So I'm stuck in Chicago for 12 hours

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I should try and get a pizza with just the sauce

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2016
    Yeah you gotta have basil for a margherita

US cheese pizza is basically pepperoni without the pepperoni.

tynic on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I ordered a pepperoni pizza a month or so ago.

It came with onion and tomato on it as well.

I called up kinda annoyed cause that is not what the ordered, and then it turns out their pepperoni comes with all of that stuff? I kinda feel if you want to advertise that pizza, you don't get to call it pepperoni.

Blake T on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Frontera wasn't open by the time I left, I had to make do with a McDonalds (which was honestly pretty great after not eating for 16 hours). Although it was breakfast time and breakfast at McDonalds is not my favourite.

This may be the first time in the known history of man that catching an early flight was actually a bad thing.

Though given the amount of time stuck in the airport and all that time without eating I'm sure it felt like a good thing. But was it really? Really??
    Don't answer those rhetorical questions.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    margheritas should have basil

but I often see that they don't at a lot of places

and the term is pretty much used to make "cheese pizza" sound interesting.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Margheritas should also be made with fairly spread out blobs of fresh mozzarella rather than the shredded mozzarella or mozzarella blend that makes up most of a typical "cheese pizza." Anybody calling their pizza margherita without the basil and the fresh mozz is doing it wrong.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This whole adventure left me in a state where I literally don't know what day it is. It could be the fucking weekend! Who knows?!

I'm like 80% sure it isn't still thursday.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    This whole adventure left me in a state where I literally don't know what day it is. It could be the fucking weekend! Who knows?!

I'm like 80% sure it isn't still thursday.

it's probably not.

• Options
    The main confusion was that I couldn't even remember when I left. I can look at the date now (it's Friday by the way) and go "oh ok I guess I left on... Wednesday" but brain fog basically killed those two days.

I've never gotten so tired that I felt like I was going to vomit before. I was so tired that I couldn't speak English properly and had to ask my cab driver to speak French so my brain could cope with my more limited vocabulary.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Where are you that French is the easiest option?

Are you... In France?

Quebec?

Also, that is straight rotten. Long airport to airport travel is the fucking worst. Next to I guess probably travel by covered wagon, I suspect that sucked.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think I would rather die than travel by covered wagon.

But the feeling of exhaustion and filth that comes with being on an airplane for longer that a handful of hours is...

Well, there really isn't anything like it.

• Options

Are you... In France?

Quebec?

Also, that is straight rotten. Long airport to airport travel is the fucking worst. Next to I guess probably travel by covered wagon, I suspect that sucked.

Quebec, and my French isn't great

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Here's what you should do in Chicago.

Find some little shit bar, and drink a whole bunch of whatever. Have a few shots of Malort in there somewhere.

Then, do a search for italian beef on your phone. Stumble to the nearest place that's open, and get an italian beef dipped.

That is good, delicious times.

Sorry but a combo is the truth and the light.

It's a direct tunnel to heaven by way of cardiac arrest.

As an aside, anyone who sends me giardiniera in the post, I'll send you some Singapore food mysteries.

A combo is just way too much food. Because you're gonna get a side of cheese fries with whatever you get.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My family actually never does. Never has, even.

Because we get a pizza with the combo sandwiches. Natch.

E: but I want it to be clear that it's the superior Chicago style of pizza, not that tourist BS, so it's like. You know. Healthy.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Margheritas should also be made with fairly spread out blobs of fresh mozzarella rather than the shredded mozzarella or mozzarella blend that makes up most of a typical "cheese pizza." Anybody calling their pizza margherita without the basil and the fresh mozz is doing it wrong.

Yeah, margherita pizza is generally something you get from upscale places that do everything in authentic wood fired ovens and the like. Cheese pizza is what you get from, like, Dominos.

A good margherita pizza is pretty great. That perfect crust, the fresh mozzarella, that hit of basil... whereas cheese pizza is something I eat only if, like, we order pizza at work and they ran out of everything else before I could get there.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    My family actually never does. Never has, even.

Because we get a pizza with the combo sandwiches. Natch.

E: but I want it to be clear that it's the superior Chicago style of pizza, not that tourist BS, so it's like. You know. Healthy.

When my wife was pregnant all she could eat for the first trimester was a plain beef and cheese fries. And there's a Portillo's on the way home.

We had a lot of cheese fries.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Are you... In France?

Quebec?

Quebec, and my French isn't great

You're in luck, neither is theirs

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

My friend Matt is a vegan, and we went out to Lou Malnati's after helping his girlfriend move

The rest of us got like, a normal deep dish pizza, and he got for himself a personal deep dish without the cheese

No other toppings, either

It was just like a bread bowl full of tomato sauce, but apparently he really likes it

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    there was some cartoon that was on after school way back when I was in primary school where there was some cat that lived in a junkyard and went on adventures and stuff

and the cat loved pizza, and the show would draw this pizza so it was just dough and sauce and to an 8 year old me it looked like the most amazing thing in the world for some reason

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

My friend Matt is a vegan, and we went out to Lou Malnati's after helping his girlfriend move

The rest of us got like, a normal deep dish pizza, and he got for himself a personal deep dish without the cheese

No other toppings, either

It was just like a bread bowl full of tomato sauce, but apparently he really likes it

He should've just ordered the chicken parmesan

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I actually don't like Portillo's.

There are about four billion places to get better hot dogs and better combos and better Italian beefs in Chicago.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this is why we never had fries.

Also this thread inspired me to watch the Parts Unknown episode on Chicago from last season and this dude just described a Sox fan's perfect day: "He wants the Sox to win, the Cubs to lose, and then the Cubs' plane crashes."

It's funny because it's true!

E: Another priceless quote: "To be around Cubs fans... is to hate them."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    there was some cartoon that was on after school way back when I was in primary school where there was some cat that lived in a junkyard and went on adventures and stuff

and the cat loved pizza, and the show would draw this pizza so it was just dough and sauce and to an 8 year old me it looked like the most amazing thing in the world for some reason

Top cat?

Blake T on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Heathcliff.

The leader cat that lived in the junkyard was Riff-Raff.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You americans have crazy amount of pizza choice,

In the Uk have you:

normal base

thin base

deep pan.

I think that's it

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    You should see the pizzas they turn out in Japan. They get wild over there.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anime pizza with tentacle dicks and used panties.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    America, I was really disappointed when I visited you and you were boasting salty pretzel crust Dominos pizzas and then I ordered one of your salty pretzel crust pizzas and it was just normal crust with salt sprinkled into it.

they probably ran out of the pretzel crust and figured you'd be too dumb to notice. it works pretty often.

I was so annoyed.

But admittedly the pizza was still quite good.

So I hate-ate the hell out of it.

Something in this story does not check out.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Anime pizza with tentacle dicks and used panties.

Shell-on shrimp, corn, and mayonnaise.

All of the mayonnaise.

It's... fine.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Ain't nothin wrong with chain pizza.

It's comfort food.

Local is better though.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Worst pizza I've ever had was in Iceland. Ordered something called The American, which was pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and cheese. It didn't have any sauce and just didn't taste like anything. Ugh.

That's because it wasn't made with freedom.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Huh

I had pizza twice when I was in Reykjavik and both were pretty good

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I ordered a pepperoni pizza a month or so ago.

It came with onion and tomato on it as well.

I called up kinda annoyed cause that is not what the ordered, and then it turns out their pepperoni comes with all of that stuff? I kinda feel if you want to advertise that pizza, you don't get to call it pepperoni.

Yeah, that's almost a Supreme.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

It's comfort food.

Local is better though.

99% of the time, yeah. Not in my town though, the local pizza joint is double the price and half the quality of the Dominos.

Yeah.

I mean, Aussie Dominos really isn't that bad, but come the fuck on, local pizza joint!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

It's comfort food.

Local is better though.

I don't disagree. I have Pizza Hut on the reg.

Dominos is bad by chain pizza standards. Or maybe every Dominos in my area is just incompetent. But they are the chain that had a national campaign that was literally "hey we don't suck so bad now".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    And that campaign was largely correct, in my experience

They're a lot better now, at least from what I've tasted (I never order chain pizza myself, so it's a rare thing)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I never get national chain pizza, but you bet I will get myself some Rosati's on the regular

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    And that campaign was largely correct, in my experience

They're a lot better now, at least from what I've tasted (I never order chain pizza myself, so it's a rare thing)

Yeah Dominos totally wins the "most improved" award

They just still aren't amazing thats all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I miss Johnny's Pizza House, from living in north Louisiana

I don't know if it was ever really that good, but they always tasted real nice to me as a kid. Never did triangular slices, either. They'd cut the pizza in half, and then cut the two halves into two-inch-wide segments perpendicular to the first cut. Never found another pizza place did it that way, but as a kid I liked it

Now I'm all nostalgic for food I'll never eat again

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Everybody at Uchicago was obsessed with Giordano's. If people found out somebody hadn't eaten it before, they'd literally order a pizza to make the person try it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Heathcliff.

The leader cat that lived in the junkyard was Riff-Raff.

I loved that show. The theme song is awesome. I don't see any pizza immediately visible, though.

uyvfOQy.png