Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    tyrannus wrote: »
    It's not the only solution. What you've done is effectively kidnapped someone and you expect to be rewarded.

Far as I could tell the options were "leave her to rot in a demon-corrupted island forever", "murder her", and "take her away to see if you can find any cure. Also you can't bring her cat for absolutely no reason".

Except "take her away" is also "leave her to rot", just on a boat, because nobody coded any attempt to find a cure.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    too bad you can't make pals with the cat

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    too bad you can't make pals with the cat

Yup. You're an ascendant godling with power over life and death, but apparently trying to help a single cat is way too difficult.

Unfinished quests are the worst thing in general. Because not only are they unsatisfying, you feel like the game is forcing you to be a dick. No quest at all is better than unfinished quest.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I could be wrong here (as I've only made it about half-way into act 2 of the game), but I wonder if tyrannus is trying to coyly suggest that the Pet Pal talent could move the quest in a different manner.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I had Pet Pal. I talked with the cat. it only helps in this way that you can persuade it to let us talk with the girl. After Im done, cat just repeats the same line of dialogue again and again.

• Options
    How about the ghost dude? You let him know?

• Options

Ghost dude also doesn't react in any way, even though I just did what he asked for.

Every source on the internet where I could read about this quest tells me that it's unfinished, and there is no way to help neither the girl or her cat.

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »

Ghost dude also doesn't react in any way, even though I just did what he asked for.

Every source on the internet where I could read about this quest tells me that it's unfinished, and there is no way to help neither the girl or her cat.

I had him acknowledge she was gone but I had to talk to him for a few times.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Okay, something changed: when I came back to the vault, the cat wasn't here anymore, and ghost finally acknowledged that she is not here anymore. My headcanon is going to be that this brave feline will march through the deathfog to the Lady Vengeance, because alternative is too cruel. Still, Im not sure if there is anything that can be done for girl later.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Soo... how the hell are you supposed to level up to fight all the bullshit in act 2?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    If enemies are at a higher level than you to the point where it's a significant difference it's not a huge deal and is still totally doable. Otherwise it's go exploring until you find a place that's at parity. I think the intended path of progression is to go to the right after hitting up town and make it into the cemetery. After that I forget, I want to say run around a bunch and pick up experience before hitting up the coastal cave.

If you're losing the first fight inside that cave it's fully intended for your party to lose but, given the amount of freedom you have, it's not a scripted loss fight.

butts
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Soo... how the hell are you supposed to level up to fight all the bullshit in act 2?

https://divinityoriginalsin2.vidyawiki.com/Areas+By+Level

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    is there a breakdown of the damage scaling for skills?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Murder everything.

Or do all the quests before moving on to higher areas (cf. murder, above.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Murder everything.

Sorry to necropost a bit but I just started this game (Steam sale purchase) and am really struggling. Is killing every NPC, friendly or not, really how I am supposed to get enough XP and resources to move forward? I've hit a wall like 6 hours in at level 3 with only 300 gold, no resurrection scrolls left, and all the paths forward appear blocked by level 4 foes with way better equipment and skills than I have.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Murder everything.

Sorry to necropost a bit but I just started this game (Steam sale purchase) and am really struggling. Is killing every NPC, friendly or not, really how I am supposed to get enough XP and resources to move forward? I've hit a wall like 6 hours in at level 3 with only 300 gold, no resurrection scrolls left, and all the paths forward appear blocked by level 4 foes with way better equipment and skills than I have.

No, all murder is not the only option. But you do need to hoover up every level-appropriate quest and kill what you are willing to kill before you move on.

Did you look at that map? Have you already cleared the level 2 and 3 areas? The level 2 area in particular is easy to miss.

What's your party composition?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    There are a lot of quest lines where it is not very apparent how or where they begin. Some are mutually exclusive. There are some quest lines that you can complete... and then murder the various NPCs involved without any major repercussions. There are also some quest lines that you can take to near completion and reap some benefits - equipment or xp - and then halt, and complete a better mutually exclusive line.

How do you know which is which and where what when? Fumble around, trial and error, or look it up, basically.

Also, steal everything. And then run away.

Also also, chicken claw and telekinesis are OP as fuck.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, the game really rewards stealing. I usually play disgusting do-gooders in big CRPGs like this. But the first Divinity taught me to steal everything and I carried that forward to D:OS2. It is a little harder in 2, though. I don't remember being able to steal a painting and then sell it back to the owner. Also a lot of the vendors in the early areas had limited gold, I think?

Character effectiveness in combat is hugely tied to gear. So to whatever extent possible, you should be upgrading gear at every level up. That does get expensive, though. Cf. stealing, above.

The game is certainly possible without going total theft, though, same as not going all-murder.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    You can play the "good" story lines and steal everything that isn't nailed down or on fire. It's a harsh world, sometimes you gotta do a little bad to do a lot of good.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Yeah, the game really rewards stealing. I usually play disgusting do-gooders in big CRPGs like this. But the first Divinity taught me to steal everything and I carried that forward to D:OS2. It is a little harder in 2, though. I don't remember being able to steal a painting and then sell it back to the owner. Also a lot of the vendors in the early areas had limited gold, I think?

Character effectiveness in combat is hugely tied to gear. So to whatever extent possible, you should be upgrading gear at every level up. That does get expensive, though. Cf. stealing, above.

The game is certainly possible with going total theft, though, same as not going all-murder.

Crafting is also a way to keep on top of the equipment curve without breaking the bank. Pretty sure I didn't do a lot of theft in my OS2 run (the contraband checks by the guards when crime was up in an area was too much of a hassle) but I did a lot of crafting.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I thought crafting sucked in the second game.

butts
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Jookie wrote: »
    I thought crafting sucked in the second game.

I remember it taking longer to get going. You can get some recipes for strong gear in later chapters. But it's generally got more steps than in the first game and more about filling in gaps in gear instead of the preferred method of getting new gear in many cases. No more swiping a dinner knife and sharpening it into a dagger every level up like in OS1.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Crafting feels bad in the 2nd game because you only ever craft shit like "rusty knife on a stick", but the stats keep scaling up as you level. So eventually your rusty knife on a stick rivals the flaming raging poisoning sword of doom. Your rusty knife on a stick strikes fear in the hearts of gods.

• Options

Murder everything.

No, all murder is not the only option. But you do need to hoover up every level-appropriate quest and kill what you are willing to kill before you move on.

Did you look at that map? Have you already cleared the level 2 and 3 areas? The level 2 area in particular is easy to miss.

What's your party composition?

I need to look at that map that was linked to know what the "level 2 area" is exactly but I killed the turtles, the crocodiles, the frogs, barely got through the torturing crew in the prison level on the other end of the slug tunnel. I also accidentally went hostile with the elf lady in the cave and had to kill her.

I have a two-hand fighter, a one-hand fighter, a battle mage, and a rogue. I am playing one level up from the easiest difficulty.

I've exhausted my resources pretty badly and feel like I either need to start over or am missing a huge source of income and items somewhere.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I killed the turtles, the crocodiles, the frogs... I killed them all! They're all dead, and not just the men. I killed the women and children too.

Even the younglings...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me but it never seems to be worth giving up a shield for a 2h weapon.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but it never seems to be worth giving up a shield for a 2h weapon.

It gets worse when you find a shield with a slot. It's either better to dual wield and take parry master/other stuff or just have a shield.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options

Depends on the build as with many things in the game. A lot of Warfare's skills do absurd amounts of damage late in the game with a two handed weapon often while providing utility. I had a Polymorph and Warfare heavy long sword user who had defensive needs taken care of between Polymorph's armor abilities and CC/Debuffs so he could cleave down a lot of targets quickly. His job was burst damage to swiftly reduce the number of targets I needed to CC.

It's by no means required but it works well for some characters.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Two handed weapons are amazing especially once you can pump up crit chance.

And when you can't pump up crit chance early on there's enrage. By early act two you can drop it for the Burn My Eyes equivalent for accuracy and stupid wits gain and maul everything.

butts
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

Murder everything.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but isn't there a huge non-backwards compatible patch/overhaul that comes out for this game in like.. 3 days? You may want to hold up.

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    On the hardest difficulty without the perma death, my lone wolf two hander was two shotting late game enemies. Early game the builds are the least divergent but the difference between different specs becomes more and more apparent as the game goes on.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »

Murder everything.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but isn't there a huge non-backwards compatible patch/overhaul that comes out for this game in like.. 3 days? You may want to hold up.

Got a link for info on this?

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Murder everything.

Here's one. New version coming on August 31st.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Good summary here too

https://kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2207876
    • Economy changes - We’ve updated the prices of many items in the game. Unique items were usually too valuable, while armor prices now better reflect their utility in combat and the cost won’t vary so heavily.
    • We slightly reduced the damage on some of the three Source point skills. (Skills like Arrow Storm and Meteor Shower will still be super cool, but not an 'I win' button.)
    • Totems will now gain intelligence as they grow in levels. This will help their damage output scale better towards the end game.
    • Lone Wolf abilities and attributes will now be capped at the normal cap levels. Currently, Lone Wolves can increase their abilities and attributes past the soft caps of 40 and 10 respectively. In Definitive Edition, this will no longer be possible - you will only be able to double your points to the cap and not beyond.
    • The Torturer talent will allow you to apply status effects through magic or physical armor.
    • The difficulty of persuasion encounters across Arx have changed. Most of these encounters were unproportionally hard compared to the result.
    • We buffed some underused skills. Petrifying Touch, Sucker Punch, and Infect are getting increased damage. Mosquito Swarm will have a shorter cooldown and and Door to Eternity will last longer.
    • AI will be more likely to attack players with Damage Reduction abilities. These abilities usually resulted in the AI avoiding you rather than ever doing damage to the AI.
    • High quality wands will create surfaces.

Balance changes, act 4 plot totally reworked, combat balance changes for some fights, challenge curve should be smoother, some new fights & encounters, quest log totally reworked, UI changes/improvements, "Almost 150k words of text have been changed and we've recorded over 130k new words", the tag system is utilized a lot more in dialogues.

Cog on
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

Murder everything.

The new, easier, Story difficulty level makes fights less challenging, and introduces a guaranteed Flee option and Resurrection skill (not just scrolls).

Yeah I may have to wait for this.

• Options

Murder everything.

The new, easier, Story difficulty level makes fights less challenging, and introduces a guaranteed Flee option and Resurrection skill (not just scrolls).

If they're smoothing the difficulty curve, it may become less of an issue. There are fights throughout the game that are shockingly harder than previous content.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Murder everything.

If they're smoothing the difficulty curve, it may become less of an issue. There are fights throughout the game that are shockingly harder than previous content.

It's not just that they are harder. It's that they aren't particularly fun when you figure out the way through. Way too many bosses rely on stuns, ability stealing, and summoning as the game progresses. It just becomes a grind of surviving through rounds of abuse until you get a chance to heal and do some damage, and repeating that process until the boss and summons are dead.

• Options

Murder everything.

It's not just that they are harder. It's that they aren't particularly fun when you figure out the way through. Way too many bosses rely on stuns, ability stealing, and summoning as the game progresses. It just becomes a grind of surviving through rounds of abuse until you get a chance to heal and do some damage, and repeating that process until the boss and summons are dead.

Don't forget the scores of enemies with the skill that lets one shatter all the armor of anyone with less armor and thanks to inflated armor levels in Act 4 they constantly render your tankiest tank helpless.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Lone Wolf is getting gutted unless they add to the health/armor increase it gives. Part of why it's so amazing is that you get double stats, doubling the character's effectiveness.

butts
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm picking this up Friday for PS4, pretty stoked. The wife and I played through 1 twice now, love that couch co-op is starting to come back a bit.

Kane Red Robe on