Options

Tokyo Game Show 2016 starring The Last Guardian

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blu-Rays still sell pretty well despite the whole HAHA PHYSICAL MEDIUMS ARE DEAD thing the internet believes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    seen a few tweets along the lines of "who are those guys?" so might not be accurate, but if it is then I can only see it as a major omission.

Scratch that, engadget confirmed it

fools!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    That was 10 years ago, when people still bought stuff like blu-ray discs

Yeah but the big thing now is pushing the console as the unified home entertainment system. Not supporting one major facet of that is a bizarre omission. Like, "it plays your movies too" isn't a main pillar, but it's a real good feature to push someone off the fence with. This makes the PS4 Pro a bit less compelling for a lot of people who own PS4s already.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I buy all my Marvel movies on Blu-ray

And kids movies are still a really big thing because portability is a big bonus and lots of people can't afford tablets

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So... no mention of Red Dead then?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So... no mention of Red Dead then?

Nyet.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    It's surely a case that they thought "Yeah, we could add that player in there but it's going to jack the price of the system up by $100-200, so let's leave it out and hope that physical media really is dead".

Or maybe they just wanted to show they had courage...

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Red Dead is the new HL3

• Options
    Red Dead is the new HL3

Half Dead: Red Life

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    So what they're saying is it would be impossible for me to watch 4K stuff

because my internet can't handle 1080 except on the best of days

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

Yes

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options

You've got to stop thinking about the 'nows', start thinking about the... later nows.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I would really like a side by side of a game running on a ps4 vs ps4 pro both at 1080p so I could decide of I should upgrade

I get that it's up to the devs of the game as to how they want to utilise that extra horsepower difference but show me something tangible here.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I would really like a side by side of a game running on a ps4 vs ps4 pro both at 1080p so I could decide of I should upgrade

I get that it's up to the devs of the game as to how they want to utilise that extra horsepower difference but show me something tangible here.

Aren't there only slightly more than six games taking advantage of it right now?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Huh, for some reason I was always under the impression that this was a physical upgrade to a PS4 rather than a just standalone. The latest N64 memory pack, latched onto the top... somehow. The club sandwich look just makes me think it moreso, but I guess not.

Kinda hard for me to rationalize getting a new console when the current one works perfectly well. Seeing some tangible displays of differences in capability would really help.

• Options

Aren't there only slightly more than six games taking advantage of it right now?

ahem...over half a dozen, actually.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

I thought every game from September on had to launch with some sort of improvement on the pro

I definitely remember reading that

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

Yup. And that's fine. Do a side by side of one of those 6. Show me, as someone with a bog standard 1080p TV, why I should care about this thing.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Will the PS4 Pro have any games the PS4 won't?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Yup. And that's fine. Do a side by side of one of those 6. Show me, as someone with a bog standard 1080p TV, why I should care about this thing.

They did that during the presentation. It was mostly supersampling and some extra fog in Paragon. It wasn't as obvious in the others.

Edit: And I bet there will be a Digital Foundry video going deep into it whenever the press reviews go up.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

No, at least that's what they're saying for now.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

No. Developers aren't allowed to do that. At least until Sony feels comfortable leaving original ps4 owners in the dust.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well then I care nothing for the Pro. I have a 2TB hard drive in my ps4 now.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

They did that during the presentation. It was mostly supersampling and some extra fog in Paragon. It wasn't as obvious in the others.

Edit: And I bet there will be a Digital Foundry video going deep into it whenever the press reviews go up.

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to wait for DF to do a deep dive to get what I'm really looking for.

• Options
    They have confirmed that multiplayer framerate has to be the same between standard and Pro

So those of you hoping for a Dark Souls or Destiny update or something like that, sorry

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    They have confirmed that multiplayer framerate has to be the same between standard and Pro

So those of you hoping for a Dark Souls or Destiny update or something like that, sorry

They'd pretty much have to mandate that. If having the new console gave you a real edge in multiplayer that would be A Problem.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Also, here's a little inside baseball about software development. When you develop for a fixed system, you can start "cheating" in all sorts of neat ways. For example, this is why sometimes you have situations where games that get ported to PC initially have a frame rate cap. You would be amazed at how many underlying things can get directly tied to the frame rate of a given game. Something you can take for granted on a console no longer applies to a scalable system. So you either rework the logic or you restrict the scalability. So the only existing games that will see any real improvement from the Pro will be those the devs go back to and start tinkering with.

• Options
    Also, here's a little inside baseball about software development. When you develop for a fixed system, you can start "cheating" in all sorts of neat ways. For example, this is why sometimes you have situations where games that get ported to PC initially have a frame rate cap. You would be amazed at how many underlying things can get directly tied to the frame rate of a given game. Something you can take for granted on a console no longer applies to a scalable system. So you either rework the logic or you restrict the scalability. So the only existing games that will see any real improvement from the Pro will be those the devs go back to and start tinkering with.

Dunno if it's still done much, but I know back in the day, games would take advantage of hardware limitations based around clock rates and the number of objects supported on the screen and whathaveyou to do neat things that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, which is why some old games are tough to emulate in software.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The reason I bring it up is because I've already seen people saying they were excited to get a better frame rate in Destiny with this thing and (aside from Sony's position on frame rate parity for multiplayer games), that's not how this works, unfortunately.

• Options
    Sounds like Rise of the Tomb Raider is doing the thing that sounds the best with PS4 Pro

They have 3 modes:

1080p w/ a focus on framerate (target 60, but could dip to 45)
    1080p locked at 30fps with all the bells and whistles turned on

• Options

They'd pretty much have to mandate that. If having the new console gave you a real edge in multiplayer that would be A Problem.

Why would it be?

I play Rocket League against people on PC that have a better framerate than I do

• Options

Why would it be?

I play Rocket League against people on PC that have a better framerate than I do

That's an accepted/necessary risk of a PC, where the hardware is completely non-standardized. One of the big selling points of a console is standard hardware that levels the playing field in that regard and if owners of the upgraded version had a distinct advantage in multiplayer due to better performance, that would basically be a betrayal of early adopters, many of whom can not afford to upgrade a $400 system that they purchased with an expected lifespan of at least 5 years. Their whole thing is predicated on not leaving owners of the original system behind. Hell you could probably even wring a consumer protection lawsuit out of it, considering they're releasing a revision of the old version mere months before the new one that at that point would be objectively better.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Sounds like Rise of the Tomb Raider is doing the thing that sounds the best with PS4 Pro

They have 3 modes:

1080p w/ a focus on framerate (target 60, but could dip to 45)
    1080p locked at 30fps with all the bells and whistles turned on

This is rad

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Anyone got a picture of the PS4 Pro?

I missed this conference. I hope the Best Friends streamed it, maybe I can watch that vid when they put it up

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »

I missed this conference. I hope the Best Friends streamed it, maybe I can watch that vid when they put it up

It's up here!

https://www.twitch.tv/superbestfriendsplay/profile

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "Female Ryder will be the default this go around"

- first gameplay footage ever is of male Ryder -

Yeah that was pretty awkward. Hopefully the upcoming trailer will be different.

I'm glad we finally get something tangible footage-wise, even if it does suffer from my old nemesis, Slow Trailer Walk.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/07/playstation-meeting-2016-introducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/
    29418648132_e578e7764d_z.jpg

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular