Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[No Man's Sky] Mine birds, shoot asteroids, build bases??? [nsf56k]

2456713

Posts

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I've put in over 100hours at the very minimum and feel like I enjoyed every second of it. That said, I got the platinum and I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

    GMaster7
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Revenge of Purple Steve Registered User regular
    I'm doing the journey to the center of the universe as something to do with my hands/eyes while watching podcasts (I have difficulty listening to them and not doing anything else.) I know what's at the end, I just want to say I've done it.

    It's so time consuming that it wraps around from boring, to annoying, to frustrating, to hilarious, all the back away around to frustrating.

    Like, beyond the bad marketing for this game, I'm honestly wondering if Hello Games just added it in as a way to dunk on everyone who kept bugging them about an explicit goal in the game. I haven't felt like this since the Witness.

    n_zpsb1ejvspv.png
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    While I was able to previously play for an hour or so before memory leaks caused massive frame drops, now I can't play more than 10-15 minutes at a time before this happens. I wonder if it's something to do with the planets being extreme somehow and having lots of particles going on(one with extreme acid rain storms, the other with windstorms) but until I find a planet that doesn't have this kind of shit going down I won't know for sure.

    EDIT: Nope, on a moon that doesn't have any crazy atmosphere animations going on and I'm still not able to play more than a few minutes before it becomes a slideshow. I haven't tinkered with my settings or anything at all, why the fuck is this happening.

    Getting this issue now as well. Was able to play for an hour or more before the memory leak caught up with me but ever since landing on a low fauna planet with monsoon weather the frames are dropping like crazy, have been on planets with forests w/Big Things and a storm with no problem so I don't know wtf is up with this now.

    On the plus side, found a planet with a ton of vortex cubes so that was fun, if I can get this slideshow issue fixed I'm gonna fly back there.

    Anyone else use LowFlight mod? This never gets old:



    But for some reason the main no man's sky mod site is now flagged by chrome and blocked as having malware and when I do open it in another browser the formatting is all messed up.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm using Low Flight with 2x speed.

    I tried the hover version, but could never get my ship to land.

    Interesting about the mods site. Guess HelloGames hired a QA tester and a black hat.

    MichaelLC on
    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Yea I put in the 2x speed with hover but landing has been a lot harder, maybe I'll try the other version.

    Got Chrome to load the site properly but it still spazzes going to mods claiming there's malware on the site, can continue to the site but kind of weird.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus My baby, please show you to me fast. Registered User regular
    Looking at Steam forums, the framerate issue unfortunately seems like a Window 10 + nVidia card issue caused by the latest patch.

    pregoptimussig.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Got off spazzy planet, went to its moon which is a freaking rainforest made more epic by Big Things and not nearly as much stutter. Although the bad thing about Big Things is landing in a tree that you didn't realize was too high to reach until after you took over the crashed ship to loot it. Luckily a jetpack upgrade solved the problem.

    gyuH

    BladeX on
    MichaelLCDarkPrimusSurfpossumDrake
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Trying to find the last species on some of these planets is the worst thing I'll do this decade

    Edit: And then one planet this evening literally allowed me to turn in a circle after landing and hit all 8 species

    Edit2: I spent 2+ hours trying to find the last species on a planet (at the tail end of which I wrote the above post) before going to bed in anger at 1:00 am. Woke up this morning before work, fired up the PS4, and the last species was literally 90 degrees and 100 feet away, just chilling. So I have only one planet left to catalog, 9 more warps (and I have the cells for it), and 4 or so ships to destroy, and I'll have my Plat.

    Then I think it's on to Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with the wife. NMS was a solid but solitary experience, and I need a little co-op comfort food.

    GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.Net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    BladeXDarkPrimus
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Looking at Steam forums, the framerate issue unfortunately seems like a Window 10 + nVidia card issue caused by the latest patch.

    Missed this, so either I live with the stuttering or try and see if there's some way to downgrade the game and never be able to scan a god damn bird why won't you scan just scan please! For the love of God scaaaaaan.

    If I want to do any of the 100% creature stuff I'm definitely going to have to disable mods as I can't find shit in these woods. They're all there taunting me, but I can't see them.

  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    There was a 75mb download on steam today. I swear the running speed is faster than before. Hope I'm not just imagining things.

    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus My baby, please show you to me fast. Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    There was a 75mb download on steam today. I swear the running speed is faster than before. Hope I'm not just imagining things.

    Check your settings. The patch set a bunch of my settings to low. I'm still getting the stuttering after ~10 minutes with my settings back to the way they used to be.

    I mean, maybe I could play for a lot longer with my settings lowered... but why should I compromise my experience with the game, when it had been working fine(ish) for me before?

    pregoptimussig.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    BladeX
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So according to the steamdb page for the game, the public branch hasn't been updated since the last patch notes log entry thing went up (two weeks ago, and it should contain the easier flying scan tweak).

    You could maybe try... unsubscribing? from the experimental branch or whatever it is one does and see if that fixes your issues (tho if it is an NVidia + Windows problem it probably won't).

    edit: removed ellipsis for clarity

    Surfpossum on
    is this how nations are born
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus My baby, please show you to me fast. Registered User regular
    I've been subscribed to the experimental branch. I unsubbed and then resubbed. The reason I posted the update was because of the patch today. Just informing that the Win 10 + nVidia issue has not been addressed.

    pregoptimussig.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I meant unsubscribing from it to hopefully roll back to the public branch, since if the stuttering started within the last two weeks AND it was due solely to an update to NMS, rolling back to the public branch should get rid of it.

    But I dunno how this stuff works in Steam exactly.

    is this how nations are born
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The problem being is I'm pretty sure (since Optimus mentioned it earlier got me thinking) that this really became an issue when I finally updated to 1.07 so I don't know if rolling back is even possible, if it is are saves compatible and then scanning birds becomes next to impossible without mining them. It's the one thing I do miss about physical media, used to be able to just uninstall, reinstall from the disc and just selectively update from the patches you got off the company's support site (assuming the patches didn't break your save games for earlier versions Fallout 2 cough)

    On the plus side, I still haven't grown tired of the views, made all the better by all the damn barren planets I had been on:

    sFni

    BladeX on
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Double post but my stuttering turned out to be caused by TemplarGFX's wild life 2.6 mod. Was only on certain planets so removed that mod and reloaded, stutter gone (and undiscovered creatures down to 1 of 10 instead of 1 of 33)

  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Two new patches have hit the public branch, though I've been playing Overwatch lately.

    They, uh, "fixed" the resource stacking "exploit" that let you stack items when you salvaged them from stuff. That's... not a good change at all.

    Apparently planets with 15 (or more?) species couldn't hit 100% complete, I think I hit that once or twice. Now fixed.

    More options menu stuff.

    Aaaaand a bunch of various performance tweaks and whatnot.

    That stacking "fix" really bugs me.

    is this how nations are born
    MuffinatronBladeXPoketpixieZilla360
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus My baby, please show you to me fast. Registered User regular
    Guess I'll have to see if I can actually play the game again.

    pregoptimussig.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Two new patches have hit the public branch, though I've been playing Overwatch lately.

    They, uh, "fixed" the resource stacking "exploit" that let you stack items when you salvaged them from stuff. That's... not a good change at all.

    Apparently planets with 15 (or more?) species couldn't hit 100% complete, I think I hit that once or twice. Now fixed.

    More options menu stuff.

    Aaaaand a bunch of various performance tweaks and whatnot.

    That stacking "fix" really bugs me.

    Are you on PC? Fuck inventory management is a great mod, allows stacking. I kept it at the default that doesn't change suit inventory, changes ship inventory to 1000, changes non stackable items to 10 in the suit and 40 or something on the ship.

    If you think anything is too cheaty it's a simple adjustment in an ini file.

    Sir Carcass
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Revenge of Purple Steve Registered User regular
    They, uh, "fixed" the resource stacking "exploit" that let you stack items when you salvaged them from stuff. That's... not a good change at all.

    Welp, I guess I'm done with this game then.

    n_zpsb1ejvspv.png
    CobellPoketpixieZilla360
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ancient Vy'Keen medicine uses powdered horn to fix framerate drops.
    cxdt89647au0.jpg

    Blue sky at night, Sentinels take flight.
    ad5bzprbwaey.jpg

    "Bong" hehe.
    a35b44dpizy9.jpg

    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
    BladeXZilla360
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
    DarkPrimusPoketpixieDissociaterBladeXMichaelLCAegeriZilla360
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They've been totally radio silent since around release, haven't they? I wonder if they'll respond to that publicly or if they'll get any sort of reprimand. Is the ASA a big deal organization in Europe? How much power do they have for this sort of thing?

    Me on Twitch!
    Dohaeris210 on PSN
    Me on Steam
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    They've been totally radio silent since around release, haven't they? I wonder if they'll respond to that publicly or if they'll get any sort of reprimand. Is the ASA a big deal organization in Europe? How much power do they have for this sort of thing?

    I am not sure myself, but if it causes some shit to go down then I hope it prevents the next studio from over promising and under delivering.

    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
    SniperGuyMichaelLCGroveBig ClassyZilla360
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Saw that Reddit post the other day, was quite surprised something was being done.

    Eurogamer has picked up on the story as well:

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-advertising-standards-launches-investigation-into-no-mans-sky

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Good for them. Let an agency work it out through a formal process.

    The store page/official marketing absolutely should have been updated when they knew the final product was not going to be equal.

    Of course as someone said in the Reddit, it doesn't matter now; sales are done. But still would like to see an 'offical' ruling.

    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
    MuffinatronDark Raven X
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I generally find those kinds of things to be distasteful - i.e. "the Vita doesn't really provide console-quality graphics on the go, this was false advertising, give us $$$" - but it's hard to argue that there hasn't been false advertising here, especially if they're still representing that old concept footage is representative of the actual game (on Steam, for example).

    What bothers me the most is that HG has been silent since release, other than patch changelogs. Why? What possible explanation can there be for this, other than "talking to you people is what got us in trouble in the first place"? When even Shuhei Yoshida is calling you out in interviews, you have a problem. I don't see how their next project is met with anything other than a ton of skepticism. Unless they go back to projects that are more Joe Danger-esque in scope. (H*R reference unintentional.)

    Does it matter for their business, at the end of the day? It matters if they want to make more games in the future. They're certainly sitting pretty right now, financially; that's probably a large part of why they've stayed silent. They made their money and they're just working on improvements. But that's no excuse.

    GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.Net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    They've been totally radio silent since around release, haven't they? I wonder if they'll respond to that publicly or if they'll get any sort of reprimand. Is the ASA a big deal organization in Europe? How much power do they have for this sort of thing?

    I am not sure myself, but if it causes some shit to go down then I hope it prevents the next studio from over promising and under delivering.

    this may be a dumb question from someone who hasn't played the game, but what did they not deliver on?

    Aren't there a gajillion worlds to explore and wouldn't it take you forever to reach the center of the universe if you didn't use warps or what not?

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus My baby, please show you to me fast. Registered User regular
    According to the RPS article this is the ASA's list of items misrepresented in the advertising.
    Videos:
    User interface design
    Ship flying behaviour (in formation; with a ‘wingman’; flying close to the ground)
    Behaviour of animals (in herds; destroying scenery; in water; reacting to surroundings)
    Large-scale space combat
    Structures and buildings as pictured
    Flowing water
    Speed of galaxy warp/loading time
    Aiming systems

    Screenshots:
    Size of creatures
    Behaviour of ships and sentinels
    Structures and buildings as pictured
    Store Page in general:

    Quality of graphics
    References to: lack of loading screens, trade convoys between stars, factions vying over territory

    pregoptimussig.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    They've been totally radio silent since around release, haven't they? I wonder if they'll respond to that publicly or if they'll get any sort of reprimand. Is the ASA a big deal organization in Europe? How much power do they have for this sort of thing?

    I am not sure myself, but if it causes some shit to go down then I hope it prevents the next studio from over promising and under delivering.

    this may be a dumb question from someone who hasn't played the game, but what did they not deliver on?

    Aren't there a gajillion worlds to explore and wouldn't it take you forever to reach the center of the universe if you didn't use warps or what not?

    I believe the trailers are still up on Steam if you'd like to check them out.

    But the reddit post has all of them listed, and they are:

    Videos:
    • User interface design
    • Ship flying behaviour (in formation; with a ‘wingman’; flying close to the ground)
    • Behaviour of animals (in herds; destroying scenery; in water; reacting to surroundings)
    • Large-scale space combat
    • Structures and buildings as pictured
    • Flowing water
    • Speed of galaxy warp/loading time
    • Aiming systems

    Screenshots:
    • Size of creatures (9)
    • Behaviour of ships and sentinels (4, 5 and 8)
    • Structures and buildings as pictured (3)

    Store Page in general:
    • Quality of graphics
    • References to: lack of loading screens, trade convoys between stars, factions vying over territory

    Some of those points are probably arguable.

    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    They've been totally radio silent since around release, haven't they? I wonder if they'll respond to that publicly or if they'll get any sort of reprimand. Is the ASA a big deal organization in Europe? How much power do they have for this sort of thing?

    I am not sure myself, but if it causes some shit to go down then I hope it prevents the next studio from over promising and under delivering.

    this may be a dumb question from someone who hasn't played the game, but what did they not deliver on?

    Aren't there a gajillion worlds to explore and wouldn't it take you forever to reach the center of the universe if you didn't use warps or what not?

    I believe the trailers are still up on Steam if you'd like to check them out.

    But the reddit post has all of them listed, and they are:

    Videos:
    • User interface design
    • Ship flying behaviour (in formation; with a ‘wingman’; flying close to the ground)
    • Behaviour of animals (in herds; destroying scenery; in water; reacting to surroundings)
    • Large-scale space combat
    • Structures and buildings as pictured
    • Flowing water
    • Speed of galaxy warp/loading time
    • Aiming systems

    Screenshots:
    • Size of creatures (9)
    • Behaviour of ships and sentinels (4, 5 and 8)
    • Structures and buildings as pictured (3)

    Store Page in general:
    • Quality of graphics
    • References to: lack of loading screens, trade convoys between stars, factions vying over territory

    Some of those points are probably arguable.

    oh, none of that is in game?!

    yeah that's pretty bad if true

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    You could argue a few of them, but yes what is shown in the videos and pictures being used to sell NMS right now are showing things not found in game.

    And that's what I like about this complaint is that it's on what is currently being used, not some 3,4? year old sizzle reel someone dug up.

    MichaelLC on
    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jesus I just got depressed at how awesome this game would have been if all the listed things had been included and functional.

    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
    XaquinChiselphaneDissociaterZilla360
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

    I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

    MichaelLC
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 Registered User regular
    user interface seems like a huge stretch

    games change/update their UI during development, there's nothing weird about that

    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

    I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

    It sucks and I regret buying it on the PS4.

    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
    Houn
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

    I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

    It sucks and I regret buying it on the PS4.

    Well at least you can tinker with mods in Fallout 4.

    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

    I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

    It sucks and I regret buying it on the PS4.

    Well at least you can tinker with mods in Fallout 4.

    Which I own on PC. :P

    Click HERE for a Stylish add-on that removes the Agrees/Awesomes/etc on posts on Penny-Arcade.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

    I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

    It sucks and I regret buying it on the PS4.

    Well at least you can tinker with mods in Fallout 4.

    Which I own on PC. :P

    Also mods were blocked by SONY, so thanks for ruining my troll, :)

    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
    BladeX
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Yea I figured it must suck given this is the most discussion the game has received on here in a couple weeks.

Sign In or Register to comment.