Options

[New Router] Setting up a Guest Password? Better software?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
I recently picked up a Asus TM-AC1900 from a T-Mobile sale (+50% off for some T-Mobile branding...not bad), to replace my increasingly inadequate Linksys E1200 router. At least this one actually has bloody system status lights.

One thing I miss though is that the Linksys router had Cisco Connect, which seems a bit more comprehensive than the option on the Asus, which is directly connecting to the router's onboard software. Which is pretty good, but not perfect.

To start, the Cisco software had a neat feature for a guest account--it was an open network that sent you directly to a login screen page, where you entered the password. On the Asus, that's not an option--for guest networking, my only option seems to be network with a WPA number-only key (no letters) that you log into via your network manager. Which kind of sucks by comparison. I could set up a guest network as a normal network, but it seems you lose some of the easy guest functions (like time limits, etc.).

It's a much improved router (dual-band for starters), but the onboard software kind of suck next to Cisco Connect. Is there any similar alternative for Asus routers? If there is, it's not on their website.

Synthesis on

Posts

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Take a look at Tomato and DD-WRT. Both of those communities tend to be very good about supporting newer router models. Asus, at least for a while, was running a customized version of DD-WRT on their routers, right out of the box.

    I'd doubt that Cisco has a version of their software you can buy and load yourself, but it's at least worth a look. There's probably a forum out there somewhere that has links to this stuff.


    Also, I'm thinking we should start a Router/Networking thread, but I would want a proper OP and that takes time.

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Take a look at Tomato and DD-WRT. Both of those communities tend to be very good about supporting newer router models. Asus, at least for a while, was running a customized version of DD-WRT on their routers, right out of the box.

    I'd doubt that Cisco has a version of their software you can buy and load yourself, but it's at least worth a look. There's probably a forum out there somewhere that has links to this stuff.


    Also, I'm thinking we should start a Router/Networking thread, but I would want a proper OP and that takes time.

    That could be handy.

    Weirdly, the first place I checked was DD-WRT. My router doesn't...seem to be supported, as far as I can tell. I think it's honestly slightly too new. :(

    I've never even heard of Tomato, so that might be worth checking.

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Actually, I was wrong--DD-WRT does support my router (the model code was just different). But it doesn't seem like guest wifi is that different in the DD-WRT software, since I was able to enable TKIP passwords. Is there any software that uses the Cisco Connect method--an "unsecured" network that requires a password on the homepage. Just purely as a matter of personal preference.

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Usually not on consumer grade equipment, no.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "Captive portal" is the term for that just for anyone looking

    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Captive_Portal

    try that though synthesis

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    "Captive portal" is the term for that just for anyone looking

    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Captive_Portal

    try that though synthesis

    Actually having a name for it helps, thank you.

    As overpriced and generally mediocre as their equipment was, it seems every Linksys wifi router is from the last five years or so has the option for captive portal courtesy of Cisco Connect.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That's because Cisco owns Linksys now

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That's because Cisco owns Linksys now

    Yeah, I got that impression when my N300 had no Linksys branding, but CISCO in nice clear lettering.

    So I guess what I wish was that other companies had better software.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh I get you. I think if they spent a bit more time on the software, the hardware could actually be serviceable even if they use cheap parts.

    This is why I've been heavily debating using the parts from my last build for a PFSense router, for a little while.

  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Half the problem with the cisco home shit is that it's not designed with heat dissipation in mind, so while the hardware can actually do what it claims to do on the box, it will never do it for more than a few minutes before it's toast.

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    hahaha wow wrong thread. just tells you the kind of day I'm actually having....

    wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Half the problem with the cisco home shit is that it's not designed with heat dissipation in mind, so while the hardware can actually do what it claims to do on the box, it will never do it for more than a few minutes before it's toast.

    Yeah, that hardware seems to leave a lot to be desired (ironically, the N300 was probably one of their least terrible models, at the price point).

    Figures they have good software though.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Crazy thought: if you pried the guts out of the housing and put it in an enclosure either with a fan or at least more chance to breathe, could it perform?

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Crazy thought: if you pried the guts out of the housing and put it in an enclosure either with a fan or at least more chance to breathe, could it perform?

    Well, I doubt my N300 was burning a hole in itself--and even then, the Asus' better performance probably has more to do with the large antennas it comes with.

    I also had to restart it on a daily basis (and it disagreed with my cable modem, which in turn registered it with a yellow, rather than green, activity light).

Sign In or Register to comment.