Options

Tokyo Game Show 2016 starring The Last Guardian

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Have a new Valkyria: Azure Revolution trailer

https://youtu.be/NnuFNnNSFC4

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Gonna be real sad when we don't get Valkyria

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    is that Valkyria still using the Valkyria Chronicles battle system

because if not, passsss

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    is that Valkyria still using the Valkyria Chronicles battle system

because if not, passsss

No, it's a standard JRPG

While I do love VC's combat system, I love the trend recently (this, World of FF, Monster Hunter Stories) of "we're just gonna make a basic ass traditional JRPG entry in this franchise"

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Why do they have swords

THats a good way to die in war

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Give me all games in traditional JRPG style.

I want menus, people! Menus!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Give me all games in traditional JRPG style.

I want menus, people! Menus!

Well, not to be the bearer of bad news but the new Valkyria Chronicles is not a traditional JRPG, you won't find menus here.

It's an action RPG first and foremost. (And not a very good looking one at that, imo.)

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Well I was momentarily excited about a new valkyria chronicles but that is dead now

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    They just managed to rub like 90% of the charm out of their art style. If it looked like an upgraded Canvas engine or something it might help, but it just looks...dull.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    They cranked up the fantasy to the point that it looks just like any generic jrpg

Also where are the tanks

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Why do they have swords

Looks like someone didn't die repeatedly on that one mission where Selvaria repeatedly fucks your entire unit into the dirt with a sword

Also eff the haters, that game looks rad. It doesn't have VC's old canvas style but it also doesn't look like the billions of other interchangeable JRPGs hitting the PS4

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    To be fair that sword shoots giant lasers that annihilates tanks

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Why do they have swords

Looks like someone didn't die repeatedly on that one mission where Selvaria repeatedly fucks your entire unit into the dirt with a sword

Also eff the haters, that game looks rad. It doesn't have VC's old canvas style but it also doesn't look like the billions of other interchangeable JRPGs hitting the PS4

I dunno, apart from people constantly yelling "Valkyria!" you could tell me it's a new Tales of... game and I'd believe you.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    They showed a trailer months ago that was all magic swords and anime titties.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Now if it was magic titties and anime swords, then I'd be interested.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I mean it has those too I'm pretty sure.

• Options
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    They cranked up the fantasy to the point that it looks just like any generic jrpg

Also where are the tanks

It's not like you can't crank up the fantasy in a war setting and still be visually distinct

Lost Odyssey's opening still doesn't look quite like anything else

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    To be fair that sword shoots giant lasers that annihilates tanks

I'm pretty sure that was a lance.

So, you know, that explains everything.

• Options
    A lance is a sword though

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    A lance is a sword though

lances are big heavy spears that you hold out in front of you as hard as you can while riding a charging horse

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I think the kinetic movement that The Last Guardian is trying to convey is a very neat idea, conceptually, would have blown my mind when it was initially intended to be released

• Options
    I don't think you can delay a game over entire generations and not have it come out feeling dated.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    definitely

I really appreciate that the kid doesn't move the same way Every Other Person In A Video Game does, is all

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The movement is fine so long as the game does not demand precise platforming

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It feels like Last Guardian will have to be judged on the standards of a 2011 game than a 2016 one, or else it'll fall pretty short

They're still working on a fairly dated design document, all of the delays have been tech-based, so it's still pretty much the same game the whole time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    One thing it has going for it is that nobody else really trades in the same sort of third person exploration/environmental puzzle solving that Team ICO does

So at the very least, it's not like the years of delays have necessarily worn away at the appeal of those games

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ps2 games are in fashion

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It feels like Last Guardian will have to be judged on the standards of a 2011 game than a 2016 one, or else it'll fall pretty short

They're still working on a fairly dated design document, all of the delays have been tech-based, so it's still pretty much the same game the whole time

Just like how everyone judged Duke Nukem Forever on the standards of a 2001 game, right?

• Options
    I would definitely rather play Return to Castle Wolfenstein over DNF

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Just like how everyone judged Duke Nukem Forever on the standards of a 2001 game, right?

That game wasn't great even by 2001 standards though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kameo ended up being ok

• Options

But that doesn't mean it was judged as a 2001 game.

• Options
    The only reason why DNF got finished is because they knew it would sell copies based solely on the joke of it never getting released..

• Options
    DNF was not good but nowhere near as bad as everyone claims

• Options

It was a bad game by literally any year's standards, I don't understand your point. Its problems were not problems of having been designed in 2001. Its problems were that it was designed badly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

It was a bad game by literally any year's standards, I don't understand your point. Its problems were not problems of having been designed in 2001. Its problems were that it was designed badly.

I was saying that in response to Mr. G saying TLG will have to be judged as a 2011 game, which I doubt will happen due to how DNF reviewed, which yes it was a bad game in any era, but people did (and rightfully so) point out that much of it's design felt extremely dated. It was judged as a game in the era it came out and not the era it was originally designed in, which again, is what Mr. G was saying would have to happen for TLG to not fall short.

• Options

I was saying that in response to Mr. G saying TLG will have to be judged as a 2011 game, which I doubt will happen due to how DNF reviewed, which yes it was a bad game in any era, but people did (and rightfully so) point out that much of it's design felt extremely dated. It was judged as a game in the era it came out and not the era it was originally designed in, which again, is what Mr. G was saying would have to happen for TLG to not fall short.

Ah, gotcha. To that end, I think some people will be willing to make that concession and others will not and neither approach is particularly right or wrong. Such is the way of video games, really. Everyone has certain things they are unwilling to compromise on or look past, and everyone sets those limits differently. Based on how people have approached previous Team Ico games, though, I'm not too worried about it. The fans of that studio seem to be willing to overlook a lot, so long as the core of the game is good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif