• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    That postapocalyptic setting is coming early this year! <3
    d805aeeee6.png

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Holy fuck balls

That's like straight up, bold faced, evil right there.

That's like, bad sci fi film evil.

Like I wanna go on an adventure to tear down that government and if it involved a magic sword to defeat the villain, I wouldn't be surprised.

I say again holy fuck balls

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    And let me guess, his approval rating is something ridiculous like 99% right?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Even as the death toll rose, a July poll by Pulse Asia put Duterte's approval rating at 91 percent.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/04/as-bodies-pile-up-in-philippines-many-fear-to-talk-about-dutertes-war.html

highest in the history of the Philippines

• Options

Got elected, and from my understanding, this was the fucking platform.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Not to mention when live with a public policy of "it's okay to kill people if they're bad", you probably don't want to speak out against that leader, lest you be determined to be "bad".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Just, holy shit, that's fucking insane.

Last person to even get kind of a reputation for eating his enemies was Vlad the fucking Impaler. He became a mythical fucking creature in our lore. This dude's straight up promising to outdo fucking Dracula on the fucking eating people issue.

WTF

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Not to mention when live with a public policy of "it's okay to kill people if they're bad", you probably don't want to speak out against that leader, lest you be determined to be "bad".

kTXuFki.png

http://time.com/4453587/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-dictator-impunity-marcos/

yeah I'm not sure there's a way for the phillipines to get rid of him outside of a violent coup

Brolo on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am picturing said coup to go something like the end of Scarface

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    duterte

erdogan

trump

2016: year of the strongman

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    duterte

erdogan

trump

Don't forget the constant side-order of Putin.
    I also heard that Xi Jinping had some good ol' cleansing of the ranks at the start of the year, plus dissidents and civvies not knowing what's good for them having a grand old time, but not much noise of that here in the west.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    duterte

erdogan

trump

Bowie

Prince

Rickman

Wilder

2016: the year the light left the world

(Lemmy got out early)

Sleep on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    I think it's strange you mention Jill Stein as a candidate but don't even mention Harambe who is polling better than her. The candidate BIG MEDIA doesn't want you to know about.

Candidates must be:
    Alive
    Human
    Over 35
    A natural born citizen of the United States of America
    Resident for not less than 14 years at time of running

Where in the constitution does it say they have to be human? I get that natural born citizen implies human but still...

Sounds like something a synth would say.

How dare you call me a synth! You can kiss my shiny metal uhhh I mean my pink meaty arse!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    As someone with family in the Philippines, it's honestly been heading this way for a while. The poverty and violence is crushing, large parts of the country are failed state level bad.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    ~Double Post~

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Britain to build 13ft high wall in Calais to block refugees from entering the UK
    The UK is going to build a 13ft wall in Calais to block refugees from crossing the channel, the Government has announced.

"People are still getting through," immigration minister Robert Goodwill told the Home Affairs Select Committee.

"We have done the fence, now we are doing the wall."

Here we fuckin' go.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Britain to build 13ft high wall in Calais to block refugees from entering the UK
    The UK is going to build a 13ft wall in Calais to block refugees from crossing the channel, the Government has announced.

"People are still getting through," immigration minister Robert Goodwill told the Home Affairs Select Committee.

Here we fuckin' go.

This is also a safety measure as people attempting this crossing are boarding moving trucks, holding up truck drivers, clinging to the top of cross channel trains and so on, it's not just a build a wall to keep em out situation.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Here we fuckin' go.

This is also a safety measure as people attempting this crossing are boarding moving trucks, holding up truck drivers, clinging to the top of cross channel trains and so on, it's not just a build a wall to keep em out situation.

Are none of those things going to travel across that border anymore?

All those things you just listed are only exacerbated by building a wall around all other entry points.

Like unless they are stopping the trucks and the trains and searching them all then a wall is a wholly useless symbolic gesture.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Here we fuckin' go.

All those things you just listed are only exacerbated by building a wall around all other entry points.

Like unless they are stopping the trucks and the trains and searching them all then a wall is a wholly useless symbolic gesture.

Well given that they are not building a new wall but replacing the existing fencing with something more solid, yes it is a bit symbolic but hopefully will make things a bit more stable given that it's a lot harder to get over a wall than to lift a flimsy ass bit of fencing out the way. It's not like we're building a wall along the north coast of France, cmon, its a perimeter wall around a port.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Here we fuckin' go.

Well given that they are not building a new wall but replacing the existing fencing with something more solid, yes it is a bit symbolic but hopefully will make things a bit more stable given that it's a lot harder to get over a wall than to lift a flimsy ass bit of fencing out the way. It's not like we're building a wall along the north coast of France, cmon, its a perimeter wall around a port.

That will accomplish little to nothing, and will likely take a year or more to complete.

Not like they could spend all those millions of dollars on employing folks to make the legal immigration process faster for the folks in Calais or anything.

Nah make a mostly symbolic gesture that doesn't actually solve any real problems, just maybe slightly alleviates the symptoms. That's some pretty expensive store brand tussin if you ask me.

• Options

Here we fuckin' go.

That will accomplish little to nothing, and will likely take a year or more to complete.

Not like they could spend all those millions of dollars on employing folks to make the legal immigration process faster for the folks in Calais or anything.

Nah make a mostly symbolic gesture that doesn't actually solve any real problems, just maybe slightly alleviates the symptoms. That's some pretty expensive store brand tussin if you ask me.

Oh I'm not saying it's not a largely symbolic waste of money and could be better spent on improving staffing/patrolling/policing for a better result, just that there's a definite tone of "the UK's building a YUGE wall" when that's not what's happening.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Here we fuckin' go.

Oh I'm not saying it's not a largely symbolic waste of money and could be better spent on improving staffing/patrolling/policing for a better result, just that there's a definite tone of "the UK's building a YUGE wall" when that's not what's happening.

Fair

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Here we fuckin' go.

Yeah, 13 feet tall is a joke. Fuck, my step ladder folds out to a 12 foot ladder, it's not particularly difficult to get over a wall that small if you want to.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

kTXuFki.png

http://time.com/4453587/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-dictator-impunity-marcos/

yeah I'm not sure there's a way for the phillipines to get rid of him outside of a violent coup

huh

wonder how long this will last before a coup happens

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    "No one believed he would really do it"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    No, it's been pretty clear that this is exactly what he was voted into office to do. Maybe some people didn't think he'd take it this far, but he was elected on an any-means-necessary mandate.

He's McCarthy, Trump, and the US domestic war on drugs rolled together.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    "No one believed he would really do it"

Surprise!

It turns out when shitty wannabe strongmen get voted into office they just turn into shitty strongmen.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

voters don't think CNN is full of shit
    78% of voters think CNN is completely full of shit

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The top bit is a quote from Trump, isn't it? It's not CNN's interpretation.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Both of those items in that screenshot clearly source their information (not rigorously, but they make clear that CNN is reporting on outside information, not editorializing).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    The top bit is a quote from Trump, isn't it? It's not CNN's interpretation.

Doesn't exactly help when it's the larger headline and in boldface. It's the first thing people see regardless of whether it's attributed to trump. It's like the goddang Cavuto mark. They can just put whatever the fuck they want in the tickerbar and just say they're "asssssking questions!!!"

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/8ov5kh/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-question-mark

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It says "TRUMP:" next to it. It is pretty apparent that they are paraphrasing him.

LTM on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So about those 88 generals endorsing Trump - there are hundreds of active generals and admirals in the US military currently. The figure I found was 886. (This actually is a bit of an issue, the military getting top-heavy.) This isn't counting the hundreds more retired generals, which I wasn't able to find a good figure on quickly. Aside from the worrying but hopefully coincidental white supremacist symbolism of the number*, getting 88 of this group means getting the endorsement of 5-10% of them, which is nothing. Any largish group will have at least 5-10% of its members with some kind of terrible, bizarre opinion.

*It's hard to say between the overt racism and what I would assume is Trump's ego demanding ever-larger numbers. Even if he was aiming for symbolism, I think he'd ruin it by padding the numbers to look yuuger if he could. He's inherently tacky.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    So about those 88 generals endorsing Trump - there are hundreds of active generals and admirals in the US military currently. The figure I found was 886. (This actually is a bit of an issue, the military getting top-heavy.) This isn't counting the hundreds more retired generals, which I wasn't able to find a good figure on quickly. Aside from the worrying but hopefully coincidental white supremacist symbolism of the number, getting 88 of this group means getting the endorsement of 5-10% of them, which is nothing. Any largish group will have at least 5-10% of its members with some kind of terrible, bizarre opinion.

Shit, at least 20-30% of the recently polled population of the US supports Trump...

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah uh there are far better things to criticize cnn for than this

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I know that we joke about The Purge and how outlandish it all is

And then I look at what's going on in the Philippines and I start to fear

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.