As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Oooh, I have a couple recommendations for the OP. I guess I can get images/etc. when i get home from work:

Mysterium

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Me and my pal just finally gave up on Imperial Assault core campaign after a week of struggling with it. The rebels never won a single missions (out of the 4 we did). It took us a few missions to really get the rules hammered out, which is expected( FFG), but after two more missions of the rebel player losing to freaking DOORS, I couldn't begrudge him wanting to shelve the game.

The mission we played last night was Means of Production and like...it took him 3 turns to get out of the starting area. This is after we implemented a designer approved house rule that if you fail two story missions in a row, you still get all the win rewards. I buffed the health of a door from 6 to 9 and well..that was that?

Something is going critically wrong if it took that long to get through the first door on Means of Production. That mission is short enough that it's kinda formulaic:

Turn 1: whittle down starting forces, stack up in front of first door
    Turn 2: open first door, move to second door
    Turn 3: open second door, and start moving towards third door
    Turn 4: finish moving to third door, open it
    Turn 5: win

Unfortunately, if the rebel player is having a bad time now, it's going to be even worse now that the Imperial player has Imperial Industry. Stuns for days :( I'm sorry that IA didn't click for you and your pal.

My starting forces were Stormtroopers (With the Heavy Armor upgrade I'd earned, as well as Shock Troopers), A Probe Droid, and I used the extra Threat for an Elite Probe Droid.
    Round one I focused down Jyn with my troopers and Probe droid until she was wounded. I Would shoot then move in close, but spread out to not get hit by Havoc Shot from Fen. The rebels were able to bring down my normal probe droid.
    Round two I brought out the imperial officer, who promptly died (no shock there). Lost some troopers. Turn three I bought back two troopers and a campaign effect stunned one of the rebels. Then the e-webb opened up and...well....at that point even trying to run past(skipping door 2) just wasn't gonna do it. It's a shame too, because this 4th mission I THINK we finally had all the rules we'd been effing up settled? But it was a total rout.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I feel like Quadropolis is an easy recommend for new gamers, but deep enough for established players.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Arboretum arrived one day early, so my wife and I got to play it last night. Holy shit is that game full of terrible decisions. I won, by 1 point, and spent 90% of the game wrestling with whether or not to hold onto my 6-7 of maple on the chance she had the 8-5 in hand, or just burn the maples and hope to do better with something else.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I feel like Quadropolis is an easy recommend for new gamers, but deep enough for established players.

Seconded. Haven't given expert rules a try yet but my two basic games have been filled with interesting decisions.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oooh, I have a couple recommendations for the OP. I guess I can get images/etc. when i get home from work:

Mysterium

The BF is head over heels in love with Mysterium. Whenever he sees the box he hugs it.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Has anyone picked up the Archer version of Love Letter?

I'm curious as to who gets which abilities.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nothing like shit hitting the fan and getting an Executive Order to drop some nukes on a bunch of Basestars... only to fire a nuke at some civiliian ships instead and then revealing yourself to be a toaster.

I'm not always a Cylon, but I've made enough of an impression to always be accused of being a Cylon.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Mysterium

Added!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Nothing like shit hitting the fan and getting an Executive Order to drop some nukes on a bunch of Basestars... only to fire a nuke at some civiliian ships instead and then revealing yourself to be a toaster.

I'm not always a Cylon, but I've made enough of an impression to always be accused of being a Cylon.

Every time I've played it, everyone accuses everyone else of being a Cylon.

Like, constantly.

The paranoiac din is incredible.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Me and my pal just finally gave up on Imperial Assault core campaign after a week of struggling with it. The rebels never won a single missions (out of the 4 we did). It took us a few missions to really get the rules hammered out, which is expected( FFG), but after two more missions of the rebel player losing to freaking DOORS, I couldn't begrudge him wanting to shelve the game.

The mission we played last night was Means of Production and like...it took him 3 turns to get out of the starting area. This is after we implemented a designer approved house rule that if you fail two story missions in a row, you still get all the win rewards. I buffed the health of a door from 6 to 9 and well..that was that?

Something is going critically wrong if it took that long to get through the first door on Means of Production. That mission is short enough that it's kinda formulaic:

Turn 1: whittle down starting forces, stack up in front of first door
    Turn 2: open first door, move to second door
    Turn 3: open second door, and start moving towards third door
    Turn 4: finish moving to third door, open it
    Turn 5: win

Unfortunately, if the rebel player is having a bad time now, it's going to be even worse now that the Imperial player has Imperial Industry. Stuns for days :( I'm sorry that IA didn't click for you and your pal.

My starting forces were Stormtroopers (With the Heavy Armor upgrade I'd earned, as well as Shock Troopers), A Probe Droid, and I used the extra Threat for an Elite Probe Droid.
    Round one I focused down Jyn with my troopers and Probe droid until she was wounded. I Would shoot then move in close, but spread out to not get hit by Havoc Shot from Fen. The rebels were able to bring down my normal probe droid.
    Round two I brought out the imperial officer, who promptly died (no shock there). Lost some troopers. Turn three I bought back two troopers and a campaign effect stunned one of the rebels. Then the e-webb opened up and...well....at that point even trying to run past(skipping door 2) just wasn't gonna do it. It's a shame too, because this 4th mission I THINK we finally had all the rules we'd been effing up settled? But it was a total rout.

Assault Armor stormies are tanky little bastards. Probably not worth fighting at that stage of the campaign unless you can devote enough attention to get the entire group off the map. As a rebel player knowing nothing beyond the five round time limit, I probably would have tried to eliminate the Elite Probe Droid in the first round, and maybe also the regular Probe Droid. It will probably take about three attacks to finish an Elite Probe Droid, maybe four if you're unlucky. I don't remember the exact setup of that map, but it's probably possible for Jyn to move up to the regular Probe Droid and shoot it, then finish it with Quick Draw when it activates. That'd leave one hero for starting on the stormies (not recommended) or getting in position at the door.

That E-web's position is a little awkward. It has a nontrivial chance to miss if it's firing out through the first door, since the range is ~7 squares, though you can mitigate that with Show of Force. If I remember correctly, there are also a few squares next to the second door that the E-web doesn't have line of sight to, so that's a good hidey-hole for a hero or two while they're working on the second door (or someone can try to run around, as you noted).

eta: I assume that was at least the fifth mission of the campaign, if you had 5 xp of upgrades (Shock Troopers + Assault Armor)

Fry on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Ah man. Looks like I goofed and shouldn't have had that upgrade, now that I recount the XP. Probably swapped it for an influence by accident. It wasn't a ton of extra damage, but still. Ugh.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    eta: as mentioned above, Executive Order wins or loses games. Try your best not to Executive Order the person immediately after you in the turn order if you can help it (so they can't do bad stuff and reveal as a Cylon and then take a Cylon turn all at once). Once all of the Cylons have been revealed, XO people with abandon - generating extra actions is very powerful, especially for locations like Press Room, President's Office, Command, or Armory (when applicable).

Only filthy robots use a next-O. Are you a robot? No? Then don't XO the next player.

State of Emergency when you and the next player are both robots is totally legit, though. Oh no I had no idea!

In my experience, robots don't play Executive Orders ever, because most of the other players are humans, and why would you help a filthy human? :P

If you are a character who gets green cards and you aren't XOing nearly every turn, welcome to the brig, you obvious sandbagging cylon you.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »
    eta: as mentioned above, Executive Order wins or loses games. Try your best not to Executive Order the person immediately after you in the turn order if you can help it (so they can't do bad stuff and reveal as a Cylon and then take a Cylon turn all at once). Once all of the Cylons have been revealed, XO people with abandon - generating extra actions is very powerful, especially for locations like Press Room, President's Office, Command, or Armory (when applicable).

Only filthy robots use a next-O. Are you a robot? No? Then don't XO the next player.

State of Emergency when you and the next player are both robots is totally legit, though. Oh no I had no idea!

In my experience, robots don't play Executive Orders ever, because most of the other players are humans, and why would you help a filthy human? :P

If you are a character who gets green cards and you aren't XOing nearly every turn, welcome to the brig, you obvious sandbagging cylon you.

I want to save the Declare Emergencies for if we get close!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Arboretum arrived one day early, so my wife and I got to play it last night. Holy shit is that game full of terrible decisions. I won, by 1 point, and spent 90% of the game wrestling with whether or not to hold onto my 6-7 of maple on the chance she had the 8-5 in hand, or just burn the maples and hope to do better with something else.

haha yea, this mirrors my wife and i's experience. just staring at your cards and grimacing constantly. its a bit less brutal with more players, but still rough.

Yeah, the only reason I won was because she had the 1-5 of willows in a line, and so I just discarded the 6 I had been holding on to. I knew she had the 8, and I figured she probably had the 7 to, so holding the 6 wasn't doing anything. She didn't pick it up (and berated herself later for that), and the next turn I pulled the 7 of willows off the draw deck, scooped that 6 back up, and then just prayed that she didn't score too many points in other places.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You need more game recommendations for the OP, it seems? Alright!

Red Dragon Inn
    Adventurers have downtime too, and after their latest dungeon dive, they retire to the Red Dragon Inn to brag about their travels, flex their muscles, gamble, and drink.

7s785yedx6eg.jpg

vuevbuyivrsg.jpg

Each character is a little different, with some like Fiona whittling away at others' fortitude and keeping from getting drunk, or Gerki being a great gambler. The wizard Zot and his familiar Pooki add a bit of unpredictability to the mix since Pooki's mood can change. The characters have their own decks, and you use those to be the last adventurer standing, because everyone else is too drunk, too injured, or broke! There are five volumes of Red Dragon Inn available, all with different characters, plus individual packs with new characters, and each one can interact with the other. New characters have included Pooki as a separate character, the summoner Zariah, and the best character of all time: Wizgille, the Gnome Artificer.

34qpadld7hmf.jpg

I adore this game. Everyone should own at least two editions of it.

Well. Let's say, hypothetically, I wanted this game. I really don't; I never buy games because of this thread. But anyway, which version would you recommend starting with? Just the first?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Shadowfire wrote: »
      You need more game recommendations for the OP, it seems? Alright!

Red Dragon Inn
      Adventurers have downtime too, and after their latest dungeon dive, they retire to the Red Dragon Inn to brag about their travels, flex their muscles, gamble, and drink.

7s785yedx6eg.jpg

vuevbuyivrsg.jpg

Each character is a little different, with some like Fiona whittling away at others' fortitude and keeping from getting drunk, or Gerki being a great gambler. The wizard Zot and his familiar Pooki add a bit of unpredictability to the mix since Pooki's mood can change. The characters have their own decks, and you use those to be the last adventurer standing, because everyone else is too drunk, too injured, or broke! There are five volumes of Red Dragon Inn available, all with different characters, plus individual packs with new characters, and each one can interact with the other. New characters have included Pooki as a separate character, the summoner Zariah, and the best character of all time: Wizgille, the Gnome Artificer.

34qpadld7hmf.jpg

I adore this game. Everyone should own at least two editions of it.

Well. Let's say, hypothetically, I wanted this game. I really don't; I never buy games because of this thread. But anyway, which version would you recommend starting with? Just the first?

Each iteration introduces more complex character abilities/decks, but they all play nicely with each other, so choose whatever theme you like to start with.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Rock on.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
        So my friend is planning to pick up Tail Feathers and it looks pretty awesome. I've just got two questions I can't really find the answer to:

1) Is 2-4 players a '2 players but I guess here's some team play rules' kinda deal or does it actually support 4

2) Is it going to be base game and expansions or wind up as a full on x-wing style business model?

3) Also I guess as a bonus how cool is Mice and Mystics because the art looks kinda gorgeous.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
        I just found out Steamforged won't be at the upcoming con. :( Oh well, I'll still attend to see live demos of fancy board games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
      • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
        ugh played like trash and got 4-0'd and eliminated

brutal

ah well, lesson learned, gotta practice more

narwhal wrote:
        Why am I Terran?
        My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
      • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
        Isn't Red Dragon Inn famously awful? I've heard it mentioned alongside munchkin quite a few times

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
      • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
        So my friend is planning to pick up Tail Feathers and it looks pretty awesome. I've just got two questions I can't really find the answer to:

1) Is 2-4 players a '2 players but I guess here's some team play rules' kinda deal or does it actually support 4

2) Is it going to be base game and expansions or wind up as a full on x-wing style business model?

3) Also I guess as a bonus how cool is Mice and Mystics because the art looks kinda gorgeous.

It's basically two player.

It won't be an X-Wing style model. That said, I wish I'd bought £x worth of X-Wing instead of Tail Feathers (and I did, later on). It does that Plaid Hat thing (see also: Ashes) where they sort of get the genre in broad strokes, but either don't really get what makes it good in the first place or streamline so aggressively that they cut out all the interesting stuff along the way.

It's not very good, is my point. Lovely components, but boring, relatively simplistic game.

I'm not a fan of the X-Wing release model, but if you're just playing casually you can use a squad builder to proxy the pilot and upgrade cards and only buy the models you want.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
        Awww man, cross posting from the critically failed thread over in G&T >_<

So we managed to get a 6 man game of Eclipse up and running on Tuesday, with the four of us that played the other day and two new guys (both new to euro-style board gaming also).

Since none of us knew what we were doing anyway, we randomly drew races and just sat down where we were standing. Letting the two newest guys go first (just happened they were sitting next to each other).

I drew the Descendents of Draco, who seem to have some seriously awesome perks for the early game. Those being that you can look at two tiles for each explore action (playing one, or discarding both) and I can occupy any tile with Ancients on it (but not take the discovery tile located there until I kill them). I managed to luck out and get an insanely good start with 5 tiles connected to my starting hex having an Ancient on it. Each Ancient basically acts like a cruiser for me, since anyone else moving there will have to attack it before taking the hex off me.

As such I took a massive lead in terms of economy early on, pretty much doubling the income of any of the other players. Unfortunately for me, my neighbour took notice of this and starting revving everyone up to attack me and take me down. Said revving only increased as he drunk all the beer that he'd bought for everyone to share (which no-one else ending up drinking :biggrin:).

We actually ended up finishing a turn short (having been playing for about 5 hours already!), but some epic battles were thrown down as my two neighbours sacked up and invaded me from two directions. In hindsight I made a pretty big blunder by splitting my fleet to take them both on, that combined with some pretty atrocious rolling lost me all my ships (with blunder number 2 being that I should have retreated when the battles turned south). Still managed to squeak out a victory by 2 points by holding onto the centre tile. Would have been nice to play the last turn out, since I had enough research to buy the +3 targeting computers. So things would have got very interesting for the final conflicts.

I think the next game will be the "proper" game, seeing as we now know all the races various strengths and weaknesses. One thing I'm eager to try out is a bit more early battling and everything that goes along with it. Folks left huge holes in their defences and yet no-one fought anyone until turn 7. Forcing someones hand towards military rather than economical research will have a massive impact on their game. I for example was just able to turtle up, research the two techs that give you extra influence and snowball so hard.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
        Isn't Red Dragon Inn famously awful? I've heard it mentioned alongside munchkin quite a few times

I've heard similar. One play I watched made it seem entertaining, but I can see where it's probably best when played after a few drinks. I think that was the base game though, so I don't know if the expansions have corrected for some of the issues.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        ArcSyn wrote: »

I've heard similar. One play I watched made it seem entertaining, but I can see where it's probably best when played after a few drinks. I think that was the base game though, so I don't know if the expansions have corrected for some of the issues.

It is much more of a social game than a strategic one.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
        AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
      • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
        Campy wrote: »
        Awww man, cross posting from the critically failed thread over in G&T >_<

So we managed to get a 6 man game of Eclipse up and running on Tuesday, with the four of us that played the other day and two new guys (both new to euro-style board gaming also).

Since none of us knew what we were doing anyway, we randomly drew races and just sat down where we were standing. Letting the two newest guys go first (just happened they were sitting next to each other).

I drew the Descendents of Draco, who seem to have some seriously awesome perks for the early game. Those being that you can look at two tiles for each explore action (playing one, or discarding both) and I can occupy any tile with Ancients on it (but not take the discovery tile located there until I kill them). I managed to luck out and get an insanely good start with 5 tiles connected to my starting hex having an Ancient on it. Each Ancient basically acts like a cruiser for me, since anyone else moving there will have to attack it before taking the hex off me.

As such I took a massive lead in terms of economy early on, pretty much doubling the income of any of the other players. Unfortunately for me, my neighbour took notice of this and starting revving everyone up to attack me and take me down. Said revving only increased as he drunk all the beer that he'd bought for everyone to share (which no-one else ending up drinking :biggrin:).

We actually ended up finishing a turn short (having been playing for about 5 hours already!), but some epic battles were thrown down as my two neighbours sacked up and invaded me from two directions. In hindsight I made a pretty big blunder by splitting my fleet to take them both on, that combined with some pretty atrocious rolling lost me all my ships (with blunder number 2 being that I should have retreated when the battles turned south). Still managed to squeak out a victory by 2 points by holding onto the centre tile. Would have been nice to play the last turn out, since I had enough research to buy the +3 targeting computers. So things would have got very interesting for the final conflicts.

I think the next game will be the "proper" game, seeing as we now know all the races various strengths and weaknesses. One thing I'm eager to try out is a bit more early battling and everything that goes along with it. Folks left huge holes in their defences and yet no-one fought anyone until turn 7. Forcing someones hand towards military rather than economical research will have a massive impact on their game. I for example was just able to turtle up, research the two techs that give you extra influence and snowball so hard.

Glad you had a good time, even with it going long and being new to the game. It is often recommended that everyone start as humans at first, but it's certainly not required. And you're right... getting into early skirmishes can get you some good rewards before all the best ones are taken. I quite like it, but it's not always the most intuitive game to win.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
        jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
        My BoardGameGeek profile
        Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
      • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
        Played Seasons again last night and I'm pretty sure this is my wife's favorite game and at least 30% of that is the card art.

The other game couple we play with has played it before with us so we used all the cards this time and yeah, that draft is WAAAAAYYYYY more important with some of the potential combos you can get set up.

I demolished everyone (by crystals alone!) with some good crystal stealing cards from the first year that just kept me going the whole game. I will say, I think 3 players is the perfect size for it. 4 just takes about 45 minutes longer than you want.

Seasons - still a neat game that I like.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
        Carcassonne is by far my favorite. I have most of the expansions.

Other great games:
        Colt Express
        Zooloretto
        New York 1901
        Takenoko
        Mysterium
        Splendor
        Cacao
        Isle of Skye

Our latest addition is Saloon Tycoon. It was a kickstarter game. We love it so far.

NNID = Zepp914
        How good is Isle of Skye if I'm kind of over Carcassonne?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
        Magic Pink wrote: »

I got a crack at it a few weeks ago. It's pretty solid, and the fact that the objectives for scoring shift every game makes it feel fresher.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

Then you won't like it. It is another tile laying game, but you score different points for different things each round. The things change so each game is a little different.

Cacao is another tile laying game. Tile laying games are my favorites, but they aren't for everyone.

NNID = Zepp914
        I like tile laying games. I've just played Carcassonne to death.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

It is WAAAAYYY better than Munchkin. I hate Munchkin and I would happily play Red Dragon Inn. In some ways it fulfills the promise that Munchkin doesn't, it's a short light game that plays fast, has a lot of 'take that' moments, but doesn't overstay its welcome. Games are like 20 minutes. And there actually is a little bit of strategy involved, based on the character you play.

sig.gif
      • jclastjclast Registered User regular

I really like Tsuro. It's quick enough that my kids are into it the whole time we're playing and it's simple enough that I don't have to eliminate any rules.

camo_sig2.png
        jclast wrote: »

I really like Tsuro. It's quick enough that my kids are into it the whole time we're playing and it's simple enough that I don't have to eliminate any rules.

Do you guys typically play multiple rounds or is "the whole time we're playing" indicative of its usual 15 minute session time? Just wondering. :)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
        I don't feel like Isle of Skye really fits the "tile laying" mold at all. Sure, that aspect exists, but most of the decision-making is based on setting prices and purchasing tiles, not on deciding where the tiles will go (that part is often pretty obvious).

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
        JonBob wrote: »
        I don't feel like Isle of Skye really fits the "tile laying" mold at all. Sure, that aspect exists, but most of the decision-making is based on setting prices and purchasing tiles, not on deciding where the tiles will go (that part is often pretty obvious).

Depends on the scoring elements. I definitely screwed up an early placement in my first game that ended up costing me later. I'd agree that the auction / denial system is where the meat of the game is, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

It is WAAAAYYY better than Munchkin. I hate Munchkin and I would happily play Red Dragon Inn. In some ways it fulfills the promise that Munchkin doesn't, it's a short light game that plays fast, has a lot of 'take that' moments, but doesn't overstay its welcome. Games are like 20 minutes. And there actually is a little bit of strategy involved, based on the character you play.

Red Dragon Inn isn't my first choice, but if my choices were play munchkin, or lose my primary hand and play Red Dragon Inn, I'd probably go for Red Dragon Inn.