As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I would love for rhe marvel movies to have a theme as immediately recognizable as the Superman or Burton Batman theme...but it's not necessary. The music Marvel uses isn't near that level but it works. GotG and the Iron Man movies probably had the best music out of them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i mean i think some people kind of pointed it out but the clip is making two points. are marvel movie songs memorable, and/or also, do they service the movies appropriately.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Watched Civil War again last night with the pops.

Yeah. This movie is really fucking good. Its actually a bit more dense than I remember, and a lot of little bits I missed the first time really came out on a second viewing.

Its so good.

It might be my favorite, I dunno.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Watched Civil War again last night with the pops.

Yeah. This movie is really fucking good. Its actually a bit more dense than I remember, and a lot of little bits I missed the first time really came out on a second viewing.

Its so good.

It might be my favorite, I dunno.

4th viewing last night for me too. I agree its probably the best one yet.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i mean i think some people kind of pointed it out but the clip is making two points. are marvel movie songs memorable, and/or also, do they service the movies appropriately.

I think their music selection is fine. But they could take some risks to try and make a theme that's really sticking with each of the hero's.

Ultimately it's not going to make me dislike the movies because of it, but there's something to be said for having a striking and memorable main theme in a movie.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I love the music from Winter Soldier, especially the end credits song.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Meh, I feel like having a recognizable theme can do a lot for a franchise. I can still immediately hum the Justice League theme from the cartoon, or Batman TAS or 90's X-Men. Raimi Spider-Man had a pretty decent theme, too.

I think some of the music for Marvel stuff is great, but none of it sticks with me for long. I think part of it is the sheer number of Marvel films, the only themes that jump out at me are the Avengers theme and Iron Man's. Cap movies have great music but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Watching Civil War again and I can't help but ask "Are we going to see the fallout of the Accords in the shows?" Like, Stark figured out who Spiderman was. How long before he figures out who Daredevil is? Or finds Deathlock? Or catches any of the Inhumans (which there is a lot of).

What are the bounds of the Accords? Does it just effect the Avengers or will it apply to everyone who dons a mask? Can other people sign? Did Spiderman sign?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Look, the more details you try and make about the Accords, the more likely people are going to be able to point out logical inconsistencies or plotholes in it.

Leave it nebulous, and it will function as the plot requires.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "Ghost Rider, as a revenant from Actual Hell, I'm afraid we're gonna need to see your nefarious permits to practice Vengeance in this jurisdiction."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Look, the more details you try and make about the Accords, the more likely people are going to be able to point out logical inconsistencies or plotholes in it.

But I already do that with 90% of movies already.

My sister hates it when I watch my niece because she comes back and I've broken down all the mistakes and plotholes from the Disney Fairy movies.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

But I already do that with 90% of movies already.

My sister hates it when I watch my niece because she comes back and I've broken down all the mistakes and plotholes from the Disney Fairy movies.

So you're basically the devil is what you're saying :P

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Watching Civil War again and I can't help but ask "Are we going to see the fallout of the Accords in the shows?" Like, Stark figured out who Spiderman was. How long before he figures out who Daredevil is? Or finds Deathlock? Or catches any of the Inhumans (which there is a lot of).

What are the bounds of the Accords? Does it just effect the Avengers or will it apply to everyone who dons a mask? Can other people sign? Did Spiderman sign?

These are unanswered, but as far as I can tell it's anybody who has natural abilities or technological advancement that allows them to be superhuman.

• Options
    I am guessing the reason Ghost Rider drives a car is because it's easier to hire an actor who can drive than one who rides a bike.

Or, they're saving the motorcycle reveal for later.

Interested to see how Ghosty looks when he's in flame-head mode

• Options

These are unanswered, but as far as I can tell it's anybody who has natural abilities or technological advancement that allows them to be superhuman.

Then were is that line of "natural abilities?" Would an athlete like Ronda Rousey be "a vigilante" if she stopped a robbery? Would the guy who plays The Mountain in GoT have to sign for being a beast of a man? Would the Punisher (if he wasn't a pyschopath already) be required to sign, despite the fact that he has no superpowers or enhancements?

While I loved the Civil War storyline from the comics, the movies have brought up the same questions I had when I read about the Superhero Resignation Act.

• Options
    I am guessing the reason Ghost Rider drives a car is because it's easier to hire an actor who can drive than one who rides a bike.

tSauqaf.jpg

Looks like they tried to compromise between the classic Ghost Rider flaming skull look and the stylized skull helmet look of the particular Ghost Rider they're using. Like most compromises it's kind of disappointing, but maybe it will look better in the actual show?

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of he outfit. The skull is alright, but if Squward cost a lot to CGI, I can't image we'll see much of the flaming skull look for him.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fire cgi almost always looks better in motion than a still image

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Then were is that line of "natural abilities?" Would an athlete like Ronda Rousey be "a vigilante" if she stopped a robbery? Would the guy who plays The Mountain in GoT have to sign for being a beast of a man? Would the Punisher (if he wasn't a pyschopath already) be required to sign, despite the fact that he has no superpowers or enhancements?

While I loved the Civil War storyline from the comics, the movies have brought up the same questions I had when I read about the Superhero Resignation Act.

Dont know. Maybe thatll be addressed in a future film?

• Options

tSauqaf.jpg

Looks like they tried to compromise between the classic Ghost Rider flaming skull look and the stylized skull helmet look of the particular Ghost Rider they're using. Like most compromises it's kind of disappointing, but maybe it will look better in the actual show?

That doesn't look terrible, but also not great either. Guess we'll have to wait to see it in motion. I can't help but feel the CGI skull is always the weakest part, I always feel a real skull would just look better.

• Options

tSauqaf.jpg

That doesn't look terrible, but also not great either. Guess we'll have to wait to see it in motion. I can't help but feel the CGI skull is always the weakest part, I always feel a real skull would just look better.

That's the odd thing actually, because as I said, the Ghost Rider they're using for the show doesn't have a skull in the comics, but a stylized skull helmet.

actvIvu.jpg

Could have done a cool practical helmet and had digital flames and stuff added.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    comparing the marvel films' music to john williams' is kind of profoundly unfair, because john williams is a singular talent who has composed the half dozen most memorable pieces of orchestral music of the modern era. Most people probably could not tell you what a leitmotif is, but they immediately recognize six or eight of williams' even though they were featured in films that are now forty years old.

the marvel films' soundtracks are workmanlike, but successful. The avengers' theme does a great job of conveying the conflicting relief that the heroes are showing up with the tension that made their presence necessary, and accomplishes that in four readily-adaptable bars.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

pg

That's the odd thing actually, because as I said, the Ghost Rider they're using for the show doesn't have a skull in the comics, but a stylized skull helmet.

i.imgur.cg

Could have done a cool practical helmet and had digital flames and stuff added.
    Wow I uh, really don't like that design. The costume is fine but that helmet is so weird. I don't like the weird flame-vent on the forehead. Well, atleast they are pulling directly from the comics I suppose.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    comparing the marvel films' music to john williams' is kind of profoundly unfair, because john williams is a singular talent who has composed the half dozen most memorable pieces of orchestral music of the modern era. Most people probably could not tell you what a leitmotif is, but they immediately recognize six or eight of williams' even though they were featured in films that are now forty years old.

the marvel films' soundtracks are workmanlike, but successful. The avengers' theme does a great job of conveying the conflicting relief that the heroes are showing up with the tension that made their presence necessary, and accomplishes that in four readily-adaptable bars.

Like I said earlier, I have pretty much the same exact problems with TFA...and they did have williams working on that!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Has anyone said why they're going with a legacy character on AoS instead of starting out with Johnny Blaze?

I kind of hope that they allude to the Nicolas Cage movies as being in canon.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Has anyone said why they're going with a legacy character on AoS instead of starting out with Johnny Blaze?

Very doubtful, if the previous GR's do show up it'll be entirely new - like with Spider-man.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Because Johnny Blaze is goofy as hell?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Because Johnny Blaze is goofy as hell?
    haHA!

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Very doubtful, if the previous GR's do show up it'll be entirely new - like with Spider-man.

I'd just like to hear someone (Mack) say, "Didn't you used to ride a motorcycle?"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    That actually looks interesting! Was it? What is it?

sig.gif
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That pic makes it look like a bunch of people trick or treating as Spider-Man. I love it.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    I know it's a running joke across continuities that the police frickin' loathe Spider-Man, but I still love it when he tries to claim otherwise. I just imagine he's that intensely naive and earnestly wants to believe that they're on his side.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    That actually looks interesting! Was it? What is it?

Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. It actually got good, apparently.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, it would be all but impossible to have amazingly memorable music in even a third of the MCU films. The themes from the OT Star Wars films is so memorable because those films were so unique, unprecedented, and groundbreaking that they had decades to sink in. Same with the (good) Indiana Jones films.

The MCU gets something like, what, 2-3 films a year at this point? Plus multiple TV series? Even if they did come up with an amazing piece they reused, it would feel worn out within a year if they used it for multiple films and whatnot. Not to mention they aren't films that really lend to being thematically supported by their music; they aren't space operas or grand adventure films, they're action films.

That's not to say the scores could stand to be less generic, but no property with that sort of output is going to have scores as memorable as films or trilogies that stood out for decades.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Yes. They did this in AoS where they were asking Coulson to join the accords and for the people on his team to register.

There's a significant difference between "Usain Bolt" and "Usain Bolt who spends most of his time physically saving people and fighting bad guys".

Dedwrekka on
  • Options

Personally, I can see Daredevil dodging all this because unless it's paid close attention to he's just an ordinary physically fit dude in a mask. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones? That's a different story.

• Options

Personally, I can see Daredevil dodging all this because unless it's paid close attention to he's just an ordinary physically fit dude in a mask. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones? That's a different story.

Daredevil's powers are also the least directly dangerous in the MCU at the moment. Those other three are walking WMDs.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD seems like much bigger threats than any of the Defenders, IMO. Jessica and Luke are super strong, but nothing like Thor or Hulk. Jessica can sort of float, but not fly. Luke is hard to kill, but not invincible. Daredevil is no more dangerous than any given ninja, of which there are apparently plenty!

Oh brilliant