As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[God Eater] Angsty Half Naked Absurdly Strong Anime Women

13»

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Ok, I pulled the trigger, and I've got God Eater now. And I'm facing the dreaded first boss: Character creation.

Can you change your character's looks later on? Because I'm going to have severe remorse over the styles I didn't choose. I'm literally right now scrolling through the hairstyles going "Ooh, this is awesome!" scroll to the next one and "OH I LIKE THAT ONE!" scroll to the next one and repeat from the beginning.

Yep. I think the only things you can't change are gender and facial form. Hair and decorations are fair game and you'll acquire new clothing options as the game goes on.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »
    Ok, I pulled the trigger, and I've got God Eater now. And I'm facing the dreaded first boss: Character creation.

Can you change your character's looks later on? Because I'm going to have severe remorse over the styles I didn't choose. I'm literally right now scrolling through the hairstyles going "Ooh, this is awesome!" scroll to the next one and "OH I LIKE THAT ONE!" scroll to the next one and repeat from the beginning.

Yep. I think the only things you can't change are gender and facial form. Hair and decorations are fair game and you'll acquire new clothing options as the game goes on.

You can actually change both of those things. The import option on the main menu lets you redo character creation without actually losing any progress if you don't want to. The only thing you can't ever change (legitimately) is your codename, so I recommend picking a gender-neutral one in case you want to swap at some point.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Picked this up on sale on Humble. It was the steam version so I got ressurection too (which I'm playing first for the story).

This may be heresy, but I think this is better than monster hunter?

Whilst the arenas are smaller there's no load screens to break the flow, because everyone has a gun they actually get used, said guns are much easier to aim, there's a semi-decent lock on, air combos seem better, monster design is so super different to basically anything else. The AI does ok, which is more than can be said for any helper in MH and there is an actual storyline that's more in depth than "kill the thing, now kill the other thing".

I can see being put off if you don't like the anime stylings, but if you like that (or can even tolerate it) this game deserves a play.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Quick thing I learned playing this is, unless you need a specific material, ignore the side missions and move on with the long story. As the difficulty increases you simply have access to better gear that requires new material anyway so skipping non story stuff does not seem to hurt so far.

And boy do I need to start making aragami specific builds instead of a more generalist cause Chi-You always take me forever to take out. I recently switched from hammer to longblade and my kill speed seems to have gone up as I recharge my gun faster for a big damage hit.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    And boy do I need to start making aragami specific builds instead of a more generalist cause Chi-You always take me forever to take out. I recently switched from hammer to longblade and my kill speed seems to have gone up as I recharge my gun faster for a big damage hit.

To make Chi-You a joke with long blade, just spam impulse edge at their legs; their lower body is very weak to crushing-type gun damage.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've worked my way up to the beginning of D4 in GE: Resurrection. Is Borg Camlann supposed to be six legs of "no fun allowed' or do I just need to get gooder?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    They're not very fun to deal with, no.

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Get gooder should help too though ;) .

I kid~

I believe it's legs are weak to crush. So a hammer might help you out*. (woop, just checked the wiki, it's the shield and tail) Also it tends to scream before it rushes or spinny attacks you. So guarding tends to work well on it. You can also jump that spinny attack, but it takes some practice and guarding is just easier.

sig.gif
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Hammer is salvation. Hammer everything. If you ever have a problem with something just get a bigger hammer. HAMMER WOO.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    Get gooder should help too though ;) .

I kid~

I believe it's legs are weak to crush. So a hammer might help you out*. (woop, just checked the wiki, it's the shield and tail) Also it tends to scream before it rushes or spinny attacks you. So guarding tends to work well on it. You can also jump that spinny attack, but it takes some practice and guarding is just easier.

I just fought my first one and killed it no problems.

Here's how I did it with the short blade.

Use the airborne leap attack (shift and attack on keyboard) to attack the tail with air combos repeatedly. It seems to be weak on the tail to slashing attacks.

After another couple of days I think I've settled on Scythe as my favorite. Combined with an OP Gain part on some of my devours I can recharge my gauge really fast. Really comes in handy during multi - me, @CorriganX and @Viking did a few D4 missions last night and I contributed greatly to healing and damage.

I've also gotten much better at figuring out the Borg's tells, especially that dumb tail swing. Not perfect, mind, but they're significantly easier than when I first started. Chimera-types (Vajra, Dyaus Pita) are still a pain though.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    I think a month is enough for the statute of limitations re: double posts, right?

I've reached D13, hunting down the Dreadnoughts. The first one was hard but actually pretty fun, responding well to hit-and-run attacks with my favorite Long Sword.

Then came the Dyaus Pita and Vajra. Anyone who tells you "pita" means anything other than pain in the ass is a damned dirty liar.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Dyaus Pita is always my mortal nemesis, baring the D15 fight.

And Hannibals and derivatives.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Because of my play style, I always have problems with the Dyaus Pita, damn thing just jumps around so much. It has those huge red wing things too which was a new addition to Resurrection.
    Ianator wrote: »
    Anyone who tells you "pita" means anything other than pain in the ass is a damned dirty liar.

*lanator gets offered a gyro*

"FUCK YOU AND YOUR DELICOUS MEAT ON PITA!"

sig.gif
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I've been absently playing GE2. Kind of figure no one else will ever finish resurrection so I'll probably just have to solo everything. Damn shame since it's the vastly superior game. Quick devours are lame compared to blood arts, hnng. Though the cast in two is kind of hit or miss for a lot of people, I find the dorks endearing.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2017
    And of course the big baddie an even bigger pain in the ass. It'd probably be a cakewalk with real people helping, but Resurrection's infinite loading bug makes that a chance I don't want to take.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Aaand fourth time's the charm. I might try the D14 story missions tonight but it looks like it's time for me to move on to Rage Burst.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The prospect of all these Avatar movies and theme park is creepy.

They really want us to like Avatar.

Krathoon on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Is it worth it to pick up GodEater2 for the PS4?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    God Eater 2's story completed! I found it easier than Resurrection was at similar ranks, probably because I've gotten used to a lot of the larger monsters like the Borg Camlann and also because I'm prioritizing level-appropriate equipment over just crafting what looks new and cool.
    Is it worth it to pick up GodEater2 for the PS4?

Rage Burst? Absolutely. I think it comes with GE Resurrection which is also worth a play.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    T-T-Triple poast!?

gsqp65nj3k76.png

Aaand I'm done. At least, done until I come back to do challenge missions...

If anyone here ever needs help with either Rage Burst or Resurrection, I'm here to carry.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Ugh. Screw any of the missions that are Dyaus Pita paired with anything.

Once you get a clusterfuck going, it seems impossible to get party members to split up without the whole damn horde going with them.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Wait...what? WHAT?! A new God Eater, but I thought Code Vein was next. *GLEESPOLOSION*

BTW, how is the PS4 scene for the GE2? Worth pick up?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just finished the post story of Resurrection.
    Its not Shakespeare but its been awhile since I enjoyed a feel good ending that much.

Overall, much more interesting than the main story. Hopefully that means good things going into God Eater 2.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Is it normal to be like 2 or 3 hours into this and feel like the only thing I understand is how to enter missions and destroy things?

Because I feel like I just plow through the missions but all these building options and stuff being thrown at me are so confusing I don't know what to do with it so I just go kill more shit.

edited June 2017
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Is it normal to be like 2 or 3 hours into this and feel like the only thing I understand is how to enter missions and destroy things?

Because I feel like I just plow through the missions but all these building options and stuff being thrown at me are so confusing I don't know what to do with it so I just go kill more shit.

I mean, if you know how to destroy things you're on the right track but you'll probably hit a wall eventually. Deciphering the game basically relies on you knowing a bit about the core Monster Hunter formula:

-Beat up monsters Aragami and devour their corpses.
    -Use the resulting materials to build and upgrade equipment.
    -Use better equipment to tackle higher-level enemies.

As for equipment: Each item contains skills which increase or decrease certain stats or change certain functions. (Example.) Combining your equipment in ways to give you the greatest benefit with manageable downsides is how you create effective builds.

If you're free sometime we can hook up on Discord and I can show you around.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I’m gaining a lot of necromancy skill with this post.

I’m playing through GER on vita and rather enjoying it. I haven’t really started crafting yet as I’m only wrapping up D2 and I’ve been able to easily crush everything so far.

I’ve also got Rage Burst for Vita waiting.

Anyone still play, or have any early game tips that would help me out?

I don't play on Vita but I do have a few quick tips from playing on PC that may be easy to miss for a beginner:

Equipment is different from Monster Hunter in that using all the items from a "set" (a matching Ogretail blade, gun and shield, for example) usually isn't required to gain bonuses and, in fact, may give you skill points beyond the usable limit. You should be able to check from the equipment screen what skills you have and which ones have "too many" points (their levels are highlighted in red).

Devour! Burst boosts your strength, gives you double jump capabilities and can raise other stats depending on your skills. You can charge up a big devour, sneak smaller ones in after attacks or dashes, and even use them in the air! You'll eventually gain the ability to customize devour moves to, say, charge in, pull back or divebomb, boosting your mobility options as well.

More devours: don't forget to nom on dead Aragami. Just one Quick Devour will give you all three items you can get from that corpse - no need to sit there charging three big Devours.

When picking your bullet loadouts, leave an open space or two to make room for the Aragami Bullets you get from devouring. You can shoot the bullets to your allies, giving them Burst as well and even stacking up to three levels. You'll eventually get NPC allies capable of doing this to you as well.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Thanks. I should spend some time figuring out the game systems... but I’ll probably just mash my way through the story until it gets hard and then do that.

I read back through the thread, and I think I’ll work on an assault rifle and either short blade or spear and some hammers. I’d made the Bronte scythe, which has worked fine thus far, but I’m not sure if something with pierce and slash would be better for general use.

I wish there was some sort of save import to GE2RB for Vita but I’ve read there isn’t in the western release.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, God Eater 3 has been released on PS4 and Steam!

All signs point to it being pretty good, whats more this entry was designed for the PS4 from the ground up instead of being a Vita port.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I futz around with it this past weekend and it seemed fun.

I got access to customized bullets but could not figure out how to link modules together and just quit the game in frustration.

How I do that? How I make sniper bullets that go boom on impact?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I got access to customized bullets but could not figure out how to link modules together and just quit the game in frustration.

This is a larger question than you can possibly imagine.

Bullet creation is pretty much the GAME(at least in GE1 and 2).I’ll link you some bookmarks when I get home.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Figured that out last night - you have to press right when highlighting the second module, which then allows you to change module 2 to fire based on module 1 (where possible).

Was really annoying finding that out, since it doesn't seem to mention anything about pressing left/right to change links anywhere.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)