As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I found this nice little planet the other day. Other than the occasional boiling rainstorm and a few stray sentinels, it's made a rather good place for a base.

I'm not sure why the screenshot is so aliased, I have the game running on Ultra...
    kyce2kbf63s0.jpg

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the aliasing on the edges of water like that is a huge problem in VR and I don't know how to fix it.

• Options
    It might just be photo-mode for me, because it doesn't look quite that bad in motion.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Looks like it's part of the base archives research quest line.

Speaking of this quest line, mine seems to be not working.

I built my first base several systems ago, and I'm fairly sure there's no teleporter to go back there.
    But the current status on the quest says "go back to your base, or make a new one".

So I can't go back, but I've tried making new bases and when I interact with the base computer it does not advance the quest. Is there a separate terminal I'm not making? Or is there something else I have to build to make it a "real base"?

There is a thing called a Blueprint Analyzer(portable technology). I think that's what I was using most recently for the archives quest instead of the base computer itself. Maybe try that.

Ah! that must be it.
    The quest description does not mention that thing, but I'm guessing that is what I need. I kept meaning to look at the "available" things to build, but keep getting distracted by other shiny things.

Still need to do a jump or two and get my free freighter...

Hmmm... so does the Blueprint Analyzer still exist? or did it get replaced as part of Beyond?
    As, I don't seem to have one. I have the Base Computer and the Construction Blueprint terminal.

I don't seen an option for a portable blueprint analyzer. The Construction Blueprint one is where you use salvaged data to unlock the blueprint trees.

I checked out the Base Archives quest on the NMS wiki, and it's apparently a repeatable, timed quest? Something like every 90m of in game time you get a free blueprint or something. But possibly only at a designated Base? Like, you can't access the free blueprint at all your bases, just a specific one.

That seems to be "stuck" for me, as I think the game wants me to go back to one of my first Bases. New bases I make now don't seem to count.

Whatever, I'll just move on and do something else for a bit.
    I decided to progress the Base Staff quest, which requires getting a Korvax NPC to man the Science Terminal.

So I warped to a Korvax system, and promptly got my free freighter! Woo.
    And it's even an A class. Super cool.

I was a little scared of the multi-ship fight at the freighter, but it ended up being super simple.
    I've had to run away from a couple of other multi-ship fights, as the "fight while flying backwards" thing works super awesome against individual ships. Against multiple ships, I end up getting blasted by the ships I'm not engaging.

The the freighter fight ships were super weak, and they blew up quickly.
    I've also learned that fighting in 3rd person is soooooo much easier than 1st person.

So now I have my first freighter and first frigate. Woo.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Look at the wiki and read up on the economies if you want to trade stuff from station to station and make money.

In the stone-easy sense there are two loops of buy-sell for trade goods. As long as you've got room clear and aren't moving between dirt-poor systems (buy blueprints for a trading scanner at the anomaly and put one on your ship) you can double or triple your money; you can get 5 mill a jump from a wealthy system you clear out of goods. There are seven economy types with icons; that's what matters, not the fancy description.

Mining (pick) sells to manufacturing (gear) sells to high tech (microchip) sells to power generation (car battery) sells to mining.

Scientific (flask) sells to trading (pocketwatch) sells to advanced materials (DNA strand) sells to scientific.

Glazius on
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Followed a distress signal, and found the most shitbox tiny shuttle ever. Just a cockpit stuck to a Tetris piece. I was ready to just leave until I saw the name:

Toont's shimmering prize

... I have so many questions...who is Toont?! Why are their standards so low?!

Needless to say, it's now mine

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    How can you say these things and not include a picture.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    To be fair, there's a very fanatical player base out there dedicated to finding the absolute smallest shuttle. You may have stumbled upon it, no knowing the shimmering prize you indeed found.

• Options
    I've almost got the Class A shuttle I found completely repaired. I didn't like the name it came with, so I changed it to 'El Burro Azul'.

• Options
    This might be the weirdest planet I've found yet. Some of those hexagon plates are these weird critters with the hexagon plates for heads and tentacles beneath. They jumped up and down in an undulating wave. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a good screenshot of them.

40o4z9x08nsb.jpg

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I got a pic of some, but it doesn't really show their hexyness:
    8udbrk2zzv61.png
    Here are some other nifty critters I've seen along the way:
    sqj10149astb.png
    zo92fbuuk3dc.png
    ts5os73xjanl.png

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So I solved my Base Archives quest today.

I had not used the teleporters at all so far, as I preferred to jump around in my space ship.

But I finally clicked on one today, as I was doing the base building quest to built a power generator.
    Lo and behold, I had an option to teleport back to my first base. And that base was labeled (Base Archives) in the teleport menu.

So I finally got that done, and got some more blueprints in the process.
    I also learned that you ship teleports with you, and you can teleport to bases that don't actually have a teleporter.

Then I couldn't figure out how to get back to my most recent base, as the teleport menu does not show the system name, just the base name. And the base name does not appear to be listed on the Discoveries menu. But I was able to teleport back to the correct system.

And another thing I learned this week is that the Frigate Mission timer is active even when you're not playing, which is good as a 20+ hour mission would be crazy to wait through in Real Time.

I'm up to 7 Frigates now too, two of them being B-class. One I purchased as a B, the other I leveled up to B.

And I don't know if it was all the teleporting around a did, but I've gotten the Defend the Freighter quest like 3 or 5 times now. Nothing to beat my Class-A one that I got first though, only some C ones.

Still lots of fun so far. I haven't built a "real" base yet, but I'm slowly clicking through the base quests. I'm on the Weapons Terminal one now.
    The Science one is sad, as I kind of felt bad for the poor Korvax. He's so lonely :( . I haven't quite finished it though.

• Options
    Several of the quests are quite sad. Who wrote this thing??? lol

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Several of the quests are quite sad. Who wrote this thing??? lol

Once you dig into it, the story is way, way darker than it would outwardly appear as a lazy space exploration game.

• Options
    I've had a couple of "woah" moments in the last few days.

• Options
    End game spoilers:
    If I choose to reset the simulation, does that reset the game as well? Is it basically like a New Game + in a different galaxy? If so, can I ever go back to the old one?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My main save is still going to a black screen if I exit my ship...

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried playing this via steam link and using a controller?

I tried both a XB1 controller and PS4 controller and neither of them are able to open the inventory. I have the "official" configs for both controllers, but neither work. Everything else works fine.

On the XB1 pushing the back (or whatever that symbol is, was back on 360) is supposed to open it, but first press it doesn't do anything, second it opens the Steam overlay.

On the PS4 controller trying to push the touchpad doesn't open up the inventory like it is supposed to, it just makes the camera go wonky because it's treating it as a touchpad and not a button; despite it being set to be button press only in the controller settings in Steam.

I don't get it. I have no other controller settings in Steam/Big Picture other than this game specific configs, so afaik nothing should be intercepting the inputs and getting them wrong.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried playing this via steam link and using a controller?

I tried both a XB1 controller and PS4 controller and neither of them are able to open the inventory. I have the "official" configs for both controllers, but neither work. Everything else works fine.

On the XB1 pushing the back (or whatever that symbol is, was back on 360) is supposed to open it, but first press it doesn't do anything, second it opens the Steam overlay.

On the PS4 controller trying to push the touchpad doesn't open up the inventory like it is supposed to, it just makes the camera go wonky because it's treating it as a touchpad and not a button; despite it being set to be button press only in the controller settings in Steam.

I don't get it. I have no other controller settings in Steam/Big Picture other than this game specific configs, so afaik nothing should be intercepting the inputs and getting them wrong.

I don't use Steam Link, but I have used a Steam controller and it's absolutely wonderful for NMS. Especially the back buttons, they really let me access most if not all functions

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah if I plug a controller directly into my PC it works fine.

I was just trying to stream on my phone and everything worked great (assuming I was on wifi, when I tried on 4g nope) except the specific buttons required to open the inventory. It was weird it was both controllers, and since google didn't really help at all, I figure it either isn't widespread and I just dicked something up I can't figure out, or people just don't play the game via streaming at all.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I've had zero issues playing through steam link. Not on my phone mind you, but ge actual steam link box.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Is this single player? Or do I eventually have to play with xxxWeedSmoka420xxx?

I enjoyed Subnautica, heard this had the same kind of vibe, and am going to pick it up as soon as my check goes into the bank.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It is essentially Subnautica. You do not have to interact with other players if you don't want to.

• Options
    Okay, I purchased it. Only 3 and a half hours to download it before I get to play.

My internet is so sloooooooooow.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    So do all starting planets actively try to kill you or am I just lucky?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    iirc yes hazardous weather is part of the tutorial.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Is this single player? Or do I eventually have to play with xxxWeedSmoka420xxx?

I enjoyed Subnautica, heard this had the same kind of vibe, and am going to pick it up as soon as my check goes into the bank.

Hey, I'll let you know that xxxWeedSmoka420xxx was pretty nice to me the other day!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I am on the s3xond planet and I've been going thru the base xompiter and... technology computer? Not sure. The one that lets you researxh technology.

Anyway, I can't take off. Because my ship ran out of launch fuel. Looking online, I need either uranium, from a highly radioactive planet (not on one) or the blueprints for making my own fuel.

How screwed am I?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I feel like you should already have the blueprint for it, but I don't recall how the early game does things. Should have given you the BP around the time you got the ship itself, because otherwise you can sit there and oops out of launch fuel before getting any farther.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    yeah you should already have the blueprint for it, and you definitely don't need uranium

• Options
    I spent several minutes on Google and finally fpund out I should have been able to craft it all along, like metal plates.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah. You can make launch fuel, or you can refuel with just uranium.

But it's been forever since I did the tutorial, I thought making the launch fuel was a step in getting off your first planet.

• Options
    It may have. That part seemed to go so fast, and it was just collecting stuff and click here to repair such and such and I didn't really have a sense of what I was doing.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It is essentially Subnautica. You do not have to interact with other players if you don't want to.

Eeeeh, Subnautica has an actual story focus to it and doesn't present a ton of bloated grinding as "gameplay". I would not at all compare the two beyond "building stuff on an alien planet".

• Options
    Luckily "on an alien planet" does a lot to smooth the grinding hate out for me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm watching videos that show how to make 100 mill in an hour, and what kinds of planets to look for, and where to find the best ships, multi-tools, etc.

And I'm over here with almost 2 mill because I found one piece of technology, that was worth a mill and a half. And I'm still using the same ship. Because the others cost too much, and I can seem to find any other planets, unless I just go off the rails.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wish this game was fixed so I could actually play my main save.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Luckily "on an alien planet" does a lot to smooth the grinding hate out for me.

I picked it up on sales for PS4 so I could give it a spin in VR and, while they did a pretty good job on the PSVR version, I played for about three hours before I was back to going "why the fuck did I buy this again when it's the same ten minutes of gameplay recycled a million million times?"

I really need my base construction stuff to have a point beyond "build somewhere pretty" or "help me grind out more stuff for a super-grindy game".

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Has the VR performance been improved since Beyond?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm watching videos that show how to make 100 mill in an hour, and what kinds of planets to look for, and where to find the best ships, multi-tools, etc.

And I'm over here with almost 2 mill because I found one piece of technology, that was worth a mill and a half. And I'm still using the same ship. Because the others cost too much, and I can seem to find any other planets, unless I just go off the rails.

Go off the rails.