.

    That strength faded, however, and he remained fixate.
    Geth, roll 6d10o10h8

    6d10o10h8 2 [6d10o10h8=3, 8, 3, 2, 2, 9]

    AustinP0027 on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "Thanks, Li Feng, much appreciated." Bulldog said, as he hoisted up Alex and Max onto a shoulder each.

    Turning to Liz, Bulldog said "Let Danny know we'll meet at the alley, and to stay out of sight."

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Elizabeth bowed her head slightly before hitting a short message to to Danny.
    "Ok, children, you can come back during your own down time.
    But be got to leave before we are victims of organized crime."

    Lizzy headed out through the back way and into the alley.

    "We got the best we can get for now.
    Split up and we'll meet back in our side of town."

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    After the final message comes through Danny waits a little longer to confirm the men's destination. When he's done he disappears into the crowd and heads off to meet the others.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    The last time the three men are seen, they are waiting outside the Chinese restaurant, for guests that seem unlikely to ever appear.

    The side door does indeed lead out to an adjacent alley, though it is thick with the pleasant aroma of the upstairs restaurant's dumpster. A worker who happens to be taking a smoke break also gives the departing group a strange look, yet isn't that fazed. Maybe someone carrying bodies out of a business isn't all that unusual.

    @Fencingsax @AustinP0027 @Ardent
    Your attachments fade once away from the shop, though you feel like you just have to go there again one day.

    @Maclay @Grunt's Ghosts
    From the corner of your eye, you see a familiar vagrant with a walking stick. He waits by the end of the alley, watching you, and smiling. No one else seems to pay him any mind.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny casts his eyes around the group to see if they notice the man. He makes a mental note to bring it up when they are in private, at least if they don't get in a confrontation right away. He tries to subtly gesture in the vagrant's direction using only his eyes before acknowledging Lizzy's suggestion and starting to leave.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex was vaguely aware of movement, and a sudden sensation of the lessening pull of the statue he had been staring at. It wasn't until Bulldog had carried him outside completely that he was able to blink himself back to normal, clearing his eyes and mind at the same time.

    "Sorry about that." He said sheepishly. "Sometimes just can't resist it." He didn't delve too deeply, they were all likely aware of the Toreador weakness. Still, he was always embarrassed when he was pulled out of his trance, especially in a setting like this where they had all really just met for the first time.

    "So, uh, what did we learn?"

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "No sweat man, we all have our demons." Bulldog said plainly, as he put both Max and Alex down.

    "More riddles, but let's get back to the van and we'll talk." He headed back toward his van, careful to avoid the marketplace.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max perks up a bit "Gods, I hate when that happens. Everytime, you think you can look away, and every time... nope"

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke nods, giving the other two Toreador a pat on the back. "This is why my apartments are basically white-on-white-on-white."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Seeing the man brings up a lot of questions into the scattered mind of Lizzy, but now wasn't the time to ask them.
    "Let's leave this place.
    So we can discuss this case."

Sign In or Register to comment.