As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crack Down

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    That's the one saving grace. If I lose significant progress (10+ minutes) on a crash in a game I'm not playing anymore after the second time it happens.

Yeah it doesn't matter the game either. If I'm playing and the game crashes and you have to redo 10+ minutes I just put the game down and move on.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Especially a game like this where it's completely mindless so I won't have remembered anything I did or collected during that time.

So not all the agents in the opening cutscene are playable. That sucks. I wanted to be Alita because her hair is cool.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So not all the agents in the opening cutscene are playable. That sucks. I wanted to be Alita because her hair is cool.

I'm hoping they add more Agents, a lot of them are really generic compared to the old have which had really wild evolutions as they went.

More agent customization in general would have been nice

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiCflkDr_5g

This is a really good take!

God damn it. I went to sign up for Xbox Live Game Pass and now it's $1 for the first month, and $10 for every month after. I should have just done it yesterday when it was $2 for 2 months. Ah well.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Crackdown 2 would have been so much better if they hadn't just used, damn near polygon for polygon, the exact same city as the first one.

It made it feel more like a DLC than a sequel. It didn't help that the mutant wave things were just boring. It was nice there was a lot of side stuff, and they definitely tightened a lot of the gameplay elements like controls and such, but yeah.

Anyway, I picked up Crackdown 3. Bummer the multiplayer stuff seems to be such a letdown, but the core game looks to be just as fun as the previous ones, and given it was specifically the reason I bought an XB1 in the first place (and I've barely touched it as a result), I felt like I had to get it out of some sense of justification. Ironically, I'll be playing the game on the PC. :rotate: Or, at least, playing first, to see if my system can handle it really.

Only mildly related, jebus chroost is the UI for the XB1 god awful. Who in their right mind thought it was in any way usable?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Just started playing this about an hour ago and I fucking love it. It's nothing new from Crackdown 2 but at this point I don't even care. My only gripe is the running animation is very odd looking. But I'm usually jumping around and looking up for agility orbs anyway.

I think i've finished pretty much everything I want to do. All missions done and rooftop races, dna strands and stuff. Ended up maxxing out guns and punching, but I don't feel like grinding out the others. Level 5 agility was more than enough to do what I needed, hunting down enough orbs to get that last .24 to max it would just be busy work.

It was fun. Not 6 hours short like I heard other places, but definitely on the short side. Glad I spent the $2 to try it though.

Why are there cars in this game though?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cars as designed by someone who heard of cars and hates them.

I hate how all the stunt ring challenges seemed like a variety of "pick up agency car and leap up to a place to jump through the ring"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    And all the stunt rings and car races do is give you car xp.

There's absolutely no reason to do any of them. Unless you're achievement chasing I guess.

Tell me the batmobile exists at least. That car from the first (or second, can't remember) was amazing.

Honestly the Agency car's transformations are a big letdown to me. The old Agency Truck and Sports car were so much cooler. Also, where are the freaking motorcycles?

You do get an agency car at different levels of the car skill. As it rises it gets features like climbing up walls and stuff, or something. I'm not sure how that works because I literally never used it.

edited February 2019
    It's not the same as how they used to behave. Used to be you'd get a base car, and as your driving rank went up it evolved and gained new abilities. Everything you hopped in, you got to see it transform up to level 5 each time. Was very badass. Now it's just crappy "forms" and it doesn't really have a transforming animation.

https://youtu.be/4cJJ0TjIYJY

Local H Jay on
    Damn. Oh well it's not a game breaker. The melee in this game is significantly improved too. It's much more satisfying.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Damn. Oh well it's not a game breaker. The melee in this game is significantly improved too. It's much more satisfying.

Yeah everything but the cars is better. And honestly even the game is designed around pretty much never using cars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I saw a couple of videos of people divebombing objectives with cars, that does seem to do decent damage

edited February 2019
    I saw a couple of videos of people divebombing objectives with cars, that does seem to do decent damage

I don't think I would have ever considered doing that.

If you've got high enough strength, throwing cars is definitely the quickest way to clear some of the higher level lockdowns, as the vehicles you need to destroy can take a bunch of rockets, yet can be blown up just by tossing them with 5+ Strength.

But yeah, I've played a ton the past few days and it's a lot of fun.

It isn't really doing anything to break the mold of the series, but it does have a lot more interesting enemies and objectives than the first two games, which helps; and it's nice to be in a new location. Damn near everything else about the game is not much different from the prior two, gameplay wise though.

Fortunately it's been long enough since 2 that it feels fresh to me. I know there's been other games that do similar style stuff, super powered whatevers, but it's not a genre of games I typically play outside of this.

I would imagine if you've recently played the first two games, or I guess something like Saints Row 4 or I dunno what else, it might feel redundant?

But for me, good times. Also Terry Crews. Which I guess is kind of redundant with "good times". :rotate:

EDIT: Personally the way they did vehicles in this game didn't bother me, as the way they've done driving in the previous two games was garbage, so it being bad, or not as good here, feels like...well, yeah...driving in Crackdown games is the worst and always the last thing I do after I've completed everything else. Usually souring the experience because I despise racing and driving in games, so why don't I finish with the thing I enjoy the least!?!?

EDIT2: Because why would you drive a car, even if it had a rocket launcher, or could drive up walls, if I can run where I'm going, climb up buildings, or punch/shoot things more effectively; without them? In the first game it felt like it was there because it was in GTA, and in 2 it felt like it was there because it was there in 1. They could have left them out entirely and I don't think the game would have lacked for it.

EDIT3: I haven't touched multiplayer so nothing I've said has anything to do with that.

The Dude With Herpes on

Saint's Row 4 has a scene where they replicate the They Live fight. It's hard to top that scene.

I just liked the design of the cars in the first game, it was really unique. It's a small qualm really but one feature I was excited to see come back.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I like driving because I like getting specific experience for driving over people. Beyond that I don’t care and I find trying to drive up walls just as maddening as ever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited February 2019
    I got so good at the truck wall climbing by the end of Crackdown 1. I managed to get it up that really tall black and red building, and run over one of the three big bosses in that one. Good times. Reminded me of the Tumbler scene from Batman Begins.

Local H Jay on
    edited February 2019
    I got so good at the truck wall climbing by the end of Crackdown 1. I managed to get it up that really tall black and red building, and run over one of the three big bosses in that one. Good times. Reminded me of the Tumbler scene from Batman Begins.

I did that exact same thing. But now I can't remember why; was there an achievement for it or something?

Maybe like drive a car off the highest point?

EDIT: Actually I think I did all the co-op achievements with you; did we do that together?

The Dude With Herpes on

I did that exact same thing. But now I can't remember why; was there an achievement for it or something?

Maybe like drive a car off the highest point?

EDIT: Actually I think I did all the co-op achievements with you; did we do that together?

I definitely didn't get all the achievements, so it might not have been me.

Down to the last boss, 50 or so agility orbs in the central area, and 100 or so hidden orbs throughout the rest of the island.

I really wish there were some more direct way to track down orbs, particularly if you're going to put 100 in one zone that is as vertical as the island is wide. There's no immediate way to figure out where the last handful could be without wasting an inordinate amount of time going through areas that could very easily have none; and when those individual areas are as big as whole sectors of the island, that sucks.

Of course the previous games had this problem too.

Just, anything, beyond the audio clue for hidden orbs, which requires the volume to be up, head phones, and/or turning off other sounds to hopefully hear something. But for agility orbs, there's nada. The best thing you can do is stand around and wait for night time and look for the green beams; but again with the central area being so big and so vertical, and the distance the game even draws the beams being so relatively low, that doesn't help here. Why can't they add a radar or something; maybe a compass to unlock somehow?

:rotate:

Once you get down to a handful left, it should increase the radius of the sound

It's such a shame that this game isn't talked about more. I am thoroughly enjoying my time with it! I understand people wanted bigger and more, but honestly these are the kinds of sequels I enjoy.

Did Microsoft even market this?

I think it’s release was delayed more times than the total number of ads I saw for it.

It doesn’t seem like they had any faith in it. There was not even a single reason for a Game Pass subscriber to preorder the game. Even Sea of Thieves had some shitty preorder bonus exclusive to people who preordered (i.e. not Game Pass subscribers).

Drez wrote: »
    Did Microsoft even market this?

I think it’s release was delayed more times than the total number of ads I saw for it.

It doesn’t seem like they had any faith in it. There was not even a single reason for a Game Pass subscriber to preorder the game. Even Sea of Thieves had some shitty preorder bonus exclusive to people who preordered (i.e. not Game Pass subscribers).

I never heard anything. The only reason I knew it was coming was because Terry Crews was talking about it on Twitter and I follow him.

This is why Microsoft buying up studios like Obsidian worries me. They don’t know what the fuck they are doing.

Eh I don't think Crackdown 3 was as strong as they hoped, and they knew it. Instead of hyping the game up just to let people down, they just used it as a glorified Game Pass commerical. Personally I think it's a miracle we got the game at all, I imagine Microsoft lost money on the development of the game and most other companies would have shelved the project.

Tbh it's not like Obsidian had many options otherwise, I'm pretty sure them being bought by Microsoft means they'll last longer than on their own

Eh I don't think Crackdown 3 was as strong as they hoped, and they knew it. Instead of hyping the game up just to let people down, they just used it as a glorified Game Pass commerical. Personally I think it's a miracle we got the game at all, I imagine Microsoft lost money on the development of the game and most other companies would have shelved the project.

Tbh it's not like Obsidian had many options otherwise, I'm pretty sure them being bought by Microsoft means they'll last longer than on their own

It didn’t seem to me like much of a commercial for Game Pass either. The standard “play this for free on release day with Game Pass!” is the standard line for all their Play Anywhere games. People in this very thread were confused about what Microsoft meant, and I can empathize with them.

I dunno, I just think Microsoft could have done a better job with marketing here, whether it was to promote Game Pass or the game itself.

Also I feel like Obsidian was doing well with crowdfunded titles. Did I miss something though? Were they on the brink of shuttering despite PoE and PoE 2?

Who bought HBS?

2 Agility orbs left in the central area and I just don't think I can do it.

Maybe I'll hunt down the hidden orbs and stumble across those two at the same time, but I can't think of anywhere I didn't look, several times.

I guess I can check and see if someone has made a video for them, but that'd still require either remembering where the prior 100 were, or checking all the places again.

Anyway, I'd say there was way less promotion of this, now, than there was when it was announced. I agree that they probably decided it wasn't worth the investment to advertise, particularly if it drew more attention to the fact that wrecking zone didn't end up at all what they introduced it as, and the main campaign, while a lot of fun, just didn't really have any major hook to compete with other releases right now.

If they were choosing between the cost to advertise meaning probably cancelling it, or releasing it quietly and letting the developers finish on a small budget, I'm glad they went with the latter. It's not amazing, but it was fun, and I'm happy in a way to have the idea of Crackdown 3 now functionally behind me. I don't feel a need for Crackdown 4, and it's highly unlikely it'll happen anyway.

?? I followed the socials for Game Pass and Xbox in general, and they released a bunch of Terry Crews-related marketing (including Inside Xbox stuff) leading up to release

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hK9CDkKxSNI

There were like 4-5 different TV spots like these

OK but what is TV

Also YouTube ads, algorithms w/e

edited March 2019
    Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just saw nothing. I don't watch TV, though (not on TV anyway). I do watch a lot of Youtube.

edit: What I mean is, I don't watch TV but I still am vaguely aware when something is being advertised through that medium. Like Spider-Man was hyped up the wazoo and I was aware. Granted, that represents the most marketing I may have ever seen for a game but still.

edit 2: Like, my TV and media consumption hasn't changed much in the interim but I remember seeing ads for Sea of Thieves and comparatively diddly-squat for Crackdown 3. Just could be my observational bias, though, I dunno.

Drez on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Honestly it's a mid tier game with a small following and it reviewed horribly. Making it an add for gamepass and not just throwing good money after bad with a big advertising campaign was probably the right call

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular