[Game Dev] I don't have a publisher. What I do have are a very particular set of skills.

1596061626365»

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    I'd love to grab these but I'm wondering how their UVs are set up... Adjusting to my style of texture atlas might take more time than creating my own geometry and skinning that...

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 13
    Those Synty Polygon assets are very good and I use them for pretty much all of my prototyping, highly recommend

Houk the Namebringer on
    KoopahTroopahtemplewulfCornucopiist
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kupi's Weekly Friday Status Report

This week was sort of a single continuous low-key depressive episode while I strained to get some non-game-dev creative work started and failed at it.

In other news, I added support for scaling/zoom to my Animation and Level editors, so I can now more easily arrange fine details or just move quickly through the world space in the editor.

The next line item is to add onion-skinning and the ability to load "subordinate" animations into the Animation Editor so that if you have two animations that are supposed to go together, you can line them up for simultaneous editing.

(I have entirely abandoned the idea of trying to parallelize event resolution in the collision detection engine.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    dipuc4lifeIzzimach
  • IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    What I completed this week:

pxtfkpvtoskk.gif

I needed some sort of pop-up for the NPCs to send short messages to the player to update them. I don't have resources for voice-over or anything, so instead I'm using short text boxes and animated portraits.

Izzimach on
    GlalZibblsnrtKoopahTroopahCornucopiist
  • dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    @Kupi always comes in here with their weekly report and I am always amazed at what they have accomplished in a week. Then they come in here some weeks and are like "I didn't get much done this week". Then I feel bad because even in their bad weeks they have accomplished MORE than I have in a year. Keep up the great work ... At least I'm rooting for you.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
    ZibblsnrtLD50
    It frustrates me that I can't summon my usual loquaciousness to something that actually deserves the word count, but: thank you. Knowing that there's some people out there who appreciate these little journal entries is part of what keeps me going... the other part being sheer bullheadedness. :lol:

But I don't like the idea that I'm holding someone back, so let me add this: my circumstances give me more free time than most, so my perception of how productive I've been is distorted by the proportions. Combined with the fact that I'm deliberately taking a harder path than most (and my penchant for exaggeration), I think a lot of what I'm doing is... I don't have the right word for this hand waving motions achievable by anyone. So don't be discouraged! You can do the thing! I believe in you!

dipuc4lifeCornucopiistZibblsnrtMadpoet
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    It frustrates me that I can't summon my usual loquaciousness to something that actually deserves the word count, but: thank you. Knowing that there's some people out there who appreciate these little journal entries is part of what keeps me going... the other part being sheer bullheadedness. :lol:

But I don't like the idea that I'm holding someone back, so let me add this: my circumstances give me more free time than most, so my perception of how productive I've been is distorted by the proportions. Combined with the fact that I'm deliberately taking a harder path than most (and my penchant for exaggeration), I think a lot of what I'm doing is... I don't have the right word for this hand waving motions achievable by anyone. So don't be discouraged! You can do the thing! I believe in you!

By the same token, taking on a project like what you're working on and keeping to it under your own direction is not something that is easy to do (even if you have more free time than the average forumer). You shouldn't sell yourself short.

dipuc4lifeCornucopiist
    Kupi's Weekly Friday Status Report

Sometimes you complain about how little you're getting done. Sometimes you're so productive that you already did the next item on your to-do list a couple weeks ago.

As a convenience, I'd meant to include the value that one ought to set an Entity's Position value to in order to move it to the point where a collision occurred to a collision event. That's a natural thing to want to have; if a character hits a damaging hitbox, you might want them to go to where they got hit and then change direction and whatever. Turns out I put that in a while ago! So, that's one task done.

Also this week, I added onion-skinning to my animation editor. It's not configurable, but it at least shows you what the next frame and previous frame look like overlaid on the one you're currently editing, when it's enabled. It was a little tougher than it needed to be because, for some reason, the override of DrawImage() in Windows Forms that lets you apply a color or alpha tint wants its target coordinates in the form of three points that define a parallelogram, and I have never worked with that format before. I decided against adding the support for displaying secondary animations at this time because, though I can see the use case for them, it's both difficult and not strictly necessary yet, so it's not my top priority.

After that, I fixed a bug in the level editor that caused a crash when you deleted any object except the last one in the list of all objects in the level. Dunno how I got this far without noticing that one, but I did and now it's gone.

Finally, I did some housekeeping by renaming a bunch of component classes whose name ended with "Component" to not end with "Component", which was mostly because it annoyed me to see how an entity might have a Position, Rotation, Velocity, and CollisionVolumeComponent. Now the names are consistent.

Also this week, I've been speccing out some component and system types related to making characters move around on the ground. Without the sort of task detritus that I've been cleaning out this week to keep me from it, we might actually see some real platforming in next week's report!

LD50Lilnoobsdipuc4life