As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

1235732

Posts

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    The group takes the long way around the block back to the van. On the way back to Elysium, they catch Danny up and discuss what to do next.

    "Thanks for the heads up out there Danny. I'm driving back to Elysium to report. Let me know if any of you want off before then." Bulldog glances at Alex. "You wanna back me up, could use a smoother talker than me in there."
    Apologies if jumping ahead too, far just want to incorporate our ooc talk back into the game.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    No objection, just wanted to ensure everyone was on the same page before proceeding.

    Although the walk is tedious, the exterior of the market proves less chaotic. The only sights are the occasional vagrant and late night locals. Tourists seem to know better than to be out and about at that time of night.

    The drive back to the main city would prove just as uneventful, if not for the radio's sudden interruption. "News is still developing on the recent gang conflicts in Chinatown. Local authorities are asking for any and all witnesses to the assault on the Tiger Spring Restaurant to call your nearest law enforcement agency. Although there were no reported casualties, employees claim the assailants, an unknown group in business attire, left with a young woman who worked at a small adjacent electronics shop. A reward is being offered, you do not have to state your name." The special report ends as abruptly as it started.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    There wasn't really enough time to do any real digging tonight, not if he wanted to get home unnoticed afterwards, but Danny figured there was time to ask a question or two.
    "I can run what we know past my... person... advisor? She's a researcher, might have come across a thing or two. Unless you want to keep things really, really quiet. Wouldn't blame you if you did. There's always at least one mole." He pauses and looks around the group "... In the Camarilla. Not here. Obviously we were all chosen because we could be trusted." He gave a quick nervous smile and gave an address where they could drop him.
    "Also, that homeless looking guy from Deke's was watching us when we left. Gotta be a part of all this."

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "Someone nabbed right after talking to us? We're on the right track. I will talk to my people, see if we can turn up anything. I will be circumspect, but they at least will know a little more about what's happening in Chinatown."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex nods at Danny and Max. "Probably need all the help we can get at the moment. At the same time, it may make sense to be a little discreet. Perhaps phrase things a little more casually when you ask. I'll accompany Bulldog back to give a report, see if we can't manage to get a little more out of the people in charge here. Seems like someone should have known that the Rats were being hunted."

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke nods, satisfied with the plan. "I think it's wise we split up and avoid being seen together for a few nights."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    After the group got out of China Town, Lizzy left and when home. Williamsburg had finally found it's hour of sleep, when the late nighter were starting to crash from too much partying or drunkenness, and the daywalkers were catching their last Zzzs before the alarmed woke them up to reality. Elizabeth sat outside on the fire escape, overlooking those few mortal souls who dared to defy the rest of the city and stay up. This mess with the Nosferatu was outside her wheelhouse, maybe outside everyone's wheelhouse. And maybe that was the point. Seemed like a Camarilla thing to do.

    She grabbed her headphones and her phone and started shifting through the top 40 hits. It was a thing she did anytime she needed to clear her mind of the world. Her sire, Chantalle, had made a living as a songwriter in the past. Lizzy knew them all, the sounds, the beats, the lyrics. She had learned to decipher the random Malkavian things that Chantalle would hide in her songs, to find the meaning beyond them. If Chantalle was still alive, and if she was going to speak to Elizabeth, she would do it through this... hopefully. But so far, nothing. The closest that Lizzy got to maybe a lead on Chantalle was "X Amount of Words" by Blue October. But it was clear to Lizzy that someone had reworked the lyrics, so Chantalle's message was lost. But the rest of the song screamed Chantalle, or Lizzy believed. It was small hope like that that gave her hope. After scanning through a dozen pop songs, Lizzy called it a night. The sky was already starting to brighten up, the first signs that dawn was approaching.

    Maybe she would seek out Sybil. Something that she said, Your Prince, made her think that Sybil might not be happy about the Tremere Reign. Maybe she was connected to the Cam power structure before, maybe she might know something. Maybe... baby... lady... save me... zzz...

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    By the time the vehicle reaches Elysium, the Music Hall has lost much of its surrounding hustle and bustle. Though people are still going out of their way to avoid its general vicinity, there are far less people out and about to even bother with it. The Harpy is no longer in attendance, but the interior seems just as poorly lit as before.

    Rather than the disinterested socialite from before, the imposing woman from the executive suite's doorway is waiting on guard, arms folded as she watches the van circle the block. It looks like it's the Sheriff's shift for the evening.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Maclay
    Ana's haven, or at very least the meeting point you're directed to, is a well-furnished study near Columbia University. It's housed within a library that is open around the clock, but is sparsely populated, and you will find Ana occupied by several historical documents strewn across a table.

    You think you see the silhouette of a vagrant along the way, but when you turn to look, there is no one there.

    @Fencingsax
    This time the brokerage is occupied, or at least it appears to be, judging by the seated silhouette behind a locked door.

    @Grunt's Ghosts
    Your attempt at a relaxing night spent with your music is uncomfortably interrupted by your phone ringing.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    As Bulldog parks the van, Alex slides out and stretches his legs a little. He caught sight of someone at the door as they had passed. He approached the door casually, expecting to see Sybil, a small quip on his lips. Instead, a different sight greeted them. The Sherrif was now standing guard. The quip died instantly, and with it, Alex's cocky demeanor. "Good evening. We haven't been formally introduced. Alex Jones, Toreador. We have some information that we should probably share. Any suggestions on someone inside we could talk with?"

    AustinP0027 on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bulldog followed Alex's lead and introduced himself. "Bobby Lenko, but everyone calls me Bulldog. Brujah."

    He adds "We were told to report back directly."

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    "Sandra. Used to be in charge of you lot, was supposed to keep you all from stirring up shit... least not too much." That comment in particular directed at Bobby, though it's followed by a vague gesture to the building behind her. "Instead I have to look after the whole damn litter. The Queen B's inside somewhere, probably trying to keep her head down in case the Far East comes looking for it. Go on. And I hope you didn't bring any of those sons of bitches on your tail." The Sheriff's attention goes back to the road, keeping an eye out for that very eventuality.

    Contrary to the woman's claims, the Prince is not far from the entrance inside, engaged in conversation with the Seneschal. While Kenneth remains dressed for the atmosphere, Julia's crimson robes could not be more out of place. The Prince seems clad more for a ritual than for a formal evening. "See to it they fall back in line, then. I do not have patience for their indecisiveness." Kenneth bows his head, and departs, and a smile easily finds its way to the Tremere's face as she turns to the arriving pair. "Ah, you returned. Some of you, at least. I trust all went well?" She does not seem troubled as to the whereabouts of the others. Either she knows of their safety, or is simply unconcerned with knowing.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny finds his eyes drawn to every little movement in the library. Upon reaching the desk he starts to pace a little. He isn't sure how much or little to share.
    "The higher ups want me to do some digging into Nosferatu stuff. Oh. Sorry. Hi, how's you're evening? But yeah, I guess I'm expendable, because there's already been some suspicious types nipping at my ankles."
    He stopped and rested against the end of a bookshelf.
    "Don't have much of anywhere to start... Do you recall much about trouble tied to the Nosferatu? Historical enemies... Any recommended reading? Sorry. Babbling again."

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    The phone ringing breaks Lizzy's drift into the abyss. Looking at it, she sees that it's not a number she recognizes.

    "Elizabeth Hailion, Golden Sound Productions" she says into the phone. She pulls her head away and covers the mic on the phone and follows it up with "Deconstructions" just to satisfy the Malkavian imbalance that demands her to rhyme.

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke, in the meantime, returns to the Opticon, entering through the employee access on the side street, slipping through the administrative offices before taking the service lift up to the 70th floor lounge, where he switches to the residential lift that can take him up to his apartments.

    It wasn't paranoia on his part. Just a bit of precaution. Healthy, he supposed, given that they had actually been pursued this evening.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max walks knocks on the door of the Brokerage main office, hoping there might be a vouple of agents there. "Is Sarasvat home? I need to consult". As usual, he goes back to his desk and starts inspecting the database on Chinatown, updating and correcting as he goes. His responsibilities to the brokerage require him to.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Maclay
    The woman diverts her attention from the book, watching you over the rims of her glasses with a cold stare. This was nothing new, but it didn't make it any less irritating.
    "Slow it down a notch. What suspicious types? Historical enemies? Several. Any documentation would be in their warrens, and I don't envy someone going down there without a guide."
    You hear a faint ringing of static in your ears, making some of her speech difficult to hear.

    @Grunt's Ghosts
    An unknown number. You hear a thick burst of distortion on the other end of the phone, intermingled with a distorted attempt at dialogue. "The.... -ats... too deep. Something... -oke. Hunting them. Hunting you. Turn back. Return to the light. Or the shadow will pursue and consume you next." Your ear aches from a sudden loud burst of static, and the line goes dead.

    @Ardent
    The half-asleep clerk from before is still there, only the student is wide awake at the sound of your approach. "Oh, Mr. Braithwaite! Someone was here for you... didn't want to leave a name, though. Just this." She slides a sealed envelope across the desk. It is emblazoned with a jade green seal. "Tall guy in a dark suit." She goes back to a nearby textbook, muttering something about not even getting a number.

    @Fencingsax
    The young intern unfortunate enough to be manning the office gives you an unsure shrug. Then, as if on cue, the desk phone rings.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke frowns as he looks over the envelope. As an accomplished humanities graduate (and museum lurker), he can take a reasonable guess at the jade green seal's meaning. But the nondescript nature of the courier (to which Deke rolls his eyes, noting that most of the time that could describe him), he takes a moment to take a very close look at it.
    Geth, roll 5d10o10h8 for Alertness + Perception + Auspex

    Alertness + Perception + Auspex:
    5d10o10h8 1 [5d10o10h8=8, 6, 7, 6, 7]

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Ardent
    While nothing about the envelope appears harmful, you do detect the scent of blood; fairly warm.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    His eyes darted around the room looking for the source of the noise.
    "Like Harding? What?" Danny started examining a desk lamp. "Is this new? When's the last time you swept?" He put an hear to the bulb, frowning.
    "Suits. Guys in suits. Don't have... wait... warrenSSS. Like in the sewers? I'd need to find like a guide or something... I've probably said too much. I'm being careful, but I think there's magicks involved, don't have any meaningful defense... I shouldn't stay long. Are there Camarilla records I could be looking at? Or just general Nosferatu info that lackies like me wouldn't be privy to?"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Sorry to intrude, my Prince. We seemed to have found at least a little something in our first search. We talked with someone in Chinatown who had some information. " Alex paused briefly, taking a moment to collect his thoughts. "According to them, the Nosferatu left because something was hunting them. Specifically the wording was, 'Something from the depths'"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    As the line when dead, Lizzy looked back at her phone. She knew these kinds of calls. Calling back would be useless, it's already been disconnected. But it was a phone call, which meant there was a way to find its origin. Too bad she wasn't a nerd, otherwise this would be easy. She thought about her old contacts in Seattle, but her programmer friend hadn't survived the fallout of the Prince's death. But while that call could be called a warning, it was also a signal flare. It just depended on how you looked at it.

    But how to find it... that would be difficult.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max looks at the intern, who shrugs again, and answers the phone.

    "Brokerage, how may I help you? This is Max"

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog nodded, adding. "He said they had been hunted for centuries, and that it has found them, and our city."

    "As for trouble, there was a lookout, who I scared off, unharmed. Three 'locals' in suits came looking for us, but we slipped out the back. They took a young woman who was acting as our contact's bouncer hostage, according to a radio report. She did not have our names but saw all of us except for Danny. Not sure how many of us the lookout spotted." Bulldog said, used to giving out the details of an operation. Better to hear any issues from them than for the Prince to hear about them the hard way.
    Apologies for the late post, work was busy.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Maclay
    "The sewer rats are the best at secrecy for a reason. You won't find out a thing if they don't want you to know, unless you plan on digging around in their filthy nests." Her disdain for the clan is clear in her tone if not her choice of words. "...what are you looking for?" There is no trace of the earlier sound.

    @Fencingsax
    A familiar voice is on the other line. Sarasvat sounds occupied, though it is unclear with what. "Busy night. Is it anything Steven can help you with?" Clearly referring to the intern there, who seems just about as clueless about the inner workings of the brokerage as someone off the street would be.


    "I see." The robed woman takes this information into account. She considers the words as she traces the fingers of her right hand across the front of her left shoulder. Either an idle tick or some unfathomable magical gesture. "It's safe to say they know who you are, and who sent you. If you were in immediate danger, most likely you would all have already met your ends." Despite the ominous comment, she maintains perfect calm while speaking. "I believe it was a mere warning to keep out of their territory. Hopefully we can indulge their wishes, and it will stay at that. As for the core issue..." Julia pauses, as if weighing her options.

    "I have my suspicious as to what this could mean. The Nosferatu have no shortage of enemies, as do we all. The question is whether or not they pose the city a threat as well. I will look into this, and see what more can be discerned about this 'hunter' of theirs. For now, I advise you all to return to your havens, and maintain a low profile. Should anyone or anything attempt to bring you or your domiciles to harm, you have my leave to destroy them, and bring me their remains." On that note, she smiles. "If there is nothing else, myself and the city thank you for your services. May the sun rise bring you no harm, and the sunset allow us to meet again. Rockefeller Center will do, if that is agreeable for you and your fellows. Will midnight serve as a reasonable hour?" Though the question is open-ended, it seems questionable whether it allows for an alternative answer.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    "It will, Prince Julia. I will tell the others. Thank you." Bulldog said.

    Once they were dismissed, Bulldog relayed the infomation to the others via text message.




    J is going to look into the rat hunter. She thinks the local suits made us, no problem.

    Says to go home and lay low. If anyone fucks with you or your pad, smoke 'em and bring her the leftovers.

    She wants us at RC (by where we met) tomorrow at midnight, no excuses.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "I don't know if it's anything real yet. I'll gather more information and let you know. See if I can just get a background reading or something"

    Max isn't exactly comfortable with just blabbing about what's going on to anyone. He doesn't know Steven like he does some of the other Brokers. He'll keep it to himself for now. Max's phone vibrates, and he looks at the incoming text.

    "I will let you know if I get anything more solid. Just keep your ears open, I'll contact you soon with more"

    Max immediately heads to his basement, and prepares for another meeting at Radio City.

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny finds himself somewhat at a loss.
    "I... I'm looking for something. Answers to questions that I don't even know to ask yet. I guess... I mean you've got ties to the higher-ups, maybe just... if someone starts talking about Nosferatu stuff, if it's not 'Classified' maybe I'd be interested in hearing it? I should go I'm wasting your time. Sorry. Thanks."
    Feeling very uncertain of himself, Danny forces himself to leave.
    En route he receives the text from Bulldog and tries to make his trip home slightly more convoluted than usual, hopefully not cutting it too close.

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke finally works up the courage and opens his letter, hoping he isn't ripping into a trap.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @Ardent
    There is no trap to be found. There is simply a well-folded letter that appears to have been penned with the calligraphy of warm blood.

    You may claim heritage to this country, but it is no longer yours alone. Keep to your havens and leave us to ours.
    Further intrusions will not be tolerated. When next you breach upon our territorial rights, we will respond in force.
    And we will not leave empty-handed, Childe of Caine.


    The crimson text ends, and trails off into a fine line of cursive penned in standard black ink. The Triad of the Thousand Whispers


    The next evening does not present a pleasant awakening. The sounds of sirens sound more prevalent than ever, and any attempt to tune into a radio or television is met with news of special reports dominating the airwaves. Although the reporters seem as unsure of the cause as the civilians in sight, the suspected cause is widespread gang warfare, likely over a turf dispute. The signs of smoke and distant flame from the window are just as telling as the broadcasts; the streets have become a very dangerous place to be.

    cj iwakura on
    rpcJVoo.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog spends a little time watching the news, seeing if any of his usual hangouts, or places he was at last night pop up in the reports. Then he calls up the rest of the crew. He goes into more detail than the text yesterday, and offers to a ride the midnight meeting with the Prince to anyone that needs it.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Elizabeth woke that night to an odd sound for Williamsburg. Gunfire.

    Jumping straight out of bed, she grabbed a bat that she had next to her bed. Looking out of her windows, she tried to see what the source of it was, but nothing came to view. The streets of this town was empty, everyone was indoors trying to hide from the shoot out.

    Lizzy looked at her phone. A few text messages, a missed phone call. It was 8:23pm. She was needed at the Rockefeller Center at midnight. Without cabs, it would take her an hour and half just to walk there. Assuming that she didn't run into problems before then. Maybe she could get away with carrying the bat with her...

    Bulldog's call answers the ride question. If he's willing to drive out to Williamsburg then she's willing to wait it out. But maybe she would still the the bat.

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny was out the door the moment he realized the state of the city. He was frustrated that his schedule was being thrown off so thoroughly and he had traveled several blocks before finally being able to flag a ride. Once the cab started moving his phone started buzzing. After hearing out Bulldog, Danny declined the ride offer and tried to settle his mood over the course of the trip.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex had been sitting in his apartment watching the news when Bulldog's text came through. He quickly typed a reply Yeah, I could use a ride. Be careful to watch for someone following you. Something is going on in this city and I fear we're connected to it.

    As he quickly dressed himself, his mind ran over the previous evening. They had dig into a lead, but the information that they got in return wasn't all that enlightening. At least, it wasn't so important that it should have triggered something like this to happen in the city. Still, it was too much of a coincidence that the night after they found out something was hunting the Nosferatu, the streets erupted into violence.

    Alex finished dressing and sat back on his sofa, awaiting Bulldog, eyes glued to the TV to attempt to pick up any bit of information that would help explain this mess.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max walks to the subway, keeping an eye out for anything nasty. The entire city seems to be under a pall of... something unnamable. It's almost as if it's about to tear itself apart. Always best to be careful in these situations, plot to kill/take over the camarilla or no. He heads to RCMH, leaving himself plenty pf time to spare.

    I'm good he texts back. Be careful

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I will be waiting downstairs, and thank you, Deke replies to Bulldog.

    Deke slides the letter into the inside pocket of his jacket, adjusting his tie and looking himself over in the mirror. A bit pale, but presentable. The light gray suit would mask a bit of that, and the crimson vest would draw the eye away anyway. He'd learned quickly how not to stand out for the wrong reasons.

    He was downstairs, running a hand through his unruly hair and vaguely watching the television. It seemed something had erupted in the city. It was good to be with the crowd on nights like this.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog takes Max and Alex's advice, and keeps an eye open for tails as he picks up everyone who asked for a ride, as well as roping them into the effort. Bulldog also makes a number of unnecessary detours and false signals, especially on the way to Rockefeller Center to meet with the Prince at midnight.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    Despite the signs of chaos upon awakening, the journey to the Center is largely uneventful. The influence is certainly felt along the way, though. Passing police cars, signs of distant smoke... and every so often, a fight taking place on a street corner. Sometimes ending as quickly as it started due to a firearm's aid.

    By the time you arrive, any trace of the city's conflict is well behind you. The immediate area seems completely unaffected, apart from some locals seeming on edge due to the news of the troubles in the adjacent boroughs. Though exactly which building you've been invited to seems unclear at first, the gap finally narrows. One of the outdoors sculptures is decorated with a telltale of array of geometric shapes, and begin to flicker with a neon glow as you approach.

    Within the lobby is a long, clinical corridor with two elevators on either side, and a simple metal and glass desk with a suited man sitting at the far end. He looks more suited to being in an executive role rather than a secretarial one.

    Behind him along the wall are a series of three-dimensional letters encased within a frame, spelling out 'Cardinal Trinity Enterprises'.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog waits for one of the others to speak up, but none seem willing. So he walks up to the man behind the glass desk.

    "We're here to see the Boss. She's expecting us."

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny manages to find his way in while Bulldog speaks to the unknown man. He silently joins the group, occasionally turning an eye to the main entrance.

Sign In or Register to comment.