As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crack Down

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    That is an excellent OP. Hopefully the game is excellent too.

The original Crackdown I loved and managed to collect every single agility and secret orb without a guide. I wanted to do the same in Crackdown 2, but I lost my interest due to the obnoxious co-op orbs.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Y'know, I would have done the co-op orbs with you. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Eurogamer have done a video highlight everyone's fav Crack Down game!

https://youtu.be/YIYsEyeRv6w

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Eurogamer have done a video highlight everyone's fav Crack Down game!

https://youtu.be/YIYsEyeRv6w

Haha nice

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Tbh Ben Breaker sounds like a fucking awesome name to have

The question of the day: Are we gonna get the crack down today? ARE WE?

What I'd like for them to announce is either backwards compatibility for Crackdown 1 and Crackdong 2. Or maybe HD versions. Maybe that's why it's delayed again. Probably not. It's probably due to incompetence. Or whatever.

edited June 2018
    Drez wrote: »
    The question of the day: Are we gonna get the crack down today? ARE WE?

What I'd like for them to announce is either backwards compatibility for Crackdown 1 and Crackdong 2. Or maybe HD versions. Maybe that's why it's delayed again. Probably not. It's probably due to incompetence. Or whatever.

the first Crackdown is already backwards compatible.

EDIT: think its on sale right now too.

Wraith260 on
    Is it?!?!?

It is!!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    What is?

Crack Down

7 minutes till the Crack Down

And there it is.

looks very pretty at least. hopefully that's not all it has going for it.

This game comes out very soon and almost every video I watch for it looks boring. I'm scared that this game is going to be a dud and that'll be it for the series.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Probably.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I remember Crackdown 1 being innovative for its time and incredibly bland in hindsight. Open world games have come so far since then.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aren't Crackdown 1 and 2 essentially the same game, down to the story and twist?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If Crackdown 3 is basically Crackdown 1/2 but pretty I'll play through the whole damn thing. I might never touch it again but I like those old games enough to play a new one and I'd kinda rather they didn't change it all that much.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I want to collect all the agility orbs.

From the videos you aren't even running around a city anymore? It's just layers and layers of rectangles.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Crackdown 3 exists and it was called Saints Row IV

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Crackdown 3 exists and it was called Saints Row IV

Saint's Row 4 is definitely the best open world game in a long time.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    From the videos you aren't even running around a city anymore? It's just layers and layers of rectangles.

Multiplayer, yes. Single player, however, still has your running around a city doing orb collecting and whatnot.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    urahonky wrote: »

Multiplayer, yes. Single player, however, still has your running around a city doing orb collecting and whatnot.

I can't seem to find any information on the single player. Is there a video out there that you've seen that shows the city?

edited February 2019
    I'd say skip to the middle of the video if you wanna avoid any intro/spoilery stuff I found a better video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhZ7bJmgRIw

Undead Monkey on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Remember the huge promises about cloud computing and crackdown architecture? I can't believe how many years ago that was. I've kept my Xbone mostly to play this when it comes out, and it seems like it was stuck in development hell too long.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Remember the huge promises about cloud computing and crackdown architecture? I can't believe how many years ago that was. I've kept my Xbone mostly to play this when it comes out, and it seems like it was stuck in development hell too long.

Thankfully I'm a huge Gears guy, so I get plenty of mileage out of my Xbox, but yeah - the disparity between what was originally announced and what it looks like we're getting is pretty immense.

I’m playing it. It’s not bad so far.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

The DF would do a better job in an actual technical analysis, but "Wrecking Zone" is basically "Absurd-ass levels of environmental destruction that are unparalleled." Even if those levels are totally pointless, which there is a strong case for.

The developers came out and said, "Yes, this will only work in multiplayer." If you've ever actually played a video game at some point, you'd dumb not to realize how broken the game would be in singleplayer if that sort of environment destruction were implemented uniformly. Flawed concept, but I can't doubt their enthusiasm for the technology, and it will be useful in other games down the line.

Disclaimer: I...don't actually like Crackdown. The first one. I tried to play it most recently when it went on B.C., my car got stuck on barrier, sideways, and I got killed as soon as I got out. Not my kind of game. When I bought my Xbox One, I literally did not remember that Crackdown existed, or for that matter, there was as DMC2-esque sequel.

Synthesis on
    I don’t really see how the environment destruction would work in the campaign thus far. I fully understand why it was excised now. This isn’t Red Faction with a (more or less) tightly controlled profession for the player. It’s an open world the progression is really the agent’s growth from weak to strong and the object is to save the city (again). Blowing it the fuck up is somewhat incongruous to the game’s ideals.

That said, I’m gonna hop into Wrecking Zone mode now.

Not to mention actively breaking the gameplay loop of mission, collect, level up skill, new mission, collect, and so forth.

Congratulations, three-fourths of the location-based challenges no longer work because you destroyed the necessary buildings to climb to reach them.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I don’t really see how the environment destruction would work in the campaign thus far. I fully understand why it was excised now. This isn’t Red Faction with a (more or less) tightly controlled profession for the player. It’s an open world the progression is really the agent’s growth from weak to strong and the object is to save the city (again). Blowing it the fuck up is somewhat incongruous to the game’s ideals.

That said, I’m gonna hop into Wrecking Zone mode now.

Could you imagine being able to just walk across the rooftop on some of those stages in the past games and shoot down through the floor until you pop the dude boss? Or just blow up the base of a building and win?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying crackdown 3, its not game of the year, but its good for right now. Plus you know Terry Crews and I have to make my snake skin boots QUACK QUACK MOTHER FUCKER!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm sad this dropped when I'm on other games and not a year ago, because I would've been so into it. Now I'm going to not look into it till after the multi has basically died.

I'm sad this dropped when I'm on other games and not a year ago, because I would've been so into it. Now I'm going to not look into it till after the multi has basically died.

Putting aside development time, "Better to release a game late than broken*", etc., that's a classic case of a completely understandable request--which would also put in direct conflict with someone else's same problem. Have we actually had a "lull" in the last 6 months? Crackdown 3, and plenty of other titles, have to run that gauntlet pretty much by releasing at any point in late 2018 or later. Or at least, it feels that way.

Of course, Crackdown 3 was delayed multiple times to the point of mockery. Though some of the original dates, like November, were even worse from a standpoint of release crowding.

Maybe there's a good solution to this, I just can't think of it.

*Which, from the standpoint of a game as a commercial venture necessitating financial returns, can't really be treated as always true.

I'm really having a lot of fun with this.

Crackdown kinda came out of nowhere for me and ate up so much of my time - probably my most played game on the 360.

3 feels SO much like the first, but does a good job of expanding on the mechanics of 1 without making changes as to kill the original's feel.

It also looks pretty damn good on PC with everything set to Ultra.

Synthesis wrote: »

Putting aside development time, "Better to release a game late than broken*", etc., that's a classic case of a completely understandable request--which would also put in direct conflict with someone else's same problem. Have we actually had a "lull" in the last 6 months? Crackdown 3, and plenty of other titles, have to run that gauntlet pretty much by releasing at any point in late 2018 or later. Or at least, it feels that way.

Of course, Crackdown 3 was delayed multiple times to the point of mockery. Though some of the original dates, like November, were even worse from a standpoint of release crowding.

*Which, from the standpoint of a game as a commercial venture necessitating financial returns, can't really be treated as always true.

You're absolutely right. I hope it's an amazing game. It's just funny to me because Crackdown 3 was on the list of titles when I justified my original purchase of the Xbone.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly the only real change I'd set is removing other agents. Who would not play as Terry Crews? WHO ARE YOU MONSTER?!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Synthesis wrote: »

You're absolutely right. I hope it's an amazing game. It's just funny to me because Crackdown 3 was on the list of titles when I justified my original purchase of the Xbone.

Then you've been very patient. I borrowed a PS4 for an absurd nine months to play a single game, and I almost justified buying the console for said game--though the last holiday season saw me paying off an insurance deductible, so another excuse not to pay $200, which would've been a steal.

Granted, I already owned the game when I borrowed the console. And my cheapness is unusual, almost legendary.