As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I don't see that an expedition news page is up yet but steam is downloading 6.6GB of No Man's Sky so I'm guessing the next expedition is either live or about to be live.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So pretty. DLSS is probably the biggest news in that patch for me. Gimme them frames.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    • Planetary Charts that fail to locate a building are no longer consumed.
    • Planetary Charts that fail to locate a building will give an error message with guidance as to why.
    • When purchasing a freighter, your previous freighter base will now be automatically transferred and reassembled aboard the new freighter.
    • A new option has been added to the freighter upgrade terminal that allows players to reset their freighter base back to the default layout.
    • A new component recipe research station has been added to the Space Anomaly. This terminal allows the research of component recipes in exchange for nanites. Planetary factories and harvesters will still offer component recipes as exploration rewards.
    • Pinning instructions will now advise players to visit the Space Anomaly to unlock recipes they do not have access to.
    • Pinning instructions will now advise players to purchase components from the Space Station if the player does not know the recipe and components are easy to purchase.

Nice.

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    That's perfect timing. Just got my free freighter and was wondering about freighter bases being a waste of time since they didn't transfer.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    That's perfect timing. Just got my free freighter and was wondering about freighter bases being a waste of time since they didn't transfer.

Yeah, I like my plus-sized frieghter but it's good to know that I got options in case a better version of it comes along somehow.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I haven't played No Man's Sky since they added tameable animals, so I figured I'd jump in today and try it out. I caught a thing that's like a cross between a cabbage, a vulva, and a squid? And it flies around in the air? It's cute as fuck tho

9254852D4EDFD147C8FFCA669C1C43B14562D573

Here's one of me, my pet, and my living ship!

D632F0F8660E7AECDD51BB9555E2779DEC30CF88

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I've been on this hex planet for an hour and I can't find a single collectible glitch. Ugh.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I've been on this hex planet for an hour and I can't find a single collectible glitch. Ugh.

That's odd, they should show up pretty clearly in your scanner.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm feeling pretty good about my first base I've been upgrading as I progress through the game. It's all snug in between some snowy hills.

C7GOXqa.jpg?1

I should probably look into making another base somewhere, maybe near some resource nodes and set some miners up on them. Probably just make them using prefabs instead of having fun with the basic structures.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    And here I am just building a simple 7x7 tower as my first base. I do have an underground exocraft garage that opens into a cave (like batman). I'm still working my way through the terminal quests to unlock as many blueprints as I can before I use the anomaly to unlock stuff.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It'd be a lot more fun to make bases in manipulated terrain; but it's way too common that you hit the universal terrain edit cap and it starts undoing your stuff, and you return to a completely buried base. :(

Hell, it's hard to build a base where there has ever been any sort of trees, prior, as you can just pop to the Space Station and back and for no apparent reason your base can be filled in with trees and other flora, sometimes ones that can't be removed at all.

The only real way to have a base how you want it, and stay that way (and even then it's not 100%) is to find as flat of an area as possible, as large as possible and just build it all above ground. Even using foundations is iffy, because they tend to not display correctly on any return visit, so you might have some cool design that incorporates them, lifting buildings with them, only to come back and have a floating foundation with the struts cut off in the sky.

It's all one of the primary reasons I almost never get fancy with base building and just do the bare basics for whatever it is I need. Occasionally I'll get a bit into it if I can be fairly sure bugs and limitations won't undo a good amount of my work, but it's usually easier to just built a couple prefabs for whatever and move on.

Anyway, the update was fine. Maybe because I already played PC with everything maxed, I honestly don't see a massive difference a lot of times. Some improved textures in some places, but they're offset by still existing clipping errors all over and the reflections are super grainy and seem to have a fairly low update rate. I might not have noticed if I hadn't just played through Mass Effect LE where they added all these reflections, but capped the reflections refresh at 30fps, which is more jarring, when you're at 120fps, than not having the reflections at all. It's like the reflections are dragging behind everything else and it's more distracting than anything else. It's not as bad in NMS, but the reflection quality is really weirdly low with a ton of artifacts.

I tried DLSS too, just for shits, and while it did up the framerate a bit, it also resulted in tons of areas of the screen when I'd move the camera, have a weird delayed draw, similar to the reflections they use. It's hard to describe what it looks like, but it just makes sections of the screen seem to refresh slower than others, for a bizarre effect that I couldn't handle. Maybe it's just not meant to be used under 4k, and using it at 1080 results in the recreated image being so low quality that the AI they're using to produce the upscaling just can't compensate for starting with such low rez images? I don't know. I hope it's more useful for people at 4k or using VR.

I don't mean to come off as so negative. I definitely appreciate the effort, and improvements are improvements. I just wish they were a bit more focused on correcting ancient, and known, bugs, than adding more visual stuff. You can make all the lighting and fancy reflections and texture changes you want, but if the game is still dumping terrain edits on bases, and having things you build bug out, or the insane clipping on the station vendors, or on the freighters if you try to repaint the room right outside of the stairs to your base, and can't manage to repaint the "hidden" room that's right under it for some reason, it causes the whole room to clip like mad.

Just, one update to fix all that known, obvious, crap, would be so welcome.

EDIT: Also, they need to just make base parts that aren't pre-fabs powered, or some sort of proximity power source you can hide along with wires. There are too many limitations to not using prefabs, too many lights/decorations that don't work properly, and the lights that you can use don't provide proper lighting to actually light up a non-prefab building. So even if you go through and do something like wire up hidden industrial lights to power other lights, those other lights still don't really provide enough light to light up a room more than extremely dimly.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever done more than slap 2 or 3 pre-fab rooms together and stuff all the NPC terminals in them, and even that's mostly gone by the wayside since you can put all of them except exocraft guy onto the freighter base. Main advantage an actual base provides is the biodome gather everything button but how often do you actually NEED any of the plants?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Seriously, let me use that damn ceiling light in my non-prefab building. I was so confused when I tried to get it to work the first time. That's part of the reason for the ceiling windows in my base, lol. Gotta get some natural light in there somehow. Also, they should totally have glass versions of those angular roof panels, those would look super cool as windows.

I also wish there was an easier way to find A/S rank power waveform areas. Was flying across a planet I'm looking at building a second base on and stopping every once in awhile to pull out my scanner and look for nearby power signals, did it for like a full hour, found a couple B's, a couple C's, no A's or S's, and most of the time nothing at all. Might just settle for a B rank if I get desperate.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I tend to do rooms with portal/save/etc, a hallway filled on each side with storage containers, and then a large cuboid room filled with the various NPCs

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Never any anywhere. I finally gave up. I’ll try again some other time on another planet. It’s the only glitch I don’t have!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Never any anywhere. I finally gave up. I’ll try again some other time on another planet. It’s the only glitch I don’t have!
    @akjak I had no idea what these things were when I stumbled across some, but it looks like it's very inconsistent. This one electric cube planet wasn't showing any of them, even when I was standing next to one and staring it down with my scanner. I'm basically relying on them having slightly different coloration at times.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I use cuboid rooms and the large prefabricated pieces and I don't ever have issues with my bases forgetting my terrain edits. Then again, Though I've got one fairly large base for growing plants so I can make tons of items to sell for hundreds of millions of units, the rest are either somewhat small, or so small because all I need is a 3x3 of cuboid rooms to put a portal and some of those gathering things for the mining equipment or gas collection equipment I have near. Which is really the only reason for me to have a base other than the super old one.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Huh...loaded this up for the first time in a year and one of the patches in between has made all the trees on my base planet intangible..I can see them but I can walk through them and can't harvest them..This is going to make getting carbon tedious :o

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Easiest way to get carbon in bulk is to get in your ship and strafe the planet with your ship weapons, especially if you have a very fast attack weapon like the infra-knife and/or decent damage upgrades. It's sounds hilariously stupid but it works very well, because you're basically bulk mining trees.

Nope, the easiest way to get carbon is build a bunch of “standing planter” on your freighter. Harvest, then walk down to the flight deck. When you come back up, it will all have respawned. Repeat til you’re bored.

edited June 2021
    That doesn't sound like "a 9999 stack in less than thirty seconds" easiest to me.

Donnicton on
    Donnicton wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like "a 9999 stack in less than thirty seconds" easiest to me.

Does that work for other elements, too? I imagine like, trees or whatever that are two elements would drop both, right?

Stabbity_Style.png
    It does, though since secondary elements from plants etc. usually have a pretty abysmal return to begin it would of course take proportionally longer to get anything substantial.

You can occasionally find planets where the rewards from mining any given thing is absurd.

I found a planet in one of the various expedition playthrough (I did 1 on PS4 and PC, and 2 on PS4 and three PC's :rotate: then I learned you can just edit a file to give yourself the expedition rewards and I didn't need to re-run the 2nd on my kids computers after they got copies of the game for their PC's) where a single plant would give about 500 carbon and 200 Radon.

I'm sure there's some way I could have taken advantage of that in a huge way, but I already was sitting on over two billion units, so...?

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    New update is out! Procedural settlements!

https://www.nomanssky.com/frontiers-update/

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    That is an ambitious update

6.6GB on Steam

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Honest question here. How the hell do they still make any money on this game?

They have been dropping free updates to the game for 5 years now. The game goes on sale for pretty cheap very frequently. Where are they finding new players to buy the game to support the costs to continue this awesome trend of post-release content?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining here. It's awesome! But I don't understand the economics of it.

Lucascraft on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Sweet. I want to see Mos Eisly made in NMS now. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    They've said some time ago that they get a large number of new sales with each major patch that allows them to continue working on content without having to go to a paid model.

edited September 2021
    I'm curious if the new building stuff also includes actual lighting for non-prefab buildings.

The pre-existing lighting options for custom bases was virtually non-existent, and you couldn't really fully light any interiors; with none of the minor lighting structures that weren't attached to a pre-fab grid, radiating light more than a couple feet beyond their models.

The screenshots on the Frontiers page showing the settlements doesn't give me a ton of hope, all the interiors look dim and like the only lighting in space is via candles. :(

Anyway, don't mean to come across as negative, I'll jump in, in a bit to check it all out. I love the ideas at least!

And its great that apparently quicksilver unlocks are now account wide; that was always profoundly stupid that they weren't. I don't suppose I'd be so lucky that the account included different platforms, but hey, maybe they'll surprise me (I'd love to not do the expeditions twice!).

EDIT: more save slots = yay!

having those saves be "streaming" concerns me! If my internet is out, will I not have access to my saves? Or am I misunderstanding what they mean by streaming?

The Dude With Herpes on

Fixed an animation issue that could occur when stroking a companion immediately before mounting them.

That's one hell of a patch note, that will definitely not become a meme. :lol:

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    They also sold an extraordinarily large amount of games even before all the updates, and the team is quite small.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm curious if the new building stuff also includes actual lighting for non-prefab buildings.

The pre-existing lighting options for custom bases was virtually non-existent, and you couldn't really fully light any interiors; with none of the minor lighting structures that weren't attached to a pre-fab grid, radiating light more than a couple feet beyond their models.

The screenshots on the Frontiers page showing the settlements doesn't give me a ton of hope, all the interiors look dim and like the only lighting in space is via candles. :(

Anyway, don't mean to come across as negative, I'll jump in, in a bit to check it all out. I love the ideas at least!

And its great that apparently quicksilver unlocks are now account wide; that was always profoundly stupid that they weren't. I don't suppose I'd be so lucky that the account included different platforms, but hey, maybe they'll surprise me (I'd love to not do the expeditions twice!).

EDIT: more save slots = yay!

having those saves be "streaming" concerns me! If my internet is out, will I not have access to my saves? Or am I misunderstanding what they mean by streaming?
    Stream loading doesn't refer to being online. It refers to not having to preload data in full, instead loading data as the game runs, per-need.

The oldest use of "stream loading" I can recall was in the PS1 era, where a handful of games with ambitious engines were able to constantly background-load level and asset data from the disc as you played, and thus enjoyed larger areas, with incredible performance and much lower preload times than other games.

In this update NMS save files were changed so they're not one big file, and so each file does not need to be fully loaded into memory; just the parts currently needed. These changes are what freed up the resources for the new features, like more advanced bases and 2× the max number of local-only saved discoveries.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited September 2021
    So they made it so you could change your summoned ship on the pad, while in the nexus.

But you can't in a space station.

Good half change! Hopefully the option comes to stations too. It's really irritating to have to do a ton of teleports and flybacks if you have a bunch of ships to scrap.

If this was something you could already do on the nexus, ignore me. I wasn't aware, maybe because you couldn't on stations so I just didn't try on the nexus?

EDIT: it's too bad the change to account quicksilver purchases came after having had to delete so many saves over the past year for expeditions and playing with my kids. I'm sure there's some I had unlocked that I'll have to re-unlock.

Make sure you load all your save files and check the vendor; it doesn't unlock the stuff you've gotten by default, you have to manually check on each save to get it all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    FRONTIERS launch trailer looks good and totally didn't expect that (though the name is pretty damn obvious after the fact); did notice some stuttering in the video so hopefully it is just a blip.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, can we use our old saves anyways? I'm not interested in ever starting from ground level; I'd already bought all the research and add-ons and was working on perfecting my ships and guns, and if that's all gone . . . I'm much less likely to play.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Scrolling down the update page, I see we're getting a third expedition at some point as well, neat.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, can we use our old saves anyways? I'm not interested in ever starting from ground level; I'd already bought all the research and add-ons and was working on perfecting my ships and guns, and if that's all gone . . . I'm much less likely to play.

If it's anything like every other update, yes, you can, but you might run into a bug or two depending on how old your save is

I'm not sure that happens a lot, but my launch saves got kinda broke by the revamps they did to tutorialization and basebuilding updates at one point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET