As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    At 62 hours, i am still loving the shit out of it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Good to know. It's going on The List.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's one of the best WRPGs I've played in a long, long while.

Its biggest problem is in fact that there's too much of it :P. It kinda overstays the welcome a bit by the final act, especially if you're trying to do all the quests.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I remember folks saying 2 was shorter than 1. Is that really true? I'm closing in on 80 hours, and I still haven're revealed all of the Act 2 map. (My D:OS1 playtime was around 100 hours.)

Speaking of the Act 2 map, there's an area...
    ...in the upper center with fireballs falling out of the sky, and a house split apart where you are attacked by Assassins.

Is there any way to enter that area without getting cursed?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I remember folks saying 2 was shorter than 1. Is that really true? I'm closing in on 80 hours, and I still haven're revealed all of the Act 2 map. (My D:OS1 playtime was around 100 hours.)

Speaking of the Act 2 map, there's an area...
    ...in the upper center with fireballs falling out of the sky, and a house split apart where you are attacked by Assassins.

Is there any way to enter that area without getting cursed?
    There's an enemy in that area, causing the status. It'll end once they're dead. You may have to do a couple of fights to get there.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I got through that area backwards. I talked to the NPC that asks you to cleanse the area after I already did. You start the fight off from an advantageous area too it's great.

butts
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    I got through that area backwards. I talked to the NPC that asks you to cleanse the area after I already did. You start the fight off from an advantageous area too it's great.

Indeed, if you have a couple of people with Teleport, you can win that fight with one eye closed. I think I did.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    To be fair the boss absolutely mauled the fuck out of one of my dudes but then I took it to ram ranch the following turn. When you get to an area a level or two ahead with gear scaled to your level, you hit hard.

Although let's be honest this isn't a twitchy reflex game, you could beat the entire game with one eye closed with zero difficulty. I could even one up it and beat it with one eye closed and using only my non dominant hand. :p

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Adramalamadingdong down!
    Christ, even "weakened" that was a fight. Dude had 20K normal armor and near 30K magic armor. I don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd actually fought fair.

Course, I didn't. What I did was send my main character in first, trigger dialogue, and while Adramalashaymalan ranted at her for not bringing Lohse, Lohse, Ifan, and Beast pulled his minions and pulverized them easily. Then it was just Adramalamaline and his pocket nurse against my entire party.

And even then, it required spending a decent amount of Source on healing!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So since there's a MOnk mod out there I finally picked this up and started playing through it.

Wow there are a ton of ways out of Fort Joy.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    So since there's a MOnk mod out there I finally picked this up and started playing through it.

There are a ton of ways to almost everything. Only the exceptionally crucial story encounters generally have one path.

It's impressive.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just got back to the game. . .and my god the bugs are ridiculous. However all of that pales in comparison to the Bound By Pain quest fight. I've just sad "screw it"and am completely skipping that garbage. I can not believe someone thought that this was good game design.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Adramalamadingdong down!
    Christ, even "weakened" that was a fight. Dude had 20K normal armor and near 30K magic armor. I don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd actually fought fair.

Course, I didn't. What I did was send my main character in first, trigger dialogue, and while Adramalashaymalan ranted at her for not bringing Lohse, Lohse, Ifan, and Beast pulled his minions and pulverized them easily. Then it was just Adramalamaline and his pocket nurse against my entire party.

And even then, it required spending a decent amount of Source on healing!
    I bopped the nurse in front and then just picked everything off as they went single file towards me and it was actually not that stressful of a fight. No Adrammalech until basically everything else was dead. Doing it initially was...really something else and I failed it hard. Apparently my quest fucked up really bad because there's a solid amount of extra stuff that can happen with Jahan and Malady but I didn't get either to show up.

butts
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

There are a ton of ways to almost everything. Only the exceptionally crucial story encounters generally have one path.

It's impressive.

Yep.

A little quest I ran into:

Chapter 2 spoiler
    A dwarf lady was sitting on trapdoor snoozing and generally unresponsive. I tried talking to get her to move- no dice. So I just moved her ass with teleport. She took that as hostile and attacked me (and died). Later I learned who her boss was and I totally could have asked her nicely to move by name dropping later.

That's fun to see in an RPG.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Finally started playing last night with a group of me and 3 friends.

Yea this is a very good multiplayer experience.

We are getting our butts kicked and that is quite fun. Playing with no save scumming, stuck with any decisions a party member makes. No particular min-maxing which should keep the game more challenging. We all took particular civil skills but half the time we forget who has what and just kinda roll with it so we aren't getting lucky charms procs out the wazoo or anything like that.

Good times.

• Options
    I submit the game is a better multiplayer experience than single player.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

You'd need a really dedicated multiplayer partner though, this is not a casual play game and the campaign is like... 80+ hours for a first run?

Brolo on
  • Options
    Do resources on the ground repop ever? Or is there, like, a finite number of sticks and mushrooms in the game.

• Options
    Do resources on the ground repop ever? Or is there, like, a finite number of sticks and mushrooms in the game.

Finite stuff.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options

Finite stuff.

That pushes my buttons in all the wrong ways.

• Options

Finite stuff.

There should be a cheevo for completely deforesting the game.

• Options

Finite stuff.

Repops would equate to infinite money. They have to force you into equipment choices somehow.

• Options

Finite stuff.

Repops would equate to infinite money. They have to force you into equipment choices somehow.

It's negated by having a long enough timer on repops. If someone really wants to wait another 2+ hours in real time to collect some more mushrooms for more gold, it probably won't affect the overall flow of the game

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

You'd need a really dedicated multiplayer partner though, this is not a casual play game and the campaign is like... 80+ hours for a first run?

Just like playing DnD or anything like that. Which isn't to say it's easy but certainly a thing a whole lot of people do. And this is actually a lot easier than getting a DnD group together since it's only ever 4 people and it's done online always.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Multiplayer has logistical hurdles, for sure, but I found the game even more enjoyable as a multiplayer experience.

EDIT:
    And this is actually a lot easier than getting a DnD group together since it's only ever 4 people and it's done online always.

It does actually do local split screen and have controller support for couch co-op. Which is pretty amazing in this genre.

Cog on
  • Options

Just like playing DnD or anything like that. Which isn't to say it's easy but certainly a thing a whole lot of people do. And this is actually a lot easier than getting a DnD group together since it's only ever 4 people and it's done online always.

True, it's weird that even my quite nerdy, very RPG gaming focused friends never really had that much interest or free time for something like D&D. I had to pretty much drop my single player run of this because of too many IRL time commitments.

• Options

True, it's weird that even my quite nerdy, very RPG gaming focused friends never really had that much interest or free time for something like D&D. I had to pretty much drop my single player run of this because of too many IRL time commitments.

https://roll20.net/ is a thing for people like your friends, if time and convenience is a concern..

• Options

My buddies are playing this in lieu of DnD. We've wanted to play for many years now but scheduling it just doesn't work. Play this an evening or two a week is much easier to set-up.

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    I just finished this game up and while I really enjoyed it, I think I recommend it be played on the low difficulty explorer setting. Otherwise, every battle will go like this:

See enemies and get into fight.
    Your formation is wrong and your team is too bunched together.
    You try to get it together, but more baddies will spawn in.
    Reload quicksave in frustration.
    Now use your knowledge of the fight to cheese the system and get your whole team in place before triggering the fight.

Rinse and repeat for most fights.

I played 99% of the game on classic and honestly wish I hadn't.

• Options
    I don't think I cheesed a single fight in my run. I think my party setup was actually somewhat decent, I just completely ignored magic damage barring a few specific instances (the two bridge trolls, and one was just minions with zero magic armor so I just charmed them) and focused entirely on physical damage. Two handed fighter, what was initially sword and board tank but ended up just being a caster, a ranger, and a scoundrel.

High physical armor enemies were sort of annoying but it's easy enough to just wipe it out anyways - and most have a shield and do zero damage. Scoundrels have high damage output and after that, fighter can either atrophy (which does massive damage at range) or knock down and ranger can also use knockdown arrows too if there are certain targets to take out of a fight. Because of the two different types of armor, damage always felt wasted when I played with my friend since one of his characters was a mage. Any damage not directly to physical armor meant our three physical dealers didn't benefit and he couldn't stun until magic armor was stripped - or could spend a turn with ranger using magic arrows instead.

butts
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've reached a point where I'm 1-2 levels under everything with no better gear to buy, no lower level content to level off of, and everything has so much HP it takes me like 2 full party turns to kill a dude. I'm not sure what to do.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    So I've beaten the raid and have reached max level so far its been alot better than destiny 1.

sadly bungie still cant seem to create an interesting end game. I realize that's what their content drops are for, but given the disparity in quality between destiny's taken king and say house of wolves I'm cautious.

Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes. I really hope they add in an arena like prison of elders with rotating bosses and difficulty modifiers. I understand that the raid is supposed to be end game, but the raid doesn't test combat skills it tests organizational skills. I feel that high level combat encounters are really needed

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I've reached a point where I'm 1-2 levels under everything with no better gear to buy, no lower level content to level off of, and everything has so much HP it takes me like 2 full party turns to kill a dude. I'm not sure what to do.

Where abouts are you?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So I've beaten the raid and have reached max level so far its been alot better than destiny 1.

sadly bungie still cant seem to create an interesting end game. I realize that's what their content drops are for, but given the disparity in quality between destiny's taken king and say house of wolves I'm cautious.

Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes. I really hope they add in an arena like prison of elders with rotating bosses and difficulty modifiers. I understand that the raid is supposed to be end game, but the raid doesn't test combat skills it tests organizational skills. I feel that high level combat encounters are really needed

Destvinity 2 : Curse of Osiriginal Sinrus

Brolo on
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Where abouts are you?

Yeah, let us know where you are. The game almost requires you to hoover up the available experience, so the most likely issue is you've maybe overlooked some area. I guess if you left...
    Fort Joy or the Nameless Isle

without turning in any sidequests you might irrevocably miss out on a bunch of XP. I know there were a bunch of quests in Act II I finished and carried around for ages without talking to somebody and closing it out. How's your sidequest list looking at the moment? That might be a source of a level or two?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I struggled in reapers coast for a while.

There's a jump in the early teens where everything seems too powerful and you can't find anything to do.

Ensuring your equipment is up to scratch really helps.

Get a character specialising in thievery and another in bartering and steal everyone's gold and sell stuff for higher prices.

Every time you level vendors have new stuff.

• Options
    It doesn't help that the quest journal is a hot mess.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I stole everything that wasn't nailed down (beyond my STR score) in Divinity 1. The new (and reasonable) mechanics limiting the amount you can steal and effectively marking the items as 'hot,' make stealing less lucrative than in D:OS1. It was much easier to just have my high Wits explorer character, who opens every box, sack and display case and probes every corpse, have max Lucky Charm. That extra loot value probably amounted to most of what I would have gotten from stealing with a lot less trouble.

I super agree about hitting up vendors with every new level. (It doesn't help TheStig, though.) It's weird once you get to Acts 3 and 4 how little gear I get from drops. Even a one level gap in an item is a pretty big difference. So my level 20 folks almost never have use for the level 18 items I find clearing a certain area. They are mostly vendor fodder to afford on-level gear from vendors.

Also someone a while back gave the tip to raise attitude with a few key vendors. That is damn good tip. Often you can give them 2500 gold worth of stuff, hit 100 attitude and immediately make it back either getting more for your sold items or on a discount on some epic boots you buy from them. Then everything sold or bought from that vendor afterwards is delicious profit.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Orf, that Radeka fight was kind of irritating.

• Options
    I think that one bartering is six percent discount on purchased items/markup on items sold and one hundred attitude is a twenty percent discount. If you're solo it's very easy to make a strength character your mule and let them handle all transactions. The only catch is you want your main to be lucky charm/persuade for ease of use, both in NPC dialogue and looting objects so if your main is strength based, it isn't the easiest option.

I know by a certain time on Reaper's Coast I could just send off a couple of items until I maxed attitude and then did every transaction with no less than +44% on all sold items/-44% on all bought items and gold was not an issue at all. Even trying to upgrade every level or town visit wasn't enough to run me out of gold and I ended up with over 100k when I ended the game.

butts