As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    I look forward to the very best NMS clone released by an established dev. Then we might have the game we have been waiting for.

NMS, if anything, has shown there is a HUGE interest in space games. So hopefully that will mean MORE space games.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Thanks to NMS I found out about and been watching (extremely cautiously) Star Citizen, and want to check out elite: dangerous.

BladeX on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    Thanks to NMS I found about and been watching (extremely cautiously) Star Citizen, and want to check out elite: dangerous.

Star Citizen will either be amazing or an even bigger disaster than NMS. I'm cautiously optimistic though. Cool space games are awesome and we need more!

Elite: dangerous is good stuff.

• Options
    I'm hoping that due to the budget, the fact the guy is known for wing Commander, and that you can play it right now means that we won't have a larger disappointment than NMS but again, I remain very cautious. I got burned on hype years and years ago so didn't even follow this game, and am hesitant to drop money to be able to play what's available now.

As far as elite I'll probably pick it up since it looked good already (I hear a lot of truck simulator in space comparisons and I liked ETS2 enough that ATS had become my first day one release in awhile) plus the season pass stuff they've been adding also looks cool.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'd like to try Elite, but I hear that it's garbage on a controller and the Xbone version is my only option.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'd like to try Elite, but I hear that it's garbage on a controller and the Xbone version is my only option.

I play it just fine on a standard Xbox One controller. I remapped a couple buttons but you don't have to.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Thanks to NMS I found out about and been watching (extremely cautiously) Star Citizen, and want to check out elite: dangerous.

Star Citizen hope is basically gambling on a slot machine on this point. Expect nothing, and you might be pleasantly surprised... but make sure to expect nothing.

Elite Dangerous had plenty of bullshit in the early days (interactive background simulation my ass, everything the devs said about it and how it worked turned out to be a lie) and has made a number of mis-steps and wow are their actual game mechanic design people horrible (how they came up with something as miserable as powerplay is beyond me, and they seem to see tedium as the most desirable form of challenge)... but it's got a beautiful galaxy simulation and a beautiful flight model and beautiful ships and an actual functioning persistent universe you can actually explore and find cool rare shit in and it's still got a special place in my heart. It's a great game for just chilling out and exploring or trucking or mindlessly blasting pirates.

Especially in VR and with a proper joystick and a buttkicker. Oh wow is it amazing in virtual reality. It does immersion really, really well.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    NMS didn't leave my PS4's disc drive for the three weeks following its release. It hasn't been back in since.

I feel kind of bad about that, because I actually enjoyed the game. I got my $60 worth; it's just that I have no desire to bother continuing with the "story" or exploring anything else.

• Options
    GlyphGryph wrote: »

Star Citizen hope is basically gambling on a slot machine on this point. Expect nothing, and you might be pleasantly surprised... but make sure to expect nothing.

Elite Dangerous had plenty of bullshit in the early days (interactive background simulation my ass, everything the devs said about it and how it worked turned out to be a lie) and has made a number of mis-steps and wow are their actual game mechanic design people horrible (how they came up with something as miserable as powerplay is beyond me, and they seem to see tedium as the most desirable form of challenge)... but it's got a beautiful galaxy simulation and a beautiful flight model and beautiful ships and an actual functioning persistent universe you can actually explore and find cool rare shit in and it's still got a special place in my heart. It's a great game for just chilling out and exploring or trucking or mindlessly blasting pirates.

Especially in VR and with a proper joystick and a buttkicker. Oh wow is it amazing in virtual reality. It does immersion really, really well.

See, chilling out and space trucking would be right up my alley and it looked gorgeous. Towards the end of my playing all I used NMS was to chill before starting a work shift.

I mean fuck, I reinstalled Freelancer and played that again and realized I was having more fun with it than NMS so Elite's got to be a step up right?

And Fawst, to be fair, one might say you got the better ending by just stopping.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Elite: Dangerous also constantly updates it's galaxy to match known facts about the universe, and tries to be as realistic as possible. It's super fun visiting stars and black holes and even planets knowing "THESE ARE ACTUALLY REAL PLACES (or as close as we can get to the real place based on our limited knowledge)"

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm hoping that due to the budget, the fact the guy is known for wing Commander, and that you can play it right now means that we won't have a larger disappointment than NMS but again, I remain very cautious. I got burned on hype years and years ago so didn't even follow this game, and am hesitant to drop money to be able to play what's available now.

Is it going to be worth the thousands of dollars that a lot of crazy people are spending on virtual ships? No way in hell.

Is it going to be worth the $60 entry level price point? Yeah, I think so. Hell, I personally think it's worth the $60 now if nothing else as a virtual hangar/space simulator, but what they've shown so far of development is pretty amazing.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I backed Star Citizen waaaaay back when it first launched; it looks like it's coming along nicely, but holy moly is it not NMS. Completely different experience and goals, as it very much is trying to be a detailed simulation.

The keybindings page has a scroll bar before you even expand all the categories, and I just want to map stuff onto my 360 controller.

But it is dang impressive and the flying feels pretty nice at this point, tho I haven't ever gotten into the more advanced stuff because I haven't even been able to get the aiming remapped to my satisfaction.

(It's also not really meant for a controller, I think, but I don't care about most of the controls. I like my arcadey flying.)

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    Elite: Dangerous also constantly updates it's galaxy to match known facts about the universe, and tries to be as realistic as possible. It's super fun visiting stars and black holes and even planets knowing "THESE ARE ACTUALLY REAL PLACES (or as close as we can get to the real place based on our limited knowledge)"

They actually had a guy who works on the Cassini project compliment them on their portrayal of ringed planets and their moons.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Just, for the love of God already, release Elite on the Ps4. I have it on PC, but I'm a couch man.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Did you buy it on steam? Not to sound dumb but wouldn't a steam link work? Would probably cost less than game+season pass or "definitive edition" if they bundle all in one, assuming it ever gets released for PS4.

Edit: also, thousands of real life dollars and not space bucks? People be crazy.

BladeX on
  • Options
    Did you buy it on steam? Not to sound dumb but wouldn't a steam link work? Would probably cost less than game+season pass or "definitive edition" if they bundle all in one, assuming it ever gets released for PS4.

Edit: also, thousands of real life dollars and not space bucks? People be crazy.

Sure, and I've considered it, but I did not get a good impression of Steam Link from the reviews I read. Too many occurrences of random complete failure.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Just keep in mind that Elite doesn't have much depth to it either. The space visuals are very pretty, the content is... pretty thin. Lots and lots of "do X the most efficient way, earn money, repeat until you buy a new ship". And there is yawning assloads of travel time, to go any meaningful distance. There's a HUGE number of star systems, but they were also almost entirely procedurally generated and have very little content when comparing one system to another. And there's no story whatsoever, so going anywhere is entirely for whatever reasons you make up for yourself.

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from Elite, but don't go get it expecting it to be some content- and feature-rich smorgasboard. But if you want to play something where you fly a ship to go see sweet-looking stars and celestial features, it's a good option.

• Options
    Septus wrote: »

Sure, and I've considered it, but I did not get a good impression of Steam Link from the reviews I read. Too many occurrences of random complete failure.

Fair enough, I hadn't delved into reviews or anything, have a friend who has one and she seemed to like it, so that's all I have to go on.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I've heard the best results come from using a powerline adapter instead of wifi.

• Options

Just keep in mind that Elite doesn't have much depth to it either. The space visuals are very pretty, the content is... pretty thin. Lots and lots of "do X the most efficient way, earn money, repeat until you buy a new ship". And there is yawning assloads of travel time, to go any meaningful distance. There's a HUGE number of star systems, but they were also almost entirely procedurally generated and have very little content when comparing one system to another. And there's no story whatsoever, so going anywhere is entirely for whatever reasons you make up for yourself.

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from Elite, but don't go get it expecting it to be some content- and feature-rich smorgasboard. But if you want to play something where you fly a ship to go see sweet-looking stars and celestial features, it's a good option.

Oh missed this! No, it's good to get all sorts of opinions on a game before purchasing it, especially since to get the full experience I'd want the main game+season pass which is like 80 Canadian fun monies, and I haven't had a lot of hours at work lately so not exactly rolling in our colourful weird ass plastic dough.

I had heard that which is what got me going eeehh maybe not to begin with, but then people were comparing it to euro truck and I enjoy that and it's really just vastness of scenery you drive around trying to make as much money as efficiently as possible, so seemed like I might enjoy it. I'll see if it comes up on a steam sale.

And I thought when Septus was saying complete failure he meant the thing just dies, needing replacing a lot, which would suck.

• Options
    I meant a crash, should have just said that, and my impression was that these problems persisted with a direct cable connection.

• Options
    I meant a crash, should have just said that, and my impression was that these problems persisted with a direct cable connection.

Still if it keeps crashing even via direct connection it's kind of a deal breaker.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I have a Steam Link at home (haven't used it in months) but it seemed to work out pretty well for me. Now that I have a PS4 it's hard for me to use the Steam Link because I'll just get the games on the PS4 instead. I didn't have any troubles with it crashing on me when I did use it, though.

• Options
    Uh.. Guys? Star Citizen is free to play until Halloween. I have a referral code people can use for free space bux upon account creation (not needed to create the account though) but I think the SC community considers it poor form to post your own code on public forums so I won't. Feel free to PM though :).

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Shoot me a message with it @BladeX, I'm not sure if I'll get around to trying Star Citizen (thanks Civilization 6!) but I'll certainly create an account for you.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Look they tweeted! Kind of!

http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-accounts-apparently-hacked-send-bogus-apol-1788324240

They got hacked and sent bogus emails and tweets apologizing, then got unhacked and were all "Okay we're better, back to work."

*RADIO SILENCE AGAIN*

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone knows what the heck is going on now. Maybe the most recent tweets are still from hacks, trying to make people think they aren't anymore...or two separate hackers hi-fiving each other. For all we know. Weird situation.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Kind of a necro post but that's no man's sky for you...

They actually communicated today saying an update was incoming this coming week to add the foundations for base building. Not base building itself mind you, just the foundations to be able to implement base building... On a game with shit navigation and who's goal is to keep moving forward towards the centre of the galaxy...

So, all aboard the hype. Train? Hello? Anyone? No? Well okay then, I'll just turn the lights back out here.

BladeX on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Kind of a necro post but that's no man's sky for you...

They actually communicated today saying an update was incoming this coming week to add the foundations for base building. Not base building itself mind you, just the foundations to be able to implement base building... On a game with shit navigation and who's goal is to keep moving forward towards the centre of the galaxy...

So, all aboard the hype. Train? Hello? Anyone? No? Well okay then, I'll just turn the lights back out here.

The game's goal was designed to be a giant middle finger to the player, makes it kind of hard to put systems on to it.

Kind of like adding solar-powered UV flashlights to a game in which you play a vampire, there is a missing step in the thought process.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'll wait and see if the patch stops making performance worse for my computer.

If they add in the capital ships and base-building, that's even better, but I'd settle for the game freaking running for me again.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don't think the (perceived) goal of the game is the issue, because you can ignore it and just explore solar systems, which is what was most fun to me anyway

The issue would be if you built a base, how you would find it again if you left. They would need a more robust waypoint/navigation system

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I don't think the (perceived) goal of the game is the issue, because you can ignore it and just explore solar systems, which is what was most fun to me anyway

The issue would be if you built a base, how you would find it again if you left. They would need a more robust waypoint/navigation system

I think they'd be better served making some kind of upgradeable mothership that you can build.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

I think they'd be better served making some kind of upgradeable mothership that you can build.

Yeah that would definitely be nice too, which I thought basically was the plan with those capital ships, theoretically

We'll see what actually comes to fruition though

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Finally gave in and read up on what's at the center. Not surprised at all, given the response I had seen here and elsewhere.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Right? Save yourself however many hours and just (ending "spoiler", loose use of that term with this game)
    record the whole title sequence loading thing, then play it back in reverse. Wow! Mind blown!

As for the bases, not gonna hold my breath that it will be implemented well given exhibit A which is the rest of the game. As has been mentioned a mother ship you could build would be way cooler, I can get my space base building fix with the likes of Empyrion, and if someone hasn't bought NMS yet it's like a fraction of the price.

BladeX on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yes a mothership that is used to jump between stars where you only use your fighter to go out to gather resources would be really nice. It'll be interesting to see what this game looks like in two years though. The base building info makes me think that they are listening to the wrong part of the community (ARK/DayZ/Minecraft player base) instead of adding feature that are more exploration focused.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Yes a mothership that is used to jump between stars where you only use your fighter to go out to gather resources would be really nice. It'll be interesting to see what this game looks like in two years though. The base building info makes me think that they are listening to the wrong part of the community (ARK/DayZ/Minecraft player base) instead of adding feature that are more exploration focused.

Making it look and play anything like the trailer led us to believe would probably be a better start.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I love that the update posted just under this one (from almost 3 months ago) mentions them hiring a community management team.

I'm interested to see how they implement base building because as the game is currently it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They would have to completely rework all of the navigation and systems from the ground up.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You know what? Props to these guys for continuously working on something most people shat on and trying to make the game closer to what they originally envisioned. They fucked up by releasing it in the state it did but I absolutely loved what I played of it and this update just gives me more awesome stuff.