As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, my favorite thing by far was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    ... and also Star Wars
    ... and also Power Rangers for a while there
    ... and also Jurassic Park
    Etc. Kids don't like just one thing to the exclusion of every other thing.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Huh? A question, and I guess Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 casting spoilers:
    Apparently Sylvester Stallone has a role in it? But IMDB doesn't list who he's playing. Has there been speculation yet, or do we know anything?

speculation I saw might be Starhawk from the future GOTG

The only thing known is that Kurt Russell didn't have a scene with him so no Tango & Cash reunion

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Apparently Sylvester Stallone has a role in it? But IMDB doesn't list who he's playing. Has there been speculation yet, or do we know anything?
    Starlord kidnapped him and is forcing him to do an off-off-off-Broadway production of Rocky.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, my favorite thing by far was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    ... and also Star Wars
    ... and also Power Rangers for a while there
    ... and also Jurassic Park
    Etc. Kids don't like just one thing to the exclusion of every other thing.

I'm a big fan of Trek and Wars, Marvel and DC, etc etc.
    I am geek, I contain multitudes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    GOTG could totally kick Star Wars's's's ass.

Most of it, sure, but some of it is off the charts crazy town. You really think GotG has what it takes to take on Jedi/Sith/Planet Busting Weapon Platforms?

I mean, this is before watching GotG2, maybe in that they take on that rogue sentient planet or Galacticus and win? Don't think that is in the trailer(s) but I suppose the Marvel comic-verse does have a few things that could give Luke/Darth Vader/Deathstar v3.0 pause.

I'm interested to see how you back that statement up, though a PM may be more appropriate given the thread :D

Star Lord helped take out an entire universe that had killed the cosmic concept of death.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    GotG vs Star Wars?

Cosmo is good Sputnik Dog. He will give all Jedi many nightmares to loosen the bowels. Yes Comrade?
    Chewie vs Groot - I AM GROOT
    Han vs Starlord - Han couldn't handle Peter's dance moves
    Gamora and Drax vs everyone else - Thumb across neck means death!

Ronin vs Vader. Vader in the comics / extended universe got pretty powerful. But Ronin, with his hammer and the power stone, was a weapon of mass destruction. Ronin with just his hammer is enough to Judge any Sith or Jedi and find them wanting.

Considering how utterly INSANE Marvel Cosmic gets. If the Star Wars crew came over to Cosmic Marvel. It would be about the Equivalent of that time Starlord and Nova ended up in the Cancerverse. The universe would be so utterly alien that they could barely comprehend.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Starlord kidnapped him and is forcing him to do an off-off-off-Broadway production of Rocky.
    Starlord needs him to win a bet with Eternity. Only Stallone can beat Eternity in an arm wrestling competition by going OVER THE TOP

• Options
    If Cosmo doesn't get some good screen time ima rage.

• Options
    If Cosmo doesn't get some good screen time ima rage.

If they go back. I want them to imply that since the first movie. Cosmo has become the Sheriff of Knowhere.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Star Wars is more feminist and more racially diverse than the series that came out 40 years later.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    GotG vs Star Wars?

Cosmo is good Sputnik Dog. He will give all Jedi many nightmares to loosen the bowels. Yes Comrade?
    Chewie vs Groot - I AM GROOT
    Han vs Starlord - Han couldn't handle Peter's dance moves
    Gamora and Drax vs everyone else - Thumb across neck means death!

Ronin vs Vader. Vader in the comics / extended universe got pretty powerful. But Ronin, with his hammer and the power stone, was a weapon of mass destruction. Ronin with just his hammer is enough to Judge any Sith or Jedi and find them wanting.

Considering how utterly INSANE Marvel Cosmic gets. If the Star Wars crew came over to Cosmic Marvel. It would be about the Equivalent of that time Starlord and Nova ended up in the Cancerverse. The universe would be so utterly alien that they could barely comprehend.

Oh, really?

exv5g5wv9zfg.jpg

• Options
    James Gunn, drunk with power, has confirmed
    post-credit scenes for GotGv2.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Damn I love him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

awwww man i got really excited to come here with the news.

Anyway,im betting most of them are just little post story bits lasting a few seconds or so.

• Options
    Early reviews are coming in for GotG2.

All the ones i read were positive with the exception of "that one guy" who prattles on about how it isnt as good as the first, and too many effects, and not deep enough until finally admitting that "I'm not a fan of these kind of movies" in the end. Go figure. Sorry it wasnt an artful commentary on humanity using extreme deep cinematography and set design.
    Its a movie about a bunch of a-holes in space featuring a smart ass raccoon and a lovable tree.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Captain Marvel has a Director, but in a surprising twist, it's a pair of Directors

*formatting changed so lost the headline there*
    Captain Marvel’ Finds Directors in Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
    Best known for their character-driven dramas like Ryan Gosling’s “Half Nelson” (2006) and Ryan Reynolds’ “Mississippi Grind” (2015), Boden and Fleck also directed episodes for such popular TV series as Showtime’s “The Affair” and “Billions.”

I've not seen any of their prior work, but it's good to see the film moving forward

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mississippi Grind was a good VOD movie that really shows no bearing on doing a space action movie, but it continues past choices where Marvel takes lesser known people just so they can control their actions better.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jeez, I didn't realize how close we were to GotG2's release. I'm behind on my Marvel movies again; I never saw Dr. Strange.

• Options
    Mississippi Grind was a good VOD movie that really shows no bearing on doing a space action movie, but it continues past choices where Marvel takes lesser known people just so they can control their actions better.

Seems like a small trade off for getting a massive bump in your career. Thats like going from the Varsity football team to the Patriots.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Jeez, I didn't realize how close we were to GotG2's release. I'm behind on my Marvel movies again; I never saw Dr. Strange.

Good news, it's coming to netflix next month!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I know I'm not the target audience but that didn't look good.

And 2018? That's a long way off.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Thought it looked pretty sweet myself.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    It looked like it was not made for my middle age ass, but for the youngsters.

Which is cool, not everything has to be for me. Marvel is a big enough brand now that they can branch out and do different stuff.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Or if you're like me and have PSVR, you get that shit on 3D blu-ray and taste the colors.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Or if you're like me and have PSVR, you get that shit on 3D blu-ray and taste the colors.

If it's like my other VR experiences I'll just assume the colors taste like vomit and save myself the trouble.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

If it's like my other VR experiences I'll just assume the colors taste like vomit and save myself the trouble.

While kinda off topic, I've been pleasantly surprised by my overall PSVR experience. The Move controllers certainly are less precise and the play area a lot tighter than what I experienced demoing the VIVE on a sufficiently powerful PC, but for a living room and/or couch experience it works quite well and I can be sensitive to vertigo and thus far the only thing that's made me even the least bit queasy was EVE Valkyrie in the middle of a heavy dogfight.

And the added 3D blu-ray functionality has been a great treat. It replicates about a 70-75" screen just a few feet in front of your face, so it fills your whole cone of vision and you don't have distracting dead spots on the periphery, and I find the 3D on it pops better than what it does on the 3DTV several of my friends rock.

Dr. Strange is by far the best looking of the Marvel films I've tried in 3D with it, although surprisingly Thor and Avengers 1 hold up pretty nice as well.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Just don't be in a hurry to watch it, because it's arriving on the 30th.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Just google for it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Eh.

I mean, it might be good but this trailer is all teen angst and no "this is also a Marvel show". If I wanted teen angst without superpowers I'd turn on CW and there's a 100% shot of teen angst and only a 50% shot of superpowers.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's a market for "teen angst show based on *random* property" and Marvel is looking to have a show in every genre and on every channel by 2025

Like, they made a show based on Archie and it found it's legs with kids who don't give a shit about Archie

• Options
    There's a market for "teen angst show based on *random* property" and Marvel is looking to have a show in every genre and on every channel by 2025

Like, they made a show based on Archie and it found it's legs with kids who don't give a shit about Archie

DC is kind of killing it with this model. Everyone's in their 20s, but it's basically still the teen angst show model.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As a fan of the characters from the comics, the trailer for Cloak and Dagger looked pretty fantastic. Much better than I thought it was going to.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    What the heck is Freeform?
    Wondering if after its done airing if I could buy the episodes on Amazon so I can watch them on my xbox or my kindle fire.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Riverdale doesn't really fit that mold. It's much more of a teen take on Twin Peaks than it is generic teen angst. And it has a large and widely varied age-wise fanbase in SE++.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Riverdale doesn't really fit that mold. It's much more of a teen take on Twin Peaks than it is generic teen angst. And it has a large and widely varied age-wise fanbase in SE++.

Wait for the surprise twist in Season 3 where it turns into Afterlife with Archie.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    What the heck is Freeform?
    Wondering if after its done airing if I could buy the episodes on Amazon so I can watch them on my xbox or my kindle fire.

Freeform is the cable network formerly known as ABC Family.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Wait for the surprise twist in Season 3 where it turns into Afterlife with Archie.

You joke, but I thought I read something about them wanting to introduce
    Sabrina
    next season.