As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well I mean it is a 3 year old demo, just unlike most smart companies, they didn't bury it and instead decided to use it as the first video that plays on the steam store even though the final product bares little resemblance.

I can't imagine what the PS4 folks must be feeling, I'm still enjoying it but I've also got mods coming out the ass added to the thing.

It sucks and I regret buying it on the PS4.

Well at least you can tinker with mods in Fallout 4.

Which I own on PC. :P

Also mods were blocked by SONY, so thanks for ruining my troll, :)

Oh no shit? I didn't realize they actually blocked it. Sorry!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was within the last week or so.
    Bethesda basically blamed Sony, made it sound like a business decision not a technical one. Said there may be other options like enabling the console command line but didn't sound promising.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I generally find those kinds of things to be distasteful - i.e. "the Vita doesn't really provide console-quality graphics on the go, this was false advertising, give us $$$"

Whoa hey, the Vita was a legit complaint.
    In 2012, Sony and its advertising agency, Deutsch LA, Inc., promoted the PS Vita on the internet and in promotional videos, TV commercials and stores. Ads said you would "Never stop playing" and showed users enjoying the "remote play," "cross save" and real-time 3G features. But the FTC says that despite the ads' promises, customers really couldn't use remote play to run most PS3 games on the PS Vita — not even Killzone 3, the popular PS3 game Sony featured in its promotional video explaining remote play. And the claims that you could "cross save" by pausing a game on one system and resuming it on another? Sony didn't tell that you actually had to have two copies of the same game for this feature to work. What about the live, multiplayer game sessions that looked exciting in the ads? The PS Vita couldn't do that, even if you bought the 3G version.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I generally find those kinds of things to be distasteful - i.e. "the Vita doesn't really provide console-quality graphics on the go, this was false advertising, give us $$$"

Whoa hey, the Vita was a legit complaint.
    In 2012, Sony and its advertising agency, Deutsch LA, Inc., promoted the PS Vita on the internet and in promotional videos, TV commercials and stores. Ads said you would "Never stop playing" and showed users enjoying the "remote play," "cross save" and real-time 3G features. But the FTC says that despite the ads' promises, customers really couldn't use remote play to run most PS3 games on the PS Vita — not even Killzone 3, the popular PS3 game Sony featured in its promotional video explaining remote play. And the claims that you could "cross save" by pausing a game on one system and resuming it on another? Sony didn't tell that you actually had to have two copies of the same game for this feature to work. What about the live, multiplayer game sessions that looked exciting in the ads? The PS Vita couldn't do that, even if you bought the 3G version.

I can't argue with the 3G stuff. That was a mess for sure - I don't think you could really multiplayer game over 3G, and I'm also pretty sure you can't remote play over it. And... I guess if they promised remote play of PS3 games and you couldn't do that, that's pretty misleading, too. Maybe I was thinking it wasn't a big deal because I remote play PS4 over my Vita and it works pretty much as advertised (it's choppy sometimes, but sometimes it's smooth).

I have a bigger issue with the cross-save stuff, simply because so many games that do it are also cross-play. I guess some aren't, but then, they aren't usually exact same game (i.e. The Show).

I don't know. Whatever. Vita is a dope system and I should play mine more often. I guess it was gimped at launch and that's what the class-action lawsuit was about. I've had mine since launch and I never thought I had been bait-and-switched.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I haven't touched this dumpster fire in a long time, but this was posted on the previous page:
    Apparently planets with 15 (or more?) species couldn't hit 100% complete, I think I hit that once or twice. Now fixed.

Can anyone explain that? I have a planet with 16 species that I have literally never been able to find the last one of. Does this actually mean it was impossible for me to ever find that last animal? What was the actual problem? Not that I intend to go back until they improve the creature scanning mechanics, or well, a lot of things really. This is easily going down as possibly the most disappointing game I've ever played - and I've played a lot of turds in my time.

In other news, the subreddit got taken down from the main guy who ran it being overwhelmed by the negativity on it. It's back up now as far as I can tell.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I believe that was referring to a bug where you'd find X out of X species, but the upload page wouldn't update to 100% complete.

I haven't actually played since my last set of screenshots because this has all been too depressing. I assume the ASA will publish some results or something, so I'm wondering what those'll be.

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    After saying I was still enjoying the game due to the mods I haven't touched it either. Two of the bigger mods that helped make the wildlife better and the planets better are bugged for me so can't really use them.

The wildlife one lags the system and the better planets one has every building up on a round flat unrealistic hill plus seems to have removed chrysonite from spawning as when I removed it the planet I was on suddenly had some after not seeing any in over a dozen planets.

• Options
    It's really a shame because NMS2 would have been excellent, but since this whole thing has been a shitshow I won't touch another game by Hello Games.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Sony's throwing Hello Games under the bus a bit and is claiming the $60 price tag was entirely Hello Game's decision and that the Sony exec actively tried to talk them down to a lower price tag. I read something as well about them trying to convince Hello Games to release it as an 'early access game' with promises of additional development over time. I wasn't aware PS4 had early access style games, though so I wonder if I misread this.

If all that's true though it makes Hello Games look a lot worse in my eyes. At least before they had publisher meddling as a possible mitigating factor for the whole mess.

Also, even at $60, I think an early access release would be a lot easier to swallow. At least you know then that the developers are still working on adding core features to the game. I haven't heard anything since release from Hello Games. Have they basically abandoned this?

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking zero public action to avoid any chance that something they say or do could either present additional liability, or be misconstrued as such.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    The internal build of the game on SteamDB continues to be updated. There were some rumors of a bigger patch coming this month but I dunno how substantial they are. Sean did say they want to continue adding stuff, but who knows.

The price tag and early access thing appears to have come from this video by Geoff Keighley, who does not appear to be a Sony executive.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Sony's throwing Hello Games under the bus a bit and is claiming the $60 price tag was entirely Hello Game's decision and that the Sony exec actively tried to talk them down to a lower price tag. I read something as well about them trying to convince Hello Games to release it as an 'early access game' with promises of additional development over time. I wasn't aware PS4 had early access style games, though so I wonder if I misread this.

If all that's true though it makes Hello Games look a lot worse in my eyes. At least before they had publisher meddling as a possible mitigating factor for the whole mess.

Also, even at $60, I think an early access release would be a lot easier to swallow. At least you know then that the developers are still working on adding core features to the game. I haven't heard anything since release from Hello Games. Have they basically abandoned this?

They replied to my (longstanding) support ticket last week, asking if the patches they've been doing fixed my issue. They haven't -- but it was nice to get some follow-up.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I feel like the fact that I only paid this game cursory attention prelaunch has allowed me to truly enjoy the 34 hours I put in. That said, even I'm done unless they come out with new content that adds something substantial. Patching bugs and improving gameplay isn't enough to keep NMS alive.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was so hyped for NMS before it came out. I was even one of those people saying it would be the 'last game' I might ever buy. My 'dream game'.

Now it's my most disappointing game of 2016, nay, the last five years. :(

I admit I somewhat enjoyed at least the first twenty hours, or so, before the cracks started to show. It started feeling like a slightly interactive screensaver/tech demo with tacked on inventory tetris.

There's so much potential there though, it's a real shame. I just want to take the best bits from both NMS and Elite Dangerous and smush them together, somehow, but that can never be.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I got at least 100 hours into this game and loved almost the entire ride.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I'm a little bit jealous then of your tolerance for repetitive busy-work, then. :P
    A hundred hours is really good value for money. Maybe it helps if you play it drunk/stoned? I know there's a whole subreddit for that. :P

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Don't drink or do drugs, guess I just like different things to you? Shocking, I know. :P

• Options
    The creator of better planets and wildlife stuck his two mods into one and added some more features:

https://nomansskymods.com/mods/better-worlds/

Gonna give this sucker a try, negatives before I even install are compatibility issues with mountains and bigger things.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I was so hyped for NMS before it came out. I was even one of those people saying it would be the 'last game' I might ever buy. My 'dream game'.

Now it's my most disappointing game of 2016, nay, the last five years. :(

I admit I somewhat enjoyed at least the first twenty hours, or so, before the cracks started to show. It started feeling like a slightly interactive screensaver/tech demo with tacked on inventory tetris.

There's so much potential there though, it's a real shame. I just want to take the best bits from both NMS and Elite Dangerous and smush them together, somehow, but that can never be.

This is pretty much me too. I didn't quite get to the "last game I'll ever buy" point, but it was supposed to be my dream space exploration game. I put enough time into it the first week and I was loving it enough to declare it my second favorite game ever, behind Mass Effect trilogy. My enthusiasm started fading once alien encounters and animal species started repeating. Though, I will give them credit on the planet generation. I had some land types and colors repeat, but I never landed on a planet that made me feel like I'd already seen it before. The final nail in the coffin was finding out the "ending" to the game. It was a real kick to the nuts... I made it to less than 100K light years from the center and then just stopped. Such a shame :(

NMS isn't the worst game I've ever played, but it's got to be one of the more disappointing in recent memory. If someone told me at the beginning of August that I wouldn't be playing NMS anymore in less than a month from release, I would've thought they were fucking crazy...

Also, I figured it was Sony pushing HG in directions they didn't want to go with the game. If those rumors turn out to be true, that would make me even more sad and disappointed.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd sure like the performance of the game to be improved (I still don't know how it became so much worse than it had been for me at launch).

And their talking about bases and capital ships. If they can deliver on that within a few months, that might make people warm up again.

• Options
    Welp, I was still playing this as I was taking things so slowly I hadn't finished collecting the Atlas disappointments or fully upgrading my ship, but now the POS has decided to just crash at random and I honestly can't be bothered to troubleshoot it as it's probably one of the bazillion mods I have installed, so guess that's the end for me. Not sure if smash cut to desktop is just as, more, or less disappointing than the real "ending".

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'd sure like the performance of the game to be improved (I still don't know how it became so much worse than it had been for me at launch).

And their talking about bases and capital ships. If they can deliver on that within a few months, that might make people warm up again.

I'm going to call it now, because I'm that much of a pessimist, but expect the next big controversy around NMS being that both of those things aren't free and are paid DLC.

100% calling this now.

Edit: This isn't all speculation either, as it should be noted the last thing before the release and subsequent controversy that resulted, Hello Games were busy walking back on their stated policy on not charging for DLC.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    They might as well charge for them, since they'll never recover the happy feelings people had for this pre-release.

• Options
    I want them to charge for it just to see the collective outrage reddit will have about it. There's not enough popcorn in the world if it does happen.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

I'm going to call it now, because I'm that much of a pessimist, but expect the next big controversy around NMS being that both of those things aren't free and are paid DLC.

100% calling this now.

Edit: This isn't all speculation either, as it should be noted the last thing before the release and subsequent controversy that resulted, Hello Games were busy walking back on their stated policy on not charging for DLC.

Assuming they even bother to release any actual content. Are we sure they didn't realize that they couldn't do what they said they could do so just modified the game to be the biggest troll game ever? :biggrin: I could be reading WAAAAYYYY to into these things but get a lot of these "story" things that basically seem to be mocking the game.

aFwb

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't think there would be outrage on reddit. Pseudo-outrage maybe. The majority of posters there don't really care that the game wasn't as good as it was supposed to be, they're just happy to have another thing that they can circle jerk about to rake in easy karma. All you have to do is make some stupid "NMS sucks, amirite?" thread or post a screenshot of the negative reviews from steam to get a bunch of precious internet points.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Some groups will yell, sure. With some pretty loud voices as such groups tend to have.

As for everybody else, I don't think anybody will care or notice if there's paid DLC or not. They've moved on. "There's DLC for that dumb game? Meh, so what.". And then back to playing whatever the latest release is that week. Barring some insane miracle and an expansion pack so massive and gamechanging that it would have to be it's own game in its own right, the spotlight is now off No Man's Sky and probably never going to be back on again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Maybe I should go as NMS for Halloween.

Just a black body suit carrying money bags.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I would go back to playing with bases and capital ships. If it was DLC? nope.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I'd get it if it was DLC. NMS was a great game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They've already talked about the bases and capital ships as part of a free update.

Turning it into paid DLC would remove what little goodwill is left among people.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I already let one AAA this generation disappoint me, then lure me back with promises that if I gave them more money, I'd finally get the game I was promised from the beginning.

Fool me once...

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I disagree pretty heavily here. I think if they dropped paid dlc after months of utter silence in the face of all the backlash (hardly just angry redditors, this game has been panned by many for the false promises and general jankiness) and to do that would reignite that fire something fierce. Given the ASA investigation I would be shocked if they dropped dlc because it would further complicate that matter.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I disagree pretty heavily here. I think if they dropped paid dlc after months of utter silence in the face of all the backlash (hardly just angry redditors, this game has been panned by many for the false promises and general jankiness) and to do that would reignite that fire something fierce. Given the ASA investigation I would be shocked if they dropped dlc because it would further complicate that matter.

I haven't experienced any jankiness except for the taking off bug and they delivered all they promised that I was aware of.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I haven't experienced any jankiness except for the taking off bug and they delivered all they promised that I was aware of.

FOV slider didn't work at launch no idea if it works now, tons of people have serious performance issues with just the way the game runs, ships land in awkward places, a lot of the game is automated in weird ways that cause jank (Like not being able to fly close to the surface of a planet) , etc. I heard plenty of stories of weird buggy ships and all sorts of bizarre stuff. Glad it works well for you though! As a PC player I got sick 30 minutes in and tried for an hour to fix it before I gave up and returned it. It is easily my biggest disappointment of the year, as even the stuff I thought would be enjoyable was rough and boring.

The ASA will determine it I am guessing so I'm pretty done rehashing the thing with their failed promises. At the very least they were misleading with their advertising and talk before the game released and whether that was intentional or not doesn't really matter. Remains to be seen if the advertising agency will do anything about it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BladeX wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

100% calling this now.

Assuming they even bother to release any actual content. Are we sure they didn't realize that they couldn't do what they said they could do so just modified the game to be the biggest troll game ever? :biggrin: I could be reading WAAAAYYYY to into these things but get a lot of these "story" things that basically seem to be mocking the game.

aFwb
    The "story" definitely was meant to be, at least in part, a commentary about playing the game.

Personally, I'm not too enthused about the prospect of bases or capital ships, unless they're introduced in such a way as to let you come across them as well as obtain them.

For me, my experience with the game was much more reflective of the Nada/Polo storyline than anything. I didn't consider myself to be part of anything like the conflicts like in EVE or PlanetSide, I didn't want to create a home somewhere like in Minecraft, I wasn't trying to survive like in... uh, a survival game, which I guess I don't play many of. I was just a wanderer, checking out what would be generated in the next system.

In my opinion, any actual content added would work best if it added variety or otherwise improved on the things you can discover. Massive structures. More geological features. Multiple biomes on a single planet. More creature bits/ways to combine them. More weather effects. Stuff like that.

I feel like trying to add more stuff to "do" will only result in disappointment, because the game doesn't feel well suited to that. But then, I had fun with the space skirmishes, so more types of discrete, almost mini-game style events could be fun.

I guess it could eventually be turned into something kind of like Minecraft In Space (with a limited building area or something), but it would be a significantly different experience.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    interesting video about false advertising in gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQr4NoRsbQ

• Options
    So off topic of NMS but Hello Games related... Should I pick up Joe Danger? Looks like there's split screen so my daughter and I can play it together and the reviews seem overwhelmingly positive (for the first one) so the obvious answer is yes, but seperating Hello Games and the whole NMS thing is hard ya know?

• Options
    I played half an hour or so of it during the long wait for NMS; there are a couple of control foibles that gave me some trouble (something about going backwards just didn't want to stick in my head, I think), but my general impression was that it was quite slick.

It sort of reminded me of Donkey Kong Country, kind of? Except with more constant movement, because, you know, motorcycles.

No idea what split screen is like.

• Options
    Awesome, well thanks for sharing your experience, I mean worse case I suppose is we hate it and return it while we still can within the 2 hour playtime.