Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    What's overall better, All Skilled Up or Bigger & Better?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I stole everything that wasn't nailed down (beyond my STR score) in Divinity 1. The new (and reasonable) mechanics limiting the amount you can steal and effectively marking the items as 'hot,' make stealing less lucrative than in D:OS1. It was much easier to just have my high Wits explorer character, who opens every box, sack and display case and probes every corpse, have max Lucky Charm. That extra loot value probably amounted to most of what I would have gotten from stealing with a lot less trouble.

I super agree about hitting up vendors with every new level. (It doesn't help TheStig, though.) It's weird once you get to Acts 3 and 4 how little gear I get from drops. Even a one level gap in an item is a pretty big difference. So my level 20 folks almost never have use for the level 18 items I find clearing a certain area. They are mostly vendor fodder to afford on-level gear from vendors.

Also someone a while back gave the tip to raise attitude with a few key vendors. That is damn good tip. Often you can give them 2500 gold worth of stuff, hit 100 attitude and immediately make it back either getting more for your sold items or on a discount on some epic boots you buy from them. Then everything sold or bought from that vendor afterwards is delicious profit.

How fast would it break the game if you just stole everything and killed anyone who tried to stop you?

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Break as in put it in a state beyond finishing? I would be surprised if you actually could. NPCs that aren't allowed to have accidents are probably unable to be killed or massively stronger than you (even though I'm sure hard dedication to cheese could actually end up winning that fight).

Although, given that you can teleport lava around and use it to kill enemies, maybe not. It's even possible to teleport one boss into another (or was, it looks like the type of thing that would have been patched to not work) and let them fight to the death so who knows this game is basically just run a really good DM that stopped giving a shit ten sessions ago.

butts
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I believe in some cases, plot critical NPCs just come back as ghosts?

• Options
    Well... shit I really wanna find out now.

New play through, scorched earth. All finished quests will be purely accidental. Everyone I can reasonably take will die. Preferably with empty pockets.

• Options
    Hopefully slaughtering every possible NPC makes up for the potential experience loss, it could get a little wily if not.

butts
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah I had to go back into driftwood and finish up some quests/murder some people I missed to catch up in XP. I just hate how avoiding combat at all puts be behind on levels, making unavoidable fights near impossible.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Telekinesis chest don't care.

butts
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I just got to the start of Chapter 4. Boy, I didn't like anything about any of that boat stuff.
    First of all Malady is just awful. Assaults you the first time you see her and drinks your blood, acts all weird and evil, and casting bless on her burns her skin. Obviously she's no good, so I attack her. Get her down to 0 health and nothing. That's it. She can't die.

Well great. Reload and go onto the ship and surprise! All the people you didn't bring with you have shown up! They all talk about the quests they are going on and their plans and how cool that they are going to be doing their own thing in parallel with me for the rest of the ga... oh they all died offscreen when Dallis attacked even though we took out all the enemies and Dallis had to turn into a dragon and run away with her chicken-morphed magic dude.

Then Malady fucking drinks my blood again and I still can't bash her head in like my character promised she would do if Malady ever touched her again. Why is everyone in this game an asshole?

If I don't get to kill her and Dallis and Alexander (for reals this time) by the end of the game I will be very annoyed.

Aistan on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    just picked up Original Sin Enhanced Edition since it's super cheap right now. Anybody have any essentials mods or anything? I notice it has steam workshop support.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Bumping this because there was a decent sized patch this morning. Two huge things is that you can stop new items and skills from automatically going to the hot bar and Lucky Charm is now party wide. That's actually amazing; the stat isn't as busted as it was initially but it's still a very, very good stat. Another big one I caught is a certain bugged NPC should no longer bug out which is good news for me, I ought to be starting up a second playthrough soon. Also supposedly fixed the save-crash bug that affected my initial playthrough with a friend (that I can hopefully return to soon, finally) and in some way I think my solo playthrough was impacted but that playthrough was a little unique so I dunno.
    Changes and improvements
    Added a toggle in the options menu to automatically add certain groups of items or skills from the hotbar
    Lucky Charm is now a party-wide talent. Players no longer need to select the character with the talent to open containers
    Added exact armor values to controller mode UI when hovering over enemies
    Arena lobby settings are now saved while in the same play session
    Fixed issues with reassigning middle mouse button and right mouse button
    Lockpicks and trap disarm kits are now shared automatically via Magic Pockets
    Improved selecting doors when using a controller
    Added the ability to drop or move items to a specific location in the world when using a controller. The “hold in hand” option now has a context menu
    Added friendly fire damage from traps to combat log
    Added Summoning information from NPCs to combat log
    Updated save/load interface when using a controller
    Added extra dialog animations to Trolls
    Revealed items are now highlighted when pressing ALT, after the player has revealed them
    Improved the flow of the companion dialog between Sebille and Stingtail
    Changing equipment or using items now breaks “Play Dead” status
    Updated several visual effects and sound effects to certain regions, story moments and skills
    Added player feedback when an enemy is immune to a certain type of attack
    Improved the journal update when picking up a purging wand in Braccus’ vault
    Improved the timing of certain quest rewards during dialog
    Splitscreen mode in Character Creation now allows players to edit their characters again after having pressed Start
    Fixed the issue where, under certain conditions, Tarquin wasn’t moving from the Lady Vengeance to the Stonegarden
    You can now create Armour of the Eternals with both types of Eternal artefact
    The “Medusa Head” skill now correctly overrides the “Bull Horns” skill
    Improved the behavior of Hannag during combat
    Updated subtitles for several endgame scenes
    Bug Fixes
    Fixed pillars for the Lunar Puzzle on the Nameless Isle
    Fixed crash in multiplayer lobby when host changes number of free slots
    Fixed an issue with the Eternal Arbiter. It should now correctly teleport the party back to the Arena
    Fixed issue with characters being reassigned when they are in the magic mirror
    Fixed several incorrect character portraits
    Fixed custom player characters disappearing in conjunction with certain mods that had a dependency on the Arena. This fix should work retroactively
    Fixed area-of-effect (AoE) skills taking benefit from high ground damage several times when targeting multiple opponents
    Fixed a rare crash related to overwriting savegames, causing subsequent saves to crash
    Fixed visual issue with long cloaks
    Fixed corruption issue when loading duplicated stats (e.g.: crashing in GM mode when using the “Greed - Increase Loot Variety” mod)
    Fixed issue where certain dialogs continued incorrectly upon entering combat
    Fixed charm causing “waiting for other player” issue if charmed character is in dialog during combat
    Fixed electrified blood blocking some AoE skills, like Encourage
    Fixed Fear status animation being stuck, even when the status had faded
    Fixed an issue where certain NPCs would become hostile after they involuntarily get hit with retribution damage
    Fixed Dazing Bolt - now hits click position instead of nearest target
    Fixed multiplayer issue where client player triggers dialogs for the host player even when they are not near each other
    Fixed item visuals not updating correctly when dropping an item and targeting enemies directly with a controller
    Fixed Andras’ behavior when attacked outside of combat
    Fixed narrator dialog sometimes not triggering when the player unlocks his first source point
    Fixed crafting progress bar sometimes getting stuck
    Fixed permanent burning status from equipping Tyrant set
    Fixed certain effects remaining in the world incorrectly after NPCs use Source skills
    Fixed certain effects not playing when the caster is not on the screen
    Fixed decal effects not rendering on animated objects like drawbridges
    Fixed item statuses ticking in real time in arena mode
    Fixed several dialogs that did not recognize Fane when shapeshifted
    Fixed an issue where two different parties would both get a quest update
    Fixed several locations that had “can’t reach” issues when trying to pick up items
    Fixed an issue with reconnecting a controller while in Character Creation in splitscreen mode
    Fixed several issues with committing crimes in the chapel at Fort Joy and near Paladin Cork
    Fixed an issue where music would not restart after saving and loading in specific locations
    Fixed an issue that would cause the player to lose AP when equipping items he already has equipped
    Fixed “Set Action” context menu when using it on the skill bar of a summon
    Fixed Undead players getting Bleeding status in certain cases after saving and loading
    Fixed an issue allowing players to increase stats of player characters by repeatedly joining and disconnecting in the Character Creation screen in splitscreen mode
    Fixed the magic mirror from removing certain statuses (like Blood Rose Elixir)
    Stolen items that the player has moved to Lady Vengeance, now correctly keep their “Stolen” label
    Fixed an issue with Resist Death status after loading a savegame
    Fixed skipping a turn when using a controller and pressing B while pressing a trigger button
    Fixed being permanently shapeshifted when equipping an item that silences you
    Fixed being able to change the difficulty of the game higher than Classic when starting out in Explorer or Classic mode
    Fixed conflicting status info when standing in a fire cloud above water
    Fixed an issue with crime flags not being cleared correctly, causing some NPCs to become hostile to the player
    Fixed barter prices for containers that contain gold to include the full value of contents.
    Fixed stuck AI decision-making when attempting to use a ladder at the end of a movement turn with 0 AP
    Fixed inconsistencies between status tooltip damage and combat log damage
    Fixed performance issue in the third phase of the Arena of the One combat
    Fixed being able to Play Dead while in the magic mirror
    Fixed incorrect companion journal logs after the final combat
    Fixed an issue regarding Lohse’s closing dialog at the end of the game not triggering correctly
    Fixed several issues related to ALT-tabbing out of the game when in dedicated fullscreen mode
    Fixed several issues with attacking Barin directly during the Heroic Rescue quest
    Fixed Five-Star Diner talent to correctly double the effects of potions
    Fixed a possession issue on the last party member that is alive during the Bound By Pain combat. This should no longer block the player
    Fixed Dallis scene not triggering correctly during the Arena of the One combat
    Fixed inconsistencies in Fane’s end scene
    Fixed not being able to give a savegame the same name in GM and Story modes, even though they are in separate folders
    Fixed a rare crash related to quickloading
    Disabled being able to load into a new region while a character is inside the magic mirror, since this was causing issues
    Fixed automatic unlearning of skills upon entering and exiting the magic mirror, when using a controller
    Fixed issue with Armor levels not being correct after loading on the client player(s)
    Fixed not being able to raise the attitude of traders under certain conditions
    Fixed a crash related to using Blood Sucker while still performing a basic attack
    UI Fixes
    Added an indication that players are ready when picking characters in Arena mode
    Added more player feedback when failing a persuasion
    Fixed incorrect scrolling position of journal
    Fixed overlapping text in journal
    Fixed several overlap issues when using splitscreen
    Fixed shapeshifter mask not correctly updating player portrait in certain parts of the UI, when using a controller
    Fixed several issues with cut-off text in French, German and Russian
    Fixed negative movement modifiers from armor or shields showing as positive
    Fixed being able to toggle the map legend when using a controller
    Fixed not being able to send stacks of items to the Lady Vengeance via context menu
    Fixed several issues when escaping Fort Joy via the pipe to the swamp during combat
    Fixed not being able to dismiss the Red Prince as companion while in Arx
    Fixed Rune screen not updating correctly when switching characters in controller mode
    GM Mode
    Added an option via the in-game menu to re-roll the party while already in a campaign
    Players can now join the session during party re-roll
    Added a Reputation Management screen to set NPC attitudes towards the players
    Added a keyboard shortcut (Caps Lock) to make movable objects parallel to the surface, tilting them
    Added a warning message when disabling mods during a GM session
    Fixed Magical Armor and Physical armor values after possessing a creature
    Fixed Make War option not working in GM mode
    Fixed a crash related to the GM character not being assigned to a player
    Fixed GM being able to load a level when players have not finished preparing their characters
    Fixed players being blocked on the Character Creation screen when reconnecting
    Fixed incorrect alignment of NPCs if GM possesses them during combat, then saves and loads
    Fixed Context menu when right-clicking on stickies in the Vignette window
    Fixed visual of characters being dragged by the GM
    Fixed an issue that would, when an object was being moved, automatically make it assume a position parallel to the ground, resulting in it being tilted.
    Fixed an interface issue if a character has no memorized skills
    Fixed white icons in the Encounter panel
    Fixed not being able to select items from the Encounter panel under certain conditions
    Fixed skill cooldowns during pause
    Fixed a crash related to selecting an origin character with certain mods activated
    Fixed a crash when holding right-shift and dragging a character
    Fixed clients not being able to download images larger than 1Mb
    Disabled Trade Context menu for dead NPCs
    Disabled NPCs incorrectly receiving XP when a GM possesses them
    I didn't copy any of the modding things but there were a handful of mod bug fixes.

Any fix tagged with spoiler is going down below -
    SPOILER: Destroying Arx by releasing Deathfog will now make the player fail the Path of Blood
    SPOILER: Delorus can no longer be resurrected if he dies while following the party
    SPOILER: Fixed Malady and Gareth being stuck in combat at the lower deck of the Lady Vengeance in the Hall of Echoes
    SPOILER: Fixed a rare issue that stopped players from finishing Act 1 when talking to Malady after defeating Alexandar
    SPOILER: Fixed remaining support issues regarding Tarquin at the Stonegarden and Tarquin not returning to Lady Vengeance
    SPOILER: Fixed an issue with Malady being stuck in the Arena of the One combat
    SPOILER: Fixed a progression issue with Malady's Nameless Isle location reveal
    SPOILER: Fixed Infernal Lizards in the Consulate not dying even when no more fire surfaces are near
    SPOILER: Fixed Empyreo’s dialog to acknowledge that you have met Septa in Fort Joy
    SPOILER: Fixed a blocking issue at the entrance to the Academy if one or several party members are dead on arrival
    SPOILER: Fixed looping effects after Lohse starts playing her song and the player interrupts it
    SPOILER: Fixed an issue where under certain conditions players were still getting cursed by the God King
    SPOILER: Fixed the quest flow in case the player frees Gwydian without interacting with him first
    SPOILER: Fixed not being able to talk to Alexandar’s ghost
    SPOILER: Fixed Magister Varland’s dialog after completing the Strange Cargo quest
    SPOILER: Fixed too many puppets spawning in the Death Room when entering with multiple player characters
    SPOILER: Fixed not being able to talk to Bant and Cade after killing Mordus
    SPOILER: Fixed visual of the player’s Inner Hero in the Hall of Echoes
    SPOILER: Fixed Saheila possibly having an empty dialog after rescuing her from Roost
    SPOILER: Fixed not being able to talk to Tovah and Saheila under certain conditions
    SPOILER: Fixed not being able to re-enter Kemm’s vault
    SPOILER: Fixed Lohse’s lute getting destroyed even when Adramahlihk is dead
    SPOILER: Fixed an issue with the war owl not appearing if Ryker was the only Sourcerer left and the player refuses his quest

butts
  • Options
    That Lucky Charm change is a blessing.

• Options
    Yeah it helps out a surprising amount as you level it up despite the nerfs. I forget the changes exactly it previously went through, it's worse early by a good amount and a little worse off later? But in parties it should be substantially better. I'd be tempted to make one character a charm mule all game and just say screw persuasion options and pick those up later.

In parties lucky charm is incredibly difficult to use previously, I could never get my friend to remember to not loot things since I get better things. Speeds up the entire process by making everything a potential gold mine.

butts
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh nice, I just picked this up this past weekend and have been loving it so far. That Lucky Charm thing sounds great. I ended up making my own character, couldn't decide between the other Origin stories.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    2 questions, with the new lucky charm is it total luck charm applied to all member? Or highest luck charm applied to all members?

Second, Say I have a 4 player game going. If 1 person leaves there is no way to drop that character correct? Is there any downside to leaving them dead and never reviving them as an alternative?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    2 questions, with the new lucky charm is it total luck charm applied to all member? Or highest luck charm applied to all members?

Second, Say I have a 4 player game going. If 1 person leaves there is no way to drop that character correct? Is there any downside to leaving them dead and never reviving them as an alternative?

If they are playing one of the premades you should be able to send em to the boat. If they're a custom char I dont think so. You could leave em dead but they might miss out on tags, will definitely miss on so, and depending on how far you get before they play again you might have to backtrack quite a bit to revive them.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

If they are playing one of the premades you should be able to send em to the boat. If they're a custom char I dont think so. You could leave em dead but they might miss out on tags, will definitely miss on so, and depending on how far you get before they play again you might have to backtrack quite a bit to revive them.

Yea I mean like permanently gone so them missing stuff doesn't matter.

But it sounds like leaving them dead all game shouldn't break anything at least?

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I got Original Sin II as a christmas gift, so I finally can start playing it.

What difficulty should I pick for first playthrough if Im experienced RPG player that finished the first game, Classic or Tactician?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I got Original Sin II as a christmas gift, so I finally can start playing it.

What difficulty should I pick for first playthrough if Im experienced RPG player that finished the first game, Classic or Tactician?

If you like repeating combat to see all your tactical options and perfecting your strategy, then tactician (there is a lot of combat, it is a long game)

if you don't have as much time, I'd go with classic

also important things to note:

level scaling is much heavier in this than in D:OS 1, fighting higher-level enemies is rouuuuuuuugh, try to find enemies close to your level for combat
    AP has been changed so you can't make AP stack builds
    I believe using mods of any sort disable achievements, so if you're into those you may have to live with some wonky UI things. Patches fixed some of these, but there are likely still a bunch of inventory management issues

• Options
    From what I hear, having melee / tank characters is less important here than in a first game, and its better to have a lot of squishy high dmg characters?

Is party consisting of Battlemage Red Prince, Wizard Lohse, Archer Ifan and Rogue Sebille viable, or would it be better to swap Sebille with Beast?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    From what I hear, having melee / tank characters is less important here than in a first game, and its better to have a lot of squishy high dmg characters?

Is party consisting of Battlemage Red Prince, Wizard Lohse, Archer Ifan and Rogue Sebille viable, or would it be better to swap Sebille with Beast?

I've been playing on Classic since picking this up a week or two ago and at least on classic, having melee / tank characters has still been useful but they work differently. I've used a fighter, polymorph, rogue, enchanter setup with the polymorph also grabbing warfare and using two handed weapons, the rogue grabbing polymorph skills as well and a bit of warfare, and the enchanter running summoning in addition to her starting magic schools.

While the polymorph is in heavy armor due to strength, he does a lot of damage, has a lot of crowd control, and has some good mobility between warfare's phoenix dive and battering ram plus shapeshifting's flight.

Likewise the fighter is the tankiest group member and is extremely useful. Shields provide a lot of armor of both types and that's critical to avoid being CCed. Fighter also starts with Geomancy and it's turned out to be just as useful as the Warfare skills. Geomancy has spells that regenerate physical armor on party members so it complements Hydrosophistry's magic armor restoration, can produce oil which slows without needing to deplete magic armor on a victim first, and of course does magic damage to work with the enchanter to deal with enemies more vulnerable to that. For physical damage, he's not going to be a consistent as the rogue or polymorph but shield throw is an extremely strong ranged physical attack on short cooldown that often strips away enough armor to let a battering ram or battle stomp CC afterwards. Essentially a Fighter isn't there to taunt enemies and soak hits for days anymore, they're there to remain standing if you get blitzed in the first round and need to restore armor to your squishier members so they don't get chain CCed.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Pick the characters you like first. Any of them can play any spec equally well. You can also respec everyone as often as you like once you clear the opening act.

Tank [stats] are still very useful, once your armour is broken you will get hit by a lot of debilitating status effects. Don't neglect heals and armour restore effects, especially on tactician. But otherwise yes, being able to put out a large burst of physical or magical damage quickly is really important, the sooner you break through enemy defences the sooner you can CC them out of the fight.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

Also, I'm not sure I'd stick Sebille and the Red Prince in the same party. Not without making sure Sebille is far away from some npcs the Red Prince wants to talk to first.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I didn't have a problem between those two aside from the very beginning.

butts
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I agree that there are a lot of options for party composition (I ran Beast as a Rogue, Lohse as a Summoner/Necromancer, Red Prince as a sword and board* fighter and Skeletor as an super effective archer) and also that once you clear the first act you have a ton of flexibility to respec and experiment.

The party you list looks fine, with the one warning that having three characters focused on physical damage means your "wizard" could be hamstrung if you plan on them being a crowd controller or damage dealer. Since many, many crowd control effects only proc once you've worn down either the physical or magical armor, a lot of powerful spells won't trigger on first use if you haven't been wearing down magical armor with other characters. Some spells look for physical armor (a lot of Geomancer I think?) and summons, armor restoration/healing and repositioning your party are always good.

Repositioning yourselves and others is really important. Lots of skill paths have a cheap spell that lets you move yourself or others, including teleport in Aero, and few dash options in Battle (might have that name wrong), and a terrific self-teleport in Marksman.

*Shields are crazy good. They give you huge amounts of physical armor and often plenty of magic armor too. And you get a useful free skill to restore armor too (and sometimes a terrific close quarters attack skill.) I ran shields on my soldier and my Summoner who successfully resisted the allure of a second wand for DPS. I did dual-daggers for the whole game with my Rogue, but honestly it would have been easier to do one dagger and a shield.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Picked up Original Sin 2 during the Winter Sale.

Is it just me, or does this game have a fairly steep learning curve?

I was getting wrecked at normal difficulty so I bumped it down to explorer and fights are still tedious affairs.

My party is me (custom human) as a Wizard, Fane as Cleric, Sebille as Rogue, and Lohse as Enchanter.

Every fight seems to go about like this:

1. Wizard sets everything on fire.
    2. Fane and Sebille can't attack without also catching on fire.
    3. Try to use poison bomb to heal Fane, but apparently poison is highly flammible? More fire.
    4. Use rain to put out fire. Everything is steam.
    5. Use Lohse's staff to attack enemy. Staff electrifies steam. Entire party is stunned.
    6. Lose several turns attempting to reposition party. Get stabbed in the back constantly.
    7. Finally win by the skin of my teeth using default attacks because game is set on super easy, but feel bad about my victory because "what the fuck was that? You suck."

RT800 on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's got a steep learning curve alright.

Your party seems rigged for magical damage. You might give a crew oriented around physical damage a go. It's much easier to use crowd control effects with skills from scoundrel, warfare, and huntsman without the sort of everyone's burning and/or shocked mayhem you are describing. (Also maybe summons. Summons are great in D:OS2.) I'm sure a magical path is possible, too. Just a lot harder.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Also be aware that environmental effects (i.e. putting the ground on fire) is nice but sometimes suboptimal save for zoning purposes (AI will generally try not to walk through it on lower difficulties). Fire and whatnot does less damage than in the first game, and if enemies have magical armour (the blue bar) they are invulnerable to the associated cc effects.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Picked up Original Sin 2 during the Winter Sale.

Is it just me, or does this game have a fairly steep learning curve?

I was getting wrecked at normal difficulty so I bumped it down to explorer and fights are still tedious affairs.

My party is me (custom human) as a Wizard, Fane as Cleric, Sebille as Rogue, and Lohse as Enchanter.

Every fight seems to go about like this:

1. Wizard sets everything on fire.
    2. Fane and Sebille can't attack without also catching on fire.
    3. Try to use poison bomb to heal Fane, but apparently poison is highly flammible? More fire.
    4. Use rain to put out fire. Everything is steam.
    5. Use Lohse's staff to attack enemy. Staff electrifies steam. Entire party is stunned.
    6. Lose several turns attempting to reposition party. Get stabbed in the back constantly.
    7. Finally win by the skin of my teeth using default attacks because game is set on super easy, but feel bad about my victory because "what the fuck was that? You suck."

If you can help it, it's often better to have your magic damage dealers and your physical damage dealers attack different targets partially to avoid having your physical damage dealers catch on fire but most because it's more efficient to deplete just one kind of defense on an enemy than both and many enemies are more vulnerable to one or the other. You won't always be able to help it though. In those cases, it'll be important to restore the magic armor of people in the fire. Hydrosophistry has some level 1 spells good for that and you'll want to pick those up ASAP from a vendor if you didn't start with them. You'll also want to grab the Geomancy spells that restore physical armor. The armor meters are what prevent you from getting hit with status effects and keeping them up is key to avoid being chain CC'd.

As you fill out gear slots with jewelry and real armor, being in fire is less of a concern due to the magic armor they provide.

Your cleric would benefit from picking up Warfare. It adds more CC and since Necromancy spells deal physical damage, Warfare will boost those. For that matter, Sebille also would benefit from Warfare.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I just wrapped this up last night and man that last major chapter makes it hard to love the game. There've been more than a few "how the hell am I supposed to figure that out without a guide" moments in the game but they really ramp up in the last zone. A bunch of quests won't fire or give full rewards without very specific steps. A lot of events and dialogues don't seem to take into account things you've already done. And there's a big difficulty spike with many enemies and fights starting to break the rules the game previously established. I ended up turning the difficulty down to Explorer for the last fight after spending two hours failing because I just wanted the game off my list at that point.

Larian doesn't seem to have a good record doing final acts without making them slogs from what I'm reading with people complaining about them going back to Divine Divinity. I really hope they do another pass at some point as it really sucked a lot of my enjoyment for the game away. At the very least, there needs to be a stable set of end game gear available for purchase given how big a difference it makes instead of needing to wait for vendor refreshes to kit out the whole party.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    I just wrapped this up last night and man that last major chapter makes it hard to love the game. There've been more than a few "how the hell am I supposed to figure that out without a guide" moments in the game but they really ramp up in the last zone. A bunch of quests won't fire or give full rewards without very specific steps. A lot of events and dialogues don't seem to take into account things you've already done. And there's a big difficulty spike with many enemies and fights starting to break the rules the game previously established. I ended up turning the difficulty down to Explorer for the last fight after spending two hours failing because I just wanted the game off my list at that point.

Basically my exact same experience. Went from being love with the game to just wanting it to be over all in the final chapter.

• Options
    I finished act I for the first time on Classic difficulty with party:

Geo / Pyro Red Prince
    Geo / Pyro Lohse
    Ranger Ifan
    Knight Beast

I don't have much problems during fights so far, but I have this irritating voice in my head that tells me "optimize everything, respecs are here for a reason". So far, my MVP for act I was glass cannon Ifan, whose special crossbow with piercing damage did at least 50 % of all team damage in this stage of the game.

Would it be better to respec my entire team, so it focuses od dealing physical damage, and only uses spells for buffs and summons? If yes, how would you advise me to repsec them?

• Options

Geo / Pyro Red Prince
    Geo / Pyro Lohse
    Ranger Ifan
    Knight Beast

I don't have much problems during fights so far, but I have this irritating voice in my head that tells me "optimize everything, respecs are here for a reason". So far, my MVP for act I was glass cannon Ifan, whose special crossbow with piercing damage did at least 50 % of all team damage in this stage of the game.

Would it be better to respec my entire team, so it focuses od dealing physical damage, and only uses spells for buffs and summons? If yes, how would you advise me to repsec them?

Yes.

The game rewards focusing your party on physical or magic. Marksman Ifan was my DPS king as well. Backing him up was scoundrel Beast, sword and board warrior Red Prince and Lohse as a Summoner/Necro/General healer/re-armorer/repositioner. Obviously that's just one route you could go.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    The useful magic abilities don't scale off of intelligence so you can make a party of dumb dumbs and still be highly effective.

butts
  • Options

Geo / Pyro Red Prince
    Geo / Pyro Lohse
    Ranger Ifan
    Knight Beast

Not having a hydrosophist to restore magic armor is going to hurt pretty quickly.

Geomancy is great for restoring physical armor but you also want the other.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My strongest-feeling party so far has been

Lohse fighter (war/geo)
    Beast elementalist (hydro/aero)
    Sebille ranger
    Ifan Summoner (probably add some pyro eventually to him)

Ranger provides the bulk of the damage, fighter provides decent phys damage, CC, and tons of beef, Summoner gives very flexible magic or phys damage and passive buffs through leadership, and elementalist gives heals, debuffs, and is good at cleaning up when like everything has lit on fire.

Sebille's flesh sacrifice is great for ranger (free blood arrowheads to start every fight), Lohse's crit bonus and madness spell is good for being right in the fight, Summoner buffs Ifans wolf, and aero buffs Beast's storm thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Focusing your party on either magical or physical damage is very potent: but I would advise not going "whole hog". Encounters will still exist where you fight enemies with only one of the armor types (magic/physicial) or extremely weak armor of a given type. Having just a bit of flexibility to break the armor you are not focusing on and a few critical CC abilities can go a long way.

For instance if you are focusing on magic damage you could consider an "Elemental Ranger" as a party member. They're still very good at physical damage with their bow but with some magical enhancement spells (Venom Weapon, Elemental Arrowheads, the Elemental Ranger talent) they can pump out strong magical damage with their auto-attacks ( as well a using specialty arrows ). If you meet something with no physical armor you can punish it with Knockdown Arrows from your ranger. Alternatively punch through weak physical armor with the ranger, switch to magic damage mode and then control that enemy with Geomancy spells that target physical armor such as Earthquake.

The elemental ranger's + mage team weakpoints have been mostly that the ranger is made of utter paper (all of the mages have shields so the enemies tend to focus on the far squishier ranger) and Ranger skills do huge damage but offer NO hard physical armor control options other than consumable Knockdown Arrows. It's served me relatively well on tactician even if the ranger dies... a lot. The battles are won though!

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    The Silent One quest.

Let me get this straight.
    We have a possessed girl. She is loved by her pet cat so much, that it accompanies her even after death. And the only solution to this quest is to teleport this girl to our ship, leaving this poor undead cat behind in a vault, alone, and there is no actually any way to help the girl because this quest is simply infinished?

LARIAN WHAT THE HELL

Asthariel on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    It's not the only solution. What you've done is effectively kidnapped someone and you expect to be rewarded.

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    It's not the only solution. What you've done is effectively kidnapped someone and you expect to be rewarded.

Okay, so what can I do in this quest? I didn't find any more information on the internet about other possible endings to this, unless there is something to do later (Im at the end of act II).