As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It is and it isn't stupid. It's an analogy.

Luke Cage
    I don't disagree that it was frustrating to watch. I also don't disagree that the public and the police should be doing more due diligence. But one only has to look at social media and police shootings to know that what should happen isn't always what does happen. Throw in some superhero logic and a dash of hysteria ("SUPERPOWERED PEOPLE OMG WHAT IF HE HAS A BOMB?!?!") and it is believable enough for me.

It's basically an analogy for racial profiling. And the whole thing where the police go in guns blazing happens all the time - SWATting, for example.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    One thing bothered me, to the level of Spider-man 3 awfulness, in Luke Cage.
    When Diamondback wears his super punch machine and goes into town to punch a cop and starts yelling, "I'M LUKE CAGE." Like what idiot would fall for that?
    Only the NYPD. The streets never believed, even after the video.

I thought this was pretty interesting from a couple of angles... the divisions in the community between supporters of the police and people who don't believe anything they're told by authority, the fact that Diamondback always wanted to Be Carl Lucas... I bought into it
    I'm not talking about the audience falling for it. I'm talking about in-setting. If you saw a hooded figure do something bad then start shouting 'his' name, both of which run counter to what you know of the guy he is claiming to be, would you go, "Oh my gosh he's fallen off the rails" or "was that really him?" I mean it was cartoonishly bad. Setting people up is definitely a thing in fiction, but it's usually done with more precision and subtlety. This was just "I HOPE YOU FALL FOR IT, NOTHING SUSPICIOUS HERE."
    We see that though? Like, the witness doesn't say "it was Luke Cage" he tells the cops that he said "Luke Cage". And Misty is like "well that makes no sense", but the SWAT cops are already going after Luke anyways so they don't look at it too much.

Exactly. Diamondback's play is to give
    the NYPD an excuse to buy his shit and kill Cage, not to get the Harlem streets to believe Cage is bad. Enough confusuon is sown and the cops just need any reason to kill a guy they were already afraid of and embarrassed by.

Which is p standard cop shit, from the perspective of the show. Any excuse to kill a black man is a good one.

Diamondback is playing his own community for his personal benefit
    and that's a big theme in LC - people willing to trade on the black community's pride / fear to elevate themselves while harming the people they claim to champion / protect.

Vs Cage doing the opposite.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Like, the arc of the second half in one in which the community can't trust the cops, and the cops fear the people, and in the space between them evil flourishes.

The bullet-struck hoodie fad is so clearly a combination Treyvon Martin / "driving while black" reference.

This show is great.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Like, the arc of the second half in one in which the community can't trust the cops, and the cops fear the people, and in the space between them evil flourishes.

The bullet-struck hoodie fad is so clearly a combination Treyvon Martin / "driving while black" reference.

This show is great.

It's amazing how they turn something that starts as a gag ("Darn it, I gotta buy new clothes again?") into such a strong symbol.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    If there is one thing that I feel Luke Cage did well, and I wasn't very into that series, it's the social commentary. Except for the Crispus Attucks speech Luke Cage made which was corny and lame.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I think Shades was the best and a very interesting bad guy. I liked that he never lost his cool, and always appealed to people in a rational sense. I got the impression that what he said was true, he wanted whoever he was "helping" to succeed. He was reasonable in his demands and accepted reasonable excuses provided they were something that his agenda could recover from. AND he always advocated the cautious path/path of least resistance.

His history seemed superfluous and contrary to that chatacterisation though

Another thing about Shades is that his success comes in part because he's not the slightest bit racist. He stands out because issues of race don't factor in at all for him...

Now I kinda realize the shades are maybe a metaphor for his view of the world in more than one way?

spool32 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Re: Luke Cage
    I really, really liked Diamondback. I enjoyed his unhinged bullshit. I liked the connection to Luke. I appreciated that this was another kingpin who wasn't just in charge because money, but that could absolutely murder a room full of dudes himself. I didn't even mind the magic bullets, because that's already the kind of thing that already exists in the MCU, which actually tangibly grounds the show there.

And I believe Diamondback has a place in the story as a personified metaphor, just as all the leads do.

The biggest flaw, IMO, was not showing him earlier. Those phone conversations? Should have shown him then. He should be already present before Cottonmouth bites it, but not have come into contact with Luke. Then, when he finds out that Luke Cage is Carl Lucas, he just comes unglued.

They needed an episode to flesh out Diamondback's history like Daredevil did with Fisk.

Luke Cage:
    I think he just should've been this scary asshole who's in charge from early on, where you're kinda like "why's this guy such an asshole?" And then, when the big coincidence comes to light and you get the exact backstory episode we got, you're kinda like "ohhhh..." He just should've appeared earlier.

Like his backstory, to me at least, perfectly justifies him being a mean-spirited prick. Which is in contrast to Fisk, who's a similar brand of arch criminal, but more in a sociopathic sense; he's convinced that all his bad acts are justified. Diamondback is literally just trying to spread his own pain around, with a side-order of amassing wealth and power.

And when he sees that the perceived source of his past hurt just happens to be the current thorn in his side, well... the show actually already does a pretty fine job with the results. He's willing to tear down everything just to get at this one guy.

the writing does diamondback no favors
    like, it's implied or we're straight up told that he's a good strategist, who's contrived to have Cage thrown in prison and set himself up as this underworld mastermind... and then in the second half of the season when he takes center stage he's either crazy or an idiot. Even Shades is like 'yo what the hell is your plan here' and he's like 'lol I dunno.' It also doesn't help that Ali (and to a lesser extent alfre woodard) spent the first six eps acting circles around everybody, and now have to be pushed to the side

it still boggles my mind why cottonmouth wasn't luke's estranged brother; all the emotional beats would work just as well and the Cottonmouth character (i.e. the gangster who longs for society's respect) is a much better counterpoint to everything they're doing thematically with Cage than is diamondback. Just like, ugh

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm entertaining the idea of creating an Iron Man cosplay via pepakura, and while looking around high res images of the various Marvel robutts, I finally noticed this detail from Rhodey's Civil War suit;

Ifazxc7.jpg

in the movie, I assumed it was some weird checkerboard 'camo' pattern or something. On closer inspection, those are lil' Ultron heads. It's a kill count, from the battle at Sokovia in AoU, because Rhodes is a fighter pilot and also a dork. <3

(he got 22! That'll make a great story!)

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think Shades was the best and a very interesting bad guy. I liked that he never lost his cool, and always appealed to people in a rational sense. I got the impression that what he said was true, he wanted whoever he was "helping" to succeed. He was reasonable in his demands and accepted reasonable excuses provided they were something that his agenda could recover from. AND he always advocated the cautious path/path of least resistance.
    He reminded me somewhat of Wesley in Daredevil: smart, competent, trying to be a moderating influence on the more unhinged Big Bad. I'm glad that, unlike Wesley, he actually made it to the end of the season.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    He reminded me somewhat of Wesley in Daredevil: smart, competent, trying to be a moderating influence on the more unhinged Big Bad. I'm glad that, unlike Wesley, he actually made it to the end of the season.

Wesley's part at the end of the series was such a waste.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I really, really liked Diamondback. I enjoyed his unhinged bullshit. I liked the connection to Luke. I appreciated that this was another kingpin who wasn't just in charge because money, but that could absolutely murder a room full of dudes himself. I didn't even mind the magic bullets, because that's already the kind of thing that already exists in the MCU, which actually tangibly grounds the show there.

And I believe Diamondback has a place in the story as a personified metaphor, just as all the leads do.

The biggest flaw, IMO, was not showing him earlier. Those phone conversations? Should have shown him then. He should be already present before Cottonmouth bites it, but not have come into contact with Luke. Then, when he finds out that Luke Cage is Carl Lucas, he just comes unglued.

They needed an episode to flesh out Diamondback's history like Daredevil did with Fisk.

Luke Cage:
    I think he just should've been this scary asshole who's in charge from early on, where you're kinda like "why's this guy such an asshole?" And then, when the big coincidence comes to light and you get the exact backstory episode we got, you're kinda like "ohhhh..." He just should've appeared earlier.

Like his backstory, to me at least, perfectly justifies him being a mean-spirited prick. Which is in contrast to Fisk, who's a similar brand of arch criminal, but more in a sociopathic sense; he's convinced that all his bad acts are justified. Diamondback is literally just trying to spread his own pain around, with a side-order of amassing wealth and power.

And when he sees that the perceived source of his past hurt just happens to be the current thorn in his side, well... the show actually already does a pretty fine job with the results. He's willing to tear down everything just to get at this one guy.

like, it's implied or we're straight up told that he's a good strategist, who's contrived to have Cage thrown in prison and set himself up as this underworld mastermind... and then in the second half of the season when he takes center stage he's either crazy or an idiot. Even Shades is like 'yo what the hell is your plan here' and he's like 'lol I dunno.' It also doesn't help that Ali (and to a lesser extent alfre woodard) spent the first six eps acting circles around everybody, and now have to be pushed to the side

it still boggles my mind why cottonmouth wasn't luke's estranged brother; all the emotional beats would work just as well and the Cottonmouth character (i.e. the gangster who longs for society's respect) is a much better counterpoint to everything they're doing thematically with Cage than is diamondback. Just like, ugh
    Cottonmouth had a pretty good thing going with the comparisons between himself and his cousin, and their very different views of their parents. The father being supportive of Cottonmouth's playing while the mother attempts to toughen him up by having him kill people and whatnot, while Mariah views the father as a threatening rapist and her mother as the protector who ultimately steps in. With the added twist of the knife of forcing Cottonmouth to kill the one person who actually seem to care about him and his interests.

That's a damn solid bit of writing and I don't know how you'd be able to add Luke in there as his brother without wrecking things.

I think they'd have done better if they had Diamondback show up earlier and not actually reveal him as Diamondback. Have him not only less crazy, but even attempting to get to know Luke. It'd be a bit cliche, but it'd let them have conversations about their families with each other, so you'd be able to see their very different views and then the reveal would hopefully make those conversations all sorts of excellent. Plus they'd be able to have scenes where Diamondback would be taking phone calls from Shades while with Luke, and we hear the one side or the other of the conversation.

It might be a tad too concentrated a bunch of tropes though.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'm entertaining the idea of creating an Iron Man cosplay via pepakura, and while looking around high res images of the various Marvel robutts, I finally noticed this detail from Rhodey's Civil War suit;

Ifazxc7.jpg

in the movie, I assumed it was some weird checkerboard 'camo' pattern or something. On closer inspection, those are lil' Ultron heads. It's a kill count, from the battle at Sokovia in AoU, because Rhodes is a fighter pilot and also a dork. <3

WARMACHINEROX

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If there is one thing that I feel Luke Cage did well, and I wasn't very into that series, it's the social commentary. Except for the Crispus Attucks speech Luke Cage made which was corny and lame.

Also, pretty offensive!
    As a black man, at least, in my experience, people who don't like to be called/use the N-Word, never use the N-Word. Because if you do, you know damn well what context you're using it in, and using it, ascribing that power to it, would be hypocritical, hateful Uncle Tom bullshit.

I don't see eye to eye with everyone on that Crispus Attiicus speech, but to me it reeked of a white dude going, "IF IIII WAS BLACK".

It especially hurts because Luke supposedly GREW UP in the south, so he of all people should know better.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron is poop from a butt

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Age of Ultron is poop from a butt

It had some good bits. None of which involved Ultron.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Luke Cage:

Cottonmouth had a pretty good thing going with the comparisons between himself and his cousin, and their very different views of their parents. The father being supportive of Cottonmouth's playing while the mother attempts to toughen him up by having him kill people and whatnot, while Mariah views the father as a threatening rapist and her mother as the protector who ultimately steps in. With the added twist of the knife of forcing Cottonmouth to kill the one person who actually seem to care about him and his interests.

That's a damn solid bit of writing and I don't know how you'd be able to add Luke in there as his brother without wrecking things.

I think they'd have done better if they had Diamondback show up earlier and not actually reveal him as Diamondback. Have him not only less crazy, but even attempting to get to know Luke. It'd be a bit cliche, but it'd let them have conversations about their families with each other, so you'd be able to see their very different views and then the reveal would hopefully make those conversations all sorts of excellent. Plus they'd be able to have scenes where Diamondback would be taking phone calls from Shades while with Luke, and we hear the one side or the other of the conversation.

Mabel and Pete were their grandmother and uncle respectively.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I liked Age of Ultron. It wasn't as good as Avengers, or Civil War, but it felt like an authentic summer superhero blockbuster comic.

I haven't seen it again, though. Maybe it'll be terrible on a rewatch.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I liked Age of Ultron. It wasn't as good as Avengers, or Civil War, but it felt like an authentic summer superhero blockbuster comic.

I haven't seen it again, though. Maybe it'll be terrible on a rewatch.

I actually found it better on re-watch. A lot of the "info" you need is in the movie, but its so packed and dense and moves so quickly its incredibly easy to miss it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I hurt my own ability to enjoy Ultron because I was somewhat altered via booze/etc. when I saw it, and oh man it expected a lot more of my attention than I was able to give it.

I still don't remember it very fondly, but I want to give it another shake because I really enjoy every other film in the MCU.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm in the same boat as Bogart with respect to Age of Ultron. It's not great, but there's plenty there I like. It might be different for me if I followed the comics and had more than a rudimentary knowledge of Ultron as a character, mind you.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    AoU definitely improved for me on a second watch. It's not a masterpiece, but it doesn't belong in the same heap as genuinely awful superhero movies (X-3, Spidey 3, Wolverine Origins, etc.)

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as Bogart with respect to Age of Ultron. It's not great, but there's plenty there I like. It might be different for me if I followed the comics and had more than a rudimentary knowledge of Ultron as a character, mind you.

Spader as Ultron was fine. I dunno if there were many hardcore comicbook nerds outraged at his portrayal. I didn't see any big issues with it, and I think his voice acting got almost uniformly positive notices. They changed his origin away from being the creation of Hank Pym, but that's about the only substantive thing I can think of.

• Options
    I loved it.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Luke Cage:

They would have done better with no Diamondback.
    He was useless to the narrative other than being the supplier, a setup for a future big bad that might have been viable for season 2.

As noted, his appearance ran contrary to everything the show had established about him.
    Prior to jumping out and chewing on scenery, he was calculating and cautious. He didn't just let Cottonmouth run free, nor did he tell him that he'd take care of Cage.
    Shades told him flat out, "ask him for help, he's taking your territory".

Cottonmouth made Luke Cage a great show. Character, writing, narrative, acting. In every way he was superior to Diamondback.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I love AoU for fleshing out Hulk and making him feel like a liability for the Avengers

Also it's when Tony gets a face full of humble pie

• Options
    Spader as Ultron was brilliant. I think I remember most of his dialogue verbatim, he sells it so hard.

It was a weird choice to have such an articulated, animated face for him though. It helped make him feel like a person rather than a program, but it gave a weird uncanny vibe in some scenes. Like when he's listening to Pietro's sad story, he does this kinda deep breath shoulder sigh. Ultron don't breath! :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Spader as Ultron was brilliant. I think I remember most of his dialogue verbatim, he sells it so hard.

It was a weird choice to have such an articulated, animated face for him though. It helped make him feel like a person rather than a program, but it gave a weird uncanny vibe in some scenes. Like when he's listening to Pietro's sad story, he does this kinda deep breath shoulder sigh. Ultron don't breath! :P

Right, but he learnes mannerisms and language from the internet. I like to think he hit 4chan and was like "okay yeah lets nuke these fuckers"

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

More than anything, Ultron just wanted to be a real boy.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I thought Spader did a fine job as an overly confident cyborg, but the mocap was just a bit too good for me.

Like Ultron would do that head nod shoulder tilt thing that Spader does and suddenly I'm watching Spader instead of Ultron.

If that makes sense.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Ifazxc7.jpg

They look more like skulls.
    It's probably mission markers, also called "Victory Marks", and it's probably per mission in his suit, not per kill. No one in the AF does per-kill, they do it based on mission. Usually because there are a lot of missions with no kills, and over time the amount of kills would cover most of the aircraft. They do vary things like color or type of the markings to mean different things, and it's also probably why there's a triangle in the middle of it.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Ifazxc7.jpg

They look more like skulls.
    It's probably mission markers, also called "Victory Marks", and it's probably per mission in his suit, not per kill. No one in the AF does per-kill, they do it based on mission. Usually because there are a lot of missions with no kills, and over time the amount of kills would cover most of the aircraft. They do vary things like color or type of the markings to mean different things, and it's also probably why there's a triangle in the middle of it.

I think 22 Ultron bots is probably accurate for him. Considering he came in late to the fight.

• Options
    I got a giftcard to amazon, wondered what I should buy, in my wish list I had a Marvel Legends Iron Man helmet

so I own an Iron Man helmet now

• Options
    I got a giftcard to amazon, wondered what I should buy, in my wish list I had a Marvel Legends Iron Man helmet

Pics or shens.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

hmmm.. I kinda want one now.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    It won't arrive until friday but you best believe my costume next year will be "Iron Man x Daft Punk"

The eyes even light up! *batteries not included*

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The triangle is the tank he threw at the dictator.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I don't know anything about who the person was who actually was responsible for the markings, but if they did intentionally reference 22 Kill, that'd be cool.

• Options
    Oh brilliant
  • Options

I don't know what you mean by closer look, that's still a ridiculously tiny image. Even zooming in those markings are only a couple pixels across.

• Options
    huh, it's 1920x800 for me, weird. :O

Oh brilliant