As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    1165532321281_3484.jpg

this dog has lousy taste in literature

First story in the Wishbone Revival should be the Dunwich Horror

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    what if regardless of whether the switch is pulled or not everyone is already dead

https://youtu.be/-N_RZJUAQY4

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I also think there is a difference between "what would you do" and "what do you think is the right thing to do".

Like, I remember reading something where people were asked the trolley problem, and most people chose to kill one person. Then it was framed as you have to push one person off a bridge to stop the trolley from killing five people, and most people who had said they'd kill one person in the trolley problem now said they wouldn't push the guy off the bridge.

In order to maintain logical consistency, if I believe I should divert the trolley to kill one person in the first scenario, I must also believe the right course of action is to push the guy off the bridge in the second scenario.

Whether I could actually bring myself to do it, though, is another story.

This is vastly different though, it is not logically consistent.

Pushing someone off a bridge is murder. Changing the course of a speeding trolley to lessen it's impact is an attempt to lessen tragedy.

Choosing to hit a pedestrian with your bus instead of plowing into an elementary school when the bus brakes are out isn't murder. Shoving a pedestrian into the bus to change its path is.

This is interesting to me. Why is pushing someone off a bridge to kill them murder, but changing a trolley track to kill someone isn't murder?

Sorry for several pages late on this. I guess my question is how can pushing someone off a bridge prevent the deaths of the others? Depending on the situation, things change and I can't imagine a scenario that is similar enough to the trolley one. Also this is way too many pages past and I think everyone stopped talking about it. Having a hard time articulating why I believe those are fundamentally different but I think I don't have enough context for the bridge.

Oh, the justification is that pushing the guy off the bridge stops the trolley by blocking the tracks or whatever. It is admittedly more of a stretch wrt physics and whatnot, but given that we're discussing dry hypotheticals I think it's fine to just be like "it stops the trolley, don't worry about the details".

The justification is that the guy is really fat, which is believable enough.

but if he's of sufficient mass to stop a trolley of sufficient mass and velocity to kill people in its tracks, then he's of sufficient mass that you can't push him off the bridge!

You have an infinitely long lever with which to tip him.
    The fat man's name? Archimedes

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    here is a REAL thought experiment for you guys:

why am i so great

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jesus are we still talking about this trolley thing?

Blow up both trolleys, and the rails, and the people, and nuke the city from orbit.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    The solution is you set the switch halfway so the trolley derails, killing no one, as it's never established there's anyone on the trolley.

i dunno if i want the death of a trolley on my hands man

It's ok, the automobile killed the trolley decades ago. I saw it in a documentary about a rabbit accused of homicide.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

why am i so great

Magical Golden Menorah at Bar Mitzvah we have seen the photo

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

why am i so great
    it's a real stumper

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I just watched The Doomsday Machine. It was Moby Dick in space.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Chevy announced the official EPA range of the Bolt: 238 miles

dang, that's a lot of miles

ive seen milelier

wreckingball.gif

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    If Chevy plays their cards right they can eat Tesla's lunch on the on non-luxury market.

They're coming out later this year, as opposed to sometime 2017, maybe. Tesla is also about to use up their $7500 tax credit which Chevy still has plenty of room on.

Also APPARENTLY the same guy who owns Tesla can't even fuel a rocket properly

*grumbles*

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Jesus are we still talking about this trolley thing?

Blow up both trolleys, and the rails, and the people, and nuke the city from orbit.

14238308_10155239320548761_3409601318270618239_n.jpg?oh=036a96a6b757a2106309cde20a5dd292&oe=587CACB5

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I also think there is a difference between "what would you do" and "what do you think is the right thing to do".

Like, I remember reading something where people were asked the trolley problem, and most people chose to kill one person. Then it was framed as you have to push one person off a bridge to stop the trolley from killing five people, and most people who had said they'd kill one person in the trolley problem now said they wouldn't push the guy off the bridge.

In order to maintain logical consistency, if I believe I should divert the trolley to kill one person in the first scenario, I must also believe the right course of action is to push the guy off the bridge in the second scenario.

Pushing someone off a bridge is murder. Changing the course of a speeding trolley to lessen it's impact is an attempt to lessen tragedy.

Choosing to hit a pedestrian with your bus instead of plowing into an elementary school when the bus brakes are out isn't murder. Shoving a pedestrian into the bus to change its path is.

This is interesting to me. Why is pushing someone off a bridge to kill them murder, but changing a trolley track to kill someone isn't murder?

Sorry for several pages late on this. I guess my question is how can pushing someone off a bridge prevent the deaths of the others? Depending on the situation, things change and I can't imagine a scenario that is similar enough to the trolley one. Also this is way too many pages past and I think everyone stopped talking about it. Having a hard time articulating why I believe those are fundamentally different but I think I don't have enough context for the bridge.

Oh, the justification is that pushing the guy off the bridge stops the trolley by blocking the tracks or whatever. It is admittedly more of a stretch wrt physics and whatnot, but given that we're discussing dry hypotheticals I think it's fine to just be like "it stops the trolley, don't worry about the details".

Well then I'd be directly murdering one person to save others and that doesn't make the murder okay. Ends don't justify the means.

In the trolley switch scenario, I'm lessening the tragedy by intervening and causing less casualties, not specifically murdering one guy.

Hmm, I dunno, I guess I still don't know why hitting the switch to divert the trolley isn't "specifically murdering one guy". Although I think we would benefit from using "killing" rather than "murdering", unless you want to strictly define murder I guess.

For what it's worth, it feels different to me too. I'm just not sure that there's really a logical difference between killing a guy by pushing him off a bridge and killing a guy by hitting a track switch.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

but if he's of sufficient mass to stop a trolley of sufficient mass and velocity to kill people in its tracks, then he's of sufficient mass that you can't push him off the bridge!

he's wearing roller skates

*furiously scribbling physics equations*

if we assume a reduced coefficient of friction for the roller skates...say 0.10, and the necessary kinetic energy of the trolley for lethal impact is conservatively assumed to be 5000 lbs travelling at 30 mph, then the required mass of the body to reduce the impact to a nonlethal speed of 15 mph is...

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

why am i so great

i feel like maybe it is a reflection of everyone else's own inner greatness

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chevy announced the official EPA range of the Bolt: 238 miles

dang, that's a lot of miles

ive seen milelier

wreckingball.gif

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Post more pictures of cool dogs.

V6AgPta.jpg

Oh my god, I remember this

I remember everything

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Most of the best Star Trek is Moby Dick in space.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Post more pictures of cool dogs.

w0g5ka7x7l51.jpeg

Cool dog!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    @Hakkekage no update yet on apple store

Graaaaaaaaaahhhh

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

First Contact will always be my favorite for that, if only because it shows Picard when pushed would commit serious war crimes against the borg.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    A better trolley problem:
    https://youtu.be/sYjy7uUn7fc

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Well then I'd be directly murdering one person to save others and that doesn't make the murder okay. Ends don't justify the means.

In the trolley switch scenario, I'm lessening the tragedy by intervening and causing less casualties, not specifically murdering one guy.

Hmm, I dunno, I guess I still don't know why hitting the switch to divert the trolley isn't "specifically murdering one guy". Although I think we would benefit from using "killing" rather than "murdering", unless you want to strictly define murder I guess.

For what it's worth, it feels different to me too. I'm just not sure that there's really a logical difference between killing a guy by pushing him off a bridge and killing a guy by hitting a track switch.

In one scenario I am directly ending the life of someone uninvolved otherwise. I am choosing to take this person and their life out of their hands and putting them into my own in order to save these others instead. I don't get to make that decision. How do I pick which person to throw off the bridge? Why not throw myself off the bridge instead, if I really want to save those people?
    I definitely think it is different but it is very difficult for me to articulate why.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

First Contact will always be my favorite for that, if only because it shows Picard when pushed would commit serious war crimes against the borg.

For real, when it comes to the Borg Picard is a scary mother fucker.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Star Trek: First Contact directly references this. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Oh right, I remember that now.

Hmm, I understand why they do it that way, to make it believable that he could stop the trolley, but I also think it might bring it some externalities related to people's feelings about fat people and their worth. Like, it opens it up for the inevitable "eh, he's really fat, he's probably going to die soon anyway" argument, when that's not really the point.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A trolly is out of control, and is about to hit Threshold and A Night in Sickbay. If you switch the points you can make it hit Duet and Best of Both Worlds

I'm not going to ask what you do, I'm just describing what happens

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    These dogs are all very cool!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The five people on the track are also really fat and the train conductor is a Paralympic gold medalist who is unaware of what is happening. Also, there is a convention of nuns at a coffee house nearby the train switch.

• Options

In one scenario I am directly ending the life of someone uninvolved otherwise. I am choosing to take this person and their life out of their hands and putting them into my own in order to save these others instead. I don't get to make that decision. How do I pick which person to throw off the bridge? Why not throw myself off the bridge instead, if I really want to save those people?
    I definitely think it is different but it is very difficult for me to articulate why.

Oh yeah, this makes sense to me, actually. I will have to think on this more.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Also, mini skirts were putting more emphasis on mini during the TOS era.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the solution to the trolley problem is clearly to push the one guy onto the track with the other people so that way everyone dies and no one is worth any more than any other person

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I would smother six babies

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    But seriously, [chat]

I've remained silent on it because there's been no conclusion so far!

Why does a rocket just explode on the pad?

And why the second stage again?

They weren't even near time for ignition!

But don't even get me started on their chosen ignition method anyway.

I mean, yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do when you don't want to use hydrogen

And let's all just be thankful they don't!

Jesus Christ can you not even make a pressure vessel?

I mean, I'm no rocket scientist, so maybe there's a fundamental bit I'm just not understanding

But I am goddamn BeNarwhal, so I highly doubt it!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    sarah is traveling for work again for the rest of the week

boo hoo

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Here's a thought experiment: genocide against the Borg and the Founders wouldn't actually be wrong.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    If Chevy plays their cards right they can eat Tesla's lunch on the on non-luxury market.

They're coming out later this year, as opposed to sometime 2017, maybe. Tesla is also about to use up their $7500 tax credit which Chevy still has plenty of room on.

Show me an affordable electric or hybrid with a non-restrictive range, and I'll maybe buy one. As it stands, it feels far more flexible and economical to chase better gas efficiency if for no other reason than you can refuel anywhere.

Infrastructure, yo.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    First contact really isn't that good. It's best of the TNG movies but omg that's such a low bar. Out of every Trek film every made, including Galaxy Quest, there's maybe four good ones.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.