As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The Defenders won't have to sign because LAWYERS

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD seems like much bigger threats than any of the Defenders, IMO. Jessica and Luke are super strong, but nothing like Thor or Hulk. Jessica can sort of float, but not fly. Luke is hard to kill, but not invincible. Daredevil is no more dangerous than any given ninja, of which there are apparently plenty!

Daredevil is clearly more dangerous than at least a couple dozen of those ninjas.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD seems like much bigger threats than any of the Defenders, IMO. Jessica and Luke are super strong, but nothing like Thor or Hulk. Jessica can sort of float, but not fly. Luke is hard to kill, but not invincible. Daredevil is no more dangerous than any given ninja, of which there are apparently plenty!

They don't have to be Thor or Hulk to be a danger that the UN would want to monitor. Both are stronger than Captain America himself, plus are bullet proof. There are literally Inhumans less dangerous than they are the government wants on the registry - like the Ginger Ninja. Power: to have multiple bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMl1zX0gqYU

The ninja
    can be resurrected, which is a nifty ability to have.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

Luke and Jessica seem pretty middling when you have Daisy who's power is mainly limited by the amount of budget available. But I guess a walking 9.0 earthquake gets a pass because Coulson is covering for her? Maybe we'll get a scene with some Accord bureaucrats discussing whether or not to bring the hammer down on Daisy but Coulson's all "oh she can just shake and push things a bit, nothing to worry about, leave it to us."

• Options
    Seal wrote: »

Luke and Jessica seem pretty middling when you have Daisy who's power is mainly limited by the amount of budget available. But I guess a walking 9.0 earthquake gets a pass because Coulson is covering for her? Maybe we'll get a scene with some Accord bureaucrats discussing whether or not to bring the hammer down on Daisy but Coulson's all "oh she can just shake and push things a bit, nothing to worry about, leave it to us."

Diasy's a bigger WMD than Luke or Jessica together. lol

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

The biggest issue with Jessica/Luke is that their powers were supposedly given to them by science which like Steve Rogers makes the source of their power an existential threat to world peace.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

if she went evil she's more dangerous than most of the avengers, she could level an entire city

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    AoS Season 3 ending
    Daisy going rogue towards the end, disabling the whole SHIELD base when she was brainwashed, with very little effort and a smile on her face, that was pretty dang scary. And the teaser for Season 4 seems to be implying she's a bad guy now...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I imagine in part it's because she's probably not going around trying to take out world leaders.

I suspect that, despite the Accords, no one really cares too much about Rogers and Co. acting as vigilantes when there are probably a dozen other more powerful threats actively trying to destroy governments.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Not float. Jump good.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Not float. Jump good.

I believe the proper term is "Hella high."

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

Not float. Jump good.

I just rewatched it with sis, she's totally got floaty powers. Patsy says she can fly, and Jessica corrects it to 'controlled falling' - and she does it a couple times.
    when she escapes Simpson, she jumps off with Kilgrave. Possibly just a super high jump a street over. But then in the finale, she jumps up and then floats forward a hella long distance, and reacts in awe that she managed that - implying it was something more than just a strength thing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I never noticed that, do you have a timestamp for the scene in the finale?

• Options
    Jessica Jones finale
    It's about 35 minutes, when she jumps over the cops. The music kinda crescendoes too, and it's all slow motion, all the cops look up like 'woaaah'. I got the impression it was to show her 'levelling up' and unlocking new powers when it mattered. But that could be comic info colouring that impression, since there she indeed has flight, but only when she was a hero, and lost it when she became depressed.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I never noticed that, do you have a timestamp for the scene in the finale?

about 35:24

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I thought that was just dramatic slomo for cinematic effect, but it's been a while since I watched it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

In the aftermath of Civil War the US government told Coulson he was going to have to sign on to the Accords and bring his whole team onboard. Daisy isn't getting a pass. As of the end of last season, SHIELD has a new boss and Daisy's a wanted criminal.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

In the aftermath of Civil War the US government told Coulson he was going to have to sign on to the Accords and bring his whole team onboard. Daisy isn't getting a pass. As of the end of last season, SHIELD has a new boss and Daisy's a wanted criminal.

But Coulson said that they didn't exist so how could they sign?

• Options
    Hmm, she does go a hell of a long way at what looks like an unnaturally shallow angle. That's a jump spider-man might have trouble with.

Could be intentional displaying of floaty powers by the show, could just be accidental or an oversight and it was just supposed to be a good jump in slow motion.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I don't really recall that exact scene now, but she's shown straight out as really floaty jumping at one point during the fight, so either way. She definitely powers up a bit at the end.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

But Coulson said that they didn't exist so how could they sign?

Because they folded the ATCU in with Coulson's SHIELD to act as their public face, and Coulson had been working with the government before they asked him to sign the accords.

• Options
    http://comicsalliance.com/black-panther-civil-war-all-cg/
    Here’s another mind-boggling tidbit from the fascinating Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray commentary: Every shot of Black Panther in Civil War is CG. Not just the obvious ones, like where Panther’s chasing the Winter Soldier on foot or in a hand-to-claw fight with Captain America. Every single shot.
    There was a Panther costume on the Civil War set. You might have seen pictures of it, like this one:

That does look fairly close to the final costume in the movie; the practical suit eventually became the “template” for visual effects artists to do their work. That revelation comes in the commentary conversation between directors Anthony and Joe Russo and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. In the scene where Panther makes his in-costume debut (the fight with Bucky that then leads into their chase in that freeway tunnel), they talk about how much anticipation there was for the character, and how they’re all happy with the final results.

Then Joe Russo goes on to give ILM credit for their largely unheralded work on Black Panther. His full quote:

Joe Russo

[They] really did a ton of work on that outfit. I mean, we had an outfit that we used on set. It’s impossible when you’re talking about an otherworldly outfit like the one that the Panther wears, which has a certain luminescence to it because it’s made of a woven metal. We could never afford to construct an outfit like that that an actor or a stunt player could move around in without sweating to death or that would capture the luminescence that we need. So what we ended up doing in post is ILM came in and painted over Chadwick and the stuntman. The outfit is completely CG.

The writers ask if that applies to “every frame” of the movie, and the Russos confirm it. Every frame of the Black Panther in Civil War is a CG outfit.
    That’s really incredible. A lot of the special effects in Civil War are quite obvious, but then there’s this work that is so subtle and photo-real. Some of the other Marvel characters in the cast are obviously CG (including the new Spider-Man, who looks great but also mostly looks like a very good digital effect), but Black Panther? Every frame? I never would have known.

Rewatching the movie with that knowledge, you can see a few instances where it’s more obvious that Panther’s a digital effect (like the scenes at the end where he removes his mask and you can see Chadwick Boseman’s face; there’s just something a little … off about his body). I’m curious whether this same approach will be used on the Black Panther movie, which is due in theaters in February 2018, or whether they will be able to find a workable solution for a practical suit that works both for camera and stunts. Either way, it’s nice to know I likely won’t be able to tell the difference.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Not float. Jump good.

I believe the proper term is "Hella high."

No, Jump Good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UolqO4OCh-A

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    AoS Season 3 ending
    Daisy going rogue towards the end, disabling the whole SHIELD base when she was brainwashed, with very little effort and a smile on her face, that was pretty dang scary. And the teaser for Season 4 seems to be implying she's a bad guy now...
    Nah, it sounds like she's gone all Robin Hood; stealing from banks to get money to people who need it. Unless I'm misremembering.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I figured some of BP was CG, but I had no idea the entire thing was done like that.

That's... really impressive. It also shows we might get to a point where "obvious cg" goes extinct, crossing that uncanny valley.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    well made cg has done that for anorganic stuff for a while now I think. Probably for alot of organic stuff, too except for things that people are really familar with like faces.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    "obvious cg" is just bad CG 95% of the time now. There's a few things that are hard to pull off no matter how much time or money you put into it, but for everything else it's generally because they had to cut a corner somewhere.

Fury Road is lauded as a return to practical effects, but IMO, it's greater achievement was marrying practical effects with nonobvious CG, to the point where people couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    well made cg has done that for anorganic stuff for a while now I think. Probably for alot of organic stuff, too except for things that people are really familar with like faces.
    "obvious cg" is just bad CG 95% of the time now. There's a few things that are hard to pull off no matter how much time or money you put into it, but for everything else it's generally because they had to cut a corner somewhere.

Fury Road is lauded as a return to practical effects, but IMO, it's greater achievement was marrying practical effects with nonobvious CG, to the point where people couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

Basically these two things. At this point, you have game engines (hi UNREAL) that can put output photorealistic cutscenes in real time. The tools that shops like WETA and ILM have built in house blow that out of the water. Generally if you see shitty CGI, it was a time issue. The studios either got the film late, or there just straight up wasn't enough time budgeted for the effects, so they didn't get multiple passes through to tweak lighting, shadows, specular levels, etc.

Look at Avenger's 4 years ago. Any non-ground shot in the Battle of New York was pure CGI besides (usually) the actors. Every building, ever brick, car, tree, and almost every piece of debris was pure CGI. 99% of the people who saw that movie have no idea.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm always conflicted when it comes to CGI. Mostly because when I picture heavy use of it, my mind flashes back to the Star Wars prequels. And if you see scenes of how it was filmed, so much of it was acting against nothing, behind nothing but a green sheet. No real physicality to anything. Then you see pictures of how Marvel movies are being made, and they're so shockingly similar. Green screens, fake props (it makes sense in hindsight, but it kind of blew my mind that most scenes of Cap catching the shield are just Evan's miming it with CG), and so on. The obvious answer is of course Lucas is a boob, and Marvel has amazing directors. It just weirds me out at times. CGI has always been a fabulous tool when used in moderation. The last time we saw somebody lean incredibly heavy on it, we got dreck. But now we got somebody else also leaning incredibly heavy on it, and turning out gold.

I can only imagine what old actors think of today's film environment. Where in many cases "acting" is just literally playing pretend in front of nothing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well, it's not quite that anymore. People realizes that CG looks better if the people interacting with it actually have something to interact with. So when Thor is blocking Hulk's overhand blow, they actually have a big foam Hulk hand for Hemsworth to interact with, even though it's going to get entirely replaced with CG later.

• Options
    I always wonder how late into filming RDJ's Iron Man HUD scenes are filmed. Say in the Hulk fight in AoU, when he's in the Hulkbuster he's got quite a few cool reactions to stuff happening. Obviously he's nowhere near 'filming' that stuff, it's two CGI things beating each other up. So do they just have him imagine what Tony's doing in that moment, or does he get some early version of the scene to react to or what?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    PLus, instead of using all CG characters so the actors act towards nothing, they really use a lot of mo-cap so there IS actual actors there they just get over written by cg

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
  • Options
    How many episodes ya think Pops is gonna live? I'm going with... 3.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Misty Motherfucking Knight

I can officially die happy.

In 11 days.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    How many episodes ya think Pops is gonna live? I'm going with... 3.

Well
    they didn't kill off the previous black mentor figures until like episode 8 or 9.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Gravity did a hell of a job in this respect as well.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

See: the majority of backgrounds in outside shots in movies.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I

Well, most TV shows are filled with tons of special effects like that which you'd never know about unless you saw the behind the scenes footage.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Gravity did a hell of a job in this respect as well.

What practical effects were there in Gravity? Everything was CG there except the actors.