As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Question about bases. While the concept is cool, I'm still trying to figure out how a static base works in a game of space exploration with a whole galaxy to explore. Do bases offer quick travel points?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Question about bases. While the concept is cool, I'm still trying to figure out how a static base works in a game of space exploration with a whole galaxy to explore. Do bases offer quick travel points?
    Yeah, you can always travel between your base and the last couple of stations you've teleported from. e: to clarify, you can always warp from any station to your base.

You can also just claim a new base, and it'll break down and pack everything up from your old base (not sure how much material is lost doing this).

I definitely recommend starting a base as soon as you find a planet you like, since a lot of useful things are unlocked via the associated questlines.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, you can always travel between your base and the last couple of stations you've teleported from. e: to clarify, you can always warp from any station to your base.

You can also just claim a new base, and it'll break down and pack everything up from your old base (not sure how much material is lost doing this).

I definitely recommend starting a base as soon as you find a planet you like, since a lot of useful things are unlocked via the associated questlines.

If you claim a new base, next to the store in your new base there will be a container that has half of all the resources you used in your previous base. So if you used 20 glass in your old base, you will have 10 glass in the container.

Also important to note, if you have the storage container in your old base and claim a new one, when you place down new storage containers they will still have all the stuff in them the old ones had, so you do NOT need to empty them before moving. Same with the inventories of any exocraft you have.

So to maximize resources when I moved bases last, I scrapped everything expensive manually (like all my plants or anything requiring living glass) and filled every storage container and exocraft vehicle with the resources. So when I claimed the new base I was able to plop down storage and exocraft bays, pull all the resources, and rebuild quickly.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey, remember how there was an ARG that lead to the game's biggest update last summer?
    It's back. Last month www.wakingtitan.com was updated with no warning, adding a new "glyph" puzzle and command. More info here: https://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Waking_Titan/Phase_4

It seems to be teasing 1.5, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the game is still on 1.3. The theory floating around is tomorrow (in American dates, 1/5) we'll learn something, and that perhaps we'll get a small 1.4 leading to a big 1.5.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i'm just happy they fixed trading posts so they count as shelter again!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Well, would you look at that:

ahsY7eCb.jpg

Came in a completely non-descript white envelope with my name/address preprinted with no return or any other markings other than the USPS required hash marks and stamp box.

Almost ended up in the pile of junk mail to get thrown out.

EDIT: I don't know how to imgur. the pic is either zomgheug or tiny. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Ugggggh I hope I get one.
    I also hope that if I do get one other people won't immediately see it and throw it away like junk mail

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What is it?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What is it?

The Waking Titan ARG leadup to 1.3 had a bunch of stuff you could participate in and do. At the end of it, if you took part, you got assigned a level and such. They made 10,000 Atlas Pass lvl 4's and have recently started sending them out (A mess of people in Canada got them last week, the US is starting to get them this week. No idea about anywhere else in the world) to participants. They've got your unique ID from the ARG on the back and the number pass you've got (5574/10000 here).

It's just a little baseball card thing with your unique identifier on the back.

The ARG has started up again, though, and there's a hex code (that is the same for everyone, that has reported them at least) that is a part of the current stuff, though it hasn't quite been determined how yet. EDIT: What the hex code is has been figured out, obviously, but what exactly it means is still being sorted
    it is mirror, and there's been some stuff discovered relating to mirrors and using them to make infinite reflections. A lot of the speculation is that the next major patch will be more full fledged multiplayer stuff, and that this relates

The new "season" prompt stuff is referring to a 1.5, which is weird, because there is no 1.4, so there's a lot of confusion over that.

But it just started and based at least on how long the last season took, probably will keep going for a couple months.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Oh neat! That's pretty awesome.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So is this game good now?

• Options
    Been good for a while now :^:

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I would argue that it's always been good, but yes, it's gotten even better. New things from the base game includes (but is not limited to): buying freighters (and buying ships within freighter hangars allows you to own more than one ship at a time), building base components on planets (at specific points) or in freighters themselves, warps that allow limited soujourns to different planets, varying planet types to a greater degree, land vehicles that can be summoned on any planet a pad has been built on (an all purpose terrain vehicle, a hovercraft mainly for use on water planets, and a heavy vehicle, all can be upgraded like the ships and guns and suit), there are missions (mostly go fetch/deliver/kill) in stations that improve your standing with various guilds and races that give special stuff for reaching high levels with (better construction recipes, etc), you can save freighters from pirates to get a reward from the captain or shoot the shit out of them for resources and get the sentinels on your tail.

I know there's more, I just can't quite remember them.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Most importantly, can you still do that running melee boost jump thing?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

AFAIK, yes. I haven't played in a while, but it was still in there the last time I did.
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I would argue that it's always been good

I'd probably argue this too. Even if I was ultimately disappointed in what we got at launch(which probably conflicts with an argument that it's always been good :P), and there's some wasted potential there, I still got a good ~50 or so hours of playtime in the first week of release alone. Exploring planets and scanning animals was relaxing and fun.

Except birds before they fixed whatever bug that was... fuckin' birds...

• Options
    Yeah, I think I hit 100 hours before that first week was out, and honestly I went hard on the exploring and upgrading angle. Hell, my suit was fully upgraded before I took my first break. And I have to usually take long breaks from the game if I want to get anything else done, because no unlike ARK, the game is very demanding of time and being "the only game" if you really want to get a large amount of things done. If you just want to kind of fuss around with a game, though, it's a really good pick and always was. It's just gotten more things now.

• Options

AFAIK, yes. I haven't played in a while, but it was still in there the last time I did.

I'd probably argue this too. Even if I was ultimately disappointed in what we got at launch(which probably conflicts with an argument that it's always been good :P), and there's some wasted potential there, I still got a good ~50 or so hours of playtime in the first week of release alone. Exploring planets and scanning animals was relaxing and fun.

The melee jump is definitely still in. I imagine it was a bug initially, but it became so popular that (at least my take) they had to purposefully be not fixing it when they were actively fixing so many other things in all the patches. I mean, after 1.3 there were still 8 more bug fix patches that corrected nearly every major bug still left over (or introduced with the major patches).

And yes, the game is, IMO, all around really good, and given it seems to just be getting better and HG doesn't seem to be dropping support, or charging for features, if you're interested in the type of game, it has a lot to offer. A good philosophical "story", ships that now actually feel different among classes and stats, weapons too, base building, way more interesting exotic worlds, better balance all around.

You're not going to mistake it for a hardcore space sim like X or Elite, but for a survival game, it has a lot more (again, IMO) to offer than virtually any other "survival" game out there.

And if people are right, and the next major patch is introducing real multiplayer (there is kind of now, but it is not super interactive, and feels more of a test than anything), it could be that much more interesting and introduce a whole different reason and means to play.

• Options
    edited January 2018

The melee jump is definitely still in. I imagine it was a bug initially, but it became so popular that (at least my take) they had to purposefully be not fixing it when they were actively fixing so many other things in all the patches. I mean, after 1.3 there were still 8 more bug fix patches that corrected nearly every major bug still left over (or introduced with the major patches).

And yes, the game is, IMO, all around really good, and given it seems to just be getting better and HG doesn't seem to be dropping support, or charging for features, if you're interested in the type of game, it has a lot to offer. A good philosophical "story", ships that now actually feel different among classes and stats, weapons too, base building, way more interesting exotic worlds, better balance all around.

You're not going to mistake it for a hardcore space sim like X or Elite, but for a survival game, it has a lot more (again, IMO) to offer than virtually any other "survival" game out there.

And if people are right, and the next major patch is introducing real multiplayer (there is kind of now, but it is not super interactive, and feels more of a test than anything), it could be that much more interesting and introduce a whole different reason and means to play.

I agree, though if that's the case I hope one can set flags or not connect for multi. The last thing I need is for another player to ruin my playtime by being a PvP loon. I really hope it's essentially "co-op only" type multi, if anything.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Honestly so far, the game's only gotten better with each update. Hope it keeps up.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Honestly so far, the game's only gotten better with each update. Hope it keeps up.

Oh, I agree.

I've just found that anything multiplayer "ruins everything". Most other people in this world are not people I would ever choose to talk to, let alone play games with, for a variety of reasons.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    My opinion is if you didn't like it at launch, you probably won't like it now. They've improved upon what they had, but at it's core it's still the same gameplay.

• Options
    My opinion is if you didn't like it at launch, you probably won't like it now. They've improved upon what they had, but at it's core it's still the same gameplay.

Mostly true. It has more of a narrative now and tons of improvements to gameplay overall.

• Options
    DwarfDwarf Registered User regular
    Melee-Jetpacking is just so satisfying as a way to travel that I find my fingers itch to do it in other games. I don't think I'd enjoy exploring half as much as I do if it never was a thing.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    to me the most important addition was permadeath.

but i think playing a game you didn't already like on permadeath mode would make it worse, not better :P
    Big Classy wrote: »

Oh, I agree.

I've just found that anything multiplayer "ruins everything". Most other people in this world are not people I would ever choose to talk to, let alone play games with, for a variety of reasons.

i'm pretty sure the scale of the universe pretty much prohibits chance encounters with other players

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    They'd have to fundamentally change the way the universe is explored for players to ever encounter each other unintentionally outside of astronomical rarity.

In fact, even if I didn't ever want to play with anyone else, if I did run across someone it would be so impressive that I would forget that I wanted to play solo.

My guess is that it will either be invite only (or, at least, require the use of the glyphs to gather, like it does now, but more intuitive possibly) or there will be a separate save slot for multiplayer like there is with survival and creative. The latter I imagine is less likely simply due to the fact that people who still play the game probably would prefer to play with people in their already established bases etc, and not start from scratch yet again.

Who knows though. I hope that they come up with something more innovative than just the same stuff with avatars. Right now you can visit other people but can't really play with them. Real multiplayer would need some sort of joint activities like multiple person bases or functional stations that can be customized, or possibly even some sort of combat/territory control.

Maybe they could add in a new type of system that allows for multiple player interaction, and you can choose to go there or not. Leave current systems the way they are so that it doesn't need to be a new galaxy, and people can still play alone if they like; but give them a choice when jumping to go to systems that have territory/faction control or something where players can duke it out and/or work together.

I dunno. We shall see.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    If they really wanted multiplayer, they could do more stuff with portals to make it work. Having true random encounter stuff is really implausible given the scale of both the universe and the planets themselves, but something a bit less sandboxey is doable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Consider me hyped!

• Options
    Awesome! It's really heartening to see that they're still pouring so much time into the game. I'm really excited to see what's in it considering Expansion implies it will be even bigger than the patches so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Awesome! It's really heartening to see that they're still pouring so much time into the game. I'm really excited to see what's in it considering Expansion implies it will be even bigger than the patches so far.

Someone on Reddit theorized proper multiplayer stuff, others suggested possible VR support. I just got my VR stuff recently and it's amazing, and I would love if this got support for it like PAYDAY 2 did (especially if it was included for free, like PAYDAY 2's VR patch was)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I actually booted this game back up again a few weeks (months?) ago to hunt down some more landscapes and progress the story a bit, and ended up having it crash/bug out more frequently than any time before during the couple hundred hours I put into it.

That said, I still get the old hankering to go exploring, so I'm sure I'll be back once I'm not constantly thieving the seas. Gotta get to the center sometime, ideally on my permadeath save!

It also looks like they're gonna keep adding content faster than I get through it, though.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I haven't played since I encountered a small bug after I moved to a new base. I chose to port home from a space station but accidentally picked the planet my OLD base was on. So it took me there.

Where there was now no base.
    Or ship.
    Or any way to call a ship.
    On an island.

If I ever feel like playing again I image it will first have to be "Escape from tropical paradise"

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    VR support would be super boss as I also am on the VR train, but it would be hilarious internet overreaction part 2 if that were the main thrust of what's being titled an expansion. It's still a pretty small market and unfortunately there are still a sizable amount of people who hate VR because they think it's here to steal their traditional gaming.

But if that's part of it, it would definitely be my most anticipated feature! Apparently it sort of works in VR with VorpX and I've been meaning to try it, but VorpX is always noticably less good than an official implementation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Played this at launch, liked it, but put it down after all the bugs and announcements of major free updates to come.

Picked it back up recently. I'm having a lot of fun, though I'm definitely struggling with a few things.

I upgraded to a B-class fighter and added a shield upgrade, but I'm still finding all space dogfights (even against individual, negligible-threat bounties) to be certain death. The AI has near-perfect aim with free-shooting space lasers and can strafe me backward and forward. I have a lot of difficulty even finding them, and after a flyby they're just vanished. For the two or three seconds I do manage to fly behind, I only manage to do a little damage. My only strategy so far has been to stockpile shield repair materials and hope to flee to a planet surface, since they seem to leave you alone if you land. Recovery from space death seems incredibly annoying, and I fear getting "stuck" in a place where I can't even fly my ship with anything but basic thrusters after a badly-timed demolition.

So basically: how do I dogfight gud

Still on the search for a decent planet, too. So far they all have either an atmospheric hazard or aggressive sentinels with practically no life. So, I haven't found a good place to build a base yet. I'm still pretty early on, like 10 hours or something, so this isn't too surprising (I haven't upgraded hyperdrive to be able to explore the other stars, and I'm just slowly meandering along the main Atlas route).

I did just get
    Atlas Pass I, which appears to let me get fairly easy antimatter fuel from planets that have such locations of interest? That's pretty nice. The expense of traveling between stars made me reluctant to ever leave a system, and I almost panicked when I realized I'd forgotten to do a basic quest in a previous system (the one where you get jobs; it says go to any job counter, but it only succeeds the quest if you do it in the system where the quest pops). That meant I had to waste two fuel items (and thus a bunch of time to reacquire the necessary components). That's pretty bleh. Hopefully the Pass rewards I've gotten thus far were not a fluke, and hopefully I can continue to find such drop pods easily enough through the systems.

The system where I got the Pass was gar-bo. It had one ass planet and a whole bunch of marauding ships, which I had to cheese my way past through planet and Atlas landings until I got an opening to system jump. I really have to learn dogfight. It's just so unforgiving! I don't know how to learn it without failing, and failing is really expensive and time-consuming.
    Anyway, eventually I'll find that nice planet to build a base on. Just have to decide if I want to wait for a Goldilocks planet (average or lower sentinels, no hazard, good resources, really pretty) or just pick one I think I can reasonably survive on for some time, of which there have been a few. I fear messing up the relocation costs (or getting stuck on an old planet as a previous poster mentioned).

As an aside, is it worth really scouring a planet if you find one with reasonable survivability and lots of points of interest? I felt that was against the spirit of the game and usually stop after at most 6 or so POIs. But maybe I really, really need to finish upgrading my suit and get another 10 million or something for a really good ship?

And how worth it are the jobs? I managed to get 3 at once that required killing local wildlife, and while the pay was good, the time expenditure was pretty intense, even on a planet with lots of life (because of sentinel threats, restoring my hazard prot and life support, etc). In short, do they tend to be more or less efficient than just going out and doing the things?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    From what I can recall, when it comes to dogfighting:

- stockpiling massive amounts of shield fuel is key; I try to have at least two or three stacks
    - make sure your upgrades are linked (shield upgrade next to the shield system)
    - when you shoot at something you should get a target lock on it, which will put a little flashing arrow indicating what direction they're in when they leave your view. I think you can also manually cycle targets but I don't remember.
    - slowing down lets you turn faster, and I think pitching up/down is faster than turning, so I try to roll and pitch instead of just turning. Plus it's cooler
    - make sure you're shooting at the lead indicator and not the ship itself
    - your ship has individual stats for shields, engines, health, etc. Maybe keep an eye out for one with top tier shields?

You're meant to stay on planets only as long as you feel like it. There's no need to stay and find a bunch of stuff instead of just going to a different one and finding more stuff.

I would recommend starting a base ASAP though, since it unlocks a lot of quests that you'll be gathering stuff along the way for. You can always keep an eye out for the perfect planet and rebuild later.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    If there's one specific thing I hope the expansion addresses, it's the ship shield system.

I don't think it should so largely revolve around how much shield repair stuff you have, and depend on you awkwardly refueling your shield in the middle of combat. I would love for them to make shields last longer on average, with like a "shield potion" button that has a pretty decent cooldown on it. Spamming shield repairs isn't really fun, but it's incredibly effective.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, space combat for me was basically "rotate in place, shoot at targets, stop periodically to refill shields" which wasn't very dynamic or engaging.

• Options
    Instead, I'd rather there be a "shield energy" slots that you could fill with stuff to recharge the shield, similar to the suit's "cargo" slots, where you could find ships with higher amounts of those specific recharge slots. Maybe for weapons and warp drive and such as well. And anything in those slots would be auto-applied every few ticks that they aren't in use. avoid a few shots or get a long enough pause between hits and the shield auto-recharges with that stuffs, stop shooting for a bit and the beam auto recharges if there's something in there to auto recharge them. It would also allow folks to more or less customize their ship experience by loading up on all shield recharge or spreading it out among different types of recharge material.

• Options
    That sounds pretty sweet too! I'm down for anything that doesn't link my effectiveness in combat directly to opening up menus and not shooting things in combat.

steam_sig.png